GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2022 1:55 pm  #381

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

I move we change the name of the board to gwcolonialshoops.boardhost.com. Do I have a second?

6/18/2022 7:49 am  #382

Woke Mob (could also replace George’s Army)

Foggy Bottoms (for clarity of thinking behind this)

The Terrorists?  That’s how the British might characterize our namesake.

Liberators?  I like it as a possible affirmative unifier, but doesn’t feel good to the ear.

If we can have three Rams, what about two Patriots?

6/18/2022 10:06 am  #383

Do you ever get the feeling that you are being "owned?"

6/18/2022 1:55 pm  #384

How about Woodies in honor of George's teeth?

6/18/2022 3:17 pm  #385

The Statesmen; Is there a non-gender word for the Foreign Service folks?

Last edited by BC (6/18/2022 3:18 pm)

6/18/2022 3:49 pm  #386

“First Family”—this could never happen-way to out there.My favorite moniker is the Arkansas Tech
"Wonder Boys".Not sure why-but It makes me smile.

Last edited by GW69 (6/18/2022 3:53 pm)

6/18/2022 4:52 pm  #387

Thought Colonials was a meh name when I arrived in Foggy Bottom in 2004. Still think it's a meh name.

Totally fine with changing it.

Maybe the George Washington Presidents? Continentals? Bald Eagles?

Fight song will be unaffected regardless.

Hail to the Buff,
Hail to the Blue,
Hail to the Buff and Blue!
All our lives we'll be proud to say,
We hail from GW! (Go Big Blue!)
Oh, by George, we're happy we can say,
We're GW, here to show the way, so
Raise high the Buff!
Raise high the Blue!
Loyal to GW
You bet we're
Loyal to GW!
Fight!

6/18/2022 6:39 pm  #388

BC wrote:

The Statesmen; Is there a non-gender word for the Foreign Service folks?

Do you mean "Diplomats"? (Although if limiting ourselves to the US Foreign Service then "Trenchcoats" or "Imperialist Oppressors" would be more accurate, and, yes, that was meant to be triggering snark so take the bait at your own risk...).

6/24/2022 8:37 am  #389

I have no concern with changing the name. The best point I read to date is if the moniker is so offensive go the GW Team route right away. I've written the school that my concern is that GW will put itself through such a tortured process that we end up with a garbage nickname like Commanders or Guardians that will compound the heartburn over this change. My bet is that GW over-values student input in an effort to sit at the cool kids table; so, its Riverhorses here we come!

All I need is a plural nickname with a single syllable diminutive.

6/24/2022 9:09 am  #390

" never did like the moniker, but its the REASON that it is being changed that irritates people (me at least). I will reserve judgment until I learn the new moniker, but if its the Hippos, I'm out..."

My thoughts exactly. 
I imagine whenever this moniker was decided on, maybe inthe 1930's, iyt must have been thoughtthat GW himself was a "Colonial."  it is kind of a quaint and goofy name for a team.... BUt it sure ain't Colonist or Colonizer........so the fact that somone is in high dudgeon and thinks getting rid of it will make people feel more comforable or whatever.....really?  GMAFB!

6/28/2022 3:32 pm  #391

I vote for Revolutionaries, Revs for short. River Horses is ok, not exactly Hippos but still kinda cavalry-ish. The youths seem to really like the hippo for some reason. 

Very tired of hearing the term "moniker" though. The Hatchet accepted 100% the GW official terminology there.

Last edited by squid (6/28/2022 4:22 pm)

6/28/2022 5:11 pm  #392

squid wrote:

Very tired of hearing the term "moniker" though. The Hatchet accepted 100% the GW official terminology there.

I am sure calling it a "nickname" is considered exclusionary to anyone not named "Nick"...

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (6/28/2022 5:11 pm)

10/13/2022 9:55 am  #393

This was mentioned in another topic, so I started a separate thread.

Things continue to get more and more "minor league" about GW Athletics. A student vote would be a catastrophe. On the other hand, the powers that be also seem totally incapable of guaranteeing even the minimal satisfaction for GW's supporters.

Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that we should be the GW Buff and Blue. We have always been known as the Colonials AND the Buff and Blue, so why conjure up some corny name just to satisfy a handful of woke administrators who know very little about our sports programs. I totally support this name. Having lived in "Crimson" country for the past 30 years, B and B seems totally appropriate (and couldn't possibly be offensive to anyone)

If there has to be a vote, we need to at least make sure our choices (whatever they may be) get on the list of candidates. So as soon as anyone sees any mention of the "process", please let us all know so we can get in our $.02.

10/13/2022 10:25 am  #394

I was approached at Hoops Fest by someone who worked for the consulting firm and the way the question was framed to me was: Do you think the final choice should be put up to a vote or do you think the Board should just decide? 

I don't recall if they said any vote would be limited to current undergrads.

Last edited by GW0509 (10/13/2022 10:26 am)

10/13/2022 10:59 am  #395

I saw the Hatchet is recommending the Hippos.  I think that is just a terrible name.  I really hope they don't screw up and go for that.  I would be fine with just about any other name, the Buff and Blue, the Generals, the River Horses. 

I know some people think the Generals is a joke because of the Globe Trotters. But I am not sure anyone under the age of 60 knows that. 

Last edited by Deleo (10/13/2022 11:01 am)

10/13/2022 11:18 am  #396

Don't think things have changed enough that this stupid name will be a huge aid in recruiting.
Think about it.
What about PC'ers?

10/13/2022 12:56 pm  #397

How about Wokesters? Add in a new marketing campaign ... GW Virtue Signaling to the World. 

10/13/2022 1:14 pm  #398

You know, I'm 50+ myself, but God you both sound old. The world evolves. Plenty of the colonists were terrible people who enslaved millions and decimated the native population. Those are, as the kids say, Big Facts. So yeah, we didn't worry much about that in our day, but they do and don't want to use the name. So sad ... let's face it, it was always a sucky name.

10/13/2022 2:11 pm  #399

Colonists and Colonials aren't the same thing. Let's start there

10/13/2022 2:16 pm  #400

How about "GW...the University with the most bitter fanbase"?  Maybe have a lemon as a moniker since so many are so sour?

Board footera