GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2022 11:27 am  #21

Re: Possible good news today?

ok Good News #1 = Trey Autry
Good News #2 to follow soon

10/17/2022 11:32 am  #22

Welcome Trey Autry.  Can’t wait to see you lead this team back to the dance!

10/17/2022 4:17 pm  #23

Welcome.  Interesting to note that Tyler Cavanaugh sent his congratulations via twitter.  While he has no experience with current staff he may have provided advice on how much he enjoyed his 3 years as a student.  Connections through the AAU team City Rocks?

10/17/2022 4:35 pm  #24

Same high school

PKGW wrote:

Welcome.  Interesting to note that Tyler Cavanaugh sent his congratulations via twitter.  While he has no experience with current staff he may have provided advice on how much he enjoyed his 3 years as a student.  Connections through the AAU team City Rocks?

10/18/2022 9:38 am  #25

Free Quebec wrote:

Welcome Trey Autry.  Can’t wait to see you lead this team back to the dance!

This is great great news! Is he immediately eligible? ;-)

10/20/2022 9:09 am  #26

Any updates on the 2nd bit of good news?

10/20/2022 10:42 am  #27

This week is the hope now. These things are a bit unpredictable as to timing. I am still told to believe it is going to happen.

10/20/2022 11:33 am  #28

GWRising wrote:

This week is the hope now. These things are a bit unpredictable as to timing. I am still told to believe it is going to happen.

Thank you for the update!

10/23/2022 11:54 am  #29

Christian Jones posted a video of him making a commitment video. says "commitment video coming soon".  This could be it

10/25/2022 6:33 pm  #30

Manhattan fired their coach Steve Masiello two weeks before the season starts (no explanation but rumors it was a fractured relationship with the AD.  Sounds familiar). 

At any rate, MAAC preseason POY Jose Perez is transferring.  I assume he’d have to wait for second semester to play wherever he goes, but he has two years - or a year and a half 1 left to play.  He could walk into playing time if he came here.  He’s played at Gardner-Webb and Marquette before so he may not be looking for another BCS slot.

10/25/2022 7:57 pm  #31

Free Quebec wrote:

Manhattan fired their coach Steve Masiello two weeks before the season starts (no explanation but rumors it was a fractured relationship with the AD. Sounds familiar).

At any rate, MAAC preseason POY Jose Perez is transferring. I assume he’d have to wait for second semester to play wherever he goes, but he has two years - or a year and a half 1 left to play. He could walk into playing time if he came here. He’s played at Gardner-Webb and Marquette before so he may not be looking for another BCS slot.

Supposedly a bunch of high-majors have already reached out. Seems out of reach for GW

10/26/2022 8:26 am  #32

Free Quebec wrote:

Manhattan fired their coach Steve Masiello two weeks before the season starts (no explanation but rumors it was a fractured relationship with the AD. Sounds familiar).

At any rate, MAAC preseason POY Jose Perez is transferring. I assume he’d have to wait for second semester to play wherever he goes, but he has two years - or a year and a half 1 left to play. He could walk into playing time if he came here. He’s played at Gardner-Webb and Marquette before so he may not be looking for another BCS slot.

Masiello took two Jasper teams to the dance, nearly knocking his mentor Rick Pitino out of the tournament one year, and has gone 83-124 ever since, finishing below .500 six consecutive seasons followed by a .500 season last year.  With one year remaining on his contract, Masiello wanted an extension now while the AD, in the best case scenario for Masiello, wanted to see how things went this season.  Can't imagine any rift to be anywhere near as lethal as what GW's program experienced, but a personality clash is not out of the question.

No matter your view, this is incredibly unfair to these players to make this change so close to the start of a season.

10/26/2022 10:58 am  #33

Hang in there for the next week. Good news should be arriving in the form of two commits. I think you will be impressed with both. Stay patient. Sometimes these things take longer than initially expected.

10/26/2022 11:54 am  #34

GWRising wrote:

Hang in there for the next week. Good news should be arriving in the form of two commits. I think you will be impressed with both. Stay patient. Sometimes these things take longer than initially expected.

Makes sense.  Bronny James is coming to town this weekend, he probably just wanted to wait to commit in person 😉

10/26/2022 12:40 pm  #35

Good find. He'd be familiar with playing for GW, too. Perfect.
On the Christian Jones commitment video, look forward to him making the right choice, which also has
the same two letters as above.

10/26/2022 2:13 pm  #36

Masiello's situation nothing like GW's fiasco.

Why would an AD extend a coach with 7 consecutive seasons under .500 and with 1 year remaining on his contract? The buyout will be minimal (6 months since the typical college BBall contract runs April to April).

GW's situation on the other hand - firing coach with no cause after the most successful season in it's 100 year history and having to pay him the remaining 3 1/2 years left on his contract.

More info will come out in the near future but I'm hearing Masiello believed he was the Pitino 2.0 version of coaching without the success to back it up with. Also, the interim may turn out to be the next Holloway at Seton Hall. If he can keep the exodus from happening, he may have some success and get the job permanently.

10/26/2022 3:09 pm  #37

jf wrote:

Good find. He'd be familiar with playing for GW, too. Perfect.
On the Christian Jones commitment video, look forward to him making the right choice, which also has
the same two letters as above.

Because of the juxtaposition of comments that came in afterward, this refers to Perez, not Bronny James.
    Though James is most welcome to commit this weekend and presumably, his family could even afford for him to walk on.
     We do have plenty of scholarships and playing time available, though.

10/27/2022 8:07 pm  #38

According to his Instagram Christian Jones will announce his commitment tomorrow at 5pm

10/28/2022 10:48 am  #39

I think you will all be smiling at 5:05 but what do I know?

10/28/2022 2:02 pm  #40

Anyone know what the Cal or Charlotte blogs are saying about Jones? Can't find anything on the websites I've found. 

Board footera