GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/27/2022 3:10 pm  #1

Fans are back!!!!

In answer to all your deepest desires, the University is allowing fans back for the game vs Fordham this weekend.
https://gwsports.com/news/2022/1/27/mens-basketball-university-to-reopen-events-for-fans-and-students-on-sunday-january-30th.aspx

1/27/2022 3:44 pm  #2

Re: Fans are back!!!!

Better late than never. But can anyone seriously explain the science to me? At the time GW banned "ticketed" fans in December the positivity rate in the District was lower than it is now. Follow the science lol. Of course, there was never any science to support this - only fear and politics.

Last edited by GWRising (1/27/2022 3:51 pm)

1/27/2022 4:04 pm  #3

Nobody can explain the science to Rising because you refuse to see it.   BTW, it's not a perfect science, it's just better than helping spread Covid even faster than it was already.

1/27/2022 4:24 pm  #4

BC wrote:

Nobody can explain the science to Rising because you refuse to see it.   BTW, it's not a perfect science, it's just better than helping spread Covid even faster than it was already.

Funny how no one at the Wizards right down the street saw the same science. Maybe they negotiated with the virus to leave them alone lol.

1/27/2022 5:23 pm  #5

I may have started this thread, but if it is going to deteriorate in to a discussion of this crap again, I´d rather it get deleted and you guys take this to Spotify or Facebook or YouTube where it belongs/is tolerated.
And if you do go to the game, keep your f-ing mask on covering your nose, mouth and chin. Don´t be a dipshit.

1/27/2022 5:40 pm  #6

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

I may have started this thread, but if it is going to deteriorate in to a discussion of this crap again, I´d rather it get deleted and you guys take this to Spotify or Facebook or YouTube where it belongs/is tolerated.
And if you do go to the game, keep your f-ing mask on covering your nose, mouth and chin. Don´t be a dipshit.

The reason this continues to be relevant is I believe GW is perhaps the ONLY team in the A-10 to restrict fans. This again puts us in a competitive disadvantage. Do you think our kids came here to play in front of no fans (in some cases for the second year in a row)? Do you think they wonder why schools like VCU, URI and St. Louis can have fans? Why can Howard and the Wizards? So the point is if someone can justify why GW did this, I'm all ears. Haven't heard one yet other than it would be just be better if we didn't have fans because no one will have the chance of getting exposed. If that's the rationale, why lift it now? Virus is still prevalent - more prevalent than at the time the ban was put in place.

Again, just so no one gets it twisted. I am triple vaxxed and have no problem properly wearing a mask when required  or asked to do so. This is not a discussion about vax or mask mandates. That's the discussion going on elsewhere. This is purely a discussion of why and on what basis a decision was made across campus to allow some fans but not others and what has now changed.

Last edited by GWRising (1/27/2022 5:42 pm)

1/27/2022 6:22 pm  #7

I'm kinda with GWRising on this one but we all know where we all stand. Especially now that it is lifted, it is even less worth debating!

1/27/2022 6:23 pm  #8

multiple Pac-12 teams are doing the same as GW.  

1/28/2022 7:17 am  #9

I'm with pretty much with Rising on this one. However, whatever you think of the masking rules please follow them. To not do so is a big FU to all the front line GW employees you encounter. To follow the rules supports those folks.

1/28/2022 9:15 am  #10

Fordham has had the same rules in place, FYI.

1/28/2022 9:43 am  #11

GWRising, you're sounding a lot like the teenager who can't understand why their parents are refusing to let them go to the unsupervised party while his friends' parents say it's OK.  This does not make the friends' parents correct nor in this situation should GW be considered to have taken the wrong approach.

The last thing in this world I am is a scientist but let me provide some data I have pertaining to Montgomery County.  Over the last 7 days, the incidence rate of virus infections was 553 per 100,000 residents.  7 days before this period, the rate was 1,049 per 100,000 residents.  And the 7 days before that, it was 1,861 per 100,000 residents.  So while the current rate may or may not be higher than when GW first made their decision, what's far more important is the current trend.  Having a large indoor gathering when a virus is spreading is a totally different circumstance than having such a gathering when a virus is diminishing.  You can ask then why not wait until the virus is completely gone but as you know, there is a risk/reward question which is always being asked whether you agree with the answer or not.  Starting Sunday, GW obviously feels that the risk of spreading the virus is now low enough that the reward of playing in front of home fans is worth it.

The one question you've raised that is harder to answer is why certain people (family members, limited number of road fans, etc.) have been allowed to attend.  Other than the fact that there would be far less people in the building, which in fact might be THE answer, I am hard pressed to answer why it was acceptable for some to attend but not others.

1/28/2022 10:21 am  #12

GWmayhem, to me the better analogy is this ... your parents won't let you go the party but your twin brother is allowed to go. I base that analogy on the fact that some fans (family members, road fans, others with passes) are allowed to attend the same event by the same decision maker.

Yes, thankfully, cases are declining in Montgomery County. But the point you are missing is that other venues within the District and surrounds were open to ticketed fans. This begs the question as to why GW perceived  the risk as so much greater than others even with masking and vaccination requirements (and perhaps even additional requirements that could have been imposed). Note we are not comparing GW to say a school in Florida or Texas where there are clearly different views. Rather, we are comparing GW to schools in either the same or contiguous jurisdictions or within the same Conference.

1/28/2022 10:26 am  #13

I totally agree with GW Rising. I have been closely following how college hoops across the country has dealt with whether fans are allowed. In the A-10 until very recently all programs have allowed fans. Fordham recently decided not to have fans; GW had these restrictions for six weeks. In addition, hardly any other D-1 program outside the Ive League has not allowed fans. UCLA and USC did have the ban for a game or two.

And every other D-1 school in the area has continued to allow fans. I am sensitive to the need to be careful about the virus and respect GWU. I think they went overboard with these restrictions. Imagine how our players and their family and our coaches must feel about operating under different rules than virtually everyone else

1/28/2022 11:01 am  #14

The parts of the new policy I don't get are these:
- Vaccines mandated for ages 12+ (confusing since vaccinations for 5-11 are available).
- testing for fans under age 11, as if the vaccine prevents infection/spread rather than just serious illness

Hard for me to square that circle.

1/28/2022 11:26 am  #15

Am not accusing anyone of doing this, but I just don't feel you can lie blame or find fault with the school's decision to be overly cautious.  I am in agreement that only a select group of fans should not have been allowed to attend either.  To me, that was akin to being half-pregnant.  Either it's OK to attend or it's not OK.

Am also not on board with the Howard U and the Wizards did it so why can't GW rationale.  This does not make GW wrong for taking the position it did.

Am very happy things have improved to the point that we can return to the games. 

1/28/2022 1:36 pm  #16

Gwmayhem wrote:

Am not accusing anyone of doing this, but I just don't feel you can lie blame or find fault with the school's decision to be overly cautious.  I am in agreement that only a select group of fans should not have been allowed to attend either.  To me, that was akin to being half-pregnant.  Either it's OK to attend or it's not OK.

Am also not on board with the Howard U and the Wizards did it so why can't GW rationale.  This does not make GW wrong for taking the position it did.

Am very happy things have improved to the point that we can return to the games. 

Your second, third and fourth sentences sum up my entire point. The Wizards and Howard examples show that there was an alternative path available to GW that they did not take. I am confident that both the Wizards and Howard consulted with DC Public Health officials. If you recall, when I first made an issue of this, I was roundly met with "well it's obviously dictated by the science." I would like to know what "science" GW had that the Wizards/Caps or Howard apparently did not and which caused GW to take the action it did.

1/28/2022 1:53 pm  #17

GWRising wrote:

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

The reason this continues to be relevant is I believe GW is perhaps the ONLY team in the A-10 to restrict fans. This again puts us in a competitive disadvantage. Do you think our kids came here to play in front of no fans (in some cases for the second year in a row)? Do you think they wonder why schools like VCU, URI and St. Louis can have fans? Why can Howard and the Wizards? So the point is if someone can justify why GW did this, I'm all ears. Haven't heard one yet other than it would be just be better if we didn't have fans because no one will have the chance of getting exposed. If that's the rationale, why lift it now? Virus is still prevalent - more prevalent than at the time the ban was put in place.

Again, just so no one gets it twisted. I am triple vaxxed and have no problem properly wearing a mask when required  or asked to do so. This is not a discussion about vax or mask mandates. That's the discussion going on elsewhere. This is purely a discussion of why and on what basis a decision was made across campus to allow some fans but not others and what has now changed.

I think the bigger competitive disadvantage is our team stinks and their teams don't.

Board footera