GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2022 2:54 pm  #281

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

I’m outraged-That an “institution of higher learning” can’t differentiate between a victimizer and a victim is
pathetic.Having said that if they come up with something with some panache or catches the zeitgeist I’ll 
follow along.On another note-although this appears to be a piece of “woke” nonsense and “cancel culture”
I can’t let GW Risings post go unanswered.My friend -what is more egregious,changing the moniker of a 
University or not televising the Jan 6th committee?With no commercials!Talk about canceling.

6/15/2022 3:04 pm  #282

Binghamton were also called the Colonials at one point and they were named after the architecture not the people. Ended up with the goofy name Bearcats. I think Robert Morris are the last Colonials left?

6/15/2022 3:05 pm  #283

I just don't care. I don't find the name Colonials offensive in any way. But also, I don't feel attached to the school because of the Colonials nickname. I feel attached to the school because it is where I went to school. I'll still feel attached if they change the actual name. 

If people are offended, changing it and leaving people less offended is better. There's a lot in life to be upset/worried/angry about. I just choose not to be any of those things about GW's name. I'm looking forward to buying a new hat and some new shirts in 2023.

6/15/2022 3:15 pm  #284

danjsport wrote:

I just don't care. I don't find the name Colonials offensive in any way. But also, I don't feel attached to the school because of the Colonials nickname. I feel attached to the school because it is where I went to school. I'll still feel attached if they change the actual name. 

If people are offended, changing it and leaving people less offended is better. There's a lot in life to be upset/worried/angry about. I just choose not to be any of those things about GW's name. I'm looking forward to buying a new hat and some new shirts in 2023.

Spot on, word perfect. 

6/15/2022 3:15 pm  #285

Gwmayhem wrote:

Mike K wrote:

ESPN AP Article

According to an online statement from the university, a that committee determined that supporters of "Colonials" view it as referring to "those who lived in the American colonies, especially those who fought for independence and democracy," while opponents see the term as referring to "colonizers who stole land and resources from indigenous groups, killed or exiled Native peoples and introduced slavery into the colonies."

NO, NO, NO!  Definitions of words are not matters of opinion.  You can't take the word "refrigerator" and state that one group views the word as an appliance designed to store and keep food cold while others define it as a fluid put in a car to enable power steering.  Colonizer and Colonial are different words with different meanings, not subject to interpretation.

Totally agree with you Gwmayhem

6/15/2022 3:56 pm  #286

"I attended GW at a time when I was unable to set foot in my country of birth because the USA had installed a brutal dictatorship (ie Yanqui imperialism). Since then, I have lived in countries where the USA funded civil wars to "protect its interests", wars that killed people and continue to create hardships and limit economic development due to the damage they brought to the countries.
I know the difference between a "Colonial" and a "colonist". I know the difference between a tricornered hat and pith helmet. I know the difference between an IPA and the CIA. Every week, I meet with a group of people who had live electric wires strapped to their genitalia with the full knowledge, approval and funding of the government of the United States. None of them are confused by the difference, either.
Everyone arrives on their college campus with the fantasy of changing the mascot or renaming the quad or tossing out the evil Dean. "Colonials" may not be a totally rad nickname, but it is not an endorsement of imperalism, a symbol of opression or an offense to downtrodden masses. Had the arguement been "it is antiquated and lame" I might have given it some thought. 
Until you have looked down the barrel of a rifle held by a soldier who feels that you (his/her compatriot) is an enemy and that a far-away government in another country that provided the rifle is a friend, then you cannot claim to have any knowledge of what "invokes" imperialsm or not."

GW alum abroad...Well said! We've gone off the rails and the only thing awaiting us is how bad the crash will be. Babies without food, people who can't afford to go to work due to the price of gasoline. Yeah, yeah. But we must worry about the name of a mascot of a school. And then spending a lot of money to change it.

Do I really care? No. What bothers me though is allowing the masses (which are probably at best a third of the whole) to demand and whine and change things because of what THEY think. Right or wrong 'we' cower and shake in fear because we're scared of the loud third. When are the grown-ups going to act like grown-ups.

Chris

6/15/2022 4:06 pm  #287

Let´s leave the pros-cons on dropping Colonials to the other thread and use this to discuss possible replacements.

My suggestion is Independents. The school´s namesake was against political parties and led the army that made the USA an independent country. Also, this still gives out-of-town media a chance to spell the name wrong (Independence will be the new Colonels). And it is in keeping with the political hotbed that the University is smack-dab in the center of.

Others have suggested:
1) Revolutionaries-- An easy pick and on-brand. It also would allow the school the change the court at the Smith Center from having pictures of DC area sights to portraits of John Brown, Stokely Carmichael and Eugene Debbs. Sadly, too similar to the MLS team in the Boston area.
2) Carvers-- I like this one, but it may be a bit beyond the mean intellect of mainstream America (then again, Wheel of Fortune and the nutritional information graphic on a cereal box are also beyond the intellect of mainstream America, so that might not be so bad-- the country is in really bad shape). But I don´t see a very eye-pleasing logo-- maybe a Mount Vernon overseer eating peanut butter? not really easy to put on a t-shirt.
3) Hippos-- A million times no. SJT is just some old ex-employee who hangs around the office too much because he is too much of a loser to take up a hobby in his retirement. To reward his ego with this would be to send the University on a death spiral that results in American buying most of the land the campus is on now. Hard pass.
4) Commanders-- Sure. The NFL team has won exactly zero games with that name, and yet still managed to continue insulting racial minorities with its existence (see Del Rio, Jack). Given George Washington´s slave ownership, opponents would refer to the school as "Master and Commander".
5) Bulldog and/or Wildcats-- Of course, there are not enough schools using these nom de guerres out there already. Might as well make vanilla the official school flavour.
6) Districts-- Not exactly a fierce wild animal that will rip your head off, but it does draw attention to where the school is located and, perhaps, increase community interest in the teams. It might also get derided as political ploy to draw attention to the District´s attempt to get Congressional representation and budget autonomy. Accept this only if it comes with a tax break from the city that might otherwise have gone to wasting money on a stadium for the NFl team .

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (6/15/2022 4:12 pm)

6/15/2022 4:15 pm  #288

I might accept Independenzzz!
Maybe Capitols (have to share with the Caps), Foxes (had a lot of rabid ones around of late), maybe surveyer's (for George's first job).
Doesn't matter. They'll pick somethng, and we'll have to live with it.

6/15/2022 4:22 pm  #289

Thanks for posting this, GWAA.   

I like referring to us, officially, as The Buff and Blue, but stylized as the Buffs for the team nickname. 

The fight song already calls us the Buff and the Blue, a Buffalo mascot works, and Buffalo (Bison) we’re prevalent all throughout our country during that era.

6/15/2022 4:24 pm  #290

Wokesters

Last edited by GWRising (6/15/2022 4:26 pm)

6/15/2022 4:28 pm  #291

The GW Ewes!

6/15/2022 4:29 pm  #292

chrisw wrote:

"I attended GW at a time when I was unable to set foot in my country of birth because the USA had installed a brutal dictatorship (ie Yanqui imperialism). Since then, I have lived in countries where the USA funded civil wars to "protect its interests", wars that killed people and continue to create hardships and limit economic development due to the damage they brought to the countries.
I know the difference between a "Colonial" and a "colonist". I know the difference between a tricornered hat and pith helmet. I know the difference between an IPA and the CIA. Every week, I meet with a group of people who had live electric wires strapped to their genitalia with the full knowledge, approval and funding of the government of the United States. None of them are confused by the difference, either.
Everyone arrives on their college campus with the fantasy of changing the mascot or renaming the quad or tossing out the evil Dean. "Colonials" may not be a totally rad nickname, but it is not an endorsement of imperalism, a symbol of opression or an offense to downtrodden masses. Had the arguement been "it is antiquated and lame" I might have given it some thought. 
Until you have looked down the barrel of a rifle held by a soldier who feels that you (his/her compatriot) is an enemy and that a far-away government in another country that provided the rifle is a friend, then you cannot claim to have any knowledge of what "invokes" imperialsm or not."

GW alum abroad...Well said! We've gone off the rails and the only thing awaiting us is how bad the crash will be. Babies without food, people who can't afford to go to work due to the price of gasoline. Yeah, yeah. But we must worry about the name of a mascot of a school. And then spending a lot of money to change it.

Do I really care? No. What bothers me though is allowing the masses (which are probably at best a third of the whole) to demand and whine and change things because of what THEY think. Right or wrong 'we' cower and shake in fear because we're scared of the loud third. When are the grown-ups going to act like grown-ups.

Chris

Amen.

6/15/2022 4:31 pm  #293

GW69 wrote:

I’m outraged-That an “institution of higher learning” can’t differentiate between a victimizer and a victim is
pathetic.Having said that if they come up with something with some panache or catches the zeitgeist I’ll 
follow along.On another note-although this appears to be a piece of “woke” nonsense and “cancel culture”
I can’t let GW Risings post go unanswered.My friend -what is more egregious,changing the moniker of a 
University or not televising the Jan 6th committee?With no commercials!Talk about canceling.

I'll tell you what. You can televise the whole January 6th hearings in primetime on every network if you agree that in the upper right hand corner of the screen we have the current average price per gallon of gas and the current annualized inflation rate. Fair?

Last edited by GWRising (6/15/2022 4:31 pm)

6/15/2022 4:32 pm  #294

BGF wrote:

I like referring to us, officially, as The Buff and Blue, but stylized as the Buffs for the team nickname. 

The fight song already calls us the Buff and the Blue, a Buffalo mascot works, and Buffalo (Bison) we’re prevalent all throughout our country during that era.

I agree and posted the same on the other thread. I'll add that other schools (Stanford, Syracuse) have made the change to a color without much fanfare.  The biggest reason I like it is that Buff(s) would be unique without obviously trying to be unique.

I wouldn't add a new mascot though. Just keep everything the same. Howard had the bison covered for DC.

Last edited by Geno (6/15/2022 4:42 pm)

6/15/2022 4:33 pm  #295

Gwmayhem wrote:

Mike K wrote:

ESPN AP Article

According to an online statement from the university, a that committee determined that supporters of "Colonials" view it as referring to "those who lived in the American colonies, especially those who fought for independence and democracy," while opponents see the term as referring to "colonizers who stole land and resources from indigenous groups, killed or exiled Native peoples and introduced slavery into the colonies."

NO, NO, NO!  Definitions of words are not matters of opinion.  You can't take the word "refrigerator" and state that one group views the word as an appliance designed to store and keep food cold while others define it as a fluid put in a car to enable power steering.  Colonizer and Colonial are different words with different meanings, not subject to interpretation.

This should be framed and sent to the powers that be at GW.

6/15/2022 4:55 pm  #296

BGF wrote:

Excellent idea, like every aspect of it BGF 

6/15/2022 4:59 pm  #297

Stealing from an old political party I Think we should be the GW “Know Nothings”.  We obviously can’t explain the difference between Colonials and Colonialism.

Or just go opposite.  George Washington RedCoats.  Let’s see if the students understand irony.

6/15/2022 5:43 pm  #298

If we're going to be known as the GW Buff, naked George Washington really ought to be the mascot.

Let's push for Carvers.  Free bags of peanuts whenever the team makes 7 threes in a contest.  

6/15/2022 5:49 pm  #299

For me, a school name works best when it signifies a group that you can be a part of. Even better if it is recognizing a group that your values align with. 

Because GW students already lack school spirit and I don’t believe in GW’s marketing office to properly get me pumped up about an animal or color, my vote would be for Revolutionaries.

For a school as political as GW I think the word will offer multiple meanings to multiple people. And it has a historical bent as well.

6/15/2022 5:51 pm  #300

Question for BGF.  For those of us who have Colonials in their screen name, are we supposed to change it?

Board footera