GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2022 9:52 pm  #181

3/22/2022 7:33 am  #182

Re: Yuta Update

Raptors on a bit of a roll, but very little PT for Yuta. It does seem like when he gets in, he does make the highlight reels.

This was last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trKfxFJEmbM

And this was a couple of weeks ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nadv3NeZ99k

3/22/2022 12:59 pm  #183

Unfortunately, after injury and Covid, the contract year is not turning out as well as it should for
Yuta. He clearly has the ability, right attitude and basketball smarts when given the chance.

5/31/2022 2:21 pm  #184

7/12/2022 6:11 pm  #185

Yuta and Japan start their Asia Cup 2022 play in the wee hours (US time) tomorrow/Wednesday against Kazakhstan in Indonesia. There apparently is a paid streaming option, although sometimes out-of-region viewers can watch for free on YouTube. In any case, I think this game tips off at 6:30am Eastern. Other group opponents are Iran and Syria. Australia is the obvious favourite. I do not believe this qualifies for the World Cup, but with all the COVID scheduling changes it might be doubling as that, too.
https://www.fiba.basketball/asiacup/2022/team/Japan

7/13/2022 5:28 am  #186

I think I read somewhere that as a co-host to the 2023 World Cup, Japan has already qualified. Asia Cup is still something important for Japan to play for.

The first game cam be caught on ESPN+.

7/13/2022 7:37 am  #187

Yuta and the Japanese national team beat Kazakhstan 100-68.

Yuta's final line:
Time played - 29:26
Points - 21 (8/15 FG and 1/2 from 3)
Rebounds - 8 (4 offensive)
Assists - 4
Steals - 1
Blocks - 3

7/16/2022 11:20 pm  #188

Yuta played sparingly in the 117-56 drubbing of Syria in game 2 (8 points, 6 boards in a game the bench got the bulk of the playing time).
Japan can wrap up first in the group with a win against Iran on Sunday (another pre-dawn start time in the US). Iran is also 2-0 so far. Now, if without looking it up you can name more than three Japanese players and just one Iranian player you will have proven that you pay too much attention to this and really need to get outside more...

7/20/2022 2:34 pm  #189

The news I was fearing about Yuta happened, but apparently mildly. Yuta sprained his ankle in a game against Philippines that he was dominating big time, after being pushed hard.
 It was reported that it is his second ankle sprain in the past month. (Think, if it is the same ankle, this is the same thing started against St Louis or someone in a meaningless end of a very losing game in the A-10 tournament).
  Apparently not sure if he is going to play in the next game.
But more worried about the fact that he is a free agent--and these games could sideline his NBA career or
his opportunities to be picked up elsewhere. Believe that Pops' pro career was pretty much over after being  injured in the London Olympics, including one million dollar or multi-million contract where he failed the physical. Wonder if Yuta should be playing in these games at all?

8/28/2022 4:28 pm  #190

Shams Charania

@ShamsCharania
·
11m
The Nets say team has signed free agent Yuta Watanabe. The Japanese forward has played four seasons for Toronto and Memphis.

8/28/2022 4:45 pm  #191

Just saw that online. Great job Florida Colonial in getting the news out here.
Congratulations to Yuta!
Recalled that he had a really good summer league 4 years ago for Brooklyn, so they
were familiar with him before he signed with Memphis and Toronto, both of which are senseless
franchises. And now reports mention his summer connection. But of course, it's about what he has done and most important, can do. Yuta also had a big dunk against the Nets this year. 
Hope it is a fully guaranteed contract most of all, for good money.

Last edited by jf (8/28/2022 4:47 pm)

8/28/2022 7:21 pm  #192

jf wrote:

Hope it is a fully guaranteed contract most of all, for good money.

Yuta Watanabe 渡邊 雄太[/url][url=https://twitter.com/wacchi1013]@wacchi1013  お祝いコメントたくさんありがたいですが、あくまでまだ無保証のキャンプ契約です 🙏

崖っぷち精神でまた頑張ります💪

Translated from Japanese by
Thank you for all the congratulatory comments, but it's still a non-guaranteed camping contract  🙏

I'll do my best again with a precipice spirit 💪

Last edited by GW0509 (8/28/2022 7:22 pm)

8/28/2022 10:05 pm  #193

Very cool!

Great news for Yuta, great news for GW Nets fans

8/29/2022 7:48 pm  #194

As a fan of GW and the Nets, both teams have been a little hard to stomach lately.  Glad to have something (someone) to root for

8/30/2022 7:39 am  #195

always rooting for Yuta!

8/30/2022 10:10 am  #196

I think one of the reasons Yuta chose the Nets is because Jacque Vaughn is the lead Assistant Coach. JV was the coach of the Nets' summer league team a few years back, where Yuta excelled. Vaughn always had nice words for Yuta, so, hopefully Yuta gets more than a passing glance form the Nets.

10/04/2022 1:54 am  #197

Yuta played for The Nets last night and looked good in his minutes.

Very cool to see him on a court with Durant and Kyrie.

Always great to see a GW player in the NBA, Mike Hall, Pops, TC, Pato, all had short stints in the NBA, parts of a season or 2.

Yuta looks like he's carving out a longer NBA career, the longest since Yinka??  (who played 4 seasons, coincidentally also with the Nets)   I think only Mike Brown played more NBA games out of GW.

The Nets with Kyrie Durant Simmons and a loaded supporting cast are a  legit NBA title contender, has any GW player ever got an NBA ring??

10/04/2022 6:54 am  #198

Don’t do it!

10/04/2022 9:53 am  #199

According to basketball-reference.com, Yinka played 110 games, Pops 61 and Yuta 121 (and counting).  Other notables are Cavs at 50 and Brownie the king at 626.

Here is the whole GW mens and women's list.

Last edited by BM (10/04/2022 9:54 am)

10/04/2022 2:49 pm  #200

BM wrote:

According to basketball-reference.com, Yinka played 110 games, Pops 61 and Yuta 121 (and counting).  Other notables are Cavs at 50 and Brownie the king at 626.

Here is the whole GW mens and women's list.

Wow, so Yuta has already surpassed Yinka in games played.

Long way to go to catch The King!   hopefully he becomes (I think this is correct?) the first GW alum to win an NBA title!

Board footera