GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2022 6:09 am  #41

Re: Colonials in the Portal

I don't see Joe but I see Brayon and Ricky at dinner with Caputo (referring to the portal guys).
Good to see Bishop and others as well

Last edited by Florida Colonial (4/04/2022 6:13 am)

4/04/2022 7:12 am  #42

Great to see this pic

4/04/2022 9:01 am  #43

Ricky sitting next to CC in that pic is very interesting.  Can Brayon get any farther away though?

4/04/2022 9:31 am  #44

Was thinking the same about Ricky, although he is in the transfer portal and hearing from schools.  Could ne just part of CC's in-house recruiting.

4/04/2022 10:36 am  #45

Glad to see the bonding but the foodie in me has to question the wisdom of going to a chain restaurant (unlike Mason, the GW campus area offers non-chain dining alternatives...)

4/04/2022 11:07 am  #46

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Glad to see the bonding but the foodie in me has to question the wisdom of going to a chain restaurant (unlike Mason, the GW campus area offers non-chain dining alternatives...)

Sure, but if you’re trying to find a restaurant that fits 15+ different tastes I don’t see how you could go wrong with Cheesecake Factory. It’s got almost everything a college kid would want to eat!

4/04/2022 11:07 am  #47

I notice Lamont Franklin at the end of the table near Brayon. I know JC brought him onto the staff in September 2021 but I wonder if he will be a part of Caputo's staff. It could be important to have some continuity in the staff to prevent some players from transferring.

4/04/2022 11:14 am  #48

Lamont Franklin was on the Miami coaching staff at some point so they know each other.  So very possible he could stay

"A native of Seat Pleasant, Md., and two-time All-Met and All-Prince George's County selection, Franklin has spent the last four seasons as the Director of Operations at Miami (Fla.). With the Hurricanes, he was responsible for a wide range of duties including, but not limited to, budget management, on-campus recruiting, and camps, while serving as a liaison for the program to multiple functions/offices throughout the university."

Last edited by Florida Colonial (4/04/2022 11:15 am)

4/04/2022 11:33 am  #49

Current rotser page shows Caputo as HC, with his assistants (at least for now). Only administrative. No players off the roster yet..

https://gwsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Last edited by xAC (4/04/2022 12:59 pm)

4/04/2022 1:54 pm  #50

1) Nice picture. Shows CC trying to keep the team together. Good find, Florida Colonial.
2) Have been wondering who is keeping the lights on--and it looks like it could be Lamont Franklin.
Recall that during our mini streak of not playing awfully in league play, it seemed like Franklin was in
JC's ear. JC needed someone with experience beyond his assistants.
 Lamont Franklin has college head coaching experience, but at Johnson and Wales. At Miami, he was Director of Operations, not a coaching or travel recruiting job, but on-campus recruiting.
  Not necessarily as an assistant--we need several assistants with high or high mid-major recruiting and coaching experience. But just seems like Franklin has some wisdom and good experience to contribute in his current position or something designed for him.

4/04/2022 2:21 pm  #51

I’m curious if this “special advisor/director of scouting” position doesn’t follow the same period of performance as the other HC/AC roles because I seem to recall that Austin Kelley, who was hired under Mojo, was subsequently held over in JC’s first year too.

4/04/2022 5:18 pm  #52

GW0509 wrote:

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Sure, but if you’re trying to find a restaurant that fits 15+ different tastes I don’t see how you could go wrong with Cheesecake Factory. It’s got almost everything a college kid would want to eat!

Old Ebbit´s always had a pretty varied menu (but is probably out of GW´s budget). And you can rub shoulders with K Street lawyers there. (OK, now I see the upside of the chain restaurant-- no K Street lawyers!)

4/05/2022 1:39 pm  #53

Don't know if this was ever posted, but this is the Hatchet article released about a week ago regarding Brayon's entering the portal.

https://www.gwhatchet.com/2022/03/28/freshman-basketball-standout-speaks-on-transfer-decision/

4/05/2022 1:52 pm  #54

All the Colonials in the portal should realize that they will have a better opportunity under an
ACC coach, while still playing at the GW level. Bishop, who wisely apparently hasn't said or done anything
about transferring, at least known here, and Bam, both have a good deal at GW. They can do what they think is best for them, but it actually just got better.
   By the way, for them and Brayon, who is important to keep, they just got
a coach with the serious ear of an NBA coach.
   Brayon has much better opportunities now with a coach who will run disciplined point guard play.
It took JC awhile to realize Brayon's talents. 
  CC will recognize them immediately and that will help Brayon and everyone.

4/06/2022 12:17 pm  #55

jf wrote:

All the Colonials in the portal should realize that they will have a better opportunity under an
ACC coach, while still playing at the GW level. Bishop, who wisely apparently hasn't said or done anything
about transferring, at least known here, and Bam, both have a good deal at GW. They can do what they think is best for them, but it actually just got better.
   By the way, for them and Brayon, who is important to keep, they just got
a coach with the serious ear of an NBA coach.
   Brayon has much better opportunities now with a coach who will run disciplined point guard play.
It took JC awhile to realize Brayon's talents. 
  CC will recognize them immediately and that will help Brayon and everyone.

Unless they are leaving for NiL money, all they have to do is look at how Moore, McGusty, and Wong were used - and how they improved massively at Miami - to see how well it’s likely to work out for them if they stay.

4/07/2022 9:09 am  #56

According to Jon Rothstein, Joe B "plans to visit Oklahoma in the next few weeks."

4/07/2022 10:02 am  #57

Mike K wrote:

According to Jon Rothstein, Joe B "plans to visit Oklahoma in the next few weeks."

I guess that means that Bamisile's conversation with Caputo did not convince him to stay.  Don't know what GW has that can compete with the likes of an Oklahoma, or any power conference school.   

4/07/2022 10:43 am  #58

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Mike K wrote:

I guess that means that Bamisile's conversation with Caputo did not convince him to stay.  Don't know what GW has that can compete with the likes of an Oklahoma, or any power conference school.   

A guaranteed role and a school that he likes.

I actually find the fit with Oklahoma a little odd since Porter Moser runs such a structured and slow offense. I think maybe he loosened the reins a little bit last year compared to his time at Loyola, but they were still just 287th in tempo. 

Feels to me like Joe will thrive best in a free flowing, uptempo attack, but obviously I’m just a fan and have no idea what it is about Oklahoma that’s drawing him.

4/07/2022 12:47 pm  #59

What's drawing him to Oklahoma?
It's not GW!

4/07/2022 12:54 pm  #60

Well, he can contemplate living in Oklahoma for his other interests outside of basketball, or playing here under a coach who just went to the Elite 8. 
  Joe can be part of something new and exciting or transfer. It's up to him if he wants to take the risk of leaving and go to his third school in three years.
 We can and should do well either way.

Board footera