GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2021 9:00 am  #101

Re: GW vs UMASS-Lowell Game Thread

moneybox wrote:

How many times will this school get in a situation where it hires a coach long term and can't afford to fire him?  I guess the sky is the limit!

Can’t say I’m surprised this team is so disorganized there wasn’t a team to join with all the turnover. That said we shouldn’t be this bad. Reminds me of Scotty Bowman with the Sabres. He won before and after and it could be the same way for JC.

11/20/2021 9:07 am  #102

dmv, I don’t think the problem is that the pieces don’t fit well together.  I just don’t think the staff has the tools to do the fitting.  I’m sure that any of our coaches in recent memory would’ve been able to get more out of this team (yes all of them).  Literally every game they start with some rudimentary system, but then give it up and devolve into hero ball.  There doesn’t seem to be any consequence for poor play for some players.

11/20/2021 9:29 am  #103

GW0509 wrote:

Who on this team can give a Mike Hall UNCW type speech to wake this team up?

Well, Mike Hall was available....

11/20/2021 9:37 am  #104

KenPom #255, looking up at Prairie View, Brown, North Florida, Howard ...

11/20/2021 9:49 am  #105

First in person game in quite a long time, and while an enjoyable experience, being from Boston, never thought we'd lose to the "Mill" team. 

Few thoughts and observations. We lack focus and discipline. I would call it professionalism. And that comes from floor and coaching leadership. Someone here said we lack a floor general - could not agree more. Carl Elliot wouldn't be yucking it up at half time, throwing down dunks and random shots. On a side note, I do wonder if the lack of focus is a generational thing and/or transfer thing? No one has roots therefore no one is a leader. Lindo is trying, but being limited to getting the ball on the block and backing his man down is a poor way to get our best player the ball. 

I can only surmise that Jamion is a "players" coach, their friend. Which is great for recruiting, but terrible for execution. In some ways the opposite of Lonergan. 

Things I did like:
Freeman. Great body control and energy. Dribbles with his head up. 
Bamisile's athleticism. Guy can jump out of the gym. No freaking discipline, just wild. Coaching would do him well. 

11/20/2021 9:53 am  #106

Mentzinger wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Who on this team can give a Mike Hall UNCW type speech to wake this team up?

Well, Mike Hall was available....

I would be all for letting Mike skip the usual steps on the coaching ladder if we had more experienced ACs in the other spots.  Knowing what we know now I don't think Mike is what this team needed from a coaching standpoint.  

11/20/2021 10:08 am  #107

Point guards are the glue that makes a successful team function and succeed. The two “small” point guards that Umass/Lowell had were far more effective than anyone GW had. I would bet that they were lightly recruited. They controlled tempo, passed well and rarely turned the ball over. I like Freemans work ethic and believe he will be a jewel for this team. Bishop is a turnover machine, dribbles too high and makes a low percentage of shots. JCs success is tied to him. Unfortunately, failure is around the corner for both.

11/20/2021 10:18 am  #108

UMass Lowell:   17 assists on 27 made baskets, 10 turnovers.  GW  6 assists on 18 made baskets, 19 turnovers.  As I say after every game now, look at the quality of shots they took compared with the quality of shots we took.  After praising Bishop for his best half of the season, he finishes shooting 6-14 (admittedly his best shooting game of the season), with 7 turnovers and the same 2 assists he finished the first half with.  Great game for Bamisile with 11 points and 14 rebounds?   The 11 points came on 4-15 shooting.   And zero assists.   Ricky Lindo, with almost a double double (8 points, 9 rebounds), on 2-10 shooting, and zero assists and 3 turnovers.  Noel Brown with 9 minutes and 0 points, 1 rebound and 3 fouls away from the ball, on moving picks.  The very first play of the game for GW was our pounding the ball into Brown in the low post and his missing the shot.   He finished the game shooting 0-1.  In 36 minutes, Adams with 1 field goal.    As I sat in Friday before Thanksgiving traffic on I-95 before the game, I wondered why am I doing this, especially coming from the on and off the court disasters I attended in California.   I never seen a team decompose as quickly as GW does.  This is from a lack of leadershp both on and off the Court.    I agree with the sentiments expressed by many...its time to blow it up, hire an experienced AD who knows what he or she is doing, then go on a serious search for a coach who knows what he is doing.   Or stop pretending we are trying to compete and drop us down to a level where we are competitive (even though I don't believe that there is any conference in D-1 in which we would be competitive).   But this season very well may be lost, as we have a series of gifted athletes without basic basketball skills, and a coach that has no clue as to how to drive the bus.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (11/20/2021 6:39 pm)

11/20/2021 12:25 pm  #109

LSF-My sentiments—EXACTLY.-Thank you.

11/20/2021 3:38 pm  #110

BM wrote:

dmv, I don’t think the problem is that the pieces don’t fit well together. I just don’t think the staff has the tools to do the fitting. I’m sure that any of our coaches in recent memory would’ve been able to get more out of this team (yes all of them). Literally every game they start with some rudimentary system, but then give it up and devolve into hero ball. There doesn’t seem to be any consequence for poor play for some players.

LSF, who has a unique vantage point from attending the horrors in California, FQ in his analysis and many others have spoken to the disorganization very well. But this from BM also offer clear insight. 
   We have a chance to salvage a game and we have poorly chosen shots and hero ball. Adams, who maybe can make those on a good day, fires up a quick maybe 28 footer with no rhyme or reason. Bishop makes several turnovers/airballs in a quick span. Bamisile and Lindo take bad shots.  We welcome their talents, but they're not singular. These are players who have the ability to do well in a coordinated effort, but it's not there.
   The guys have to play together--and have done for most of  two halves of games this season. Only two halves total this year, but is possible. And the coaching staff needs to reinforce that.  Everyone wants to prove themselves, when the way to get out of this funk is teamwork. We see a lot more of it from all the lesser teams beating us.
   Remember, JNJ being benched a few times for bad decisions. But for some players on this team, as noted in numerous posts, there is no accountability. This is an inexperience at the A-10 or above level coaching staff that falls in love with players too long.
   Added to a system where there is no clear direction or strategic response.
   No matter what happens the rest of the year, barring a NCAA or NIT berth, this inexcusable start is not worthy of the even modest expectations we have for GW basketball.

11/20/2021 5:20 pm  #111

BM wrote:

dmv, I don’t think the problem is that the pieces don’t fit well together.  I just don’t think the staff has the tools to do the fitting.  I’m sure that any of our coaches in recent memory would’ve been able to get more out of this team (yes all of them).  Literally every game they start with some rudimentary system, but then give it up and devolve into hero ball.  There doesn’t seem to be any consequence for poor play for some players.

Well said.  We have the players, but the staff isn’t coaching them to he a winning team. 

Btw, does anyone else know what that set was we used multiple times with two guys standing still at edge of paint (one near the elbow, one on low block on opposite side), one guy dribbling at the top of the key, and only the other two moving to get open, but with a clogged lane limiting options?   Have we been running that a lot, and I just never noticed until the second half yesterday?

11/21/2021 1:37 pm  #112

Deleo wrote:

I know people say to give JC more time, but this is atrocious.  What are we settling for here?  We would struggle against Div 2 teams right now.  Sorry, but the coach and AD need to go.  It’s difficult to think of starting over, but what do we have to lose?  Nothing.  

I just don’t know how anything will even happen.  There probably isn’t a lot of money on the table, and there is an interim President.  So we are stuck.  This is bad.

Agreed! As one respondent stated earlier, we're stuck through next season. Terrible situation!

11/21/2021 5:11 pm  #113

I am getting older, and my wife likes to remind me that I forget things, but did't we have a national search and quickly came up with JC?  I also recall some of us stating how could a national search be done so quickly....almost like it was not nationally based.

But what do I know?

11/21/2021 7:25 pm  #114

Watching Tennessee beat UNC today there was something I wish we had. They start 3 Point guards. Lots of movement, assists and good TEAM play. Like others have mentioned before I think we have some players now, but they have to act like a team. Dam, my old HS coach would fly off the handle if he saw selfish play and lack of effort on his team. It's true. You can't be a friend of players if your the coach. Respect is important.

Did anyone see that interview with the 3 coaches (Syracuse, Boh), UNC (Williams) and Duke (Coach K) ? The game has really changed and the influence of the NBA is paramount. Things will never be the same. Like Vanderbilt already lost a player to the transfer portal.

11/22/2021 6:36 am  #115

Mike K wrote:

I am getting older, and my wife likes to remind me that I forget things, but did't we have a national search and quickly came up with JC?  I also recall some of us stating how could a national search be done so quickly....almost like it was not nationally based.

But what do I know?

Mike, I seriously doubt there was a genuine national search. After the embarrassment to the school my guess is that Vogel et al. wanted to put the matter to rest quickly. Due diligence received short shrift. Jackie Kvancz was plugged in and never would have hired someone like JC. That's my guess.

11/22/2021 6:43 am  #116

National search? GW was looking for a nice guy who wouldn't cost them too much. They got him. 

11/22/2021 9:52 am  #117

BM wrote:

dmv, I don’t think the problem is that the pieces don’t fit well together. I just don’t think the staff has the tools to do the fitting. I’m sure that any of our coaches in recent memory would’ve been able to get more out of this team (yes all of them). Literally every game they start with some rudimentary system, but then give it up and devolve into hero ball. There doesn’t seem to be any consequence for poor play for some players.

BM, I think we are more or less on the same page. At the end of the day, the lack of fit falls on the coaches. You definitely won't see me disagree that the coaching the guys we have to play as a team is the biggest problem right now. JC does not have control of the team right now - you can give players the freedom to make the right reads, but right now he's giving them the freedom to do whatever they want and that includes taking bad shots and playing in isolation.

I think when it comes to fit, I was more or less referring to the fact that 1) we lack an effective floor spacer which cramps space offensively, 2) it appears that JC recruits based on talent and tries to shape his system around whatever he has instead of recruiting for a set philosophy and 3) the roster is top-heavy this season - something I didn't feel the previous couple of years.

The streaky shooting was a concern going into the year, and five games into the season those fears were definitely warranted. We are shooting 29% from 3 as a team. Coaching here to get us open shots would help (many shots have been contested so far), but Bishop, Bamisile, and Adams are all streaky at best which (in my opinion) caps the ceiling of this team regardless of coach. Adams in particular already had several seasons shooting under 30% from distance at UConn so it was somewhat wishful thinking on my part that his numbers would change significantly in year 4. I also almost feel like JC hates recruiting bigs or something. Whether Ira played or not, Hunter/Noel would have had to play at least some minutes on the floor and both clearly need more time to develop. JC has mentioned neither has played basketball full-time for that many years and it shows at times. I understand finding polished bigs is tough to do, but we have two open scholarships to use - even someone who can just rebound the ball down low would help. In the MAAC/NEC guards run the show so I'm not surprised that JC arrived at GW with that mindset.

#2 is the biggest issue I have with fit. Other coaches would have more success coaching these players in part because they already have a set system. JC is willing to adjust his system based on who he has on the team. I think that's great, but in a previous post I mentioned that the institutional success of a Davidson or VCU comes from the fact that they have a specific identity and those coaches go out and look for talent that matches that. JC effectively does the opposite. He talks a lot about mayhem but that "system" has not been played for significant stretches since he has arrived. The interesting thing about VCU (since mayhem is supposed to relate to havoc in a way) is that their biggest weakness has been playing in the halfcourt which has hurt their offensive efficiency the past several years. However, even their team at least plays together and generates enough steals/turnovers per game to make the style effective - the pressure scheme gives them an identity. When we have tried going uptempo this season we have been burned on the boards (JC has always said offensive rebounds is not a priority but we have been bad on the defensive side too), fouled a lot (concerning for a team with little depth), and been poor in transition defense (running back on defense theoretically should make us better in transition defense, but we have been bad in that category as well playing team after team that plays uptempo so far).

We definitely have perhaps five guys that are definitely capable of playing at a high level, but the dropoff after that on this roster is something I don't think I've seen at GW in some time. The balance is just off - perhaps we want Adams, Bamisile, Bishop, and Lindo to take the majority of the shots, but outside of Brayon pretty much every other player appears rattled when they receive the ball and other teams realize this. Guys like Qwanzi, Noel, and Hunter have to at least be comfortable taking shots when their number is called. I said in the offseason that Knapp's defensive numbers were bad (which they were at Cornell) but they weren't nearly as bad as Seymour's. Knapp at least has a track record of taking and making threes, and averaging 7 points at the D1 level is nothing to scoff at. Get him out there for stretches - he can at least put another scorer on the floor and stretch the floor, something this team could use right now. It cannot be understated how important Battle was stretching the defense in the ball screen offense. We actually checked out I believe with the 5th or 6th best offense during conference play last year. COVID made the schedule imbalanced, but right now we are missing some glue guy who can spot up and make shots on the team. After Brayon, we have Amir who is still clearly working his way back from injury, Hunter/Noel (very much a work in progress), Qwanzi (barely played at FGCU last year), and Daniel (still transitioning to the college game). We have already been hit with the injury to Hunter, but any injury to a starter could make things get ugly fast because there are few provens on the roster currently. 

Board footera