GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/28/2022 4:03 pm  #21

Re: Recruit: Christian Jones (CT), Guard, 2023 - Committed to GW!!

Changed to 6:30pm

10/28/2022 5:34 pm  #22

10/28/2022 5:37 pm  #23

Official commit video on his instagram

10/28/2022 6:38 pm  #24

Looks like a tremendous pair of first 2 HS recruits for CC and Staff:

Christian Jones has committed to George Washington University and first year head coach Chris Caputo.The three-star guard visited California, Charlotte, and George Washington before making his final decision.“They told me I was going to have a chance to make an impact from the start and that they wanted me to come out and be a leader.

“It was like a brotherhood over there and I wanted to be a part of it.”Jones decision comes less than two weeks after GW landed another guard with high-major offers, Western Reserve Academy and City Rocks’ Trey Autry, as Caputo and his staff have prioritized rebuilding their backcourt with their first full recruiting class.Jones is also following in the footsteps of his former teammate, Maximus Edwards, who is now in his first season with the Colonials after transferring in from Kansas State last spring.“I played with Max.

We come from the same town in Connecticut, so that made it easier,” Jones said. “Knowing there is a guy there that I’m comfortable with and seeing what the coaching staff was doing with him. They were honest with Max and so I knew they would be honest with me too.”Jones is a long and athletic six-foot-four southpaw who can play and defend multiple positions.

He pushed those averages to 11 points per while shooting 51% from the floor and 35% from the three-point line during the EYBL Finals at the Peach Jam.While he was best known for his physical tools earlier in his career, Jones has been able to steadily develop his skill-set over the last two years.

He’s an improved passer who can play pick-and-roll and get downhill in the open floor. He’s developed into a reliable pull-up shooter and capable three-point threat. Defensively, his positional size, length, athleticism, and competitiveness are all assets.A backcourt of Jones and Autry promises to be one of the best young tandems in the Atlantic 10 Conference next year 

Last edited by The Dude (10/28/2022 7:01 pm)

10/28/2022 9:19 pm  #25

OCTOBER 28, 2022
George Washington lands three-star Our Savior guard Christian Jones

Share ZagsblogShare Zagsblog
By ZACH SMART
After narrowing his choices down to three schools, Our Savior Lutheran Class of 2023 guard Christian Jones has committed to George Washington.
The opportunity for an immediate impact and Jones’ relationship with first year GW head coach Chris Caputo, a New York City native who played at Archbishop Molloy, factored into Jones’ decision.
The three-star prospect wound up choosing the Atlantic 10 program over Cal and Charlotte, as he had whittled his list down to those three. Jones had high major offers from a number of programs, including Seton Hall.
As a deft left-handed shot maker, the 6-foot-5 Jones brings a wealth of experience on some of the biggest stages.
Jones has been a poised scorer throughout his career at the Bronx-based national power, playing off the ball alongside Jaquan Sanders (Seton Hall) the last two years.
As a crafty, smooth finisher who is able to glide to the rim, Jones is a veteran presence on an OSL team that’s added Bed-Stuy native Ty-Laur Johnson (deciding between North Carolina State, Memphis and others) and 7-foot UConn commit Youssouf Singare.
Jones’ ability to not only spread the floor out with his shooting but also constantly win throughout his career is what makes him a unique recruit. During his time at OSL and also on the AAU circuit with New Heights, Jones has won and won often.
“Christian is the ultimate leader and one of the most coachable kids,” said Malcolm Pope, an assistant coach at OSL under Pete Wehye.
“The coaches know he shoots the ball well and takes care of the ball, but they are starting to appreciate the fact that he’s a winner. He’s always won to get to the biggest stage to be able to get noticed.”
The backcourt is an area of need moving forward for GWU. Jones joins upstate New York native Trey Autry, a 6-foot-3 guard at Western Reserve Academy (Oh.) in building up the Colonials future backcourt.
A slick passer who has added to his all around offensive repertoire with a mid range pull up and a downhill game, Jones is the second OSL player to commit in as many months.
Singare recently committed to UConn. Beyond Johnson, the OSL program has another highly touted prospect in 6-foot-6 bulldozer built wing Jahmere Tripp.
An explosive finisher with guard skills and an ability to step out and knock down the 3-pointer, Tripp is a multi-layered Class of 2023 prospect.
Tripp holds offers from Hofstra, Rhode Island, Missouri State, Towson and others.
OSL also had another guard commit recently, as 6-foot-4 senior Armoni Zeigler committed to St. Peter’s.
An electrifying open court finisher, Zeigler is an outside shooter with a knack for hitting tough, tightly contested shots.

10/28/2022 9:47 pm  #26

6'5 - is he really that tall?  Elsewhere he's listed as 6'2.

10/28/2022 11:48 pm  #27

He's got excellent length.

Looks like a Heckuva pair of first HS recruits huh?

10/29/2022 8:27 am  #28

Hello everyone… I am back from my self-imposed exile. I’m glad to see there’s some good news on the recruiting front and while I’m still worried about this year, I feel that at least initially it seems to validate the hiring of CC as someone who can compete for talent.

Not really understanding how cc’s style of coaching and on court philosophy will manifest, but I sense good things are on the horizon.

10/29/2022 8:53 am  #29

On the other hand, Barry, I was confident in JC and was sure I understood how his coaching would manifest in playing style, which never happened. So let’s go 180 degrees the other way, while I remain optimistic!

10/29/2022 11:03 am  #30

As someone pointed out in a different thread, we will have lots of scholarships to fill.  We are losing Harris, Lindo, Adams, Bishop and Samuels (am I missing anybody) plus we have one banked so there will be 6 scholarships available, not to mention whomever defects after the season.   We have now used 2 of those scholarships, with a rumored third on the way.  I am curious as to the teams strategy on the remaining scholarships, specifically how many they plan to use on high school seniors and how many that they will hold onto to go shopping in the portal after the season. 

10/29/2022 4:40 pm  #31

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

As someone pointed out in a different thread, we will have lots of scholarships to fill.  We are losing Harris, Lindo, Adams, Bishop and Samuels (am I missing anybody) plus we have one banked so there will be 6 scholarships available, not to mention whomever defects after the season.   We have now used 2 of those scholarships, with a rumored third on the way.  I am curious as to the teams strategy on the remaining scholarships, specifically how many they plan to use on high school seniors and how many that they will hold onto to go shopping in the portal after the season. 

Bishop can return if he wants to.

10/29/2022 4:41 pm  #32

Welcome Christian Jones.  Autry/Jones/Edwards might just give us a top100 level backcourt again!

10/30/2022 10:47 am  #33

I think the ones to watch for a possible return are Dean and Bishop. Pretty sure Harris, Clark, Adams, Lindo, Samuels are gone after this year. So that's at least five. But I am betting there will be 2-3 more. That's what happens when a new regime comes in. So I would say we could have anywhere from 5 to 11 open scholarships for 2023. The only sure bets to return are Harvey and Edwards (since they transferred once). Brown, West and Nixon will likely depend on what happens this season.

All this is to say that CC is far from done either with 2023s or transfers in the Spring.

10/30/2022 5:15 pm  #34

Free Quebec wrote:

Welcome Christian Jones. Autry/Jones/Edwards might just give us a top100 level backcourt again!

Another name to be added to that list soon. Probably my favorite passer of the three coming in next year so far. The future is definitely bright.

GWRising wrote:

I think the ones to watch for a possible return are Dean and Bishop. Pretty sure Harris, Clark, Adams, Lindo, Samuels are gone after this year. So that's at least five. But I am betting there will be 2-3 more. That's what happens when a new regime comes in. So I would say we could have anywhere from 5 to 11 open scholarships for 2023. The only sure bets to return are Harvey and Edwards (since they transferred once). Brown, West and Nixon will likely depend on what happens this season.

All this is to say that CC is far from done either with 2023s or transfers in the Spring.

The only player that I feel like is a guarantee to return next year is Max. Amir, Brendan, EJ, and Ricky will definitely be out of eligibility. I believe JB, Hunter, and Qwanzi would have the extra COVID year if they want it. I can't imagine why JB would spend an additional year in college when he can make money overseas (even if NIL has changed those decisions somewhat). Keegan has already transferred but with the NCAA handing out waivers left and right I don't think he'll have to sit out if he doesn't remain in Foggy Bottom beyond this year. The number of potential scholarships opening next year is why I feel we should have started the rebuild this year because the roster turnover is inevitable, whether it happens this year or next.

It's just an exhibition game, but I can't help but feel the frontcourt will need a major overhaul next year. A bit concerning that both Noel and Ricky fouled out so quickly. We were outrebounded by a D3 team that was much shorter than us, and WCSU had twice as many points as us in the paint. Even with Hunter out, I'm not sure taking 70% of our shots from distance and making them at a 50% clip is sustainable. Not sure if that's CC's preferred style of play or a result of an imbalanced roster. On the plus side, the entire team definitely looks stronger physically and shooting may be better than expected in the backcourt. Hope a defensive identity develops over the course of the year.

10/30/2022 9:07 pm  #35

To suggest there will be eleven open scholarships is absurd, to say the least. Maybe seven on the high side. I’m hoping his style, his focus on fitness and the discipline Chris brings to the program will result in more “stickiness” as players see improvement in decision-making, accountability and results. These two new recruits suggest that very early on he has stopped the bleeding and made GW a place to be considered on par with other high mid-majors. There will always be people who get unhappy, those who can’t cut it, and those whose talents and performance make them attractive to bigger and more visible programs. That’s just reality. But winning and running a good program can limit that. I’m very optimistic amd impressed with the order Chris has brought to the program and with his leadership.

10/31/2022 10:37 am  #36

Alum1 wrote:

To suggest there will be eleven open scholarships is absurd, to say the least. Maybe seven on the high side. I’m hoping his style, his focus on fitness and the discipline Chris brings to the program will result in more “stickiness” as players see improvement in decision-making, accountability and results. These two new recruits suggest that very early on he has stopped the bleeding and made GW a place to be considered on par with other high mid-majors. There will always be people who get unhappy, those who can’t cut it, and those whose talents and performance make them attractive to bigger and more visible programs. That’s just reality. But winning and running a good program can limit that. I’m very optimistic amd impressed with the order Chris has brought to the program and with his leadership.

Doubt it will be eleven (no one said it would be 11 only that it was possible). but willing to bet it's more than 7. CC is remaking this program and some guys will not fit or choose to fit. It's just the way it is - not an indictment of CC, JC, or the players. We already know 5 for sure. Of the other 7, I am pretty certain at least 3 or 4 will leave either because they have other opportunities or because CC will indicate to them in either words or actions that they will not be a big part of things moving forward. By almost definition, running a winning program at GW will require much more talent than exists on the current roster. CC has really one chance to make over the entire roster with his guys. Expect him to take that opportunity. 

Last edited by GWRising (10/31/2022 10:39 am)

10/31/2022 10:42 am  #37

Good get but enough with the guards. The frontcourt may be our weakness this season and we need to bring in several bigs for next.

10/31/2022 11:24 am  #38

Looks like we're focusing on the international route for bigs.  Almost half the remaining names on our offer list are internationals.

https://gwhoops.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=124

(thanks dmv)

10/31/2022 11:31 am  #39

It looks like CC will be making over the roster at a higher level than JC, who may have been better with
at least a few inherited players compared to some of his recruits.
   The playing time has to be a great sell. It's going to be wide open.
I'm not a big believer in reading anything into exhibition games, which can turn out to be false positives or
negatives.
  But as parts of the game against a small D3 team showed, we have some depth issues to put it politely.
Especially with a few injuries.

11/04/2022 6:15 pm  #40

You can watch Christian Jones and the OSL Falcons right now on Amazon Prime.  

Upcoming OSL games on Amazon Prime:
Saturday, December 17, 2022                            Falcons @ City Reapers
Saturday, January 14, 2023                                Falcons @ Cold Hearts

Last edited by GW0509 (11/04/2022 6:43 pm)

Board footera