GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2022 10:12 pm  #1

ML

Did anyone else receive a tweet from former Coach ML today?

6/03/2022 12:56 pm  #2

Re: ML

ML is living happily ever after courtesy of GW's payoff 6 years ago. I suggest you do the same.
For those few of us who still bother to follow GW Basketball and follow ML on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, ML could care less about GW and the sorry state of our athletic dept. It appears from his social media that what's on his mind right now is the CU Baseball Team in the D-1 College World Series, College Lacrosse (his daughter plays), the Commanders and all things related to being at the MD/DE shore.

On another note, I hope CC can get a few players for the upcoming season!

6/03/2022 1:29 pm  #3

So this did make me check ML's twitter. He posted about Kevin Spacey and said that Spacey looked "like the predator that ruined my career."

Not sure he's living happily ever after. But do wish the team could get back to the level of success they had with him (and early year Hobbs).

6/03/2022 2:50 pm  #4

I do follow him on Twitter, but have not had any contact with him since his departure from GW.  I was pretty surprised that he contacted me personally and was very put off by what he said.

6/04/2022 11:07 pm  #5

What did he say,Keith?

6/05/2022 6:03 pm  #6

I will summarize rather than copy:
1. He was 100% innocent - have I figured that out yet or am I still drinking the kool-aid?
2. He was surprised someone as smart as me could be so naive.
3. I let them destroy what was on its way to being a top 25 program as I sat by quietly. Sad!
4. He did absolutely nothing wrong and worked his ass off and was loyal to GWU.
5. He turned down Boston College and Rutgers.
6. If I don't know the truth by now, I should ask Doug Winkler.
7. Me and the few other people who actually cared about the program should apologize publicly to his family and put him in the GW Hall of Fame.
8. Until that happens, he hopes the program remains one of the worst programs in Division One. 

Last edited by keithgreene (6/05/2022 6:04 pm)

6/05/2022 7:07 pm  #7

I heard many difficult stories when I was in private practice.This is a 3 out of 10.ML needs to mourn his losses
and move on.

6/05/2022 8:17 pm  #8

Thank you for the detailed summary,Keith
While not endorsing the message at all,it is fair to say he got screwed.
And that ML was indeed loyal,turning down multiples of his salary. In return, his livelihood was destroyed and his name besmirched in a narrative that was at best,very different from what was initially presented to the public.
  So,while it was inadvisable and not right for him to contact Keith privately like that,he's earned his bitterness at the hands of GW.  It's not a great look and Keith shouldn't have to deal with an off putting message, -- and as GW69 notes professionally, far worse things have happened to people. I would add ML got roughly $3 million for it. But that doesn't make it right,moral or decent.
   It would loom large to anyone.

6/05/2022 8:39 pm  #9

jf wrote:

And that ML was indeed loyal,turning down multiples of his salary..

Are we sure ML is telling the truth when he says he turned those schools down? Because frankly it that was truly a colossally dumb decision to not take the money. For all we know BC and Rutgers said he didn’t get the job but ML leaked it to the press it was actually HE who turned THEM down.

Also, I question how successful ML would’ve been in the transfer portal era. He already had a reputation for running off guys he didn’t like (see Jorgensen, Paul) and now guys no longer have to weigh sitting out a year. I don’t see ML becoming a “players coach” like a lot of the P5 coaches have had to do to keep kids from leaving.

Last edited by GW0509 (6/05/2022 8:42 pm)

6/06/2022 9:05 am  #10

GW0509 wrote:

jf wrote:

And that ML was indeed loyal,turning down multiples of his salary..

Are we sure ML is telling the truth when he says he turned those schools down? Because frankly it that was truly a colossally dumb decision to not take the money. For all we know BC and Rutgers said he didn’t get the job but ML leaked it to the press it was actually HE who turned THEM down.

Also, I question how successful ML would’ve been in the transfer portal era. He already had a reputation for running off guys he didn’t like (see Jorgensen, Paul) and now guys no longer have to weigh sitting out a year. I don’t see ML becoming a “players coach” like a lot of the P5 coaches have had to do to keep kids from leaving.

100% true. I know because I discussed this with him at the time. He didn't want to leave the area because of family considerations. In retrospect, he should have run to those jobs and this is a lesson for all GW coaches as no one since the 1970s ended their GW coaching career on their own accord save for Mike Jarvis. That's 9 coaches and 8 of them were terminated or forced to resign. Can anyone think of another D1 school with a similar track record over the past 50 years (other than a school like Duke who had 2 coaches)?

6/06/2022 10:40 am  #11

This all sounds very fishy to me.  Not doubting what Keith has posted but am also wondering whether someone else may have been tweeting on Mike's behalf.

Would Mike himself really go so far to say that he deserves to be put in the Hall of Fame?
Would Mike himself really wish that the program be one of the worst in the country?

Even if he would convey these thoughts privately among family and friends, would he really have taken this approach fully realizing that these sentiments could find their way to the public?  What is the end game...to convince GW fans one at a time of his innocence?  Would he run the risk of violating his settlement agreement by doing so?

I also saw the Kevin Spacey comment that danjsport referenced and was a bit surprised that he would go there.  So I suppose anything is possible.  However, this has the look of someone "representing" ML, rather than the coach himself.  Just a hunch.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (6/06/2022 11:31 am)

6/06/2022 1:15 pm  #12

I don't agree, gwmayhem.  There are too many posts in his Twitter account to indicate that he wants to express his opinions, which is his right.  Is it possible that the gag part of his settlement agreement has expired?

6/06/2022 1:45 pm  #13

Keith, I'm not sure he'll ever be able to freely speak about all of this.  I'd have to believe that GW would not have paid millions to agree to be (potentially) disparaged after any length of time has passed.

My concern isn't really the right to provide opinions so much as some of the specific ones you've provided.  Do you really think he would make that HoF comment about himself?    Sure, I can see the first part of that...wanting an apology issued to himself and his family.  That's fine.  Claiming that he should be put in the school's HoF just doesn't sound like him at all.  That seems like a little too much grandstanding.  

He hopes the program remains one of the worst in the sport?  That just does not sound like it's coming from him.  Am not questioning that he might feel this way behind closed doors, nor that it came from his Twitter, but to tweet all of this to you?  Just doesn't sound right to me.

6/06/2022 2:18 pm  #14

Gwmayhem wrote:

Keith, I'm not sure he'll ever be able to freely speak about all of this.  I'd have to believe that GW would not have paid millions to agree to be (potentially) disparaged after any length of time has passed.

My concern isn't really the right to provide opinions so much as some of the specific ones you've provided.  Do you really think he would make that HoF comment about himself?    Sure, I can see the first part of that...wanting an apology issued to himself and his family.  That's fine.  Claiming that he should be put in the school's HoF just doesn't sound like him at all.  That seems like a little too much grandstanding.  

He hopes the program remains one of the worst in the sport?  That just does not sound like it's coming from him.  Am not questioning that he might feel this way behind closed doors, nor that it came from his Twitter, but to tweet all of this to you?  Just doesn't sound right to me.

Gwmayhem, I have no idea whether ML wrote what Keith described. However, it does sound a little like ML. But I can also tell you that ML often says some things in jest. So hard to know whether that (HOF) was serious or he was trying to be over the top funny. 

Regardless, ML does deserve to be in the GW HOF if for no other reason that he won the NIT. At some point after some more time and space has occurred (maybe by 2026 - 10 year anniversary) GW should do the right thing and at least put that team in the HOF and honor ML along with it.

Last edited by GWRising (6/06/2022 2:19 pm)

6/06/2022 2:55 pm  #15

We have no good news about GW Basketball so our illustrious poster Keithgreene (aka dude) gets a personal email out of the blue by ML! 
Come on GW grads, use your brains you allegedly had to get into GW with before they fell in the rankings.
I also saw the Tweet by ML poking fun at Nero - I LMAO because Spacey looked just like Nero in the photo - what a coincidence both sexually assaulted young males!
Typical ML humor - now Keith wants us to believe ML is reaching out to him to spew all his "victimization" crap. Not buying it.
Let it go people. ML has been gone too long now. 

Keith Greene, let us know when you hear from Trump what really went down on Jan 6th.

6/06/2022 3:14 pm  #16

Joel Joseph wrote:

We have no good news about GW Basketball so our illustrious poster Keithgreene (aka dude) gets a personal email out of the blue by ML! 
Come on GW grads, use your brains you allegedly had to get into GW with before they fell in the rankings.
I also saw the Tweet by ML poking fun at Nero - I LMAO because Spacey looked just like Nero in the photo - what a coincidence both sexually assaulted young males!
Typical ML humor - now Keith wants us to believe ML is reaching out to him to spew all his "victimization" crap. Not buying it.
Let it go people. ML has been gone too long now. 

Keith Greene, let us know when you hear from Trump what really went down on Jan 6th.

I don't mind you being smug in general, but when you get smug towards me, you cross my personal line. Invoke all of your own ideas you want, but leave my name out of the conversation.  Show some class.

6/08/2022 3:22 pm  #17

Your claim to using your "real name" was debunked several years ago.

I need a favor - I'm heading down to the Delaware Shore for a week. When ML emails you this week, can you find out if he will be down there over the next week or so? If so, I would love to talk hoops with him. Thanks Keith Greene (or whoever you really are).

6/08/2022 5:16 pm  #18

Joel Joseph wrote:

Your claim to using your "real name" was debunked several years ago.

I need a favor - I'm heading down to the Delaware Shore for a week. When ML emails you this week, can you find out if he will be down there over the next week or so? If so, I would love to talk hoops with him. Thanks Keith Greene (or whoever you really are).

In fairness Joel, there is a guy named Keith Greene who has supported this program for a very long time. Now whether this is the real Keith Greene or someone else using his name, I would have no idea.

6/08/2022 5:26 pm  #19

You wanna know if it's the real me?  Meet me in person! And thank you GWRising for your supportive response.

6/08/2022 5:45 pm  #20

And by the way, bring the folks who "debunked" my using my real name several years ago!  That way, I can embarrass all of you in one fell swoop!  You wanna know more about me?  https://www.linkedin.com/in/keithgreenesphr/

Board footera