GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/15/2022 6:14 pm  #141

Re: James Bishop IV

GWRising wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Worst GW basketball experience after a win:  GW at Duquesne.  Am laying 2 1/2 with the Colonials.  Tie game, final possession.  SirVal hits a long 2 to win it for GW.  Just really had no idea how to feel.  Betting will do that to you sometimes.

Rule no 1. Never bet on teams you are invested in. Three reasons  none of them good. First, it hurts twice when you lose the game and the bet. Second, you make bad bets because of bias. Third, you can have split decisions as you mentioned.

I'd say you're a little late Rising.  Only by about a few decades. 

2/15/2022 6:17 pm  #142

Scoring is one thing, but who was the last GW player to have a double-double for the entire season?

If you guessed Yinka Dare, you would have been right. He did it during both of his years at GW (1991-1993).

Before that, Mike Brown achieved it three times from 1982-1985. 

Between 1972 and 1975, Clyde Burwell, who I feel is underappreciated as a Colonial also achieved the feat three times. He would surely be GW's all time shot blocking leader had they get that stat back in the day. 

And finally, between 1969-1971 (I'm only going back to 1969 when I was in my freshman year), Walt Szcerbiak did it twice. In his senior year, he averaged 22.8 ppg and 13.0 rpg on 59% field goal percentage. The 13.0 rpg is the highest average for rebounds since 1969 and outside of these players, no one else during that time ever achieved double figures in rebounding.

Quite a feat by these GW greats.

Last edited by xAC (2/15/2022 6:18 pm)

2/15/2022 6:46 pm  #143

jf wrote:

More relevant, how did the team do when SirVal was gunning away?

Val´s frosh year GW went 15-15 (9-7) in the A10. The next season the program imploded, culminating in The Penders Crap nightmare.

2/16/2022 1:10 am  #144

xAC wrote:

Scoring is one thing, but who was the last GW player to have a double-double for the entire season?

If you guessed Yinka Dare, you would have been right. He did it during both of his years at GW (1991-1993).

Before that, Mike Brown achieved it three times from 1982-1985. 

Between 1972 and 1975, Clyde Burwell, who I feel is underappreciated as a Colonial also achieved the feat three times. He would surely be GW's all time shot blocking leader had they get that stat back in the day. 

Quite a feat by these GW greats.

And finally, between 1969-1971 (I'm only going back to 1969 when I was in my freshman year), Walt Szcerbiak did it twice. In his senior year, he averaged 22.8 ppg and 13.0 rpg on 59% field goal percentage. The 13.0 rpg is the highest average for rebounds since 1969 and outside of these players, no one else during that time ever achieved double figures in rebounding.

Wow, what a monster season from Wally's Dad

Last edited by The Dude (2/16/2022 1:13 am)

2/16/2022 1:33 am  #145

It’s extremely hard to average double digit rebounds in this era of college basketball.  Right now, only 14 players in the country are averaging 10 or more rebounds per game, which means fewer than 4% of D1 colleges have a guy hitting that mark.

2/16/2022 10:29 am  #146

Probably worthy of its own thread, but I can't think of two Colonials who deserved to play on better teams than Mike Brown and Chris Monroe.  I'd throw in Tony Taylor as a third but I don't want to incite any hating on him.

2/16/2022 1:45 pm  #147

...and James Bishop

Hopefully next season that's the case

3/02/2022 11:16 pm  #148

With 30 Points and 23 points respectively tonight, and 1 game left I think JoeBam and Bishop locked up spots on All A10 teams. Bishop has likely locked up #2 in A10 in scoring, and JoeBam should vault into the top 5 after tonight.

2nd and 3rd team??  3rd and 3rd team??

1 game left, who is your A10 POY??  Oduro??

Last edited by The Dude (3/02/2022 11:17 pm)

3/03/2022 7:47 am  #149

Bamasile is currently sitting in 7th in ppg in the league. Another 20+ performance against Fordham and he'll have a good chance to get into top 5. 

Oduro is a good guess for A10 POY. Though I don't think he'll win I'd like to see Fordham's Chuba Ohams get some accolades. Leads the league in rebounding, 13th in ppg (will likely go up when he plays against our bigs), and 7th in blocks.

3/03/2022 5:07 pm  #150

MG14 wrote:

Bamasile is currently sitting in 7th in ppg in the league. Another 20+ performance against Fordham and he'll have a good chance to get into top 5. 

Oduro is a good guess for A10 POY. Though I don't think he'll win I'd like to see Fordham's Chuba Ohams get some accolades. Leads the league in rebounding, 13th in ppg (will likely go up when he plays against our bigs), and 7th in blocks.

If Oduro wins and I think he will, he will be pretty rare as usually it is a top 4 team POY, but I don't see a guy with a better case than Oduro this year, and only honoring guys from the very top teams is less in vogue than it used to be in sports.  This is also Playe of the Year not "MVP" FWIW.    But it still helps to be on a team with a better record.

Battle made the All League last year, this year with GW now .500 in league play I'd imagine both JoeBam and Bishop find a spot this year.  One more big game for each should do it

Last edited by The Dude (3/03/2022 5:13 pm)

3/08/2022 3:07 pm  #151

9/26/2022 12:54 pm  #152

... and will Caputo be able to make a difference this season?
Caputo has talked about getting all five players involved in the offense.
astats.wordpress.com points out that might be easier said than done.

Read below... 

(And there's more on GW at stats.wordpress.com) 
James Bishop is going to get these shots up, baby! Bishop will be the only high usage George Washington player returning to the roster this season, with Joe Bamisile and Brayon Freeman transferring out of the program. Last season Bishop had a 26.7% usage rate, second highest only behind Bamisile, and took the most shots for GW with the next closest teammate taking 32 less shots than Bishop.You have to admire Bishop not being put off from taking another shot after a miss, shooting 42.5% of his shots from three-point range but only making 31.7% of those attempts. He also took 36.2% of his shots from the mid-range and only hit an inefficient 36% of those shots. He’s not exactly spurning high efficiency chances at the rim either, converting a below average 56.9% of shots at the basket. ....  There are some pieces at GW that could play the way Caputo wants, but he will need to perhaps pry the ball from Bishop’s hands, get players like Lindo more involved, and adjust Clark’s shot selection profile to do it.

9/26/2022 1:52 pm  #153

Here's the whole thing from Previewing the Atlantic 10: What We Know and What We Don’t Know | A10 Stats (wordpress.com)

What we know about George Washington:
Coaching changes can bring widespread change to a program like George Washington, with transfers coming in and out and new systems implemented that make it hard to try and prognosticate how a team under a first-time coach like Chris Caputo will play. Thankfully for our purposes here, there is one sure constant for GW this season no matter what changes Caputo makes at Foggy Bottom. James Bishop is going to get these shots up, baby! Bishop will be the only high usage George Washington player returning to the roster this season, with Joe Bamisile and Brayon Freeman transferring out of the program. Last season Bishop had a 26.7% usage rate, second highest only behind Bamisile, and took the most shots for GW with the next closest teammate taking 32 less shots than Bishop.

You have to admire Bishop not being put off from taking another shot after a miss, shooting 42.5% of his shots from three-point range but only making 31.7% of those attempts. He also took 36.2% of his shots from the mid-range and only hit an inefficient 36% of those shots. He’s not exactly spurning high efficiency chances at the rim either, converting a below average 56.9% of shots at the basket. While Bamisile and Freeman have left GW, Bishop will be surrounded by mostly familiar faces with George Washington. Coming into the season, GW have the second highest percentage of minutes returning from last season. Ricky Lindo Jr. is a decent Stretch 4 option, hitting 37.7% of his threes last season but struggled to make an impact scoring at the rim. Brendan Adams and Hunter Dean were able to score the ball relatively efficiently at the rim in their limited chances last season but weren’t relied upon heavily in GW’s offense. The scenario certainly seems like it is ripe for another season of James Bishop calling his own number this season.

What we don’t know about George Washington: 
Chris Caputo discussed playing with five interchangeable players who can all pass, dribble, and shoot from distance when being introduced as the new coach at George Washington. While there is plenty of continuity on the GW roster, the players who probably most fit that description left town for the transfer portal this off-season. Will Caputo try to greatly alter the system most of these players had under former coach Jamion Christian? Though it may be a tough task and may resemble trying to fit square pegs in round holes, it might be worth a try after looking at George Washington’s offensive stats last season.

Last season GW did take 35.9% of their shots from three-point range but only hit a right-on-the-average 33.7% of those shots, though those numbers may have been skewed by a previously mentioned GW guard. Getting Ricky Lindo Jr. more of the share of three-point attempts could help improve that three-point percentage and the 248th nationally ranked 97.02 points per 100 possessions George Washington put up last season. Alabama State transfer E.J. Clark hit an impressive 43.4% of his threes last season, though he also took more mid-range shots than he did threes. There are some pieces at GW that could play the way Caputo wants, but he will need to perhaps pry the ball from Bishop’s hands, get players like Lindo more involved, and adjust Clark’s shot selection profile to do it.

9/26/2022 4:03 pm  #154

Hard to disagree.
It should be better for whatever pro future James wants to pursue, to be more selective in his shots, pass
the ball more, and play off the ball, which in a better system, might help with better percentage shots.
    James played more maturely last year, along with the things he does well, including when he is on, scoring in bunches and drawing fouls.
  Interesting stats on EJ, if he can get those shots at this level.
Ricky of course is valuable down low, extraordinarily so last year.
Wasn't there a really interesting stat about Qanzi shooting over 50 percent from 3 in one stretch 
last year?

Last edited by jf (9/26/2022 4:04 pm)

9/27/2022 2:39 pm  #155

Two seasons ago, I feel James had a difficult time trusting his teammates.  That's a big part of why there were so many ill-advised shots and other acts of "hero-ball."  JB simply thought that he was the best option when the team needed points.  He happened to often be right.

Last year, JoeB and Brayon arrived while Ricky played a full season for the most part.  There were suddenly some viable options.  Plus, Brayon was a natural point guard so much of the decision-making was taken out of JB's hands.

This year, JB will need to figure out: a) does he have enough trust in Max, Brendan, Ricky and hopefully others that he will not feel compelled to take bad shots, and b) will he be playing the point most of the time he is on the court, thereby reclaiming much of the decision-making?

10/13/2022 12:43 pm  #156

Quite the GW career he's putting together:

"GW men's basketball senior guard James Bishop IV was named to the Preseason A-10 All-Conference Second Team, the league announced on Thursday. It marks the second-straight year in which Bishop has earned the accolade.

Bishop has showcased his prolific scoring touch in two years donning the Buff & Blue, earning a Third Team All-Conference honor following the 2021-22 season and finishing second in the league in scoring in each of his two campaigns.

The southpaw sensation paced GW with 16.7 ppg last season and became the first Colonial since Yuta Watanabe in 2017-18 to score 500 points in a single season (502). He crossed the 20-point threshold 10 times, including a career-high 30 points at Saint Louis.

In two years in Foggy Bottom, the Baltimore native has scored 827 points for an average of 17.6 ppg, the eighth-best in program history and highest since all-time leading scorer Chris Monroe put up 19.1 ppg from 1999-2003. The Baltimore native is second among A-10 returners in career points behind only Richmond's Tyler Burton (1,007)."

11/08/2022 3:52 pm  #157

James Bishop's decision to return to GW, turning down a lot of Power 5 offers is going to make this transition a lot more fun to watch than what it would have been without him

He was a lot of fun to watch last night-

Freeman and JoeBam bolted, as is their right, but kudos to James Bishop staying with GW and to Caputo and staff for retaining Bishop and most of the rest of the squad.

Last edited by The Dude (2/08/2023 11:54 pm)

11/08/2022 4:06 pm  #158

Dude, what Power 5 offers did he have? He never went in the portal to my knowledge. So he couldn't have had any Power 5 offers. The decision for James was whether to go overseas and try to make money. That will likely be his choice again this Spring.

But I do agree he stuck it out which is admirable.

11/08/2022 4:11 pm  #159

GWRising wrote:

Dude, what Power 5 offers did he have? He never went in the portal to my knowledge. So he couldn't have had any Power 5 offers. The decision for James was whether to go overseas and try to make money. That will likely be his choice again this Spring.

To be fair to the Dude, Patsos said on the broadcast that JB was fielding multiple P5 offers but decided to stay at GW.  Jimmy could've been confusing JB with Lindo too.

11/08/2022 4:14 pm  #160

GW0509 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

To be fair to the Dude, Patsos said on the broadcast that JB was fielding multiple P5 offers but decided to stay at GW.  Jimmy could've been confusing JB with Lindo too.

You can't offer someone unless they go in the portal. Jimmy knows that lol. You will come to learn that Jimmy knows a lot. Unfortunately some of it doesn't square with reality lol.

Board footera