GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/25/2022 5:16 pm  #201

Re: GW vs Rhode Island Game Thread

GWRising wrote:

Agreed dmvpiranha. JC's issues have more to do with personnel than x's and o's. The Lee injury changed a lot up front and put more stress of Brown, Dean and Lindo to rebound. I am confident our rebounding numbers would look a whole lot better with Lee in there. 

I don't doubt that Ira would have made a huge difference up front. I've watched him play at Arizona and he 100% would have been a difference maker on the glass (and maybe even would have balanced out the offense).

That doesn't answer why we didn't try to sign another big during the offseason. I understand JC was operating with the assumption that Ira and Ricky were going to be eating up the majority of minutes down low, but it really feels like wishful thinking that neither player was going to miss any time with an injury. Neither Hunter nor Noel was proven coming into the season (you can add Qwanzi as well) but given the construction of the roster it felt inevitable that either one was going to start at some point in the season. At least I'm glad that we brought in Tyler Warner if even as a walk-on but the team definitely needed another big with at least a bit of experience - one that could just rebound if nothing else. JC expected Noel/Hunter to take the next step, but if they didn't there was no Plan B given how the recruiting went in the offseason.

GWRising wrote:

Lindo has had so far a disappointing season offensively. This has hurt us as well. We needed him to score 14-16 per night to help offset the loss of a guy like Battle. He looked capable of that. Hasn't happened yet.

Ricky definitely seemed to drop off in productivity after the first few games of the season. I think part of that is due to how hard he has to work down low defensively given the aforementioned lack of frontcourt, but during a large portion of OOC play he was just not getting the ball consistently in the halfcourt offense.

His field goal attempts don't suggest that, but he really should have been touching the ball on pretty much every possession during OOC play. I'm not saying that JC drew it up that way, but it really seemed like we had no idea how to break a zone. Ricky was always standing in the high post yet our guards kept passing the ball back and forth along the perimeter and never got the ball to him. Ricky's best game of the season was against Wright State, when he had 12 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists. That was one game that comes to mind where it feels like we played many of our possessions through him. He didn't necessarily light it up on the scoreboard scoring-wise, but he made a huge impact. It doesn't feel like a coincidence that we won by double digits either.

Hopefully moving forward the ball finds him more often so he doesn't feel the need to hoist up a shot worrying that he's never going to get the ball again. The team is definitely playing better team ball now. I just wish it didn't take a couple months before that started happening. It didn't strike me necessarily that there was a chemistry issue because we weren't always missing other guys on passes but the extra pass just wasn't being made to begin with. I know JC keeps track of number of passes and stuff and I'm sure he's happier with where the team is at with that now. Hopefully next season we can play better team ball during OOC play.

GWRising wrote:

A related point is we don't have a consistent shooter. Losing Battle was huge. The thought was the trio of Bishop, Adams and Freeman could make up for that. So far they have not. But they are improving.

This is what concerns me more - JC as a recruiter while he's been at GW rather than JC as a coach. Again, hoping Adams was going to help out as a shooter was a fairly large misstep given he's 25% for his career. Even more so that he's averaging between 4-5 attempts per game. The stat sheet doesn't usually lie when a player has played multiple seasons of college basketball. I'm less worried about Joe because he's still just starting out. Not saying Brendan hasn't/can't be a useful piece (he's been great when he takes it to the hoop), but we need more guards that can shoot from the perimeter.

I assumed that's what Knapp was brought in for, which is why it was crazy to me that it took until January for him to start getting any minutes at all. He's probably been useful for the team in practice, but an experienced, productive college player riding the pine when the team could use shooting makes no sense.

Bishop certainly brings value to the team - despite what he showed last year during OOC play, I think he can be the go-to guy late in close games. It made a lot of sense to move him off the ball this season, but he's only shooting 30% for his career from 3. I know JC keeps track of player measurables (like height) from a recruiting standpoint, but I'm curious what he's looking for in terms of player efficiency shooting the ball. The SG should be shooting several percentage points better than 30% from distance. The A10 has never been the best shooting league in the country or anything, but teams are improving in their shooting from distance. We are dead last by over 2% over the 13th place team, Fordham. Ideally, we would be at least around 33-35% from distance.

I think (or at least hope) that JC figures out recruiting, but it was concerning early on when he was bringing in guys like Lincoln Ball, Tyler Brelsford, and Sloan Seymour who aren't even getting many minutes at low major schools. Brayon was certainly a good get. He has admittedly shown great improvement with his three point shooting in the past couple years (his senior year of HS and this year at GW) which has been huge for the team.

The recruiting really needs to pick up this offseason as JC can't have another year where the roster is so unbalanced between the starters and the rest of the bench. While the top of the roster has certainly improved, the depth of the roster in my opinion is worse than year 1 under JC. To date, JC has rarely recruited anyone who can shoot despite his preferred philosophy of devaluing playing through the post and getting offensive rebounds. Everything starts with recruiting and if he just picks a system and sticks with it, it might be easier to recruit players who are better fits for the system.

GWRising wrote:

Hopefully this is all changing.

Agreed. There have been some promising improvements in the past week and I hope the team can keep it up. Not looking at W-L record by the end of the season, but still hope to see an improvement analytically from the team the rest of the way. This team should not be bottom 50 on offense or bottom 100 in the country overall. Everyone on the team was recruited by JC now so it's on him to turn it around. Prior to last week, we were actually lower than both of JC's previous teams MSM and Siena which is unacceptable if we even want to be respectable.

1/25/2022 5:40 pm  #202

I CANT WAIT TO RECAP THIS THREAD….

that’s right mofo’s RECAPS are back.  And this time- I know who half of you REALLY ARE!   Muhaaaaa muhaaaaaa.

1/25/2022 7:01 pm  #203

Mailfan, you ever think "Maybe I take an A10 College basketball team, a little too seriously, a little too negatively?" 

Last edited by The Dude (1/29/2022 4:26 pm)

1/25/2022 7:53 pm  #204

GWRising wrote:

After 65 games, ML 27-38 and had not beaten a top 25 opponent - did not beat a top 25 team until game 68
After 65 games, KH 30-35 and had not beaten a top 25 opponent - did not beat a top 25 team until game 92
Both of those coaches inherited better situations than JC. Both went on to have success.
Not sure what bow you are trying to tie here.at this point.

The bow of accountability. 
Better situations you say?
JC inherited a team three years removed from an NIT Championship and school record for wins. It will be four years with no postseason, as compared to ....
KH inherited the scandal-ridden train wreck of Penders; it took him only 3 years to get to the tournament, the same year he defeated two Top 25 teams in three days. KH coached 4 NCAA games with a record of 1-3, and won a road game against a P6 team in his first year (@ Providence).
ML inherited a team that hadn't been to the NCAA in four years; it took him three years to get to the tournament. In year 5, he set a school record for wins and won GW's only national tournament title, scoring at least 3 wins vs Top 25 teams including #6 Virginia, #11 Wichita State, #18 Creighton, and unranked rival Maryland.
We are in Year 4 of JC, so you're already wrong JC has any shot at exceeding those markers, and he won't even play Top 25 ... making his 35% win number more suspect (his total record vs Top 25 in 3+ years... losses to Virginia by 19
and Michigan by 23).
Hell, even MoJo got us to the CBI.
But you see JC doing that by next year, eh? Two or three Top 25 wins and a trip to the posteason? I'll have what you're smoking.

1/25/2022 8:32 pm  #205

Interestingly, those don't always stand up in court--and could or could not be time limited.
Anything on GW's part toward either the truth, especially in the other instance, or stopping the revisionist history nonsense seems quite unlikely. of course..
And this theory is a real stretch, but GW could do the right thing and agree to waive it.
It's not uncommon to have these clauses, guessing perhaps non-disparagement in this case, but it is a pretty UnAmerican way to resolve things. Especially for an academic institution, which theoretically should
champion freedom of speech.

1/26/2022 3:26 am  #206

So what you’re saying is … it’s the Coaching fault and not the Players.  Check

I mean… let me rephrase that … it’s the Players fault and not the Coaching.  Got it.

Wait - what we meant was - It’s the players lack of execution that leads to us thinking the coach sucks- but - when the players perform well and execute what our coaches game plan… we think the coaches are better and getting more out of their players by way of consistency. 

Check mate ?!?

1/26/2022 11:14 am  #207

Mentzinger wrote:

GWRising wrote:

After 65 games, ML 27-38 and had not beaten a top 25 opponent - did not beat a top 25 team until game 68
After 65 games, KH 30-35 and had not beaten a top 25 opponent - did not beat a top 25 team until game 92
Both of those coaches inherited better situations than JC. Both went on to have success.
Not sure what bow you are trying to tie here.at this point.

The bow of accountability. 
Better situations you say?
JC inherited a team three years removed from an NIT Championship and school record for wins. It will be four years with no postseason, as compared to ....
KH inherited the scandal-ridden train wreck of Penders; it took him only 3 years to get to the tournament, the same year he defeated two Top 25 teams in three days. KH coached 4 NCAA games with a record of 1-3, and won a road game against a P6 team in his first year (@ Providence).
ML inherited a team that hadn't been to the NCAA in four years; it took him three years to get to the tournament. In year 5, he set a school record for wins and won GW's only national tournament title, scoring at least 3 wins vs Top 25 teams including #6 Virginia, #11 Wichita State, #18 Creighton, and unranked rival Maryland.
We are in Year 4 of JC, so you're already wrong JC has any shot at exceeding those markers, and he won't even play Top 25 ... making his 35% win number more suspect (his total record vs Top 25 in 3+ years... losses to Virginia by 19
and Michigan by 23).
Hell, even MoJo got us to the CBI.
But you see JC doing that by next year, eh? Two or three Top 25 wins and a trip to the posteason? I'll have what you're smoking.

You can spin this however you want. Here are the facts:

JC inherited a 9-win team (with back to back losing seasons on a strong downward trajectory)
ML inherited a 17-win team with the program on a slight upward trajectory the prior 2 years.(back to back winning seasons)
KH inherited a 14 win team (on a steady trajectory) along with Chris Monroe, GW's all-time leading scorer

We are in year 3 of JC not year 4. And really in terms of number of games coached at the beginning of year 3 rather than in the second half.

You disingenuously fail to mention COVID anywhere in your analysis something that neither KH or ML had to face.

If you think JC inherited a better situation than either KH or ML, or that he is in year 4, or that COVID had no impact, I won't ask you what you are smoking but rather what you are snorting.

1/26/2022 12:35 pm  #208

The Dude wrote:

Road upsets of teams with an over 200 gap KenPom margin this year:

GW.  

Is that true?  We are the only ones?

It’s cool, I guess, but in a backhanded complement sort of way because you have to be REALLY bad just to play someone 200 spots higher than you. 

(Also fwiw, we are “up” to 266 and URI is down to 101, so not a 200 gap right now.  Hopefully rhody gets back to the top 100 so we can still call it a top 100 road win)

1/26/2022 12:45 pm  #209

It looks like it's still counted as a top 100 win on KenPom since URI was top 100 when the game was played. Not 100% sure about that tho

1/26/2022 1:41 pm  #210

Yeah only road win for a team with a 200+ KenPom gap, yep

1/26/2022 1:45 pm  #211

It should count for when the game was played. Much like a top 25 win is still a ranked win even if that team loses its rank

1/26/2022 3:17 pm  #212

And RI pulled another stinker last night, leading by 15 and blowing the game to a Richmond team.  Their guards are really hurting against the press.

1/26/2022 5:15 pm  #213

You think I'm Joel Joseph?  Fucking fascinating.

1/26/2022 6:40 pm  #214

Mayhem, take it as a compliment. Another name to go with dude's conspiracy theories. He will soon be accusing you of being Deepthroat and taking Nixon down.

1/26/2022 7:15 pm  #215

(Edited by Barry removing parts that attacked other board members, leaving only the parts that are relevant).

Last edited by BGF (1/27/2022 5:35 pm)

1/29/2022 4:15 pm  #216

A complete ban on personal attacks would be an easy fix. 

1/29/2022 4:57 pm  #217

Agree on personal attacks. Should also include attacks on Mike Lonergan.

1/29/2022 5:54 pm  #218

Everyone here is a fan of GW basketball; none of us are paid professional analysts for ESPN. Many of you have a lot more experience in organized basketball—including playing or coaching the game at a level I’ve never experienced.

At the same time, those of us without playing, coaching, or extensive day-to-day engagement in the game still have eyes and can make valid observations regarding what we see on the court. Some of what we see and describe may require some insights from those who know a little bit more to better explain. what’s taking place on the court, I welcome that in helping me learn.  But I wouldn’t necessarily accept that as gospel given that even experts have their own biases  that may be difficult to overcome in analyzing what’s in front of them.  Personally, I enjoy hearing a variety of opinions and trying to draw some reasonable conclusions based upon the various knowledge and expertise of those making the observations. Our rotation on defense is poor because of X, Y, Z, will carry more weight in helping me understand what’s going on as opposed the observation “we suck,“ – – even though both may be valid observations!

So let’s give each other some grace. 

As for JC, I think we can all agree that his current tenure at GW has not been successful. There may be differences of opinion as to why that is the case, However, the powers that be who made the hire suggested we would be competing for an Atlantic 10 title by the end of his third year. Maybe that will happen, but the odds are highly stacked against us.

From what my eyes tell me, JC was not ready to coach in the Atlantic 10. He may get there, but I don’t believe he had the full appreciation necessary regarding the adjustments he needed to make in his coaching approach to succeed in a higher talent league where players can do a lot more than in the NEC.  A short stint as asst at VCU with a lot of talent was not enough   True he helped Siena reach 500, but he had some pretty darn good three point shooters in a less talented league.  Would our story this year be different if Ira Brody did not get hurt and Jamison Battle stuck around contributing to better execution and balance on both ends of the floor.  Probably. However, I see a coach struggling or even grasping at straws to find some winning formula.  This is best exhibited by the strict adherence to man-to-man in Year One, then a complete flip to zone to begin Year 2 only to be largely abandoned with a return to man.  Flexibility sure—and something we want—but to me the layman, also somewhat indicative of uncertainty in coaching philosophy or team identity.  I realize it’s hard to coach both well—but I’d you are going to try both and be flexible—why not say we’ll look to play the defense that best reflects our talent and ability to stop the opponent at any given time.

Also on defense, it seems that we’ve tried to make up for our deficiencies in three-point shooting by defending the three well. However, we have to be among the worst teams in points given up in the paint in second chance points on rebounding given how well we defend the perimeter.  Is it one or the other, or is there a happy medium. I’m not a coach, so I will defer to other experts on whether there is indeed a happy medium or whether this observation is off the wall.  But it’s a legitimate question for the average fan.

On offense, in the SLU game, it seemed so many times  we worked so hard just to get a bad shot.  If plan A is not there, we don’t really seem to have a Plan B.  We did shoot well, but I would not say it looked like we had a great O going with cuts and better passing opportunities (I’ll put aside the difficulty of our big men to handle passes inside—while recognizing that his helps other teams in defending those Plan B’s and C’s.). 

As others have noted, we are not buying out JC so he has time to grow and get better. Regardless, it’s undeniable that none of us believe we are at the level where we expect the program to be—and as Bill Parcells said, “You are what your record says,” and that falls on JC.

Hoping for ongoing civilized conversation.

1/29/2022 6:07 pm  #219

2twooed wrote:

Should also include attacks on Mike Lonergan.

LOL, hope he sees this, bro.

1/29/2022 8:33 pm  #220

Merrick -so well done-so right on.

Board footera