GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2022 10:49 am  #61

Re: The new nickname thread

GWStudent 2024 has the right to his opinion. But perhaps it would be better to present his thoughts and knowledge of the student body, rather than dismissing others.
Sure, having principles and knowledge of word meaning, which one would hope every GW student/graduate
would have, is something to complain about.
  And perhaps in this social media generation, everything is flexible, transactional and fluid until the next post.
    Just take it and move on, even if it is just doesn't make sense. Or is appeasement to ignorant people who theoretically should be most interested in being educated.
But that's not a way to even run a losing basketball program, much less a university. Or anything else in life.

10/18/2022 11:38 am  #62

I'm with GWstudent2024. I can't believe we don't have many, many more important things to worry about than a nickname. I am more concerned about a few more wins on the basketball court that the school's nickname.

10/18/2022 3:18 pm  #63

Hemp Growers it is. Then maybe a few students will come to a game.  As it is,  the University is going to lose revenue (giving) over this fiasco.

10/18/2022 3:21 pm  #64

We could go the Spirits of St. Louis route and put the moniker first?

10/29/2022 6:12 pm  #65

News editor from the Hatchet

Zach Blackburne @zachblackburn23  
I’ve heard from a handful of people with connections to the athletic department that it’s looking less and less likely that the new GW moniker could be the Hippo. Tough break for a mascot that many see as adventurous and exciting

Last edited by GW0509 (10/29/2022 6:13 pm)

10/29/2022 7:59 pm  #66

GW0509 wrote:

News editor from the Hatchet

Zach Blackburne @zachblackburn23  
I’ve heard from a handful of people with connections to the athletic department that it’s looking less and less likely that the new GW moniker could be the Hippo. Tough break for a mascot that many see as adventurous and exciting

In the 70´s and 80´s (and probably still to this day) older $nobford alums attended games wearing "Indians" buttons with the school´s old racist iconography on it to protest the "Cardinal" nickname adopted in the early 70´s. I thought that was infantile and offensive, but if "Hippos" makes its way on to a GW uniform, I will defiantly wear "Colonials" merch until the day I die. Even "Generics", "Teams" and "Wildcats" would be more palatable.
About the only worse suggestion than "Hippos" would be "Hoyas".

10/29/2022 8:18 pm  #67

I always understood Hippos to be an absolute non-starter for the athletic department. One joke is enough.

10/30/2022 9:12 am  #68

i will continue to wear my "Colonial" gear, believing the reason for the name change is moronic, however if I also like "Fog" as a nickname, if it has to be changed.   

10/30/2022 9:11 pm  #69

Fog would have been a great nickname for the Mojo era.

10/30/2022 9:53 pm  #70

GW0509 wrote:

Tough break for a mascot that many see as adventurous and exciting

I didn't realize there is a large number of 8 years olds that attend GW.  I mean, only an 8 year old or a complete moron would find a Hippo "adventurous or exciting".  You aren't telling me the student body is full of morons, are you?

10/30/2022 10:58 pm  #71

Well, they don't seem to understand simple definitions, so there's that.

Board footera