GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/02/2022 9:42 pm  #181

Re: James Bishop IV

So happy to have James back. He's been awesome this year and is primed for great things. Definitely in the Yuta/Tyler Cavanaugh realm of success or better.

12/13/2022 10:35 pm  #182

30 more reasons tonight.  Thanks James!

12/14/2022 10:48 am  #183

James now 6th in the nation in scoring, at 22.2 ppg.

Anyone know where I can find a list of GW's 1000 point scorers? I'm interested to see how high up GW's all time scoring list Bishop has a legitimate shot at getting this year. Best I could find is a top 10 list. Thanks.

Last edited by DC Native (12/14/2022 10:50 am)

12/14/2022 11:28 am  #184

I can find the Top 10 but nothing after that. Corky Devlin is 10th with 1,564 points. Bishop currently around 500 points under that so unlikely he cracks the Top 10 this season.

He is however on pace to increase his average ppg as a GW player which would push him higher on that list

https://gwsports.com/documents/2021/8/23/Men_s_Basketball_Record_Book.pdf

Last edited by MG14 (12/14/2022 11:30 am)

12/14/2022 12:18 pm  #185

Yeah, that's the same source I found. According to my math, if he plays 32 games this year and continues at his current pace of 22.2 ppg, he will finish the year with 1537 points, so close to but not quite in the top 10. According to the handout from yesterday's game, he was 48th in all time scoring at GW before last night's 30. Would love to see the complete list.

12/14/2022 3:09 pm  #186

DC Native wrote:

James now 6th in the nation in scoring, at 22.2 ppg.

Anyone know where I can find a list of GW's 1000 point scorers? I'm interested to see how high up GW's all time scoring list Bishop has a legitimate shot at getting this year. Best I could find is a top 10 list. Thanks.

Impressive stuff, also averaging over 5 assists a game

12/14/2022 4:02 pm  #187

DC Native wrote:

Yeah, that's the same source I found. According to my math, if he plays 32 games this year and continues at his current pace of 22.2 ppg, he will finish the year with 1537 points, so close to but not quite in the top 10. According to the handout from yesterday's game, he was 48th in all time scoring at GW before last night's 30. Would love to see the complete list.

Also remember - that's in 3 years. If he got to around 1500 points this year and returned in 2023-24, he would have a pretty good shot of being third all-time.

12/14/2022 4:50 pm  #188

GWRising wrote:

DC Native wrote:

Also remember - that's in 3 years. If he got to around 1500 points this year and returned in 2023-24, he would have a pretty good shot of being third all-time.

I would love for James to come back and play a fourth year, but I'm not counting on it. Assuming he graduates this spring, I'm not sure what playing another year would do for him. I doubt another year would get him drafted into the NBA, and I think he could probably play professionally overseas and make a pretty good living at it right now. But if he is having fun and wants to come back and take some grad classes, I would be super happy. I imagine the team will look very different next year, but there is always room for JB4 on any team that I ever root for. As I've said before, I think he's one of the most under appreciated players I can ever remember playing for the team, mostly because he's had the bad fortune of playing on some pretty mediocre GW teams.

12/14/2022 5:16 pm  #189

DC Native wrote:

I’m confused. On page 8/42 of the school record book, there’s a list of the 1,000 point club at GW which goes 49 players deep.

12/14/2022 5:23 pm  #190

Poog wrote:

DC Native wrote:

I’m confused. On page 8/42 of the school record book, there’s a list of the 1,000 point club at GW which goes 49 players deep.

You are not confused, it is me that is confused! I looked though the entire record book and totally missed that! So I guess I didn't look through it closely enough... Anyway, thanks for pointing out to me what I should have seen myself!

There are some great players coming up for JB4 to pass... If he stays on pace, he should finish the year around No. 12, between Pato and KevLar.

12/14/2022 6:06 pm  #191

DC Native wrote:

GWRising wrote:

DC Native wrote:

I would love for James to come back and play a fourth year, but I'm not counting on it. Assuming he graduates this spring, I'm not sure what playing another year would do for him. I doubt another year would get him drafted into the NBA, and I think he could probably play professionally overseas and make a pretty good living at it right now. But if he is having fun and wants to come back and take some grad classes, I would be super happy. I imagine the team will look very different next year, but there is always room for JB4 on any team that I ever root for. As I've said before, I think he's one of the most under appreciated players I can ever remember playing for the team, mostly because he's had the bad fortune of playing on some pretty mediocre GW teams.

I don't disagree but you just never know. And it is an issue for CC as well. If you bring back James do you slow the development of the younger guards you are bringing in for one more year and then possibly one or more leave? On the other hand, do you need some veteran leadership to help them develop? It will be an interesting decision all the way around.

On a separate note, usually one exceptional player on a bad team is going to get more shots and as a result score more. So if the team were to improve next year it is doubtful that James would average as much..

12/14/2022 8:15 pm  #192

Let's remember that CC has said that his most important recruiting project for next season's team is to recruit James Bishop to come back for another season. 

12/15/2022 2:00 pm  #193

Does anyone know the range of salaries for playing professionally overseas?

yep he is gone

The European basketball salaries are pretty decent, with most leagues paying an average of $500K to $800K per season. The highest-paid players are up to $4 million per season. Most European basketball teams pay way better than an NBA G League. The minimum budget for a European team is $6.5 million a year, while the max is 47 million usd a year.

Last edited by Basketball Jones (12/15/2022 2:03 pm)

1/01/2023 1:44 am  #194

​47 more reasons,  7 of them assists 

Thank you James

Happy New Year

1/02/2023 10:53 am  #195

Anyone know the last time a GW player scored 40+ points in a game twice in one season? I couldn't find this info anywhere...

1/02/2023 11:05 am  #196

Possibly Bob Tallent,and that was before 3-pointers.

Last edited by xAC (1/02/2023 11:45 am)

1/02/2023 12:06 pm  #197

xAC wrote:

Possibly Bob Tallent,and that was before 3-pointers.

Bob was there for this one, as was I.

His line was 16 of 24 from the floor, six of six from the foul line, eight assists and three steals.

I would add that many of those 24 shots cam from NBA range. I love  James,but John's game  that day was way far better. (IMHO)

Shout out here for Candy Cane City.... everyone would drop by to play

GW Savors Finest Hour
By Paul Attner
January 31, 1977
Early yesterday morning, in the midst of a wonderously happy victory celebration. John Holloran approached George Washington assistant coach Tom Schneider. "Damn, coach," he said. "I've never felt so good in my life."
Nor has anyone associated with George Washington basketball. From players and coaches to alumni who have lived so long in the shadow of Maryland's sports giant, for those few hours Saturday night. GW was king of the area basketball hill, generating an ecstasy most had never felt.
"Everyone has been waiting so long for us to beat Maryland in basketball," said Holloran yesterday afternoon. "People around here still can't believe it. For me, it feels like I had just eaten a fine meal. The best part comes when you sit back, put your legs up and savor every taste."
Maryland certainly has enough food for thought. Not only is Lefty Driesell wondering how Holloran could score 38 points agaist his team, but he also must concern himself with replacing injured captain Steve Sheppard, his leading scorer.
Sheppard, playing two weeks with a strained achilles tendon, had his left leg placed in a walking cast after Saturday's game. He'll be out at least 10 days. The tendon will be checked again at that time and if the results of that examination are not good, he could be sidelined as much as three weeks and could miss five ACC games.
His forward spot could be taken by freshman Bill Bryant, who has been out with a broken hand since the Clemson loss 10 days ago. Bryant will be allowed to begin practice as soon as he is fitted with a special brace, possibly today. Bryant had been starting at wing guard before being hurt.
If Bryant isn't ready by Wednesday's game against Virginia at Cole Field House, Driesell probably will start a front line of Lawrence Boston, Mike Davis and Larry Gibson, an alignment that has been ineffective the last two contests.
Maryland has lost three of its last four.
GW's major problem is to come down from cloud nine fast enough to prepare properly for a trip to William and Mary on Wednesday. But for a few hours yesterday, the Colonials preferred to reflect on what Saturday's night victory means to their program and to a scholarly guard who has emerged as one of the area's top players.
"This is what we needed, I think, to get over the recruiting hump," said Schneider, GW's main recruiter. "It might convince more local kids to stay home. And look at the exposure it gives us, to best them on television at Cole."
Already, GW can measure the upset's impact. "At halftime of the UCLA-Tennessee game, on national TV, they gave our score," said Schneider. "When was last time we got our name on national television?"
It has been 16 years since GW last discovered what it is like to beat Maryland in basketball. But this victory means considerably more to the Colonials because the Terrapins are a national power and spend far more money on their program than any other local school.
It also meant more because Holloran, one of the few area high school players lately who decided to stay home and attend GW, was the hero. Four years ago, GW and Catholic were the only schools who thought Holloran was a college - caliber player. Now, GW says it wouldn't trade him for any guard in the country.
"I always thought he was going to be a good college player," said Schneider, "but who could envision him getting 28 points one day at Maryland? I figured he was good for 14 or 15 points a game in college. He's amazed all of us."
Schneider first knew Holloran at Chevy Chase playground. "I burned his eyes out in a game one day," said Holloran, skinny ninth-grader at the time. "I hit four straight over him." Schneider wound up seeing almost every game Holloran played his senior year at St. John's smilling to himself every time because no other school seemed particularly interested in him.
"He could always shoot," said Schneider. But now he has become the complete player. Last year against Maryland, he had two points and seven turnovers in the first half and 19 points in the second. He was in and out. This year, he knows his role."
That role, simply put, is to shoot. "The other guards shoot when they are open," Holloran said. "I take the tough shots. It took me eight games this year to realize that was my role, but I'm comfortable doing it now.
The result is the performance of Saturday night: 16 of 24 from the floor, six of six from the foul line, eight assists and three steals.

1/02/2023 12:39 pm  #198

A great game in Colonial history, bookended by Mo Creek and team four decades later.
Good find!

1/02/2023 12:54 pm  #199

LSF and I were at Cole that day too. A great performance by Holloran.

1/02/2023 1:02 pm  #200

Board footera