GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/19/2022 11:20 am  #1

GW Honors Court Recipients

Congrats to Brendan Adams, Miles Gally and Bryan Knapp for earning a spot on the NABC Honors Court:

https://gwsports.com/news/2022/7/19/mens-basketball-three-colonials-named-to-nabc-honors-court.aspx

representing outstanding achievement in the classroom by collegiate men's basketball student-athletes.

Last edited by The Dude (7/19/2022 11:21 am)

7/19/2022 11:40 am  #2

Re: GW Honors Court Recipients

Academic achievement is too often overlooked when evaluating the success of coaching staffs and the athletic department staff.  Thanks for posting.

7/19/2022 6:52 pm  #3

Agreed, and congrats to these excellent student athlete scholars, no easy task given the amount of time required to the sport, as well as the classroom.

7/21/2022 4:40 pm  #4

More Academic All America honors, this time from men's golf - https://gwsports.com/news/2022/7/21/mens-golf-hrinda-and-riboud-named-all-america-scholars.aspx

7/22/2022 2:01 pm  #5

Saw that - right next to the article about the black tennis player's lawsuit against the university and team for racial discrimination and the CFO leaving under not so good conditions.

Keep Raising High.

Now back to GW Basketball. Quiet as a mouse on GW hoops news. Do we still have a team?

7/22/2022 2:40 pm  #6

Glass half full (Keith Greene), meet Glass Half Empty (Joel Joseph)!

7/22/2022 4:59 pm  #7

Well to be fair, glass is usually actually empty for GW fans.
But this was a good news post and we have a new coach and staff.

7/22/2022 5:23 pm  #8

I am probably in the minority here (but in the majority in the wider University community) in caring more about the academic acomplishments of the teams than getting my panties in a bunch if they lose a few games. Not that I don´t want to see GW win and win and win and win some more, but in the bigger picture I want GW to remain a University where academics are the most important metric. So news like this is good to the point of being uplifting. Now, if they could master their studies while hanging banners in the rafters, I would be beyond estatic.

7/23/2022 11:14 pm  #9

Well put, GW Alum Abroad

7/25/2022 12:20 am  #10

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

I am probably in the minority here (but in the majority in the wider University community) in caring more about the academic acomplishments of the teams than getting my panties in a bunch if they lose a few games. Not that I don´t want to see GW win and win and win and win some more, but in the bigger picture I want GW to remain a University where academics are the most important metric. So news like this is good to the point of being uplifting. Now, if they could master their studies while hanging banners in the rafters, I would be beyond estatic.

100%

7/25/2022 8:17 am  #11

Congrats to Brendan, Miles, and Bryan. Always happy to see us succeed, whether it's on or off the court.

I've always wondered how they determine the all-academic team when the A10 basketball awards come out. It would be nice to get back on that list. I believe we haven't made that list since 2019 (Mazzulla made it that year). In a year where I don't expect to see too many GW mentions for the postseason awards, I'm hoping that we do at least have one representative there.

9/15/2022 10:28 pm  #12

dmvpiranha wrote:

Congrats to Brendan, Miles, and Bryan. Always happy to see us succeed, whether it's on or off the court.

I've always wondered how they determine the all-academic team when the A10 basketball awards come out. It would be nice to get back on that list. I believe we haven't made that list since 2019 (Mazzulla made it that year). In a year where I don't expect to see too many GW mentions for the postseason awards, I'm hoping that we do at least have one representative there.

Exactly!

9/16/2022 7:03 am  #13

I had to go look up what NABC stood for.  Found this: https://nabc.com/nabc_releases/2022/nabc-announces-2021-22-academic-award-recipients/    NABC stands for for National Assn of Basketball Coaches.  Note that GW didn't make the list of schools that made their overall list. 

Board footera