GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2022 10:24 pm  #101

Re: GW vs Dayton Game Thread

Merrick wrote:

Covid or no Covid—that just looked like a very poorly coached basketball team, with some of the worst defensive play and adjustments I’ve seen in my lifetime as a GW fan. If it’s not JC, then we have some of the worst assistant coaches in the country.  Someone has to be accountable. 

I hope to God I’m wrong, but It’s looking more and more like JC’s biggest wins at the Smith Center will be wins over GW by MSM and Siena.

Adjustments?  There were adjustments?

1/08/2022 10:34 pm  #102

22ndandF wrote:

but for goodness sake, to suggest Jamion doesn't know what he's doing, or worse, that he's lying, or stupid or trying to mislead us is just hideous and juvenile behavior.  Why don't we all give the team a chance to play for a while and see where we are at the end of the season?  

Merrick wrote:

It’s looking more and more like JC’s biggest wins at the Smith Center will be wins over GW by MSM and Siena.

This is sort of what I was getting at with my poorly phrased thread earlier this season that JC is coaching like a coach on the hot seat. Prior to coming here, JC had the resume of a coach who plausibly could be hired by an A10 school. I seem to recall his name was brought up for Georgetown before Ewing was hired so it’s not like he was plucked from obscurity like Mojo. He clearly “can coach” as he won the NEC tournament twice. You don’t win conference tournaments if you’re clueless on how to coach basketball. 

The JC of MSM and Siena does not look the JC of today. Not only did those teams play with “Mayhem” on defense but even on offense there were cuts and movement to get guys open for threes. Frankly, the players on his MSM teams played with a sense of aggressiveness that I have not seen once here at GW. They weren’t afraid to go up against Villanova in the NCAA tournament even though Nova eventually pulled away. Maybe JC got lucky at MSM to have someone like Junior Robinson running the point. But I am convinced MSM JC would beat GW JC based on hustle alone.

As LSF said, what we’re getting is really no different than Mojo’s last year. The offense is slow and bland. The defense is non existent and the guys show absolutely zero effort (maybe with the exception of Brayon). I don’t know if maybe JC got in his own head too much moving up to the A10 that the MSM style of play wouldn’t work but he really should’ve just tried to run things like he did at MSM even if he didn’t have the personnel for it in year 1.

I think he probably now regrets branding himself as a turnaround artist because after the difficulty of Year 1 he’s spent the next two years trying to patch together a turnaround and it’s arguably gotten worse with supposedly better talent.

We have to go 8-12 the rest of the way to match our record from his first season, a team filled with Mojo recruits. Anyone see THAT happening?

Last edited by GW0509 (1/09/2022 9:23 am)

1/08/2022 10:40 pm  #103

Out comes the parade of fake names, to amplify one negative fan's negativity.  Why don't you just have enough dignity to do it under one made up name?

1/08/2022 11:13 pm  #104

22ndandF wrote:

Many of you know much more about basketball than me, and perhaps the harsh words and criticism of Jamion is somewhat valid. This was our first game in almost a month and we were playing against of the nation's better teams and one of the A-10 heavyweights and we had no real home court advantage.  I'd also suspect that Jamion has been unable to have full practices with his newly formed team for a long time, until possibly very recently.  On top of all of that, we've had an obvious problem in the middle since the year began and it can't be fixed with current personnel. Against this backdrop, IMO it's not reasonable to express valid frustration by pointing the finger at any player or our coach.  IMO, it's like blaming someone for a hurricane. I'm not saying we're perfect, but for goodness sake, to suggest Jamion doesn't know what he's doing, or worse, that he's lying, or stupid or trying to mislead us is just hideous and juvenile behavior.  Why don't we all give the team a chance to play for a while and see where we are at the end of the season?  

Wow!  Have you not been paying attention the last 2.5 years?   When you watch the games, are you thinking that we are running a cohesive offense or defense?   Do you believe that the players are fundamentally sound?   Do you think we are a half season away from being competitive?   Do you think that this team, under this coach, can even sniff 500 next season?    Count up the numbers of games we lost under Christian that we should have won as opposed to the number of games that we won but should have lost?   Which is the higher number?   Even with their flaws, do you think the players are playing up to their potential?   Are there problems in the middle?  Absolutely.  There are also problems at the point.   And the front court.   Who assembled this team?   Answer...it is 100% on Christian.   Its as if he recruited the kids entirely on highlight videos that they made as opposed to an assessment of strengths and weaknesses.  I can go on and on, but let me throw it back at you 22nd and F...except for a very pleasant and likable manner, what exactly about the coach do you like?    

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (1/08/2022 11:41 pm)

1/08/2022 11:15 pm  #105

When only four players score in the game, it pretty much sums up how top-heavy this roster is. I tried to talk myself into this roster (despite the glaring shooting and frontcourt flaws prior to the season), but the reality is that it's just not a good team. How much you want to chalk that up to COVID is up for debate, but honestly the team has looked pretty much like this all season thus far through 13 games. Dayton has 10(!) freshman on their team and they just blew us out of the water.

I'm sure pretty much everyone on the team is frustrated, but Ricky's face to me looked the most evident. He got off to a great start this year, but I wonder if some of the bruises he's taken fighting down low has hurt his effectiveness some. Lindo is shooting 4/16 (25%) in his last three games. He's been more of a defensive player, but he just hasn't become a go-to guy on offense this season. He has only reached double figures in 5 of 13 games this year. We don't find him consistently enough in the high post when teams zone us and he just feels like an afterthought on offense. I thought he gave it a great effort in the first half but seemed to quit some after halftime. I don't know how he takes only three shots in 28 minutes and fails to score. He needs to be a bigger part of the offense otherwise this team cannot possibly be better than it is currently.

Brendan just doesn't do enough to warrant 30 minutes a game, but that again shows how limited the roster is. He is shooting 15/69 (22%) from three on the year, and has had five games where he's missed all his three point attempts while taking 4+. He is a decent enough defender, but overall settles too often on offense (maddening because when he takes it inside he's had a lot of success and is an 85% free throw shooter). At this point of his career, I was hoping he would make better decisions with the ball.

I still think Bishop's defense has improved a bit this year and he has in general forced it less this season. His threes were good shots and actually open, but overall he is a high-volume scorer and streaky shooter. His three point percentage has hovered around 30% for his career, so it's not unexpected that he would run a bit hot and cold.

I definitely think Brayon and Joe are two good building blocks. I still feel Joe takes bad midrange shots that sometimes interrupts the flow on offense, but he is still young enough that I think with coaching he will fix that. Brayon plays so hard on both sides of the ball all the time and I wish we had more like that on this team. He has been far and away the most consistent player for us night in and night out.

The rest of the team is just not A10 quality truthfully. I don't know how I can believe JC says he trusts Hunter and Noel when they play a combined 12 minutes in a game where they are clearly needed against a tall Dayton team. Qwanzi should not be playing 18 minutes, although I did see him make a couple nice hustle plays. I don't know how healthy Amir is at this point if he barely plays. He actually does make good passes in the halfcourt and I think he should play a bit more. Continue to think Knapp is wasted when this team could clearly use more shooting to open things up. If Nixon is in the plans long-term and is barely playing now, why not redshirt him? It just seems like the second half of the roster is just guys that we signed as "high upside developmental projects" but this team clearly needs a few more players that are closer to being able to contribute right now. Minus Ira, this is what the team looks like fully healthy. Knock on wood, everyone else has stayed healthy.

The way the roster looks right now is a consequence of JC's first year recruiting. It is never easy to recruit in your first year as coach, but the guys he signed within his first year - JNJ, Shawn, Amir, Lincoln, Tyler, Noel, Sloan, Hunter (I may have missed a couple) - are either no longer on the team or have barely made progress. The guys that he has brought in since to fill the gaps haven't made up for the miss on recruiting in year 1. Sadly, it feels like Daniel is going to add to that list and Brayon is very much the exception.

I did see some really nice plays drawn up in the first half, but much like other games this season the team gets away from that in the second half and it becomes a 1 on 5 scrimmage like feel as others have said on here. The game was already decided, but that doesn't just mean hoist up threes to get back in it. The team just isn't very disciplined and takes bad shots. The defense is by comparison a lot better than the offense, but as Dayton showed today the better teams can exploit our lack of communication rotating over and kill us time after time near the hoop. We have good individual defenders but don't defend as a team. Dayton always found the open man today. The team also just lacks chemistry in general - I'll blame the number of bobbled passes, Bishop throwing a pass out of bounds in the backcourt, and Bamisile giving up the ball in the backcourt on COVID, but there just hasn't been a stretch in the JC era where the team looks completely on the same page.

I definitely think COVID made our play look a lot worse than it probably will be later in the year (although the effort in the second half in general was objectively bad), but man the lack of shooting and frontcourt ability is going to hamper the team the rest of the year. Even if most of the team returns next season, that may not be a good thing because these problems will persist. Unfortunately, blowing things up again will lead to the challenge getting everyone to be on the same page yet again. Definitely hard to be excited about the short-term prospects for this team, and although it's hard to take some of the things JC says in the presser seriously, I still really want him to succeed. He's just a very likable guy. The reality though is that there are just too many issues with this team currently to seriously believe an improvement is on the horizon. With four of the next five games on the road, it doesn't get any easier.

1/08/2022 11:38 pm  #106

Mojo's record his 3rd year at GW basketball was 4-9 after 13 games, playing a much tougher schedule.  Losses included at Virginia, vs. Michigan, at Harvard. South Carolina and at Princeton.   Mojo would finish the season at 9-24, after going 4-14 in the conference.   Does anyone really see our winning 4 games in the conference or 9 games for the season?   Our last game under Mojo was on March 14th. Mojo was fired on March 15th.    

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (1/08/2022 11:42 pm)

1/09/2022 12:35 am  #107

The four players scoring, actually three, except for one with 4 points, seems quite bizarre.
Not team play.
Brown or even an ineffective Dean was needed or needed more to at least at times, counteract Dayton's height.
And Knapp and Nixon (at first I wondered who it was but figured in had to be him), etc. got 2 to 3 blowout minutes. No one else can contribute even a minute of energy. Paulsen noted the hangdog body language of our players on the court.
Not like everyone was so good that throwing someone new in there, including walkons who would at least  play with desperate energy, that we didn't need to try others and give them an opportunity. Even when the game was lost for good.
     Kind of like our mind is made up and whatever happens on the court--and in the season doesn't matter.  This is how we are going to do it, whether it works or not.

1/09/2022 10:54 am  #108

Deleo wrote:

FredD wrote:

I’m just so tired of GW doing nothing well. Doing nothing that might be a problem for the opponent.

There’s a lot of things causing that today:
long layoff
Covid
guys still learning each other’s games and how they fit together 
early start
chilly afternoon 
general malaise

I understand Deleo, but that doesn't explain doing nothing well for 40 minutes. I couldn't even tell what offense or defense the coaches were asking them to play.

1/09/2022 11:52 am  #109

That press conference was more falsehood than spin.  

1/09/2022 12:36 pm  #110

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

22ndandF wrote:

Many of you know much more about basketball than me, and perhaps the harsh words and criticism of Jamion is somewhat valid. This was our first game in almost a month and we were playing against of the nation's better teams and one of the A-10 heavyweights and we had no real home court advantage.  I'd also suspect that Jamion has been unable to have full practices with his newly formed team for a long time, until possibly very recently.  On top of all of that, we've had an obvious problem in the middle since the year began and it can't be fixed with current personnel. Against this backdrop, IMO it's not reasonable to express valid frustration by pointing the finger at any player or our coach.  IMO, it's like blaming someone for a hurricane. I'm not saying we're perfect, but for goodness sake, to suggest Jamion doesn't know what he's doing, or worse, that he's lying, or stupid or trying to mislead us is just hideous and juvenile behavior.  Why don't we all give the team a chance to play for a while and see where we are at the end of the season?  

Wow!  Have you not been paying attention the last 2.5 years?   When you watch the games, are you thinking that we are running a cohesive offense or defense?   Do you believe that the players are fundamentally sound?   Do you think we are a half season away from being competitive?   Do you think that this team, under this coach, can even sniff 500 next season?    Count up the numbers of games we lost under Christian that we should have won as opposed to the number of games that we won but should have lost?   Which is the higher number?   Even with their flaws, do you think the players are playing up to their potential?   Are there problems in the middle?  Absolutely.  There are also problems at the point.   And the front court.   Who assembled this team?   Answer...it is 100% on Christian.   Its as if he recruited the kids entirely on highlight videos that they made as opposed to an assessment of strengths and weaknesses.  I can go on and on, but let me throw it back at you 22nd and F...except for a very pleasant and likable manner, what exactly about the coach do you like?    

Long Suffering, I believe you've make some good points, and I don't disagree with many of them. The question you're asking me however I feel is silly. I like the same things everyone else seems to like about Jamion.  I also like that he has a vision.  I like that he does run plays.  I like that he doesn't tear the players apart in public when they don't execute.  What else to I like?  I don't know yet because he's really not had an adequate opportunity to showcase his skills (and nor have the players).  We clearly don't have a lot of depth, but a lot of that I would say is not Jamion's fault. IMO, he came in to a challenging situation and, mostly because of COVID-19, has not had the opportunity to do what he'd like.  That's why I feel some of the recent criticism of his performance as a coach is unwarranted and even objectionable. Last year one person on this board wrote some unthinkable and disgraceful things about the Coach. I'm not equating the invalid critiques with that, but I would expect better from adults.

Last edited by 22ndandF (1/09/2022 12:38 pm)

1/09/2022 2:42 pm  #111

How many years and how many times the entire team has to be turned over before the vision becomes
reality?

1/09/2022 3:13 pm  #112

Right now the vision is that JC has too many losses and it's not clear how GW is going to reverse the downward trend in his three seasons.

And then there is this: JC is on pace to be the first GW coach to have a three-year stretch where his team couldn't get its winning percentage above .375 since Bill Reinhardt in the 1960-61 (.346), 1961-62 (.375), 1962-63 (.348).

Once again, he seems like a very nice man and it would make me very happy to see this season's team start winning regularly and have some signs of more improvement next season. 

1/10/2022 12:07 am  #113

Thinking after 62 games (21-41) that Coach Christian is all of a sudden going to turn things around represents a form of insanity. Stop making excuses for him. Is a nice guy really all we want in a coach? If so, shame on us. Another form of insanity is thinking that the university or the athletic department will give a damn about the program.

1/10/2022 11:31 am  #114

The biggest issue to me is this team has consistently lost to low mid-majors all three years. It'd be one thing to struggle with top of A10 as JC builds the program back up, but we're consistently struggling with the likes of Coppin State, American, Hampton, etc. There is no reason GW should ever be a near-300 ranked KenPom team 

1/10/2022 11:46 am  #115

When you listen to this postgame press conference, you are reminded that some people are born salespeople who lack the capacity to properly service the sale, some are more introverted who thrive at servicing but not at selling, and a rare few are superstars who can do it all.  I so want to believe that we have one of those superstars on our hands but it's looking more and more like what we really have is the salesman who has trouble with the detail (servicing) aspects.

1/10/2022 1:59 pm  #116

I like JC and continue to wish him success. I'm sure he wants to turn this thing around more than any of us.

However, from the announcement of his hire, I thought he was a bad choice because he was not ready (which his .500% record at low level schools proved). Do I fault him for jumping on a 5 year contract and opportunity to coach in the A-10? Hell no - any of us would have done the same thing. The opportunity only arose because of the 2016 debacle. Like Mojo (who was also not ready), hopefully JC will have opportunities in the future and the GW stink on his resume will eventually fade away.

With that said, sit back and chill out because he is here another 2 years and someone else already said, nothing is going to suddenly change and make us a top 50 team again. After his 5th season, both Tanya and JC will be gone and the next hire will not be as a result of our 2016 screw up.

1/10/2022 4:44 pm  #117

Joel Joseph wrote:

After his 5th season, both Tanya and JC will be gone and the next hire will not be as a result of our 2016 screw up.

I wish I could believe this but nothing about the interim president indicates to me even a farthing, an iota, a speck of an interest or expertise in (re-)building a D1 sports program. The trend is down until shown otherwise.
I agree, JC is here for the duration of his contract. After that, there will be decisions greater than who our HC is at every level of the university, and JC/TV could easily survive based on some downward movement or just continnued benign neglect.
Remember what's important here: Our players don't feel abused, and we accommodate ADs of ALL kinds, regardless of their orientation. Love, people. Love for all.

Last edited by Mentzinger (1/10/2022 4:46 pm)

Board footera