GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/21/2022 12:33 pm  #1

Women's Soccer Fall 2022

And just like that, GW sports is back.

Women get the 1-1 draw against UMBC.

https://gwsports.com/news/2022/8/18/womens-soccer-duals-umbc-to-draw.aspx

8/21/2022 12:35 pm  #2

Re: Women's Soccer Fall 2022

Women are live right now against William & Mary:

https://gwsports.com/sidearmstats/wsoc/summary

8/21/2022 12:37 pm  #3

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Rachel Sorkenn!
Assist by Lauren Prentice!
GW 1 W&M 0

8/21/2022 4:25 pm  #4

I was impressed by the performances of defensive midfielder Caitlin Cunningham (Marquette transfer), freshman left back Avril Silva and freshman goalkeeper Grace Crowe.

I can see them running into some issues offensively but they've looked great defensively so far. Probably could have gotten a better result against UMBC (Isabelle Eskay missed a penalty with about 10 minutes left) but it's still early in the season.

The atmosphere on the Vern for both games has been great! They're back in action as part of a doubleheader with the men's team on Thursday. The men play William & Mary at 1 and the women play Towson at 4:30.

8/21/2022 8:24 pm  #5

Here comes a rant:
I realize that this is decided at the conference level and is not GW´s fault, BUT being outside of the USA (as my moniker suggests) means that I am not able to watch the ESPN+ stream of this and other sports. I have ESPN´s local streaming service but it does not offer A10 games (thanks to pirate sites, I can see the men´s hoops games and the occasional women´s basketball game, but nothing else). This same streaming service allows me to watch "professional" lacrosse and New Zealand women´s rugby live, so it is not as if it limits what it puts out there. While this is not an issue for other A-10 schools like Dayton and VCU (which limit their alumni diaspora to a few zip codes), for a school like GW with a globally distributed alumni base that the A10 does not allow and/or require ESPN to make its games available globally is a pain in the ass. (I could have watched an SEC women´s football/soccer team today, but not GW). In the "good old days", RaiseHighTV allowed one to watch games no matter the location, but not any more. It is almost as if Linda Bruno is in cahoots with ESPN to continue to spite GW and its community,
My suggestion? Let the A10 distrubute events free outside of the US if ESPN is not going to carry them-- the Pac12 already does this with the Pac12 Network available for free on YouTube outisde of the USA (at least until the conference disbands next year).

8/22/2022 7:20 am  #6

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Here comes a rant:
I realize that this is decided at the conference level and is not GW´s fault, BUT being outside of the USA (as my moniker suggests) means that I am not able to watch the ESPN+ stream of this and other sports. I have ESPN´s local streaming service but it does not offer A10 games (thanks to pirate sites, I can see the men´s hoops games and the occasional women´s basketball game, but nothing else). This same streaming service allows me to watch "professional" lacrosse and New Zealand women´s rugby live, so it is not as if it limits what it puts out there. While this is not an issue for other A-10 schools like Dayton and VCU (which limit their alumni diaspora to a few zip codes), for a school like GW with a globally distributed alumni base that the A10 does not allow and/or require ESPN to make its games available globally is a pain in the ass. (I could have watched an SEC women´s football/soccer team today, but not GW). In the "good old days", RaiseHighTV allowed one to watch games no matter the location, but not any more. It is almost as if Linda Bruno is in cahoots with ESPN to continue to spite GW and its community,
My suggestion? Let the A10 distrubute events free outside of the US if ESPN is not going to carry them-- the Pac12 already does this with the Pac12 Network available for free on YouTube outisde of the USA (at least until the conference disbands next year).

GWAA, so sorry to hear that. Having been exiled to Alabama since the early 90's, I was unable to watch GW teams except on the rare occasion they appeared on some nationally televised outlet-- until ESPN+. For me, ESPN+ has been a fantastic alternative to expensive cable sports options (I don't even subscribe to the main ESPN) and gives me access to so many great GW sports events besides basketball, like softball, baseball, soccer, and volleyball. (Yes, killing time in Alabama would be even more difficult without it). I really hope something can be worked out for you out of country exiles.

Last edited by xAC (8/22/2022 7:53 am)

8/22/2022 8:10 pm  #7

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Here comes a rant:

What about using a VPN

8/23/2022 2:01 pm  #8

8/25/2022 2:57 pm  #9

8/25/2022 4:17 pm  #10

Still tied up at 0
close to the end of the 1st half
over on ESPN Plus:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/66411dcf-4c51-45b7-bda9-7e99782f03f6

8/25/2022 8:16 pm  #11

Women get the 0-0 draw.

https://gwsports.com/news/2022/8/25/womens-soccer-plays-towson-to-draw.aspx

"For the second-straight game, GW's defensive backline was sparkling. The Buff & Blue kept CAA Preseason Player of the Year Nia Christopher scoreless throughout the game, while holding Towson to just three shots on goal. GW has allowed just one goal through its first three games, which is the fewest allowed in the first three contests since 2018."

Road game against American next Wednesday.  #RaiseHigh

9/03/2022 11:51 pm  #12

Women got the 0-0 draw against American on Wednesday.

https://gwsports.com/news/2022/8/31/womens-soccer-draws-at-american.aspx

9/03/2022 11:52 pm  #13

9/11/2022 2:58 pm  #14

And so just to recap that game last week 
that was a....

GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!

by Rachel Sorkenn 
(assist by Lauren Prentice)

GGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

by Rachel Sorkenn 
(assist by Avril Silva)

GGGOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!

by Margaret Rabbitt 

GOGOGO*GOGOGOGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

by Aoi Kataoka 
(assist by Kelly Poole)

and a... 

G*OOOOOOOOOO****OOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!

by Sammy Neyman 

9/11/2022 3:00 pm  #15

9/14/2022 10:56 pm  #16

Women's soccer starts conference play tomorrow against George Mason (3 PM on the Vern, ESPN+ if you can't make it out). Here's a bit of a preview, going into some depth on what the team's strengths have been this year (spoiler alert: it's defense) and who will contribute. I'm very positive heading into conference play, although they've played a weaker conference schedule this season than they did last year.

https://wrgwsports.wordpress.com/2022/09/14/womens-soccer-looks-to-continue-hot-start-in-a-10-play/

9/15/2022 2:57 pm  #17

All tied up at the end of the first half. GW 0 Mason 0

9/15/2022 3:12 pm  #18

GGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by
Margaret ​Rabbitt!!!!!!!!
(Assist by Sammy Neyman!!!)

GW 1 Mason 0

9/16/2022 11:11 am  #19

Women get the 1-1 draw against Mason.

https://gwsports.com/news/2022/9/15/womens-soccer-draws-george-mason.aspx

"NOTEWORTHY:
•GW's seven-game unbeaten streak is its longest since the team went 16 straight games without a loss in 2019." 

At Fordham on Sunday, 1:00 PM.

9/18/2022 12:10 pm  #20

Women are live right now at Fordham on ESPN+.

(Looks like they are playing on the Fordham football field.)

Board footera