GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2022 9:00 am  #1

Old News....But Still

Am unsure whether this was ever mentioned here and I'll apologize in advance if it was.  I mentioned having just read John Feinstein's several year old book about low and mid major college basketball and towards the end of the book, he was discussing GW's head coach job opening once MoJo was released.  One of the candidates scheduled to interview was Ryan Odom, then at UMBC.  Odom of course is in the record books having led the Retrievers to the only #16 over #1 upset in the history of the tournament.  He took over last season at Utah State where the team reached the NIT.  (I suppose we could see him in Hawaii which makes what I'm about to write next even more interesting.)

In any case, Odom was scheduled for an interview with TV when the day before, he received a memorandum of understanding sent by GW's search firm.  The memo essentially stated that not only would Odom's salary at GW be comparable to what he was already making at UMBC, but that the men's basketball budget at GW would also be comparable to UMBC's as well.  Realizing that he would be expected to compete in the A10 on an American East budget, Odom politely canceled the interview.

I can practically hear some of you reacting with the predictable lines such as "move on already" or "we're fortunate to have what we hope will be a great coach."  Both understandable sentiments.  Nevertheless, I wanted to make mention of this for a few reasons.  First, it clearly validates what posters like Rising and Poog have said about this program.  To those who have suggested that GW "has the money", well, they clearly are choosing not to spend it on this program.  It also makes me wonder whether we have a "chicken/egg" problem on our hands.  Is the school not adequately funding this program because of the overall lack of support (ticket sales, donations, sponsorships, etc.)?  Or, if this were turned around, if ticket sales and donations each rose substantially, would the school change its tune and begin to make a more meaningful investment?  I honestly don't know this answer.   

8/31/2022 9:53 am  #2

Re: Old News....But Still

Thank you Gwmayhem. The GW administration has to make a strong statement of investment and support (money) to show that it cares about a winning men's basketball program.  We have not seen that commitment from the admistration under the Knapp and LeBlanc.

8/31/2022 10:25 am  #3

Don't know the answer, but would have liked to see the memo.
Seems odd that unless requested, a university would send a memo outlining the salary
and parameters of the job, even before an initial interview. Unless they had some sort of interview beforehand and these points came up. Or Odom was being used to hold a minimum number of interviews to justify a job candidate already decided upon by the university (in this case, ultimately JC).
   Furthermore, if it wasn't GW, which could screw up a one-car parade, doing this, who in their right mind would try and lure someone away by saying your job salary and working conditions would be the same as the lower-level job you already have? What great motivation to take the position.
   I don't doubt Feinstein, though may doubt Odom's reflections as self-serving.
But given our propensity to self-inflict damage to the program routinely as of roughly September 2016, also
could believe that is exactly what happened, though it defies sense.
Maybe it was an Only At GW moment.

8/31/2022 11:31 am  #4

There was a great article about Loyola's addition to the A-10 at On3 (How Loyola Chicago prepared for its first year in the A-10 - On3).  Loyola's AD mentioned how they went to Gonzaga after the final four run to hear how to capitalize on their success (GW should've done this after 2006).  The key takeaway is that there must be "institutional alignment."

The value of institutional alignment
Before the A-10 evaluated Loyola Chicago based on its institutional fit, the university needed its internal institutional alignment.

In the summer of 2018, after the Ramblers made the Final Four, Watson, President Jo Ann Rooney, Senior Vice President for Administrative Services Tom Kelly and then-Chair of Loyola Chicago’s Board of Trustees Bob Parkinson traveled to Gonzaga to learn how the former mid-major men’s basketball program became one of the best in the sport. The group spent time with Gonzaga’s AD and president.

“Obviously, aspirational,” Watson said, laughing. “We’ve got a long way to go to get where Gonzaga is but that was our intent.”

The Loyola Chicago contingent certainly wasn’t the first — and likely not the last — to fly to Spokane to try to learn from Gonzaga’s roughly 30-year climb to prominence. However, Watson said Loyola Chicago was the first school to bring stakeholders who held those four specific roles.

“A lot of people want to talk to Gonzaga,” Watson said. “‘What’s the secret sauce?’ Or, ‘What’s the one thing?’ But nobody had ever done what we had done.”

Watson remembers repeatedly hearing the phrase “institutional alignment” when the Loyola Chicago leaders visited Gonzaga. Gonzaga’s president and AD “spoke the same language,” Watson said.

Amid changes at the presidential level and within the Board of Trustees, Watson believes that alignment will continue to exist at Loyola Chicago. Like Watson learned from his trip to Gonzaga, there’s not one single key to success.

“The success that we’ve experienced goes back 15 years,” he said, “when our former president, Father [Mike] Garanzini, he had a plan to invest in athletics.”

The Odom thing doesn't surprise me one bit because GW has not had institutional alignment ever since Omargate.

We're basically the Oakland A's of the A10.  We've had some success and even gotten close to being a top tier team in the conference.  But we've done it on a bare bones budget, with inadequate facilities, and without any ability to sustain success for more than a couple of years because our leadership does not speak with one voice when it comes to athletics.  

Clearly UMass and URI got into institutional alignment given the resources expended to improve their programs in the offseason.  Meanwhile, it took GW weeks to lock in the coach everyone thought was getting the job on day 1 and the only improvement we've seen so far is a one-way NetJets flight.

Last edited by GW0509 (8/31/2022 11:33 am)

8/31/2022 3:06 pm  #5

JF, it is very odd.  The memorandum would never normally come before the interview.  I think the job was JC's the moment he said he would leave Siena to take it  Good young coach at an affordable price.  The alternative is that the hot coach who made history is in for an interview, wants more money, the school stays cheap with JC, and then questions pile up as to why they didn't make the no-brainer decision of hiring Odom.

GW0509, 100% right.  Starts with the fact that there hasn't been anything close to an adequate replacement for Dr. Chernak.  As nice a person as TV is, she certainly would have benefitted from having someone like Dr. Chernak in her corner, representing the athletic department's interests.  Instead, she had to deal with Mark Diaz who sought to pull a power trip over her.  We had Randy Levine but he seems to have come and gone.  Same for Russ Ramsey.  Even with Diaz gone, the closest thing we have to a champion for the department is Michelle Rubin.  Am not suggesting this will not help but nothing yet has surfaced to suggest that her influence will lead to a more sturdy case of institutional alignment.

8/31/2022 3:39 pm  #6

As an easy point of comparison (thanks to CC), I can point to what sparked the University of Miami to begin investing more money into athletics. If anyone hasn’t seen the clip, Kirk Herbstreit called out the UM administration regarding athletics (based on an article written by the Miami Herald’s Barry Jackson, who is excellent). Obviously GW will never get called out by someone on college gameday, but the idea kinda stands where there needs to be some sort of public callout by an influential media member that singles out the administration in an embarrassing manner. We are not the university of Miami in terms of athletics and never will be, but to an extent I believe something along those lines must happen for GW to begin taking athletics serious again.

8/31/2022 5:04 pm  #7

GW is hosting community forums for its presidential search. The one for alumni is virtual:

Thursday, September 8, 2022
5:30-6:20 p.m.
https://gwu-edu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMrf-qqrjgpH92HajlYpRuogGq3MgPhcguD

No clue how much they’ll actually engage but could be a place for someone to raise athletics as a point of emphasis.

9/01/2022 8:02 am  #8

Sorry if this results in a double post.

“The Odom thing doesn't surprise me one bit because GW has not had institutional alignment ever since Omargate.”

This rings so true UNLESS the current situation reflects intuitional alignment where MBB gets lip service while championships in gymnastics and softball fulfill the Athletic Department’s mission?

Sigh! When will I learn that it’s actions not words that count.

9/01/2022 9:09 am  #9

I'm not going to rehash old news but if you only knew some of the other things that have occurred in connection with GW athletics over the past two decades, your head would spin around like Linda Blair in the Exorcist. Here's hoping that we can move forward in a way that puts the high number of missteps and foolishness behind us. It will start with naming a President who understands the role GW athletics can play at GW and puts the necessary resources in place instead of providing lip service while GW continually falls behind. Without that it won't really matter who the basketball coach is, who the AD is, etc. Discussing the basketball coach or AD is like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic at this point. The Board and senior university leadership need to wake the hell up or decide to move to a lesser conference. It's going to be one or the other - it's just a matter of time and maybe not that much time.

9/01/2022 10:25 am  #10

FredD wrote:

“The Odom thing doesn't surprise me one bit because GW has not had institutional alignment ever since Omargate.”

This rings so true UNLESS the current situation reflects intuitional alignment where MBB gets lip service while championships in gymnastics and softball fulfill the Athletic Department’s mission?

I happen to have gotten great enjoyment and pride from the championships in gymnastics and softball while lamenting the shortcomings in volleyball and men's basketball. Those student-athletes work just as hard and represent the best of the university as well as all the other athletes at GW.  As for support for sports and athletes, I happened across this section of a March 16, 1972 article by Dave Simmons in The Hatchet entitled "After College -- Dilemma of GW Athletes" 

"How do the senior players feel about the scholarship program here? Robbie Spagnolo, who spent three years at the University of Miami before transferring here last fall after UM dropped basketball, says there is no comparison between the two schools. Whereas Miami gave its players first class treatment, GW treats its athletes 'as though we owe them. Individual athletes don't matter here.'

Spagnolo cites as an instance where the athletic director balked at paying an $80 medical bill for an ankle injury he incurred early in the season. Other small hassles that never came up at Miami were things like insufficient meal money in New York City, and the bus breaking down on a New Jersey highway.

Though he rates the athletic program here as small time compared to Miami's, he says the GW coaching staff is far superior to the one he left behind. He also considered GW a much better school academically.

Spagnolo, a speech and communications major, will be graduating next January due to a loss in credits while transferring. He plans to go into radio or television work, but as for help from the athletic department in landing a job, he is 'not counting on it. They've never offered help yet, so I don't expect it.'

Robbie has no regrets about the move in which GW granted him a partial scholarship - tuition and books. 'I got the deal I wanted.' However, he claims 'GW got the bargain' because they never would have finished 11-14 without him."

Not all players cited in the article were as sour as Spagnolo but the GW situation rings familiar even as the school has done better since those days when Bob Faris was the AD.  The athletic landscape they compete in has changed and grown even more. But GW is still GW. Athletics will just not be the end all, be all at the school. The problem is that coaches are held to a higher standard and fans hold a higher expectation for success than are reasonable given the financial resources provided. All kinds of solutions - chartered flights, stacked academic/athletic scholarships, lowered admissions standards, practice facilities, lower conference affiliation etc. Surely there must be a well-healed somebody out there who likes sports, isn't a moral asshole and has a soft spot for the old alma mater or that of their child or the school that housed the hospital that saved their life. Until that person pops up or the Board concerns itself enough to improve the situation beyond worrying about whether we continue to get mislabeled as the Colonels because of our nickname or mistakenly called Georgetown because they're better known, then our situation won't change. Don't have to like it. But get used to it.

Last edited by Poog (9/01/2022 10:29 am)

9/01/2022 10:28 am  #11

I agree Rising not because you know some of the behind the scenes stuff; but, because based on what’s publicly observable it’s clear there is not a plan they can stick to.
And a plan that isn’t followed is no plan at all and No plan = No rebuild. Which makes the impact of NIL and the pandemic worse.

What do you all bet we get some University of Hartford flim flam couching dropping in conference as a money saver that will coincide with the university being renamed?

9/01/2022 6:50 pm  #12

Poog wrote:

FredD wrote:

I happen to have gotten great enjoyment and pride from the championships in gymnastics and softball while lamenting the shortcomings in volleyball and men's basketball. Those student-athletes work just as hard and represent the best of the university as well as all the other athletes at GW.  As for support for sports and athletes, I happened across this section of a March 16, 1972 article by Dave Simmons in The Hatchet entitled "After College -- Dilemma of GW Athletes" 

"How do the senior players feel about the scholarship program here? Robbie Spagnolo, who spent three years at the University of Miami before transferring here last fall after UM dropped basketball, says there is no comparison between the two schools. Whereas Miami gave its players first class treatment, GW treats its athletes 'as though we owe them. Individual athletes don't matter here.'

Spagnolo cites as an instance where the athletic director balked at paying an $80 medical bill for an ankle injury he incurred early in the season. Other small hassles that never came up at Miami were things like insufficient meal money in New York City, and the bus breaking down on a New Jersey highway.

Though he rates the athletic program here as small time compared to Miami's, he says the GW coaching staff is far superior to the one he left behind. He also considered GW a much better school academically.

Spagnolo, a speech and communications major, will be graduating next January due to a loss in credits while transferring. He plans to go into radio or television work, but as for help from the athletic department in landing a job, he is 'not counting on it. They've never offered help yet, so I don't expect it.'

Robbie has no regrets about the move in which GW granted him a partial scholarship - tuition and books. 'I got the deal I wanted.' However, he claims 'GW got the bargain' because they never would have finished 11-14 without him."

Not all players cited in the article were as sour as Spagnolo but the GW situation rings familiar even as the school has done better since those days when Bob Faris was the AD.  The athletic landscape they compete in has changed and grown even more. But GW is still GW. Athletics will just not be the end all, be all at the school. The problem is that coaches are held to a higher standard and fans hold a higher expectation for success than are reasonable given the financial resources provided. All kinds of solutions - chartered flights, stacked academic/athletic scholarships, lowered admissions standards, practice facilities, lower conference affiliation etc. Surely there must be a well-healed somebody out there who likes sports, isn't a moral asshole and has a soft spot for the old alma mater or that of their child or the school that housed the hospital that saved their life. Until that person pops up or the Board concerns itself enough to improve the situation beyond worrying about whether we continue to get mislabeled as the Colonels because of our nickname or mistakenly called Georgetown because they're better known, then our situation won't change. Don't have to like it. But get used to it.

Rather than direct my question at 1 person. Does anyone think they are executing their plan and that its the pandemic related disruption and LeBlanc's departure that has them wobbling?

I stand by this point. In the past GW could build a winner in Men’s Basketball. They had a puncher's chance. If I give up on those expectations I’ll give up my tickets eventually bc once I’m retired the tickets and club dues will be serious money. And that will suck.

Last edited by FredD (9/02/2022 8:27 am)

Board footera