GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2022 9:34 am  #101

Re: Joe Bamisile

I completely agree about the defense.  I never saw a ball fake or a shot fake that Joe didn't fall for, but playing solid defense does not get you onto Sports Center...windmill dunks do.   As for the joy of playing before Christian, c'mon.   Does anyone truly believe for a second that if Christian was retained but Joe was still allowed to transfer without having to sit a year that he would have stayed?   Again, the transfer from GW was a no brainer for Joe, as GW offered him nothing other than being a big fish in a small pond, whereas Joe needs the bigger pond.  As for the 6 pm timing of his scheduled announcement to coincide with the press conference and reception for the new coach that was suppose to go from 4:30 - 6:00, I am sure that the millions that were waiting with baited breath as to where he would be playing next season could have waited a day for that news.  It was a classless act.   

4/12/2022 10:17 am  #102

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

I completely agree about the defense.  I never saw a ball fake or a shot fake that Joe didn't fall for, but playing solid defense does not get you onto Sports Center...windmill dunks do.   As for the joy of playing before Christian, c'mon.   Does anyone truly believe for a second that if Christian was retained but Joe was still allowed to transfer without having to sit a year that he would have stayed?   Again, the transfer from GW was a no brainer for Joe, as GW offered him nothing other than being a big fish in a small pond, whereas Joe needs the bigger pond.  As for the 6 pm timing of his scheduled announcement to coincide with the press conference and reception for the new coach that was suppose to go from 4:30 - 6:00, I am sure that the millions that were waiting with baited breath as to where he would be playing next season could have waited a day for that news.  It was a classless act.   

So in your view, Joe was transferring regardless of a coaching change?  Am not sure I agree with this at all.  How many coaches would have allowed Joe to display the antics/behavior/joy (call it what you will) that JC not only permitted but outright encouraged?  10%?  Likely less.  Am not saying that there would have been no way that Joe would have transferred without the coaching change, but to suggest that this was a done deal whether JC returned or not is something I don't believe was the case either.

4/12/2022 10:44 am  #103

i think it's unlikely he even knew what time the press conference was. But the way this has triggered some folks on here makes me hope he did it on purpose and is having a good laugh over people complaining on here.

4/12/2022 11:18 am  #104

Hugh wrote:

i think it's unlikely he even knew what time the press conference was. But the way this has triggered some folks on here makes me hope he did it on purpose and is having a good laugh over people complaining on here.

I'll be honest, I'm in the same boat as you. He's a 20 year old kid. Is this really that big of a deal? He did good things for GW and I for one wish him the best at Oklahoma.

4/12/2022 11:26 am  #105

It was classless -thats all-not courteous-feckless.I’ll leave it there.Thanks LSF for the validation-apparently 
great minds think alike on this one!After 13? years of personal psychotherapy-I needed every year!-Im 
struck that I still need validation on occasion.

Last edited by GW69 (4/12/2022 11:26 am)

4/12/2022 1:16 pm  #106

Gwmayhem wrote:

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

So in your view, Joe was transferring regardless of a coaching change?  Am not sure I agree with this at all.  How many coaches would have allowed Joe to display the antics/behavior/joy (call it what you will) that JC not only permitted but outright encouraged?  10%?  Likely less.  

In today's environment, Bamisile could probably transfer a lot of places after his scoring rehabilitation stint at GW. And LSF makes some excellent points about Joe. But this above is an interesting observation in the debate about Joe's very seemingly classless final act at GW. Too bad because he really seemed, at least, on a path to become one of GW's great student-athlete citizens off the court.
     His conduct/loose play on the court, as described by GWMayhem, was probably one of the factors that led to JC's demise. It stands out a lot more when you're losing.

4/12/2022 1:55 pm  #107

This fluidity of movement is one of the downsides of the portal.  

4/12/2022 2:08 pm  #108

Whether Bamisile would have transferred had Christian stayed and  he was allowed to is a question we will never know the answer to Mayhem, but irrespective of who the coach was, and based upon what I have observed from Joe, it the choice was between playing before 10,000 plus fans before a team that regularly competes for an NCAA slot, with far greater natonal exposure and the potential marketing money as opposed to playing before a team that plays before 1200 fans on a team that is ranked below 200, hasn't sniffed 500 in years, and very limited opportunity for that marketing money, I think it is a no brainer, and again, I cannot emphasize enough that I don't blame him for leaving.   Would love to hear your argument why he would have preferred staying at GW as opposed to going to Oklahoma.  The sad fact is, we are going to face this problem with every above average high school recruit that attends GW...at least until the program is built up to the extent where GW becomes a destination school as opposed to one that players settle on.  Or put it another way, if you were an outstanding minor league baseball player, would you prefer to stay in Rochester, no matter how much you loved your manager, or move up to Washington.   (Fill in jokes about the Nationals being a minor league quality team here).

OK, Mayhem, one more question I am sure everyone on the board is dying to know...can we anticipate a change of your name, now that "Mayhem" is no longer associated with GW?

4/12/2022 2:29 pm  #109

LSF, the only argument for his staying at GW would be that his playing time at Oklahoma could end up resembling his playing time at Virginia Tech.  He has already had the experience of being a small fish in a large pond so maybe his GW situation, particularly had it continued under a coach he was close with and who allowed him to be himself on the court, would have been preferable.  FWIW, Coach Caputo struck me during his press conference as a "there's a time for clowning around" and "there's a time for no-nonsense" type of guy, which I personally don't think would have bode well for Joe.

About Mayhem....no immediate plans but if or when I decide to change, I will announce it to everyone here and will of course clear it with Barry.   And then, I will fully prepare myself to be accused of being the guy who posts under multiple names yet again, by the guy who actually does post here under multiple names.

4/12/2022 2:49 pm  #110

Gwmayhem wrote:

About Mayhem....no immediate plans but if or when I decide to change, I will announce it to everyone here and will of course clear it with Barry.   And then, I will fully prepare myself to be accused of being the guy who posts under multiple names yet again, by the guy who actually does post here under multiple names.

As long as you don't change your name to BGFSucks, I'm pretty much good with most any new name you'd like to go with.

4/12/2022 2:56 pm  #111

I don't think Joe Bamisile would have transferred if Jamion Christian remained the coach because he already had the experience of being a small fish in a large pond as Gwmayhem put it, and it was clear that JC would allow Bamisile to play his game without many restrictions. He may run into some problems at Oklahoma because the showboating and erratic shots may get him benched on a team like Oklahoma and/or really rile up the likes of Kansas, Baylor, Texas and Texas Tech!! It may not be a good idea for Bamisile to do any of his antics in road games at Kansas, Texas Tech and Baylor. 

To keithgreene's point about the fluidity of movement with the transfer portal, I don't think it will be that hard for GW to find another Bamisile(talented BCS player who didn't get much of an opportunity) because the sheer number of Bamisile type players looking for a chance to play. GW has brought in Bishop, Lindo and Moyer in recent years, this year should be no different, especially with Caputo's BCS connections. 

4/13/2022 8:26 pm  #112

Some additional background on why Bamisille left

https://oklahoma.rivals.com/news/bamisile-ready-to-make-music-at-ou

4/13/2022 10:25 pm  #113

A friend of mine who claims to have friends in high places (I know...how many degrees of separation...ha) mentioned to me weeks ago that Bamisile may have already had a foot out the door before JC was even fired. He said the immediacy of Bamisile's entering the portal was further proof and confirmed what he had heard (JC fired on 3/14 and Bamisile enters transfer portal on 3/16).

Now with Joe's statements about mental health and discomfort living in DC, I truly wonder. We may never know, but its completely possible Joe was gone no matter who was our head coach this coming season. 

And just like any player who has donned the buff and blue, I wish him the absolute best of luck. He will be missed.

4/14/2022 5:49 am  #114

"I know what’s a good shot, what’s a bad shot."

4/14/2022 10:28 am  #115

Oklahoma - bastion of liberty.  NOT

4/14/2022 10:48 am  #116

I found Joe's remarks about depression to be very enlightening.  Watching his on-court demeanor, one might think that Joe is about the least depressed person imaginable.  But interestingly, this can be part of the disease...the experience of feeling very high "highs" only to have to come down to lower than average "lows".

Am reading Judd Apatow's latest book which is a series of interviews.  Not only has Judd suffered from depression but it seems like many of his interview subjects have as well.  David Letterman acknowledged that hosting his shows on NBC and CBS were about the only times when he wasn't feeling depressed.  He wanted the taping of his shows to never end for he knew what life would feel like once the cameras stopped rolling.  

Back to Joe, one can understand why someone who grew up in rural Virginia and spent a year in Blacksburg may have felt overwhelmed living in a large city for the first time in his life.  Given this information, it certainly stands to reason that OU would have been his next stop even if GW had retained JC.

I'll go along with Mentzinger when I say that I am not convinced that Joe always knows the difference between a bad shot and a good one.  Nevertheless, this pales in comparison to more significant issues which Joe is undoubtedly dealing with.  I will hope he becomes an impact player at OU, and will hope even more that he may cope with and ultimately overcome the disease that he has.

4/14/2022 4:15 pm  #117

So, he had committed to Northwestern, signed with VA Tech, transferred to GW and then transferred
to Oklahoma, by the end of his sophomore year.
   Interestingly, he didn't visit the campus before committing. That might have been a good idea to see
the fit. Didn't know Joe was from a rural area.
   If he does suffer from depression, hope OU takes it seriously and the move helps. Should with the
waiver, though fairly sure GW won't oppose.
 Hope he pursues academic, music and leadership avenues. Joe has a lot to contribute outside of basketball anywhere.

4/14/2022 4:54 pm  #118

Didn't visit the campus before visiting?  According to the article posted, he didn't even meet the coach before committing to Oklahoma.  

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (4/14/2022 4:56 pm)

1/14/2023 3:56 pm  #119

From a recent Tulsa World article on the Sooners:

While Sherfield has emerged as the Sooners’ transfer star, fellow portal newcomer Joe Bamisile has found less success in his first season at OU.

Through 14 games, the guard from George Washington is averaging 3.4 points in 10.6 minutes per game and has not featured off the bench since the Sooners Dec. 17 win over Central Arkansas.

Moser danced around a question on why Bamisile has remained planted to the bench and instead spoke on the challenge facing role players like Bamisile, Otega Oweh and C.J. Noland.

“I met with Joe yesterday, met with Otega,” Moser explained. “You hear (Los Angeles Lakers coach) Darvin Ham say with the Lakers, he’ll say to the guys that you’re my ‘stay ready’ guys. And that’s hard. To be a stay-ready guy is hard.”

12/15/2023 8:04 am  #120

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein 13h
VCU's Joe Bamisile will make his season debut on Saturday against Temple, per release. Bamisile is a three-time transfer who has previously played at Virginia Tech, GW, and Oklahoma whose initial waiver and appeal was denied by the NCAA prior to yesterday's court ruling.

Board footera