GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/19/2022 9:07 am  #461

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

squid wrote:

Ding ding. Yep

Gwmayhem wrote:

Number of unique posters who have commented on this thread or the other
nickname thread in recent days: 30

Number of unique posters who have enthusiastically expressed congratulations
or excitement about Trey Autry giving his verbal to GW:   7

Just saying it would be nice to put this board's emphasis back on basketball again.

Yes!!

10/19/2022 11:57 am  #462

Of course Gwmayhem is correct about having the emphasis be on basketball here. It's just that GW (the institution) makes it so damn hard with a multitude of distractions and self-inflicted issues.

10/25/2022 1:09 pm  #463

The university has launched the GW Moniker Project to seek community input. Give your feedback on the direction of the new moniker today. This is just one of the many opportunities you will have to weigh in on the moniker. 

The GW Moniker Project wants to hear from you. Survey (research.net)

Bad news is this is asking more about "vibes" than any specific recommendations about a new name, but for those of you who want to contribute to the project, here is a vehicle to do that.

It asks: In three character traits or fewer, how do you define the spirit and personality of GW?
Why are you proud to be a part of the GW community? 

Last edited by GW0509 (10/25/2022 1:10 pm)

10/29/2022 6:12 pm  #464

News editor from the Hatchet

Zach Blackburne[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/zachblackburn23]@zachblackburn23  
I’ve heard from a handful of people with connections to the athletic department that it’s looking less and less likely that the new GW moniker could be the Hippo. Tough break for a mascot that many see as adventurous and exciting

Last edited by GW0509 (10/29/2022 6:13 pm)

10/29/2022 7:59 pm  #465

GW0509 wrote:

News editor from the Hatchet

Zach Blackburne[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/zachblackburn23]@zachblackburn23  
I’ve heard from a handful of people with connections to the athletic department that it’s looking less and less likely that the new GW moniker could be the Hippo. Tough break for a mascot that many see as adventurous and exciting

In the 70´s and 80´s (and probably still to this day) older $nobford alums attended games wearing "Indians" buttons with the school´s old racist iconography on it to protest the "Cardinal" nickname adopted in the early 70´s. I thought that was infantile and offensive, but if "Hippos" makes its way on to a GW uniform, I will defiantly wear "Colonials" merch until the day I die. Even "Generics", "Teams" and "Wildcats" would be more palatable.
About the only worse suggestion than "Hippos" would be "Hoyas".

10/29/2022 8:18 pm  #466

I always understood Hippos to be an absolute non-starter for the athletic department. One joke is enough.

10/30/2022 9:12 am  #467

i will continue to wear my "Colonial" gear, believing the reason for the name change is moronic, however if I also like "Fog" as a nickname, if it has to be changed.   

10/30/2022 9:11 pm  #468

Fog would have been a great nickname for the Mojo era.

10/30/2022 9:53 pm  #469

GW0509 wrote:

Tough break for a mascot that many see as adventurous and exciting

I didn't realize there is a large number of 8 years olds that attend GW.  I mean, only an 8 year old or a complete moron would find a Hippo "adventurous or exciting".  You aren't telling me the student body is full of morons, are you?

10/30/2022 10:58 pm  #470

Well, they don't seem to understand simple definitions, so there's that.

1/18/2023 12:34 pm  #471

As may know, the George Washington University is in the midst of the process to identify a new moniker.

I'm writing to give you a heads-up that Hippos (or a related or similar name) will not be considered for the new moniker, because it does not meet the standards of the guiding principles

Those principles provide the framework and personality traits from which the new moniker names will be developed and will serve as inspiration that will keep the new moniker name options connected to the GW community’s identity. The principles are 1) Shaping the Future; 2) Free to Be Bold; and 3) At the Center of Power.

Ideal personality traits that should be reflected in the new moniker to represent our community at-large are 1) Tenacious; 2) Electric; and 3) Open.
Learn more and suggest a new moniker →

With these guiding principles in mind, GW is issuing an open call for new moniker suggestions. Members of the GW community can provide their suggestions for GW’s new moniker at moniker.gwu.edu from January 18-31.

After evaluating suggestions that are aligned with the guiding principles for the new moniker, GW will present options to the community for feedback next month. Throughout the spring semester, we will conduct a variety of engagement activities to continue to get feedback from the GW community and we will again invite and encourage your leadership and participation.

It remains crucial that, together, we identify a moniker that unites and unifies the GW community, and increase pride in our institution with a moniker that reflects the values, strengths and diversity of our worldwide population. I will look forward to your continued participation in our shared process.

Tanya Vogel
Director of Athletics
GW Releases Guiding Principles for the Selection of the New Moniker
GW community members can submit their suggestions until January 31.

Based on input from nearly 4,000 GW community members throughout the first phase of the moniker development process, the George Washington University Moniker Project has released a set of guiding principles for the selection of the new moniker. While the university has already received hundreds of new moniker name suggestions, GW community members are encouraged to submit moniker suggestions that align with the themes and personality traits outlined in these newly released guidelines.

Members of the GW community can review the guiding principles and submit their own suggestions at moniker.gwu.edu. Suggestions will be considered through January 31.

The guiding principles provide a framework to help identify moniker options that reflect the GW community’s shared experiences, serve as an identifier for GW athletics spirit, connect GW’s history to its future and are as inclusive and diverse as the global GW community.

“We’re pleased to have had such robust participation from the very beginning of this process, with thousands of members of the GW community already providing feedback on the direction of the new moniker,” said Vice President for Communications and Marketing Ellen Moran. “As we begin to explore options for the new moniker, we will continue to engage our community each and every step of the way.”

The new moniker must be related to at least one of the themes outlined in the guiding principles as noted below:

• Shaping the Future: This will honor GW’s long history developing students into leaders, doers and thinkers.
  • Free to Be Bold: This will symbolize the university’s trailblazing spirit.
  • At the Center of Power: This will reflect the energy and drive that brings the GW community to Washington, D.C., to be changemakers on the world stage.

The guiding principles also outline personality traits that should be represented in the new moniker, including tenacious, electric and open.

In releasing the guiding principles, the university also shared that “Hippos,” or variations of it, will not be considered in the moniker selection process. As a moniker, it would not align with the guiding principles and received negative feedback during engagement events from various members of the community, including student-athletes who are closely identified with the moniker in competition. The hippo and statue on campus will remain an important part of the university’s traditions.

The GW Moniker Project partnered with the marketing agency Sullivan to craft its guiding principles based on research and several community engagement activities during the fall semester, including the GW Moniker Feedback Form, an engagement booth during Alumni and Families Weekend, focus groups with students and alumni and multiple student-athlete town halls. In total, the process has included more than 20 hours of direct stakeholder input, 55 individual interviews, 237 engagement booth participants and 3,000 feedback form responses.The George Washington University
Development and Alumni Relations
1922 F Street, NW, Suite 202
Washington, DC 20052
alumni.gwu.edu | alumni@gwu.edu

1/18/2023 12:43 pm  #472

glad she threw water on the absurd Hippos suggestion
that would have been A-W-F-U-L and automatic laughing stock of collegiate athletics 

1/18/2023 1:34 pm  #473

Let's leave the silly animal monikers to the UCSCs, IPFWs, and UMKCs of the world.

While I'm glad Hippo is out, a part of me wanted to see a live hippo mascot in the endzone with the First Ladies.

Last edited by GW0509 (1/18/2023 1:36 pm)

1/18/2023 2:56 pm  #474

How surprising that well-conditioned student-athletes would not want to be Hippos.
Brought to you probably by the same geniuses who didn't know the difference between Colonials and
Colonialism.
Kudos to Tanya Vogel, etc. for torpedoing that Hippo stupidity, though the whole name change is an unnecessary expense and concern when much greater issues need to be addressed on campus and off.
Wonder how many consultants involved in this process?

1/18/2023 3:40 pm  #475

It should be easy to come up with a great moniker that is non-sexist, non-militaristic, non-violent, and can't possibly offend the oppressed peoples of the world! That leaves animals and, unfortunately, "eagles" is taken and "hippos" is out.  I like "Presidents" but that too may be unacceptable as sexist because, so far, all of the Presidents have been men.

1/18/2023 4:27 pm  #476

My dream of being The George Washington Carvers has apparently died.

Guiding principles notwithstanding, I would not be shocked if the school has already decided on a name yet is asking for community input anyway because hey, isn't that good PR?

1/18/2023 4:51 pm  #477

Continentals
Revolution
Liberators
Presidents
???

I'm just really happy that Hippos is out!

1/18/2023 5:21 pm  #478

I'm just pissed Colonials is going away.  It is also embarrassing that those in charge don't have the balls to tell those insulted by "Colonials" that "Colonials" is not politically incorrect.  But then again, it is a microcosm of society on too many levels.  

1/18/2023 6:20 pm  #479

You all didn't like my suggestion before but it fits squarely with the following:

• Shaping the Future: This will honor GW’s long history developing students into leaders, doers and thinkers.
  • Free to Be Bold: This will symbolize the university’s trailblazing spirit.
  • At the Center of Power: This will reflect the energy and drive that brings the GW community to Washington, D.C., to be changemakers on the world stage.

The Wokesters!

Our Mascot can be an undefined entity that wears the bumper stickers of the latest cause much like you used to see in the 60's/70's with those vans adorned with bumper stickers.

Think of it this way   ... if you mess with our mascot you will be cancelled and what better way to virtue signal to the World that GW is the place to be.

1/18/2023 6:45 pm  #480

I put down Colonials. Eagles, taken, Patriots, taken, Commanders? Seems like a ploy to change  the name of the University too. Have to get the people to try and change the name of the CAA (Colonial conference) also. Sorry, but I feel only alumni should vote on this. But who cares about the alumni? Apparently, anyone can vote on this issue. Good job administration on dividing the GW community. 

Board footera