GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/27/2022 8:27 pm  #21

Re: GW vs New Hampshire Game Thread

New Hampshire was the first team that we faced this season that had basically no returners from last season and it showed. I don't think we'll face another team like that the rest of the year but that's what happens when an entire roster gets turned over. It's tough to find the right players to fill so many scholarship spots, especially at the low major level. They struggled to consistently get into a rhythm offensively. Daniels, Derry, and Herasme looked like the only players that should be playing D1. Brown was pesky, but a bit undersized to have success offensively.

For once, it felt like we were confident that we were the better team and played like it. The energy was considerably better and we for the most part held on to the ball. Rebounding was great to see as well - limiting the opposition to one possession on offense will likely remain a work in progress all season but there was some improvement on Saturday. I unfortunately do have to mention Bishop's turnover where he was caught for a carry in the backcourt against no pressure. Those mental mistakes (along with the lane violation on Max's FT) matter in closer games. There were still a couple of defensive breakdowns - too many players crowded around the paint on one possession leaving Herasme wide open from 3, and we didn't get back on defense after a made three from EJ leading to an easy fastbreak layup for UNH.

Happy to see Brendan finally get the recognition he deserves for his strong play all season thus far. With JB's scoring explosions, it definitely seems like Bishop has taken all of the spotlight, and I agree with DC Native and others that it was nice to see JB give BA some shine yesterday. By all accounts, JB seems like a great guy to play with. Bishop had a couple forces but for the most part was fine with being a decoy/willing passer after reaching 1,000 points at GW (a big achievement that deserves recognition).

Although both shots were missed from point blank range, I liked the fact that we went to Hunter multiple times in the second half. We actually drew up plays FOR Hunter. JC would have never done that. Given Dean didn't practice with the team all offseason, I think he has performed well despite a couple of down games prior to the UNH game. If we continue to run plays for him (especially if opposing teams continue to hedge ball screens) I'm sure he will make those more frequently moving forward. It's probably not great for him to handle the ball a lot along the perimeter as he can get rattled against guards away from the basket, but I'm sure CC will work with him on that.

Very happy to see that Ricky was okay. He was fantastic defensively, blocking shots down low and closing out on shooters along the perimeter. CC has done a good job getting him to defend without fouling lately (as with Hunter) and it has shown in-game. Offensively he can be frustrating at times like that play in transition where he should have kicked the ball out for 3 instead of him charging towards 3 UNH players but overall he played well.

I didn't get the sense that Max was showing attitude. I think he was probably a bit frustrated more shots didn't fall as he's been a pretty consistent shooter otherwise on the year. I'm glad he looked less afraid to let it fly against UNH, but many of his shot attempts were unfortunately forced and not within the flow of the offense. He'll get better with time and has enormous potential.

As for the bench, it was interesting to see Keegan get more minutes than Noel off the bench. I actually really like the sub pattern CC has been employing thus far. So far, Harvey has not been a liability defensively and I'm liking his energy when he gets in the game. He has a nice stroke from 3 without a doubt and that can be useful for a few minutes here and there when the team needs a jolt. Noel is useful as a rebounder so perhaps he can sub in for defense while Keegan comes in for offense in situations where Hunter is in foul trouble and we need to remain big inside. CC deployed a Hunter-Keegan frontcourt for a period in this game which I thought was very interesting/was reasonably successful.

EJ just plays with so much energy that he will likely be a fan favorite if he isn't already. I just have a lot of respect for all those guys that play on MEAC/SWAC squads. They play with a chip on their shoulder and always give it their all. Clark has a slight hitch in his shot but he has shown that he can get it off and be successful so whatever and he has so far exceeded expectations on defense by fighting through screens. Most guards need to watch that and learn. Also someone needs to tell Patsos that Alabama State is D1.

Qwanzi had a couple nice takes to the hoop, but it would be nice if he was more impactful than just 1-2 plays a game. Granted, he didn't play much at Florida Gulf Coast so expecting him to be more than what he has been showing is probably unfair. Amir is useful as a minutes eater and it was nice to see him handle some at the point. While it's clear a Samuels-Brown-Harvey-Clark-Harris bench is not particularly talented, all these guys need to do is provide energy and give the starters 10 minutes of break.

The school could certainly do a better job of marketing when it comes to drawing bigger home crowds, but not surprised by the turnout given it was thanksgiving weekend, we had just come off a loss against a bottom 100 squad at home, and we were facing another bottom 50 team nationally. Hopefully that's the case on this board as well, because it seems like there's been less interaction around here - likely because most expect the team to not be so good this year. There are only 5 teams in D1 who have played a weaker schedule than us thus far. Better opponents will draw better crowds (which will hopefully happen as we get better). I have no problem with the schedule we have for this year, and I know CC has been working hard to get people to come to games.

Having said that, I continue to not understand why the school will never post the home postgame conferences. What are they hiding? I cannot understand what the point is of holding those if we are only going to get like three quotes from it in a Hatchet article. Unlike under JC, CC has been very candid and provided good tidbits from other channels that post the postgame conferences sometimes that make it a useful listen. Also, the highlight packages of the game are worse than in the past. I don't want to see extra zoomed in shots of a player making baskets. Seeing everything zoomed out provides looks at how others react and how other players are contributing to a winning play. During the ML era the school was consistent in posting both of these videos to their channel but now it never happens. That once again speaks to worse marketing.

Next up is a tough one against South Carolina. If we were an average team I think I would say it is winnable but this team isn't quite there yet. Regardless, it goes without saying that SC's frontcourt will be a challenge - Ricky and Hunter will need to continue to play well without fouling defensively. Hope to see us continue to play with energy and limit turnovers.

11/28/2022 4:09 pm  #22

dmvpiranha wrote:

Having said that, I continue to not understand why the school will never post the home postgame conferences. What are they hiding? I cannot understand what the point is of holding those if we are only going to get like three quotes from it in a Hatchet article. Unlike under JC, CC has been very candid and provided good tidbits from other channels that post the postgame conferences sometimes that make it a useful listen.

Someone must’ve been reading your post DMV. If you now go to the school’s YouTube page they just posted all the previous post game press conferences, men and women.

https://youtube.com/@RaiseHighTV

Last edited by GW0509 (11/28/2022 4:09 pm)

11/28/2022 4:26 pm  #23

Several have posted that they see little chance of GW beating South Carolina. The Gamecocks are not very good and that is an understatement! I watched them lose to Colorado St by more than 30.and they were awful. They have no starters back and a new coach. I know that freshman Jackson is highly regarded, but we should be competitive

11/29/2022 9:59 am  #24

GW0509 wrote:

dmvpiranha wrote:

Having said that, I continue to not understand why the school will never post the home postgame conferences. What are they hiding? I cannot understand what the point is of holding those if we are only going to get like three quotes from it in a Hatchet article. Unlike under JC, CC has been very candid and provided good tidbits from other channels that post the postgame conferences sometimes that make it a useful listen.

Someone must’ve been reading your post DMV. If you now go to the school’s YouTube page they just posted all the previous post game press conferences, men and women.

https://youtube.com/@RaiseHighTV

Great find GW0509! Whoever read my post and posted them to the channel, thank you. It is much appreciated.

AT Hiker, that's fair. We should definitely be competitive but a W feels shaky as our defense is still a work in progress. South Carolina may finish last in the SEC but I worry about our frontcourt being in foul trouble/losing a guy like Chico Carter open from the perimeter as we collapse on GG Jackson down low. We will definitely be better than the time we played them at Mohegan Sun but that's admittedly a VERY low bar given we trailed 56-18 at halftime.

11/29/2022 3:16 pm  #25

Good points. Feels like an upset is certainly possible. 
But even if we shoot out of our heads, and somehow defend their outside shots, our thinness/vulnerabilities
inside could indeed make a real difference.
  Especially if Ricky and or Hunter get in foul trouble.

Board footera