GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/31/2022 9:19 pm  #21

Re: Recruit: Jacoi Hutchinson, Guard, 2023 - Committed to GW!!

Extremely excited by the offers, rankings, and pedigrees of these three young men. My only question is are any of these three true PGs or should we expect one more in the mix? All three have been described as combo guards in write ups but most of the sites list them as SGs. In todays game of positionless basketball we may not need a true PG but has anyone heard of any in the pipeline or should we expect one of these three to be a main ball handler.

10/31/2022 9:52 pm  #22

I think this is more a case of you take the best athletes you can get and figure it out later. These are three top flight recruits of a caliber amd quality we haven’t seen in some time outside of transfers. Great start by Coach C.

10/31/2022 10:53 pm  #23

Buff&BlueBandit wrote:

Extremely excited by the offers, rankings, and pedigrees of these three young men. My only question is are any of these three true PGs or should we expect one more in the mix? All three have been described as combo guards in write ups but most of the sites list them as SGs. In todays game of positionless basketball we may not need a true PG but has anyone heard of any in the pipeline or should we expect one of these three to be a main ball handler.

I would trust any of them to handle the point for stretches. They have all spent time playing off the ball at one point or another so combo guard is probably technically most accurate but they are all PGs first. All three are very good on-ball defenders, have great vision finding the open man, and are unselfish players (they aren't looking for their shot first - not knocking Brayon by any means, but he is more of a "scoring PG" compared to the three guys coming in). The only real knock on these guys going into next year is that they will be young. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a veteran from the transfer portal as a "security blanket" but these guys have all played against good competition which might lessen the learning curve coming into college.

I think Hutchinson is the best passer of the three (nitpicking), and would probably start him at the point with one of Autry or Jones flanking him along the perimeter. Autry/Jones are better shooters, but would also be able to serve as a secondary ball handler on the court. Some of the high majors cooled on Jacoi in the past year because he is somewhat inconsistent of a shooter, although things started to come together for him during the final live period when he shot 35% from distance (which happened to coincide with cold shooting from Trey who otherwise was really shooting the ball well during AAU play).

Autry definitely looked for his shot more playing with the Albany City Rocks, but is more of a true PG at Western Reserve Academy in Ohio. He has a really good feel for the game, makes good decisions, and knows when he needs to look for his shot. He scored in double figures in all three of WRA's games this past weekend, including 19 in the first half alone in game #2. He is also physically ready to contribute on day 1. Check out one of his games here from Saturday. He is #0 in white. Came away very impressed overall.

Jones is probably the most efficient of the three from a shooting standpoint, but will probably need to add a bit more strength coming into college. From the games I've watched, he has a high basketball IQ but I wish he would be more aggressive sometimes because he's a good scorer when he gets the opportunity. It might be a product of playing with a number of other "alphas" at Our Savior Lutheran and NH Lightning but he usually makes winning plays overall. It would make sense to pair him with Max on the floor since they've played together in the past.

Overall, I think we probably add another guard at some point for depth purposes, but the backcourt looks really good in the years to come. Next up is addressing the frontcourt. It will be interesting to see how CC tackles that. Marqus Marion is a primary target, and I wouldn't mind getting Eemeli Yalaho either who is Trey's teammate at WRA. Yalaho had a strong game yesterday with 20 points and 10 rebounds. We probably leverage the transfer portal more for the frontcourt since frontcourt players take longer to come along.

11/01/2022 6:49 am  #24

The TTO pedigree is great to see.  Having coach Straughn on the team probably didn’t hurt.

11/01/2022 8:23 am  #25

Buff&BlueBandit wrote:

I’ve spoken with a friend whose son has played against and with Hutchinson. The word I get is he’s better than his rating and he is the likely starting point guard at IMG this year.

11/01/2022 10:09 pm  #26

PKGW wrote:

Do we need to let him know we are. I longer the “Colonials “ 😉

Caused me to laugh out loud, and I am a curmudgeon who rarely laughs.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (11/02/2022 8:15 am)

11/01/2022 10:45 pm  #27

BGF wrote:

Buff&BlueBandit wrote:

I’ve spoken with a friend whose son has played against and with Hutchinson. The word I get is he’s better than his rating and he is the likely starting point guard at IMG this year.

He looks like a great playmaker on all of his film. One set of film is all great assists for his teammates

11/02/2022 8:36 am  #28

247Sports ranks Jacoi as GW's highest rated recruit ever, going back about 20 years.

https://247sports.com/college/george-washington/Season/2023-Basketball/Commits/

Christian Jones is 11th.

11/02/2022 12:45 pm  #29

DC Native wrote:

247Sports ranks Jacoi as GW's highest rated recruit ever, going back about 20 years.

https://247sports.com/college/george-washington/Season/2023-Basketball/Commits/

Christian Jones is 11th.

Jacoi takes the top spot from Brayon Freeman.  The previously highest ever rated GW recruit via 24/7

11/09/2022 5:25 pm  #30

11/10/2022 11:56 am  #31

Great.  A formal welcome to Jacoi and family to the GW family!
If the signing period has started, time for our other two excellent commits to sign.
And get some big men to join them this signing period or in the spring.
  Future hopes will be bright.

11/26/2022 7:58 am  #32

IMG Instagram video on Jacoi

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClZpfMBDNHW/

11/29/2022 1:18 pm  #33

NIBC@NIBCOfficial Jacoi Hutchinson and IMG have their eyes on the prize Introducing your 2022-23 IMG Ascenders @IMGABasketball  7:34pm · 28 Nov 2022 · Twitter for iPhone5Retweets13
15Likes

12/01/2022 2:16 pm  #34

Something to watch tonight:

:=inherit=inheritSamad Hines=inherit@Samad_Hines=inherit·2h =inheritNo. 5 IMG Academy (FL) and No. 3 Montverde Academy (FL) meeting tonight for the first time this season -- the annual matchup will feature at least 20 next level prospects. An elite top-5 matchup tonight on ESPNU at 5PM ET as part of the NIBC -- definitely APPOINTMENT TV.

Last edited by Florida Colonial (12/01/2022 2:16 pm)

12/01/2022 2:46 pm  #35

Thank you for the heads up, FC.  I have set my DVR

12/01/2022 6:06 pm  #36

Also thx for Heads up also Set DVR

About to watch now.  Jacoi starts and #4 for IMG

This game is loaded with division 1 bound players

Kwame Evans Jr one of the nation's top recruits in for montverde.  GW fans know his Pops well

Jacoi described as heart and soul"

Last edited by The Dude (12/01/2022 6:07 pm)

12/02/2022 9:56 am  #37

Hard to glean anything from watching that game.  It was very much a scrum with Montverde the main culprit.  Jacoi had some good moments and some bad, but he was on the court most of the game and was the floor general when the aspiring "6'9" PG"s weren't trying to take the ball coast to coast. 

Jamie Keiser looked good.  Would'a looked good in Buff & Blue.

12/02/2022 11:56 am  #38

Tough game for Jacoi.  Montverde jumped them from the start and IMG was playing catch-up all night.  Jacoi made a pretty pass here and there (including one dazzling assist) and showed a willingness to sacrifice his body in order to try to take charges.  But on the whole, not close to a good outing.  On the plus side, that Montverde team had more size and talent than 1/2 the teams Jacoi will face in college.

Bittersweet watching Kwame Evans Jr and dreaming what could have been.  Why though did he decide on Oregon?  Pretty curious choice.

12/02/2022 1:01 pm  #39

Gwmayhem wrote:

Tough game for Jacoi.  Montverde jumped them from the start and IMG was playing catch-up all night.  Jacoi made a pretty pass here and there (including one dazzling assist) and showed a willingness to sacrifice his body in order to try to take charges.  But on the whole, not close to a good outing.  On the plus side, that Montverde team had more size and talent than 1/2 the teams Jacoi will face in college.

Bittersweet watching Kwame Evans Jr and dreaming what could have been.  Why though did he decide on Oregon?  Pretty curious choice.

Nike $$$

12/02/2022 1:54 pm  #40

Gwmayhem wrote:

I'm sure the NIL money was pretty sweet from Nike University.

[also what Mike K said]

Last edited by BM (12/02/2022 1:54 pm)

Board footera