GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2022 3:32 pm  #1

GW versus Howard University Thread

GW travels across town on Monday to take on Howard University Bison at Burr Gymnasium. Howard, like UMES, plays in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC). Last year, Howard finished at 18-13 overall and 11-3 in conference play. They were awarded a trip to the NCCAs with a “First Four” bid and earned the University’s first ever tournament victory versus Incarnate Word. For that win, they were rewarded a date with South Carolina and although they lost handily to the No. 1 Seed, it did not detract from the really good year for the Bison.

Howard returns four starters from last year’s successful campaign. Top scorers Destiny Howell (12.5 ppg) and Iyanna Warren (8.6 ppg, 3.5 apg) are complemented by two very strong rebounding forwards in Brooklyn Fort-Davis and Krislyn Marsh who each pulled down over 200 boards last year. Newly added is Aziah Hudson, a graduate transfer from Old Dominion, who takes over the PG duties for the Bison.

In their first game of this season, Howard defeated La Salle (62-57) at Burr Gymnasium. This was a nice win for the Bison, as La Salle is projected to finish as the No. 2 team in the A10 this year. Earlier today, Howard ran into a buzz saw in Memphis, losing their first road game of the season (54-101). Howard had a miserable shooting day and played without starting forward Marsh. I’m sure this loss stings, so we better be prepared for a psyched up Howard team looking for redemption on their home court.

An experienced team coming off an NCCA bid last season, looking for a chance to avenge last year’s loss to GW at the Smith Center and claim local area bragging rights. This has all the makings of a good game, and is the next big test for GW.

Side note: The GW-Howard Preview has a "Watch" link that takes you to the Bison Live site, where I believe we'll be able to catch this game. It doesn't show up on the WBB schedule site yet, but maybe it'll be there by game time on Monday.

Last edited by xAC (11/15/2022 12:00 am)

11/14/2022 7:47 pm  #2

Re: GW versus Howard University Thread

Kudos to Howard for putting up a multi-camera feed for free and without geographic restrictions (just tone down the homer announcers and all the "we" and "our" talk). Also, good hosts by sitting their top three players. Has Burr been remodeled? The lighting is actually good enough to see the game (an improvement from how I remember it, although a bit like the regulars at "Moe´s Tavern", I miss the dank) and the seating looks better than benches. Their DJ and dance team are pretty good, too.
Up 43-28 at the half, but if you watched the UVa game, you know that means about as much an account at a cyrpto exchange. When GW is not dropping threes, the back door is open. Too many dumb fouls and pitter-patter feet to make me happy, but a good show so far.

11/14/2022 8:26 pm  #3

Robertson is the real deal. Holy cow. 25 points with 8 minutes to go

11/14/2022 8:37 pm  #4

Unfortunately Howard doesn't realize the west coast is in a different time zone and thinks the game hasn't started yet.

11/14/2022 8:46 pm  #5

gwstudent2024 wrote:

Robertson is the real deal. Holy cow. 25 points with 8 minutes to go

Based on this game, and this game only, I am worried she jumps to the WNBA before the A10 seasons starts!

Howard was short handed, but a 21-point road win is still a 21-point road win. I think every GW turnover was a travel call with no defenders in the area, so coach needs to work really hard on footwork at practices ahead of Thursday´s game near the Bethesda border.

11/14/2022 11:58 pm  #6

GW wins 83-62 at Burr.

We were fortunate that Robertson had a good shooting night, ensuring that our lead never went below six points. She had a game like no freshman I can remember, going 11-17 (4-7 from beyond the arc) and finishing with 27 points and a team leading 4 assists. She had her freshman moments-- playing a bit out of control contributed to 6 TOs. We have multiple players who can be scoring threats, but we need to be more consistent, especially within each game. Like the previous games, we had our ups and downs, and scoring droughts at the beginning of the 3rd and 4th quarters gave Howard life.

The jury is out on our defense. At times it looks OK, but at times we look slow and we've been fouling at a much higher rate than our opponents, especially on the inside. Howard made 21-24 FTs tonight, otherwise the final score could have been much worse for the Bison (GW was 5-8 on FTs).

As usual, Taiwo controlled the boards, finishing 14 rebounds and 7 points. Laktisgala had a good start and finished with 11 points, including 3-4 on 3's. Innis had a nice game, scoring 10 pints on 5-7 shooting and doing a good job of finishing her drives to the basket. Brown, plagued by early foul trouble, wasn't a big factor in the game. Webster also had a tough game, with several TOs in traffic, trying to jockey for position under the rim. The subs played well. For the most part, Robertson was unstoppable, except when she stopped herself. Blethen, Lok, and Thornton all made positive contributions, and Gingras was a good floor general, especially when we needed to slow down a bit.

Howard was undermanned, with Iyanna Warren out and Destiny Howell scratched at game time, but GW has been playing without Engel, Laureano, and Loving who I'm anxiously awaiting to see. So despite that, this was still a pretty good road win.

Last edited by xAC (11/15/2022 12:05 am)

Board footera