GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/01/2020 9:25 am  #21

Re: Today's Trivia

Was #35 Lonny Baxter?

7/01/2020 9:27 am  #22

I am going to take a wild guess ... Kevin Grevey???

7/01/2020 9:46 am  #23

GWRising gets it.  Grevey being a key member of Washington's last NBA Championship team had to give him the edge.  Baxter received honorable mention as did Al Jensen, Martin Mayhew, and of course, Jonquel

Thanks to all who participated..

7/01/2020 10:35 am  #24

Gwmayhem, I enjoyed your trivia question. I didn't know any of the answers, but find it very cool how there are some people here who obviously know a lot of DC sports.  Congrats to all, and thank you for the fun education!

7/01/2020 11:22 am  #25

My pleasure 22andF.  Faced with the possibility of a 20 month off-season, we are going to need to come up with some different things to pass the time.  On a sad note, I suppose the Kenner League will not be beginning play this weekend (though I have not seen any official announcement, which is very Kenner-like).

7/02/2020 9:42 am  #26

22ndandF wrote:

Gwmayhem, I enjoyed your trivia question. I didn't know any of the answers, but find it very cool how there are some people here who obviously know a lot of DC sports.  Congrats to all, and thank you for the fun education!

Agreed. That was fun. 

8/20/2021 2:10 pm  #27

Remember, anyone can look up trivia answers.  You're on the honor system:

Last year, there were 5 D1 head coaches who have coached at least 15 seasons in D1 and have never had a losing season.

Hint 1:  As of right now, one of them is currently not a head coach.
Hint 2:  Am not including "vacated" wins
Hint 3:  One of the answers is Mark Few. (Let's just get that out of the way.)

Four more to go.  Good luck.

8/20/2021 2:58 pm  #28

Yes, I bet Dude would have known it too.

Roy did it every year but one, the season before last (2019-20).

Bill Self was under .500 his first 2 seasons at Oral Roberts but hasn't been below .500 since.

0-2 but good guesses.

8/20/2021 3:27 pm  #29

IDK the others, but this thread has more promise than using some Bonnies news for the latest contrived thread of the moment

8/20/2021 3:29 pm  #30

Donovan has been coaching in the NBA for several years.

8/20/2021 3:35 pm  #31

I know Mike Jarvis never had a losing season at GW so I'll say MJ without doing the math on whether he was in 15 years or not when you add up BU-GW-SJU

8/20/2021 3:40 pm  #32

MJ only had one winning season at Florida Atlantic, plus he had a losing season at St. John's (not including when he was dismissed after a 2-4 start).  And just as importantly, all of the answers had to have coached a D1 program last season so that too rules Mike out.

You are correct though that MJ never had a losing season at BU or at GW.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (8/20/2021 3:40 pm)

8/20/2021 3:47 pm  #33

Let's throw out three hints.

One answer once coached in the A10.

And, I didn't mention "vacated wins" as a decoy to throw you off the trail.  One answer has had to vacate wins so technically, he has had a losing season(s) only because of this.

A third answer is known to at least one person as an important mentor.

The fourth answer....That's the really tough one.

8/20/2021 3:57 pm  #34

JAMES ARTHUR BOEHEIM

8/20/2021 4:01 pm  #35

Also, the important Mentor has to be Tom Izzo.
My guess is the A10 coach is Sean Miller.

8/20/2021 4:07 pm  #36

Porter71 lights it up.  Boeheim and his vacated wins.  Izzo the mentor (probably too easy a hint).  Sean Miller is not coaching anywhere right now.  All correct.

The final one is tough.  Alphabetically by conference, he either is coaching or has coached in the Big East, the Big 12, Conference USA and the Southeastern Conference.

8/20/2021 5:01 pm  #37

Mike anderson - st johns 

Last edited by GW18 (8/20/2021 5:01 pm)

8/21/2021 1:02 pm  #38

Gwmayhem, thank you for posting this. I think porter has one of them with Boeheim.  I think Izzo is another and I believe porter got that one also with your clue. That's 2 of the remaining 4 I believe.  If GW18 is right about Anderson, that's 3 of 4.  For the record, I think GW18 is right as I know Anderson is a good coach although he never really coached any great teams, in my opinion.

8/22/2021 8:33 am  #39

Nice job GW18.  You didn't even need the hint "coached a former GW player last season."

So the five are:  Boeheim, Izzo, S. Miller, Few and Anderson.

22ndandF, one of Anderson's Mizzou teams won 31 games and finished the season ranked #9 in the country.  This was by far his best team.  He took UAB, Missouri and Arkansas to 3 NCAA tournaments apiece but his teams just have not been good enough to crack the final 4. 

10/28/2022 10:50 am  #40

Remember, anyone can look up an answer to a trivia question, so I'm putting everyone on the honor system not to do this.  Here's today's question:

Entering the 2022-23, Gonzaga has the longest consecutive year streak of regular season conference championships (first place in the conference regular season), having won the WCC regular season title 10 straight years.  What school has the next longest streak of first place finishes in its conference?

Board footera