GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2022 9:28 pm  #81

Re: GW vs Duquesne Game Thread

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Congrats to Theofanis Stamoulis

Whoever that is.

He’s the Player of the Game thank you very much https://twitter.com/gw_mbb/status/1494136193235230722

2/16/2022 9:30 pm  #82

Theo was the team manager. 

2/16/2022 9:33 pm  #83

Wonderful to see a happy locker room.

2/16/2022 9:46 pm  #84

GW73 wrote:

The recruiting hype about Nixon was just that ... hype. obviously not ready for a-10 

Didn't get to watch the game but seems harsh for how little he has played does it not?

2/16/2022 9:49 pm  #85

Fun quote from Dambrot after the game. Must’ve missed our home opener against Dayton.

“I’ve never seen a team play worse at home… I feel bad for our fans.” -Keith Dambrot

2/16/2022 9:51 pm  #86

1 of 21 from three!! I’ve never seen something like that. Was it St Louis we held to under 30 for the game? Anyone have that box score?

2/16/2022 9:52 pm  #87

A serious thumping by GW on the road

All road wins are good. Huge blowouts are great.  JoeBam was electric

2/16/2022 9:56 pm  #88

adclub wrote:

1 of 21 from three!! I’ve never seen something like that. Was it St Louis we held to under 30 for the game? Anyone have that box score?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game/_/gameId/280100045

GW won 49-20. I just remember both teams being terrible that day.

SLU was 1-19 from 3. 7-48 overall.

Here’s a recap from PTI

Last edited by GW0509 (2/16/2022 9:58 pm)

2/16/2022 10:11 pm  #89

Nice gesture for Theo on the Chain of Command.

2/16/2022 11:03 pm  #90

Nice  A-10 road win for a program that hasn't seen many of them over the past few years but now has seen 3 so far this season. Another dubious but important milestone was reached this evening. 10 wins. First time that has happened since 2017-18.  Signs are pointing in the right direction but much more work to be done. Beat URI and Richmond and then we will have taken another step forward..

Congrats to Theo. Don't think some of you guys understand how hard it is to be a non scholarship player in Division 1 and what they contribute to the team. Great to see JC recognize him not just because he scored 2 points but because of all his sacrifice to the betterment of the team over the season - scout team, supporting guys from the bench particularly on the road, etc.. Great moment. Hope to see more of those moments for two reasons - first they are great moments for those kids but second, they mean we are winning comfortably..

2/16/2022 11:33 pm  #91

GWRising wrote:

Another dubious but important milestone was reached this evening. 10 wins. First time that has happened since 2017-18. 

They won 12 games in 2019-20, no? But I echo everything you said about Theo. It's awesome seeing these players who work so hard and rarely get recognition get their dues.

2/17/2022 1:34 am  #92

Nice to have a win going away! I didn't think there was a team we'd face where we could coast to a W, but Duquesne is just that bad. Every time they even had a mini run, we could easily match it going to the hoop when needed and score a basket. It was interesting to see JC call timeout early in the game despite us being up fairly big - I think he knew this was one that needed to be won.

The fact Duquesne was favored was a bit surprising, especially after the Dukes just played at Davidson a couple days back. I thought they played scrappy against the Wildcats, but they looked clearly gassed tonight. Dambrot's groups have never really had strong shooters/guards, but their forwards were always tough and physical. I don't think he recruited to that philosophy last offseason, although Spears, Williams, and Hima have some potential down the road.

Not much to discuss about our performance tonight. I didn't think we played that great which is crazy to say in a W. We gave up a ton of open looks defensively but Duquesne undershot a ridiculous percentage of their shots. They had shots from 10 feet away that would barely draw iron. Not sure if it was fatigue or they are just that untalented. Thankfully, they did not attack us down low consistently otherwise Williams could have had an even better game. After every game I can only hope that we address our rebounding woes this offseason - we were fortunate that Duquense didn't hurt us more with the 21 offensive rebounds. The Dukes were arguably even worse defensively as we pretty much drove past them to the hoop time after time. Duquesne seems to have mentally given up to be honest.

It seems like the opposition is going to give Ricky open looks from 3 the rest of the year which is probably a mistake.

When Brendan scores 10+ we are tough to beat, but I can't help but sigh every time he draws iron on an open three point attempt. He's much more dangerous attacking the hoop.

It seems like Amir has been relegated to a deeper bench role which is interesting.

Happy for Theo that he scored that bucket late. Usually there's an uproar when the winning team shoots after the shot clock is turned off but given VCU did that to us earlier in conference play I feel a bit less bad about it.

The next three opponents (URI, Richmond, Mason) are a bit tougher, but at least 2/3 are at home. I know URI is probably going to play with a chip on their shoulder after falling to us earlier in the year.

If there was one thing Duquesne got right tonight, it's that they posted the postgame presser soon after the game ended. The lack of coverage GW gets is astounding. I don't understand why the school hardly ever posts the home postgame pressers, win or lose. It was even tougher to turn on the local news tonight and see footage on Georgetown losing yet again as well as Mason winning in overtime over St. Joe's yet not a single sentence about GW. Hopefully that changes soon.

2/17/2022 4:28 am  #93

Solid  win tonight. Why?  Cause we win a game we were supposed to and in the fashion we should. 

Since I’ve rediscovered this board - we have won 4 and we have lost 2 games.  Im not saying it’s coincidence.. face it- it’s me. 

Just kidding.

Let’s see us pull a few more games out against teams more competitive in our conference and we can flip a mediocre year into decent.  Love to them end strong with a 4-1 or imagine 5-0 finish.  4-1 is doable at least.

2/17/2022 9:05 am  #94

Didn't watch but final score indicates complete domination, suggests we are not one of the 4 worst A10 teams this year, a pretty telling humble brag. I think I predicted 3-13 so my expectations have been exceeded.

2/17/2022 9:39 am  #95

Traveling through Texas-don’t ask-following the Board-thanks for the great reportage everyone.
Might Buchanan be interested?My biggest worry was recruiting with horrible won-lost record and poor 
play.Please keep it going.

2/17/2022 10:09 am  #96

gwstudent2024 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Another dubious but important milestone was reached this evening. 10 wins. First time that has happened since 2017-18. 

They won 12 games in 2019-20, no? But I echo everything you said about Theo. It's awesome seeing these players who work so hard and rarely get recognition get their dues.

Duh. My bad. That's what I get at 11:00 pm trying to post stuff. Don't know what I was thinking. I knew that.

2/17/2022 11:55 am  #97

1) This has been alluded to but Duquesne had 15 more offensive rebounds and 5 fewer turnovers than GW, or 20 additional possessions which resulted in a shot attempt, and still lost by over 20 points.  That's practically impossible to do.

2) Also, in a season where this team has been so reliant upon James Bishop's play during close contests, it was great to see a blowout on a night where James had an off night. 

3) Attendance was 1,985?  Those rest rooms must have been jammed most of the night.

4) We are a very different team when Ricky and Brendan are producing like they did last night.  We become very difficult to guard when 5-7 guys are truly contributing.

2/18/2022 2:56 pm  #98

Big game for JoeBam, who is putting together quite a first season at GW

Board footera