GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/22/2019 9:14 pm  #121

Re: GW vs UMKC Game Thread

I have a quibble with what is otherwise yet another fantastic dmvpirahna recap. Yes TNJr had a ton of steals, but in addition to unwise attempts to get on the Top 10 plays his overall on-court decision making is not at the D1 level yet. He will mature and learn more about the game with experience, but Armel´s play today showed that there are times when it would be better if TNJr were sitting next to a coach watching plays develop than on the court developing plays that then need to be disected later in film sessions. Again, his mistakes are to be expected from someone with a grand total of five career D1 games under his belt.
Also unmentioned was TNJr´s penache for drawing fouls both when he had the ball and on defense, and he deserves kudos for it. I certainly did not expect a frosh to be able to do that, if his free throw shooting stays solid this could add 4-6 points per game to his totals by the time he is a senior.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (11/22/2019 9:15 pm)

11/22/2019 9:18 pm  #122

Usual good DMV job, though understates the horror.
Really had to see it for yourself on a blurry, dark Internet feed.
The 'Roos (what humiliation is losing to a team called Kangaroos) were spectacularly bad for about 30 or so of 40 minutes. A shooting percentage at some point that would have made them happy if they actually didn't have stats. We, playing not particularly well were conquering the Roos and we were up 23-7 or so at one point.They literally couldn't buy a basket.  It looked like a rout and those of who could see it could barely believe our eyes, nor probably the 4 to 6 fans present on ballroom chairs.
  We fall apart at around the 7 minute mark. The Roos go on a huge run, while we continue our usual 1 on 4 missing drives and inopportune shots, followed by a matador defense, which we never mix up. Not sure if we called timeout during the onslaught. No visible coaching or strategy as we folded.
As DMV pointed out Maceo was red hot early, but didn't get many shot attempts in the second half. Of course, he is not a new player. There were "media" timeouts. Total Roo dominance in the end and they were very, very bad Roos. Actual kangaroos would have a better shooting touch during much of the game.
    The good news is that our hard-nosed experienced guard with the toughness we so sorely lacked during our cringing fold to the Roos Rampage wasn't there to muck up the team's chemistry, or mojo, so to speak. Not like we could have used any help against UMKC.
     On the plus side, when one amortizes the wonderful Flo TV Internet and color commentary over the span of our "televised" games, the cost per GW loss is coming down rapidly.

11/22/2019 10:30 pm  #123

Looks like we will be playing Evansville in our next game as Joe Dooley and the ECU Pirates win 85-68.

11/22/2019 10:31 pm  #124

Well last year's team started Mazz TNJr Toro and DJ Williams, none of whom played tonight.  Those guys would beat UMKC and Morgan St, today's starting 5 was nearly even money on a neutral court.

I'd that's personnel not Coaching X and Os.

Mojo of course, went from 20 wins to 15 wins to 9 wins as his personnel got worse, and ML went from 9 wins to 13 wins to 24 wins as his personnel got much better.
Because basketball is 95% about personnel.

I'd wager JC will have an arc more resembling the latter 

11/22/2019 11:51 pm  #125

Not disagreeing about there being a personnel problem - that is definitely the big factor as I said. 

But, we have lost two games in a row to first year head coaches (neither who have their personnel). In both these games, we led 70+% of the game. Anytime you blow a lead in a game where you've led for so long can be partly attributed to not making enough coaching adjustments. We conceded 51 points to UMKC in the second half, and the running theme has been being gashed at the rim all season. With AT out, you think we would have made some adjustments but there weren't any today. Morgan State and UMKC both made adjustments on both sides of the ball during the game, and we did not. UMKC was settling for jump shots in the first half, then took it to the hoop relentlessly in the second half. The ball movement offensively in the last seven minutes was poor. It's like we got away from everything that was working in the first half.

None of this means much regarding the future (these tough outings serve as good learning experiences for the freshmen), but objectively the coaching down the stretch of these past two games has been questionable. Even with low expectations with W-L record and installing a new system, you still play to win the game. In games where we are facing weaker competition (this might be the last game of the season we are favored in, unless we face Morgan State again) I am more critical of blowing such a lead.

11/23/2019 2:20 am  #126

Totally agree with The Dude.  It’s personnel.  We will start to look better when we have Toro and Harris playing, but we are still several good players away. 

GWAA, what adjustments would you make?   We have literally no D1-level bigs healthy right now. 

I’ve said it before, but go back and watch Hood College or catholic in the exhibitions against us the last two years.  Javi would not even be one of the 2-3 best players on those teams.  He does his best, and gets a few stats on a bad team, but he would likely not start for Morgan state, AU, or UMKC.  In fact, without MoJo being desperate for a player and offering him off a Skype session and YouTube videos, Javi would probably not be a D1 player.

So there’s really no rim protection. 

In fact, our interior talent is so depleted without Toro (and Paar) that we have to five minutes to Ace Stallings - a guy who couldn’t contribute at Mt St Mary’s.

Then look at our other starters:

JNJ and Battle are freshmen.  They are talented and will likely be part of our resurgence over their careers, but they don’t have the luxury of learning on the job.  Walker is also a freshman, and is not good enough at this point to play major minutes for a top 250 tea, which is why he’s playing major minutes right now for a team that is losing to sub-300s. 

Potter is low major player.  He put up some stats at a sub-300 team and he appears to be what he is - a guy who can put up stats on a sub 300 team with some creativity, but given his defense he is not a guy likely to start for a top 250 team.  I mean, UMKC talent was bad, but their best players are at least equal to Potter. 

Maceo we know has offensive talent, but defense hasn’t clicked for him yet. Hopefully he improves on both ends  as the year goes on - I suspect having Toro and Harris to take pressure off will help him. I did expect more from him and my one real disappointment with JC is that he hasn’t yet figured out how to get the best from Maceo.

Mezzie is an enigma.  He shows flashes, but overall have you seen anything that would make you think he’d start for Morgan state? 

Juice plays hard but like Javi is probably not really a D1 level player (or at least not, a guy who could start for a top 250 team).  Again go back to Hood and Catholic - was Juice better than their players?  Not really.  At least not appreciably so.

I really don’t know what the adjustments or answers are.  We will win more than 1 game because we will have games where the shots go in or JNJ does what he did against Hood. Plus, if Toro was playing we probably win these last two games (don’t forget, we we’re playing without a guy who pulled down 42 rebounds in two games before he got hurt, that’s kind of a major loss on the glass when we have no other rebounders).

I do want to apologize for dogging the players in this post.  Hope they and their parents aren’t reading, or that if they do maybe it motivates them to prove me wrong and shut me up.  But I watch a lot of college hoops and I’m telling you, the talent level on our team is worse than almost anyone on the thread seems to understand (except maybe the dude). So sorry if it comes across harsh or mean, but our fans need perspective on what we are watching and, and least in part, why.

That said, I’ll continue rooting for them and remain hopeful that the return of Toro and Harris can help everyone improve by letting players slide into roles they are more naturally suited for, and by bringing more athleticism to a team that badly needs it right now.

11/23/2019 2:26 am  #127

Hugh wrote:

he followed up that initial tweet by saying it was sarcasm. https://twitter.com/haslametrics/status/1197954529561600000 

Just call me Mr Gullible.

11/23/2019 9:10 am  #128

Free Quebec wrote:

GWAA, what adjustments would you make? We have literally no D1-level bigs healthy right now.

Don´t think I am the one who has complained about adjustments (other than I hope they adjust the conference room from this morning´s Kwanis breakfast to a basketball arena in time for tipoff of the first game today). It is a sad state of affairs when UMKC and Morgan St come back to beat you because they are more talented.

11/23/2019 11:47 am  #129

It's crazy that this board reaches the point where it is debating whether the team's problem is personnel or X's and O's.  Has it occurred to anyone that the answer just might be both?

The point of having below level talent ought to be obvious to all.  Toro and Harris (and perhaps even Paar) being out isn't helping.  Nevertheless, some context would be welcome here.  The restless natives are upset about consecutive losses to American, Morgan State, and Kansas City.  I am not inclined to look up rankings but let's safely say that these programs are each in the bottom third of college basketball and perhaps even the bottom 20%.  GW was favored in each of these games so despite whatever you may think of our current talent level, those who have the job of factoring personnel, injuries, etc. before setting a line believed that GW was the better team (even if only slightly better in 2 of the 3 contests).

It is clear that our OOC schedule was crafted in a way to provide a team with all new coaches and a great deal of new personnel with some early season wins to bolster confidence.  These losses are the very games that are supposed to be wins.  The argument that we don't have enough talent will apply when this team loses at Vermont or say when it is swept by Richmond.  It is much a more difficult argument to buy when losing to teams that despite how deficient your talent may be, you are supposed to beat. 

The other argument regarding coaching or X's and O's comes into play as well.  I understand why we have not played zone; my guess is that we barely worked on zone defense if at all during the pre-season.  Very difficult to ask a team to play zone well when they have no real experience practicing it.  In addition, we have seen very little of "mayhem" which I'm guessing is due to one of two things:  a) JC is saving it for conference season so as to not put it on film; or b) he is unconvinced he presently has the personnel to effectively pull it off.  (Which would be ironic because we don't have the level of outside shooting needed to take advantage of his offense which is heavily reliant on taking 3's but that has not really stopped us.  Although, we took way less and shot a much better percentage last night against KC.) 

What is more troubling to me is to wonder why no defensive adjustments are being made to prevent opponents from attacking the rim.  Of course this could be a zone but it does not have to be.  There has been very little double teaming and very ineffective help defense.  If the problem is consistently being a step slow, we must do a better job of anticipating what the opponents are going to try.  Our most consistent nail in the coffin this season has been that we are getting badly beaten on points in the paint.  This needs to be tightened up even if it means allowing a few more three point attempts.

Finally, a word about JC having "caused" this situation (i.e. raising our expectations).  I would much rather have a coach who is upbeat, who makes it a point to connect with the student body and get them to come out (again, that Howard game crowd was unreal), and who proactively works to infuse excitement back into the program than one who pays no attention to these details.    He didn't set out to go 1-4 against this schedule so I'm afraid there are no damages to be had in any "false advertising" suit.    I hope he shows some flexibility in his coaching because right now, it's looking like GW basketball is one negative self fulfilling prophecy without much being done to change direction.

11/23/2019 12:13 pm  #130

“That said, I’ll continue rooting for them and remain hopeful that the return of Toro and Harris can help everyone improve by letting players slide into roles they are more naturally suited for, and by bringing more athleticism to a team that badly needs it right now.[“

FQ, big thumbs up to you comment!

11/23/2019 12:30 pm  #131

Ditto that thumbs up.

11/23/2019 12:59 pm  #132

You got to coach the talent you have, and the talent we have does not appear capable of playing the game that the coach is having them play.    A 3 point shot from a below average 3 point shooter is rarely a good game plan.    As is playing man to man against teams that are chewing us up and spitting us out in the lane.    Or not fouling in a tie game when we still had a foul to give.   Or not having your best 5 on the court as much as possible.  Or failing to make in game adjustments once the other team has figured us out.   Of course I will continue to root for them, but does it get any worse than being 1-4 against low majors, with the last loss being against UMKC in a game played in a virtually empty  ballroom?  Raise high?  I don't think so, at least not during the 2019-2020 season.   

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (11/23/2019 1:00 pm)

Board footera