GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2022 4:37 pm  #61

Re: Jamion Christian is out at George Washington, sources told ESPN.

Thomas wrote:

About the 3 B's...Bamisile, Bishop and Brayon, its now likely that all of them will leave and GW will have to start from scratch again but the transfer portal makes rebuilding a lot easier, in my opinion, especially if the next coach has strong BCS ties because he played and/or coached at one.  

Wouldn't Bamisile and Bishop have to sit out a year if they transferred? As I voiced earlier I fully expect Brayon to leave which is very unfortunate.

3/14/2022 5:37 pm  #62

Shocked by the timing, not the result.
TV is a cancer and has spent 6 years neutering this program and pretty much the entirety of GW sports. She was Nero's lackey this shouldn't surprise anyone but I see it continues to.
Also not shocked The Dude is being poo again, only that he hasn't been banned yet. Go lick dirt bud.

3/14/2022 5:50 pm  #63

Skittles wrote:

TV is a cancer and has spent 6 years neutering this program

Not sure how you can say that given she’s fired the last two coaches early and paid buyouts to do so.

You can criticize the choice of JC, sure, but I don’t see how the program has been neutered unless she is withholding money from the team which I highly doubt. If anything, it seems like she is desperate to get back to postseason play. 

If she wanted to neuter the program Mojo would still be our coach today.

3/14/2022 6:34 pm  #64

This had to be done now and, shockingly, it was. Now the question is whether the University will make the commitment--financial and otherwise-- to bring in a coach with a proven, VERY successful track record at a high level. That remains to be seen, but at least the first step has been taken. 

3/14/2022 7:12 pm  #65

GW0509 wrote:

Skittles wrote:

TV is a cancer and has spent 6 years neutering this program

Not sure how you can say that given she’s fired the last two coaches early and paid buyouts to do so.

You can criticize the choice of JC, sure, but I don’t see how the program has been neutered unless she is withholding money from the team which I highly doubt. If anything, it seems like she is desperate to get back to postseason play. 

If she wanted to neuter the program Mojo would still be our coach today.

JC was likely one of few options following a messy AD exit. I'm not mad at it. I'm more so referring go her role in the ML/PN Fallout that has killed our success completely, the extra year given to mojo (also love him but he was put in a terrible position) when it was obviously not the fit, and the rush job hiring period 3 years ago. Again not mad at the hire but it just gives off the air of incompetence to me. If they don't have a solid hire in the next couple months I will be on the get rid of her too train

3/14/2022 7:22 pm  #66

GW did the right thing for once, which is so uncharacteristic, we are all stunned here.

3/14/2022 7:36 pm  #67

My take is that a JC coached team rarely got to disappoint. ML teams frequently beat good teams. I can not recall JC upsetting one much better team. At the second George Mason game, alumni packed the pre-game restaurant with a strong buzz. All GW had to do was stop one big man and keep the game close. As usual, there was a dearth of coaching and disappointment followed. Following, a loss to Fordham and Umass was the nail in the coffin. If JC remained the coach, I had planned not to renew my tickets next year. A string of 56 years would be broken.JC has a good heart, as witnessed by playing seniors in the last home game. I was always saddened by the number of players that left the program. Many are now playing on teams as part of the NCAA. The fact that the Washington Post never printed a lead article about GW Basketball shows how little respect the program had garnered. The future will be brighter.

3/14/2022 7:54 pm  #68

Cutis wrote:

My take is that a JC coached team rarely got to disappoint. ML teams frequently beat good teams. I can not recall JC upsetting one much better team.

I was thinking what was the JC signature win during his 3 years here and it probably was the loss to Maryland which is all you need to know about that.

3/14/2022 8:09 pm  #69

I had also decided not to renew my tickets.  Not as long as Cutis’ 56 years, but it’s been about 35 years.

3/14/2022 8:13 pm  #70

GW0509 wrote:

Cutis wrote:

My take is that a JC coached team rarely got to disappoint. ML teams frequently beat good teams. I can not recall JC upsetting one much better team.

I was thinking what was the JC signature win during his 3 years here and it probably was the loss to Maryland which is all you need to know about that.

Uh, there was that fantastic 4OT win over Davidson. One of the most memorable GW games of all time.

3/14/2022 8:19 pm  #71

JC was by all accounts a good dude who represented the school and the program well, he just didn't win enough. He wasn't much of an in-game manager and seemed to let his players run the show. His Xs and Os really needed work. I also hate how he never cared about rebounding.

You know the last straw was giving up 99 points to UMass in the A-10 tournament. In DC. They got to sleep in their own beds and travel two miles to the game, and they go out there and embarrass themselves.

Tom Crean would be a great hire at GW.

3/14/2022 8:58 pm  #72

2twooed wrote:

Interesting timing on the firing. Last week you commit to play in Diamond Head Classic. On Friday there was going to be a major announcement of a legit recruit. It would not surprise me to see the legitimate players to all enter the portal. The next hire needs to be quick and an established winner. Parker helped in the last search and the final 3 were all underwhelming. I personally have zero confidence that the AD will right the course once again. Another depressing 5 years on the horizon.

Was that “major announcement of a legit recruit” announced anywhere else on this board?  Maybe I missed it.  Seems curious to say it now.

Wonder who would be a considered a legit recruit at this point - there’s no top 150 recruit we are publicly linked to, so if a HS player, it’s either not quite that level or they are coming from prep school or international so not ranked by those services. 

If it’s a transfer, it’s not someone coming from a team that is still playing because that wouldn’t be announced Friday.

3/14/2022 9:12 pm  #73

Free Quebec wrote:

2twooed wrote:

Interesting timing on the firing. Last week you commit to play in Diamond Head Classic. On Friday there was going to be a major announcement of a legit recruit. It would not surprise me to see the legitimate players to all enter the portal. The next hire needs to be quick and an established winner. Parker helped in the last search and the final 3 were all underwhelming. I personally have zero confidence that the AD will right the course once again. Another depressing 5 years on the horizon.

Was that “major announcement of a legit recruit” announced anywhere else on this board?  Maybe I missed it.  Seems curious to say it now.

GWRising said to expect good news soon in the recruiting thread but didn’t characterize it as “major.”

For the timing, I assume what happened was Umass was the last straw and it took the weekend to convince Prez Wrighton to approve the buyout and new coach salary.

3/14/2022 9:22 pm  #74

GWRising(he's been noticeably silent today) wrote that in the '2022 Recruits' thread in the Recruits section yesterday. His actual quote was GW would be "getting good news within a week with regard to a recruiting commitment" Maybe it was a BCS recruit who flipped after a firing or a BCS transfer.

Alum '04,  I also think GW should go in the direction of a BCS coach who got fired and still has the desire to coach/succeed in a similar fashion to Anthony Grant and Travis Ford. Off the top of my head, Frank Martin, Cuonzo Martin, Frank Haith, Ben Howland and Bruce Weber come to mind(in addition to Tom Crean) of recently fired BCS coaches. I like C.Martin the best out of all those coaches because he's the youngest and would immediately bring in BCS-level talent to GW. 

Last edited by Thomas (3/14/2022 9:23 pm)

3/14/2022 9:42 pm  #75

Thomas wrote:

Alum '04,  I also think GW should go in the direction of a BCS coach who got fired and still has the desire to coach/succeed in a similar fashion to Anthony Grant and Travis Ford. Off the top of my head, Frank Martin, Cuonzo Martin, Frank Haith, Ben Howland and Bruce Weber come to mind(in addition to Tom Crean) of recently fired BCS coaches. I like C.Martin the best out of all those coaches because he's the youngest and would immediately bring in BCS-level talent to GW. 

The last time GW went down that path, we got stuck with The Penders Crap (and before that, the last two coaches who came via BCS schools were assistants, but Gimmelstob and Kuester did not exactly work out either). Granted, that was a while ago, but it certainly has to be in the back of people´s minds.

3/14/2022 9:56 pm  #76

Sorry to see him go from a personal perspective. Glad to see him go from a basketball perspective. Not sure what TV has done to earn the shot at bringing in another coach, but I hope the coach is Mike Hall or Dooley.

3/14/2022 9:58 pm  #77

I missed all of this today and just heard the news.  Completely shocked, somewhat disappointed, somewhat ready for whatever is next.  No need to rehash the past coaching changes, as some have done here.  What is important is getting the best available coach for the program as soon as possible so that we don't lose out in recruiting.  

I'll let those who are more knowledgeable of the potential coaches to share their thoughts here.  Thanks in advance for that!

3/14/2022 10:29 pm  #78

This is a bit shocking to me. Like some others on the board I assumed Jamion would get 1 more year given the improvement we showed late in the season. 3 years seems a bit fast with COVID being a factor as well but I get it. This is news to me that GW cares enough to make this move early. I sadly don't have confidence we'll make the right hire, and I'm not big on the search firms helping out in the process.

From my few interactions with Jamion I have nothing but positive things to say. He came across as a really nice guy and like with Mojo it's unfortunate that it didn't work out. I have no doubt he will find a new gig soon. Since JC does have quite some head coaching experience/still a relatively strong reputation I could see a smaller school giving him a head coaching job. If nothing else, an assistant spot at Georgetown/Maryland could be a possibility if he wants to stay in the area.

It was Coach Bousley's birthday too. What a terrible day to receive the news. I hope all the assistants find another place as well. The entire staff was filled with good guys.

We had some pieces to build around coming into next season, and we probably could have found enough pieces in the transfer portal to make things work - although given we have 0 wings on the roster for next year there was certainly some patching that was needed/still needs to be done and we probably would have run into some growing pains in OOC integrating the new players. Ultimately, I do think we had a ceiling under JC given our consistent issues rebounding the ball through three years and the fact that the post was never utilized. At the NEC/MAAC level, I think offenses are weak enough that you can probably get away with that approach but it doesn't work as well once you get to the A10 and above. You need balance between the guards and forwards. It's not out of the question that we may have change our offensive scheme next year (as we did several times in the JC era) but that would have again led to more growing pains that takes half the season to resolve. Given the list of teams participating in the Diamond Head Classic, I truthfully saw us winning at most 1 game in the OOC tournament prior to this news.

I hope James, Joe, and Brayon consider staying put until the new coach is announced but I understand if they don't. Regardless, I wish them and the rest of the roster nothing but the best and will continue to cheer them on in the future. Just when I finally thought we would have some roster stability LOL that just went out the window.

While we were finally able to find a couple impactful defenders, this team never gelled as a unit on that end and rim protection was nonexistent which was disastrous given our tendencies to run guards off the three point line. The fact Ricky was able to recover and swat shots away despite this was incredible.

As others have mentioned our performance against UMass was the final straw. With the tournament just two blocks from campus, the expectation was to win at least a game. Like a few times during the season, the team just did not get up for the game at all which was a bit disturbing given it was a win or go home situation. The team borderline looked like they had quit when they never ran back on defense.

We need a coach that falls somewhere between micromanaging every movement on the court like ML and letting the team play with reckless abandon like JC. The final two minutes of the second Mason and Fordham games were prime examples of this. Joe and James cannot just chuck up a three early in the shot clock when the deficit is still within one possession and we were likely to get the ball back several more times after that.

As for potential candidates, I'm interested to see who's in the running.

I don't know if James Jones (Yale) or Tommy Amaker (Harvard) have been mentioned here but I think those could be good fits for the school. Amaker of course is local as well.

I would be hesitant to go for anyone at the MAAC level or lower, especially if they haven't won a couple games against better competition but Rice (Monmouth) and Holloway (St. Peter's) have done a pretty good job. Similarly, Blakeney (Howard) did a pretty good job this year and can stay local, but probably needs a slightly larger sample size before he gets the GW job.

I figure a guy like Paris (Chattanooga) and Richey (Furman) are probably aiming higher than GW for their next gig, but obviously both have done a great job this year. Of course, either could end up becoming like McCall but that's a risk you have to take. Spradlin (Morehead State) and a couple MAC guys also fit the bill but aren't regional which could be a deal breaker.

A couple of CAA guys like Skerry (Towson) and Ingelsby (Delaware) don't really excite me although they are a bit more proven at a slightly higher level than the MAAC. In the case of the latter it would be really funny if that resulted in JNJ returning to GW.

One other name that I like is Russell Turner at UC Irvine. A Virginia guy although who knows if he wants to come back East at this point.

We could also go the assistant route. Chester Frazier is a Baltimore guy who's currently an assistant at Illinois (after being an associate head coach at Virginia Tech). He's a hungry recruiter who could connect with the players well. Maybe kinda like Kim English?

One thing is for sure - please hire an assistant who can recruit internationally regardless of who gets the job. Nima was supposed to be that guy but that was a big fail in the JC era.

3/14/2022 11:45 pm  #79

Just figured that Amaker, even working his way back up, was out of our league.
Didn't Jones' name come up last time?
On a less serious note, they might not be used to working with academic standards as high as GW.

3/15/2022 6:44 am  #80

BM wrote:

I had also decided not to renew my tickets. Not as long as Cutis’ 56 years, but it’s been about 35 years.

BM I think we are in the same ticket class. Sorry to see you go. Hope you will still offer your sane insight. A big help to folks like me.

Right now I am going to reup, but I certainly can't blame anyone for saying they have had enough.
What's been on the floor post-NIT hasn't shown the progress we are used to. Where a bad year leads to some improvement and so on to the point where folks are bitching about the OOC schedule not being good enough for an At-Large bid.

Makes me a little sad, but then again fan is just another word for sucker. By that I don't mean GW has done me wrong. But, the general be it televison, advertizers or the NCAA I'm a mark waiting to be taken advantage of.

In the big picture I wonder how many mid-majors will find it virtually impossible to build a bid worthy team and essentially be a farm team. Sure guys transfer down, but I think we all saw this year at GW what happens when there is huge roster turnover.

Last edited by FredD (3/15/2022 6:56 am)

Board footera