GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/01/2021 9:49 pm  #121

Re: GW vs BU Game Thread

Asked Jamion about the slow starts to the second half in the post game press conference. Here's his response:

"It's been a theme for two years, so we've tried a lot of different things. I mean, I've spoken to sports psychologists. I'm talking to different people. We've had music at halftime, we've tried talking to them. We've tried yelling at them. We tried whispering to them. We've tried a lot of things. I think we're still trying to find the answer there. But I'm definitely not pleased with the way we're starting halves out. I mean, this is the fifth or sixth game we've been up at the half this year. So we're doing the work early. And we're just not starting the half out well enough obviously, as we can all see. So we're gonna just continue to identify it. I do think it's getting better. In the beginning years it was like 13-0 runs to start the half, now it's like 6-0 runs. So we've definitely cut that down some. But we just got to continue to grow as players and come out with a really tough mindset and just trying to continue to get better. And doing in the first four minutes of a half is important to do. We haven't found that solution yet. I know when we do find that solution we're every bit as good."

Last edited by gwstudent2024 (12/01/2021 9:50 pm)

12/01/2021 9:54 pm  #122

Agree with everyone who is saying Brayon needs to be the starting PG. Move Adams to the bench as 6th man.

12/01/2021 10:12 pm  #123

Geno wrote:

The offense stinks of five guys reluctant to pass the ball out of fear of never getting it back. Unwatchable.

It looks like streetball out there. Five guys running around for themselves. Chucking up shots.

I think our team is pretty well summarized in the final two plays. Great talent. I forgot whoever it was, but on the second to last play, one of our players outjumped his BU defender to get the offensive rebound. But the final play was a total bust.

Lots of talent. Just not well coached. This game was pretty boring, too.

12/01/2021 10:15 pm  #124

Oh, and the chef's kiss of the night was Tanya giving LeBlanc a "thanks for hiring me" award.

12/01/2021 10:16 pm  #125

PKGW wrote:

Undisciplined players = poor coaching

We are SUPER undisciplined.

12/01/2021 10:18 pm  #126

Geno wrote:

The offense stinks of five guys reluctant to pass the ball out of fear of never getting it back.  Unwatchable.

This is a great new way to express what everyone except GW coaches and most rotation players knows about us.
Once again,a lesser team makes a mockery our play in our house.
It was pretty hard to urinate this away,especially with 3 shots at the end, but somehow we did it!

12/01/2021 10:19 pm  #127

gwstudent2024 wrote:

Asked Jamion about the slow starts to the second half in the post game press conference. Here's his response:

"It's been a theme for two years, so we've tried a lot of different things. I mean, I've spoken to sports psychologists. I'm talking to different people. We've had music at halftime, we've tried talking to them. We've tried yelling at them. We tried whispering to them. We've tried a lot of things. I think we're still trying to find the answer there. But I'm definitely not pleased with the way we're starting halves out. I mean, this is the fifth or sixth game we've been up at the half this year. So we're doing the work early. And we're just not starting the half out well enough obviously, as we can all see. So we're gonna just continue to identify it. I do think it's getting better. In the beginning years it was like 13-0 runs to start the half, now it's like 6-0 runs. So we've definitely cut that down some. But we just got to continue to grow as players and come out with a really tough mindset and just trying to continue to get better. And doing in the first four minutes of a half is important to do. We haven't found that solution yet. I know when we do find that solution we're every bit as good."

Long "old fuddydud telling a convoluted story in a rabbinical style" warning: In the early 1990´s I covered the Costa Rican national football/soccer team´s failed attempt to qualify for the 1994 World Cup. In their first match of the final stage, they were up 2-0 at halftime at home against Honduras in what was basically the match that would determine Costa Rica´s fate. Honduras brought in a striker who played in England off the bench at the half and 12 mins later the match was even and Honduras would dominate the second half and eventually get the win. Asked after the match why his team went from dominating to getting its ass handed to it, the coach answered "there is no scientific explaination for what happened." A few mins later I asked the team´s captain and he said no one on the bench pointed out the substitution to the players until after the second goal had been scored and a substitution had been used to replace an injured forward for another forward (when the midfield needed shoring up). So, how does this relate? Well, turning those 13-0 runs to 6-0 runs (and tonight it was a 12-2 run, just to be accurate) but not knowing why they happen is a bit like not noticing the other team is doing something different until your chances of getting to the World Cup have set sail on a banana boat.
End rant. 

12/01/2021 10:20 pm  #128

At this point the loss is just fine. Hopefully each one is moving us closer to a new AD and then a new coach and another fresh start. What we currently have may not be able to compete in the Patriot League, and there is no rational reason to think it will get better. I graduated approximately 30 years ago and have not been so hopeless about the direction of the program since the last year of the Kuester era. Even then at least I knew we would be moving on from him - in the current situation who knows. I may have to watch 2 or 3 more years of this crap until changes are made.

Last edited by Yinka dont Stinka (12/01/2021 10:22 pm)

12/01/2021 10:23 pm  #129

After the game, JR Pinnock said we look like a team that doesn’t trust each other.  Maybe he’s right, or maybe they are just aren’t being coached to move and pass and find the open man.  We continue to rely far too much on one on one, especially when things start going bad or late in a close game.

There were possessions where I saw good movement, but then when it didn’t lead to an open shot, everyone stopped and we just waited for one guy to go one on one.  Seemed like maybe the movement was because we were running a play - so maybe what we are doing is running plays, but not a cohesive, consistent offense that uses motion and quick ball movement to find the open man for a good shot.  If we were doing that and missing, so be it, but we have so many bad possessions.

And on defense, we once again were totally unable to stop penetration.  That once again led to 12 offensive rebounds.  It did seem like we were competing harder on the boards, but when the other team penetrates at will and the post man has to step up, it leaves someone for an uncontested rebound. 

Some other observations while it’s on my mind.

- Their big man was killing us in the post, just taking his time and backing out bigs down.he was only 7-16, but got our front court in foul trouble and I’m guessing they got a number of easy putbacks on his misses (could be wrong on that)   It was frustrating on three levels.  First, that our bigs couldn’t guard him.  Second, that we never adjusted to have a wing or guard dig down to help on it - we are quick enough that a good coach would teach them how to help down low and recover to contest a three (Jarvis was great at teaching that)!   Third, it was frustrating that we don’t have anyone like that with Lee injured.

- Our lack of low post offense makes us really easy to guard.   We can’t shoot and we don’t have anyone down low to go to, so opposing teams just play the passing lanes and  clog the paint, forcing us into one on one chucks from three.

- we had sooooo many bad possessions in the second half.  So many times where one guy just held the ball and then shot a bad shot, often without even dribbling - just fading away standstill shots.

- Our ball movement is painfully slow.  So many times, the ball just stops.  Adams and Bam are both really bad at moving at the ball.  They catch it and then study the defense.  We need to just play with better tempo and swing the ball around. 

- Bryan Knapp got I believe 1 possession (or one where he touched the ball) and he did TWO great things I’ve rarely seen from anyone else.  He caught it at the foul line extended beyond the arc and VERY quickly swung it to corner (to a guy who slowed the ball movement down.). It was noticeable to me because it was the kind of ball movement we’ve seen from so many opponents but never from us.   Second, later in the possession (or on the next one), he was on the right side when the ball went to the post (Lindo I think). He took a quick step or two right to get open and give Lindo a passing lane, then as his defender recovered and Lindo went left, he quickly moved back left.  The ball didn’t come back to Knapp, but I would LOVE to see other guys constantly moving to get open instead of watching when the ball does go to the post.

More minutes for Knapp might really help our offense. 

-   Whoever said Bishop ball hogging was a problem is nuts.  He played well and was our only consistent scorer.   Even shot 10-19.

- JC made a bad mistake taking Freeman out at around 4:45 and not putting him back in until it was too late. Freeman was playing well and attacking the defense.  Our offense stagnated when he came out, and JC was WAY to slow to adjust.

- Bam had a horrible game.  Took bad contested shots or threes out of rhythm all game.  And a game crushing mental error late when we got a fast break with under a minute to go.  If you didn’t see it, Noel Brown gets a good block, Bam grabs the loose ball and starts to go, one on one.  Clearly he’s thinking dunk, but he doesn’t see Bishop streaking 25 feet up the court with literally no defender within 50 feet of him. Crowd can all see it and as Bam approaches half court  and Bishop is getting toward the 3 point line with no defense back, he looks up and finally passes it, but throws it behind James out of bounds.  It was a soul crushing turnover. 

- when we were down 2 with 16 seconds left, after the time out, we wound up with a Bam 3 - which is a bad shot with the game on the line.  I’m not going to say that’s how JC drew it up because I don’t know.  Freeman drove, drew multiple defenders, and found the open man, which was Bam (maybe BU intentionally left him, daring him to beat us?).  Bam was in rhythm off the good pass, but he probably still couldn’t have driven and passed, instead of shooting, since there was time left.  If the play was designed for a Bam three, that’s just dumb so I doubt it was the play. 

- Sure looked like Lindo got hacked across the arms on the final play.  From my angle, even though refs often swallow their whistles at the end, I was actually shocked because it seemed so obvious and clearly disrupted a pretty good shot.  I probably need to go back to see the TV, but it sure looked strange not to have a whistle there. 

- FT differential once again a killer.   We only took 2 FTs in the second half, and 6 for the game.  BU made 13 FTs, we only took 6.  Not blaming the refs for that (though they did miss a few).  I remember that being the kind of detail ML used to harp on - he wanted us making more FTs than our opponents took and we often did.  But we also aren’t going to get to the line when all we do is take pull ups off the dribble, threes without dribbling, and fadeaways in the post.  Are the coaches teaching them how to get to the line?   It’s bad.

- Adams defense was pretty good, but got God sakes man, move the ball quickly instead of just holding it and looking around every time it’s passed to you. 

-Lindo showed signs of regaining confidence after a couple of early misses, but then he was not involved in the offense down the stretch at all.  He did have some sick blocks in the game.

-Hunter Dean racked up the fouls.  He picked up his 3rd 25 feet from the basket, and he almost picked it up twice out there right before that.  I don’t know what he was thinking reaching like that so far from the basket. We need him on the court. 

- Tyler Warner.  I didn’t even know we had a guy with that name on the team. Probably a hard worker, but I don’t understand why he got 7 minutes. It’s not like he was putting up much resistance inside or getting any rebounds (he did get one stop, where the BU put up a wild shot while Warner just stood still, after easily giving up 2 layups just before).  Yeah, who knew we had a Tyler Warner? 

- will Amir Harris ever shoot again?

- Finally, we scored 10 points in the first 18 possessions of the second half.  Once again, we just collapse to start the second.  They scored 10 points in 5 possessions coming out of the half. .  See a problem? This team is mentally broken and JC needs to figure it out.

2-7 against this schedule feels as bad as anything since the 1-27 year.  We are just playing some really, really bad basketball. Dismal.

12/01/2021 10:24 pm  #130

Free Quebec wrote:

Skittles wrote:

Not seeing much adjustment out there. Terribly clear that the talent is there to do better but they are not being coached up to this level

Agree.   Gave you a hard time when you crapped on everyone’s happiness about the Maryland game, but you were right.

No worries, I sorry to be right in this case. Frustrating to see actual talent on the court with zero coaching to give them opportunities to win

12/01/2021 10:52 pm  #131

“ We've had music at halftime, we've tried talking to them.”

Yes. It’s come to this. And it’s time for this Bozo and his overseer to go.

12/01/2021 11:19 pm  #132

It has been pretty clear from day one that Christian just tells his players to go out on the court and do what they think best without involving himself too much.  Problem is that these are still kids and most have not played together for any real length of time. Consequently,. hands- on coaching is a must--particularly in the second half.  Coach isn't paid to delegate coaching responsibilities to his players. The result is what we see game after game.  

12/01/2021 11:39 pm  #133

Found it interesting that in one of the late timeouts,our team was on the court while the cheer teams were still performing. And JC was talking to his coaches.
  Meanwhile, the BU coach was still instructing his players huddled around him.

12/02/2021 12:32 am  #134

Another thing from the postgame interview: Jamion said multiple times he thought they "executed well down the stretch". Meanwhile, they didn't score a point in the last 3:50 of the game

12/02/2021 12:34 am  #135

jf wrote:

Found it interesting that in one of the late timeouts,our team was on the court while the cheer teams were still performing. And JC was talking to his coaches.
Meanwhile, the BU coach was still instructing his players huddled around him.

I noticed the same thing on a couple of occasions.    More and more, Christian seems like a nice guy who is in over his head at this level.     

12/02/2021 2:15 am  #136

gwstudent2024 wrote:

"It's been a theme for two years, so we've tried a lot of different things. I mean, I've spoken to sports psychologists. I'm talking to different people. We've had music at halftime, we've tried talking to them. We've tried yelling at them. We tried whispering to them. We've tried a lot of things."

I laughed at this one. He tried whispering to them? Maybe JC should try the telephone game next. He can whisper "play together as a team" and it's likely the last player who receives the message hears "play selfishly and don't pass the ball".

Also why did the school stop posting the postgame press conferences? In the ML era, they would always get posted at the end of games. I guess another indicator that the school doesn't really care even if some fans do.

Was starting Brayon a one game experiment? It just feels like JC is throwing stuff at the fan to see what sticks. Not sure how going back to the original lineup was the right move in any case. Brayon was the one guy who kept the team afloat in the second half. He definitely deserves more run than either Adams/Bamisile right now.

It just feels like JC has somewhat given up. 99% of coaches would have taken a timeout at the start of the second half when BU was on that run, but maybe he wanted the team to try to push through it/didn't think an adjustment could be made? It's just bad all around right now.

We now hold a -73 point differential after halftime through 9 games (hey it's an improvement!). Wright State must be really bad for us to have outscored them by 1 in the second half.

I don't really know what to say at this point. There are just too many issues to have any confidence of a turnaround anytime soon.

- Rebounding: We were outrebounded by 10 against a Patriot League team missing two of their best rebounders. Whyte missed the game, and Mathon's backup Zink didn't see any action. Mathon represents everything this team should try to be. Patient on offense and taking a good shot. His experience playing college basketball showed.

- Shooting: GWRising mentioned in the other thread that things may turnaround if the team can hit 40+% from the field and 35% from three. I can see the first figure if we ever learn how to share the ball and generate open shots. I don't think I see 35% from three on a semi-consistent basis with this team anytime soon. JC did not recruit guys who can shoot this offseason. My heart sank when Adams was alone at the top of the key, took his time to shoot, and still clanked the shot in the first half. I'm not sure that taking more than 10 threes in a game as a team is the move this season.

This team has some athletes for sure, but they feel less like basketball players with the way they play which is why there is a feeling of streetball being played right now. Getting highly touted guys doesn't help if they don't fit a system (if JC has one) and play as a team. Look no further than Memphis. It makes sense why we recruited Bates even if he was never going to come here. He is more of an individual stats guy than a guy who makes a team better.

- Passing: I will say the first two plays of the game looked like pretty well designed sets that generated good shots (and we scored on one of them). This is something that I've noticed multiple times this season. We come out of the gates with two plays that look drawn up (generally a post touch to Noel/Hunter) but after that we return to iso ball (maybe I should call it ice-o ball because it usually leads to a shot that produces 0 points). Only 9 assists as a team again tonight. Players refuse to move unless they have the ball in their hands and we see only 1-2 passes max on an offensive possession. This has been no different in three years under JC. In the past, it looked less bad when we had someone like Jamison (who led the A10 in EFG% I believe) to bail us out with a made three. Bishop's still here but there is no one else who can make a jumper with consistency (and even Bishop is a bit streaky). Agree that Bishop isn't the one to blame tonight when he was the only thing keeping the team from potentially putting up 30 points as a team (thank God for Arizona State preventing us from possibly having the worst offensive performance of the night - they had 29 total points against Washington State).

Teams are going to zone us all season. We need to attack with Ricky in the mid-post and pass inside out. The lack of shooting will make things tough, but again guys have to move off the ball. I agree with FQ that Knapp seemed to have better passing instincts. I mentioned him in the other thread as a person who can help the shooting. He looked pretty lost defensively (he was running around like a headless chicken when he saw action) but that might be because he hasn't played much and didn't play last year. He was open on a couple offensive possessions but of course never found him on offense. Still think he can nab at least 10 minutes from what Adams/Bamisile are playing right now. We can use a 42% three point shooter and more depth.

- Fouling: It's already been mentioned, but Hunter commits multiple fouls far from the basket and Adams made a similar mistake. I am not sure that the team knows when to go for steals and when not to. Many times they aren't even close to swiping the ball but get called for a stupid hand-check call that is entirely avoidable. Mental mistakes occur early and often with this team. The free throw disparity has been mentioned. We were actually better in that category last year, partly because we had some shooters to open up driving lanes.

The defense was solid for the most part, although we were fortunate Harper failed to knock down some open threes when we lost him while rotating. Like any other semi-competently coached team, BU started attacking our bigs (and the paint) to get them in foul trouble. I thought for that reason Warner was useful even if it's just due to the fact that he is another big body. BU was able to get to the rim pretty easily but we did do well to make BU adjust on their shots once there which was a positive at least.

Adams and Bamisile cannot settle for threes, even if JC wants to give them the green light to shoot from anywhere. JC needs to bench them for taking poor shots that are contested. I stand by the comparison of Brendan playing like Maceo with better defense and worse shooting. He should not be taking 5 threes, but at least he forced things a bit less compared to the Florida games and gave up the ball on offense.

I've been less critical of Joe in the past, maybe partly because the highlight reel stuff sticks longer in my head and partly because he's basically a freshman but he also makes some terrible decisions every game and was the worst player on the floor tonight. If he even gets a little space he just shoots it and never passes the ball.

Still waiting for someone to step up from off the bench. Amir 0 shots in 8 minutes from off the bench. Qwanzi 1 turnover and nothing else in 3 minutes. Cannot afford to have Hunter with 4 fouls in 8 minutes. He is probably one of the better contributors on the team.

At the end of the day though, things just aren't clicking offensively. If we are making comparisons to the historically bad Mojo team, his last team finished 321st in offensive efficiency. We are currently 307th, which isn't too far off. I guess JC wasn't lying when he said he was "trying to do something that has never been done". The whole "play harder, play smarter, love deeper" thing he tweeted is missing "play together".

12/02/2021 7:45 am  #137

I think they're ripping bongs at halftime.

12/02/2021 8:09 am  #138

As someone eluded to in a post in another thread, we have all worked with someone who is a nice guy but just not up for the job.  Sure, it will suck getting rid of the guy, but he just can't cut it.  

That is JC.

12/02/2021 8:36 am  #139

A couple of positive observations.

1. The final play drawn up to Lindo was actually decent.

2. The student section was fairly full which was nice to see, especially 1-2 weeks before finals and on a Wed night.

12/02/2021 9:09 am  #140

This is money to me, "After the game, JR Pinnock said we look like a team that doesn’t trust each other."
This is why the adjustments don't work. The players don't trust each other; so, what we see is what we get.
Makes sense with all the roster turnover and the ease of transferring, guys think my professional basketball opportunities depend on ME. ME filling up the stat sheet. Not in a crazed you-must-respect-me fashion, but enough to prevent true buy-in. Buy-in requires trust and trust they don't got.

Board footera