GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/21/2019 1:30 pm  #21

Re: GW vs Harvard Game Thread

Javier gets a lot of rebounds only to have them pulled from his hands. Pretty weak guy.

12/21/2019 1:36 pm  #22

Non-Byron Kerr announcer mentioned it but we haven't had a strong interior for quite some time.  Wish we could get 1-2 guys like Lewis who could bang down low.

12/21/2019 1:38 pm  #23

15 down. can't figure out zone can't hit free throws not good

12/21/2019 1:46 pm  #24

Well, GW on the Charles is a jock-focused school with questionable academics, kind of the northeast´s UNLV.
FT shooting is poor, no interior defense and limited offensive rebounds. That leads to this kind of a second half.

12/21/2019 3:05 pm  #25

GW played a great first half. They keep getting better, but they’re not there yet...

12/21/2019 5:43 pm  #26

One team shot 3s, the other team shot layups and dunked.   When we were able to hit 60 per cent in the first half, we were able to stay with them, even lead, even though outplayed.  When our 3 pointers stopped falling in the 2nd half, we were blown out. While not terribly big, Harvard did a fabulous job of exploiting us inside.  It was a great game plan for them.   Didn’t help missing all those FTs, but that wasn’t reason we lost .   The better team won the game v

12/21/2019 6:48 pm  #27

Armel Potter, what a huge game, incredible stretch of games from Armel.

22 points 10 assists on 9-13 shooting, incredible stuff.  
18 points for Jamison Battle, 4 more 3's for JB.

12/21/2019 7:29 pm  #28

I was actually expecting somewhat of a letdown performance given the time off, so maybe the low expectations made me think we played pretty well for the most part given the competition. Despite the scoring drought in the second half, I thought we did well offensively for the most part (of course always nice when the threes fall). We had our third highest scoring total of the season after Evansville and Howard. We put up enough points to get a win. Turnovers were mentioned by the announcers several times during the game, but we committed just 9 total so I don't think it was a huge problem. Free throw shooting was surprisingly off - we've been solid there, but JNJ undershot all of his free throws, and the team as a whole seemed a bit off, which I'll say had to do with some of the time off. Harvard was simply the better team in this one.

The two points I do want to bring up though is 1) defense and 2) depth.

We were completely overpowered by Lewis, and had no answer for him. We did well to run their guards off the three point line, but this felt like a repeat of the Morgan State game. Preventing the three is nice, but is allowing an easy shot near the rim that much better? Again, we don't have a rim protector and I thought we would have learned from our previous mistakes the last time AT was close to fouling out/not in the game. Surprised by the lack of trust in Javier with just 3 minutes of action. I mean, he wasn't going to be able to stop Lewis by any means, but just having the size alone out there would have been nice. Harvard had a dunk contest out there. Ace did a fine enough job, but it somehow feels like the trust in Javier has disappeared - earlier in the season he was second in line after AT, especially when Toro was out with injury. Would have liked us to switch up schemes a bit more and use zone some, which would be my main criticism. Hats off to Lewis though - he's a great player. Even after we double teamed him he would find Forbes for a dunk, or another Harvard player. This is what you'd expect from a team with so much experience. Thankfully, should we face Harvard again next year Aiken, Bassey, Juzang, Lewis, and Baker will all be graduated. Have to find a way to turn teams over a lot more - Harvard doesn't have a reputation for being so sound with the ball, but they coughed it up just six times today. All of this doesn't matter long term, but the addition of a rim protector is what this team really needs in the future as we continue to play this way to alter shots near the rim. If AT does return next year, we'll use the open scholarship on him, but if he doesn't return I hope we can find an immediately eligible shot blocker. Noel is tall, but I don't think a freshman will change our fortunes next year.

The other thing as mentioned is depth. It almost feels unfair that Harvard has about 20 players that they can use at their disposal at any point as it can keep guys fresh over the course of the game. Given the damage Lewis did in the game you'd think he played the whole game, but he actually played his 26 minute average - yes that's right, he scored 22 points in 26 minutes. In our case, our lack of depth hurt us down the stretch of the game. I'm pretty happy with our starting lineup - I think Armel, JNJ, Maceo, Jamison, and AT is great. But, we need a few more guys to play a decent number of minutes to keep them fresh. I'm concerned about Armel, Maceo, and Jamison in particular being worn down midway through conference season with the number of minutes they're seeing, especially Jack and Battle. In the past five games, Armel has played 40, 39, 37, 37, and 40 minutes. Maceo has played 40 minutes in 4 of the past 6 games. Jamison has played 40 minutes in 3 of the past 5 games. We need to find ways to give these guys breathers here and there. I'm glad we were able to steal some minutes with Shawn at times today. More curious what the status is on Mezie and Amir. Harris was supposed to be re-evaluated after exams. I'd assume Mezie is coming back soon? At least I hope so. Also, Chase is yet to appear in a game again since that 4 minute appearance against Boston U. This is even more important after Juice got knocked out after just 3 minutes of play. The 40 minute games are fine when we have a week off between games, but starting with the Longwood game next week I don't believe we have that much time in between games moving forward, so minutes will need to be monitored.

Also, the refs were lousy. Between this game and the Delaware one, the refs are not giving us home calls. That needs to change.

Player Breakdown:
AT - looked more like the BU AT than the Delaware AT, partly because of foul trouble. His rebounding is always appreciated, but he needs to learn to finish off some plays offensively. Armel gives him 3-4 easy baskets per game that he fails to convert - imagine how many double doubles Potter would have had by now. It's funny how he's able to finish shots where he is fouled - almost like it improves his precision when he's hit on the arm which is funny. For us to win games though, we need him to stay on the floor closer to 30 minutes. Also, he should not attempt any mid-range shots as that's not his game.

Jamison - I think his performance offensively will quiet the assertion that he is a one dimensional player. Battle converted on some nice pull-up jumpers, including a very tough one along the baseline. While he didn't convert on some shots close to the hoop (a bit rushed) the attempts are a good sign moving forward. Wasn't very good defensively though, and had two bad turnovers, one where the ball was knocked out of his hands by Haskett and another where he quite literally let the ball slip out of his hands into a Harvard player's hands. Still, a decent game all things considered.

Maceo - was hot in the first half, but unfortunately was a relative non-presence in the second. I guess that is to be expected with the volume of threes he's going to take each game, but it would have been nice to see him get to the hoop a bit more after halftime to have more of an impact on the game. Getting to the line would be nice as he's great from there.

JNJ - minus the undershot free throws, looked pretty good offensively. Looked much better on his threes, all which seemed nothing but net. Usually good for one intercepted pass and score per game.

Armel - continues his stellar play. His ability to blow past guards and get to the rim is much appreciated, and he finally notched his first double double at GW with 22 points and 10 assists (and again, that latter number could be higher with the team helping him out converting on some easy baskets). I'm sure there are other good candidates for most improved player in the A10, but Armel has to be a contender as of now. Like clockwork, he had his three point plays on drives to the hoop which is always fun to see.

Shawn - has a nice free throw stroke, but otherwise didn't do too much. Would have liked to see him for a few minutes at the point - he's done a good job there for stretches this season.

Ace - that saved out of bounds play that led to a Jamison three was really nice, as was the block he had on a Harvard drive to the hoop. Otherwise, not much else to say. Surprised we didn't have a usual play drawn up for him to score underneath - he's usually good for a bucket every game.

Javier - wasn't really in for too long to say much. He somehow missed a really easy shot near the rim, but otherwise not much else.

Juice - I hope he is okay. The number of hits he has taken the past two games is concerning, but his willingness to go all out every time he takes the floor is much appreciated.

Up next is a winnable game against Longwood before we head north to Vermont to finish the year. Envisioning a 6-7 record entering conference play. Hope at least for the Longwood game we are able to play more guys.

12/21/2019 7:53 pm  #29

Agree with DMV’s post.   First half we played about as well as we could (first four minutes and last two were bad, but the other 14 were fantastic).   Of course, it’s easy to look good when the shots are falling. 

Ultimately, though, we got worn down by a bigger, more athletic, deeper team.  It wasn’t even just the size inside, but their size (and athleticism)  on the wings caused us a lot of issues.  Haskett of the bench was really impressive, especially on defense. They were cutting off passing lanes and they were using their wing size to get inside and create all those dunks. 

As others have mentioned, the refs were horrible.  Surprising number of questionable calls that went against us. 

The game was decided when toro got his 4th foul, early in the second half.  As soon as he went out, they just destroyed us inside and on the boards.  We were leading the board battle in the first half.      And the worst part of that is that Toro had no fouls for about 18 minutes, then got a terrible call ticky tack foul, followed by his second a few seconds later.  Then, two quick ones in the second half (one of which was a terrible call).   

I thought the best sign today was Battle going inside the arc multiple times. There was one point late when we went small, where Lewis was on Battle.  Battle drove on him and then pulled up for a 10 footer over the big.   That was a beautiful play, and a good sign for the future.

Last thing - anyone know if Juice is ok?  He took a hard foul and looked to be holding his head.  I hope he’s alright.

12/21/2019 10:36 pm  #30

As I seem to do before every game, I asked about status of Harris and Mezzie.  Harris remains hobbled with knee (meniscus) issues, and for the first time, reference was made to the possibility of medical red shirt.  As for Mezzie, it was once  again a DNP-coaches decision, as the staff thinks there are better options (which to me is saying they just don’t like his game).  I cannot envision Mezzie on the club next season given his current status. Mezzie was dressed tonight and sitting towards end of bench.  For a team that is as physically limited as GW, I don’t understand why a zone is not an option ((it was brutally clear that we lacked the strength to guard Harvard man to man) or why a physically strong player like Mezzie can’t get into  a game in which we were being manhandled in the 2nd half.

12/22/2019 6:31 am  #31

Three players played 40 minutes and  a fourth played 34.  The team collapsed in the last ten minutes since the starters were clearly tired. This is the downside of an extremely short bench.

12/22/2019 6:45 am  #32

Perhaps if Mezzie plays any more, he'll lose this year when he transfers.  Maybe he can get this year back, and have an extra year somewhere else.  Maybe.

12/22/2019 9:14 am  #33

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

As I seem to do before every game, I asked about status of Harris and Mezzie.  Harris remains hobbled with knee (meniscus) issues, and for the first time, reference was made to the possibility of medical red shirt.  As for Mezzie, it was once  again a DNP-coaches decision, as the staff thinks there are better options (which to me is saying they just don’t like his game).  I cannot envision Mezzie on the club next season given his current status. Mezzie was dressed tonight and sitting towards end of bench.  For a team that is as physically limited as GW, I don’t understand why a zone is not an option ((it was brutally clear that we lacked the strength to guard Harvard man to man) or why a physically strong player like Mezzie can’t get into  a game in which we were being manhandled in the 2nd half.

As I understand it, the coaching doesn’t think Mezzie is playing the way they want/ask him to.

Mezzie would not have solved the problems we were having once Toro got in foul trouble.

12/22/2019 9:27 am  #34

I should add, on the question of why don’t we play a zone, that this staff seems heavy into analytics and I think their philosophy is don’t give up 3s. 

But what’s interesting is that we now lead the nation in fewest 3 pt attempts allowed per field goal attempt.  And when teams do shoot 3s, we are contesting them well enough that our 3 pt defensive field goals percentage is 2nd in the nation, with opponents making just 24% against us (and trying threes on just 23.4% of their shots). 

Of course we get killed inside game after game.  Opponents are shooting 50.5% inside the arc, which is only the 225th best 2 or defense. 

The combined result is that our effective FG defense is 103rd in the nation, which is not bad as far I’m concerned, given our personnel challenges this year.  For context, last year we were 196, and the year before 202 (and that was with Yuta’s lockdown d). 

The reason we are only 225th in defense overall is not because we give up open shots, even the ones at the rim.  It’s because we are 339th in the nation In forcing turnovers and 236 in defensive rebounding.    Our opponents simply get too many shots up against us.   

I would love to know our defensive rebounding % with and without toro on the floor.  I bet with Toro it’s not terrible, and our defensive efficiency is much better for it.   

I do think poor rebounding numbers are something JC is willing to live with based on his previous stops,  but  forcing turnovers should improve as we get bigger, stronger, more athletic, and deeper.  Right now we are trading position defense on the perimeter for forcing turnovers,  but I doubt there’s much choice.   You saw yesterday the way Harvard’s size and athleticism and depth on the wings allowed them to pressure the ball for 40 minutes and I suspect that’s where we will be in a couple of years as our guards get bigger, faster and more experience.

12/22/2019 10:08 am  #35

FWIW, a question on zone defense was asked at the pre-game Q&A--and the answer is that you will never see a JC team play zone.  I'm not a coach so I have no idea how much work has to go into making a zone effective, but it really disappointed.  Not only because it seems like a worthwhile option for certain match ups,  but I have a hard time understanding why'd you take any option off the table. 

I do, however, think there's a method to JC's madness.  We went from seeing everyone playing to just a few getting the majority of minutes--probably because they needed to put some W's up on the board to maintain player morale, keep the small, but core fans/supporters from going crazy, and also see how far he can push key players to their limits .   We do know that he prefers an 8-man rotation and I suspect that will entail spreading out the minutes more as the season goes along. 

FWIW, when Toro picked up his first foul with roughly a minute left in the first half, he could have sat Toro for that final minute to ensure that a second foul never occurred .  However, Toro stayed in a got number 2 30 seconds later--necessitating the long hook when he picked up  his 3rd early in the second half.  Close call, but the little things matter!    

12/22/2019 11:13 am  #36

Free...Toro wasn't particularly effective through most of the game, even when he wasn't in foul trouble.  There may have been one ticky tack foul called on Toro away from the basket, but basically, he could not stop their bigs (nor could he score inside himself despite some pretty easy opportunities).  Once Lewis and to a lesser extent Baker had the ball down low, it was a basket.  We needed someone physical enough to deny them the inside position.   We tried Juice, but that didn't work.  Even before he went down with an injury, he picked up 3 fouls in 3 minutes, and neither scored nor had any rebounds.  Mezzie, as a bit of a wide body himself, may have helped.  (Not that Baker was a wide body...he was like 6;11" and weighted like 120 pounds).   Maybe even more Javy.   They could not have done worse than what was on the court.  There is an old saying to the effect that if nothing you are doing is working, try something different.  Seems pretty basic that when you are repeatedly beaten inside, you pack in a zone and let them beat you from outside.   We could not guard them man to man...when we helped through the double team, Harvard did a very good job of finding the open man.   FYI...I am not crazy about the use of Battle and especially Maceo for 40 minutes.    OK....when Battle isn't hitting his 3s, he can rebound a bit, but with Jack...he is the ultimate one trick pony and when his shot is not falling, he doesn't seem to bring much of anything else to the table.   His hitting those 3 or 4 three pointers in a few minute span in the first half was a thing of beauty (and in my opinion the reason we were able to maintain a small lead throughout the first half despite being outplayed in nearly every other aspect of the game).  But he played 40 minutes, and was not productive for most of that time.   We shot 6-10 in the first half from the 3, which is the equivalent of shooting 90% from the 2.   We were not going to maintain that pace...as a team, we shoot the 3 at 30%,  

12/22/2019 8:38 pm  #37

LSF, we were winning before Toro got in foul trouble. 

While hot shooting contributed to the lead and then was offset by poor shooting, Toro’s presence forced Harvard to respect the inside at least a little bit.  To me, that contributed to the number of open shots while he was playing,, even if Toro didn’t play his best (we could have been up by more if he didn’t miss multiple easy opportunities underneath).   But it’s also accurate that we out rebounded them before toro got in foul trouble, but got smoked on the boards after- and that was definitely a factor in the second half.

12/22/2019 9:35 pm  #38

Thanks for the update on Amir/Mezie LSF. Disappointed to hear about the status of Harris, but I'd rather we have a healthy season with him playing than rushing him back and risking a setback. Hoping Mezie is able to get back in the rotation, but to be honest he hasn't looked like a great fit in the system, at least so far.

According to the hatchet recap of the game, JC says he wants to keep the top guys in the rotation at around 32 minutes a game which sounds reasonable to me. I get that maybe we don't have enough guys ready to play meaningful minutes right now as rotations tighten. Hopefully next season this won't be as much of an issue, specifically for Jamison and Maceo with guys like Sloan, Tyler, and Lincoln coming in who can hopefully shoot the three at a decent clip (Sloan of course is proven in that regard).

When it comes to the defense, I'm fine with the excuse that maybe the personnel does not allow us to generate more steals/force turnovers right now, especially since one of the few JC guys who plays consistent minutes right now (JNJ) is easily the best at generating steals here and there on the team. We are currently last in the A10 in steals per game, but I expect that to improve next year.

While I do think we should be able to switch schemes based on personnel/trends during the game (I'm surprised JC doesn't elect to play zone a little more to change things up, especially given his history of not valuing defensive rebounding all that much) I do think our current strategy could work long term. I'm thinking from the context of what UC Irvine has done for a while now on the defensive end at a smaller scale, which is to run guys off the three point line, but have a few intimidating guys at the hoop who would take away shots at the rim, and force the opposition to take more shots in the midrange. The only thing though is that we haven't really shown a desire to recruit big guys too much so far. I'm not saying to the degree that UC Irvine does, but we should have a few options who have the ability to alter shots down the road. That's really the only concern I have long term (and it might be a non-problem in the future). JC wants taller players in general, and that will also help, but I think we should focus specifically underneath.

As it stands otherwise, I envision us trying to win in a lot of shootouts as teams score at will near the hoop, and at least this year's team just simply will not be able to make shots consistently for that to work. We might be able to get away with that against poor offensive teams, but the better ones like Harvard will punish us for it. JC has stated that he is still learning to play through the post, and I wouldn't be surprised if he makes some changes there on the defensive end to in the future. AT and Javier are serviceable defenders (especially AT when not in foul trouble), but these guys aren't really who you want anchoring the paint. 

12/23/2019 11:34 am  #39

Years ago, Duke was struggling in a Final 4 game and when the game reached halftime, Coach K sprinted to one of the referees and put his arm around him as they walked to the locker rooms.  Another coach watching from the stands pointed this out to his companion and said something along the lines of "Mike has him exactly where he wants him."

Tommy Amaker not only played for Coach K but spent nearly ten seasons with him as a graduate assistant and subsequently, an assistant coach.  There's no doubt that Amaker learned quite a bit about coaching from his one-time mentor.

One such lesson must be to kill the refs with kindness.  Before the start of Saturday's game, Amaker greeted all three referees but one in particular seemed to be an unusually friendly hello.  The two men embraced, not for a quick second or two that commonly takes place, but for between 5 and 10 seconds.  The two looked like very good friends who hadn't seen one another in a while or maybe they were the presidents of each other's mutual respect society.  It was noticeable enough that I pointed it out to my companion and suggested we keep an eye on this ref.

To be completely fair, GW deserved to lose this game even if it had been called perfectly.  One more time, GW did not lose this game because of the officiating.  Harvard was often able to play 6' 11" Robert Baker, 6'9" Chris Lewis and 6'8" Mason Forbes two at a time, and the trio combined to shoot 18-24 while grabbing 16 rebounds.  To match up properly, we would almost have to play AT and Ace together, or AT and Javier together, and we'd simply give up too much on the offensive end for this to be plausible.  

Also in all fairness, each of the three officials made regrettable calls.  Yet, the pivotal call in this game was AT's 4th foul.  Whatever contact AT may have had which could only be considered minimal at the worst, it by no means impeded the progress of the Harvard player as he attempted to post up.  And that is what the ref needs to be looking for here, not whether the defender touches the opposing player but whether he impedes his progress towards making his desired move.  In this case, a long lob pass was thrown and the Harvard player was well on his way towards catching the pass in the low post when the whistle was blown.  At the time of the call, the margin was 1 point and the rebounding margin was practically even as well.  The game truly flipped on this one call.  And I probably don't have to tell you that it was Amaker's "buddy" who made the call.

I would not mind seeing a rule where refs and coaches are not allowed to have any contact with one another, period.  We already know that a coach can not touch a ref in anger; why not let the reverse be true as well?  Get all of the hugs and fist bumps out of the way in the locker room area where the public can't witness it.  Maybe I've watched a few too many Duke games (and now, Coach K protege games), but this really does not have a good look to it.  

What needs to be understood is that referees are human beings too.  They can and do make mistakes and most of these are likely to be completely innocent.  However, like a home crowd is often supposed to influence officiating even if in a somewhat subliminal manner, so too are personal relationships that a coach may have with a ref.    A referee can easily be favoring one team whose coach he knows and likes very much over another team whose coach he doesn't know personally (or doesn't like), and not even know that he's doing it.

It just sickens me to watch refs pal around with a coach before a game.  It creates an appearance of impropriety which is completely needless in sports. 

12/23/2019 11:39 pm  #40

I totally agree with Gwmayhem, though I didn't see the long referee embrace with Amaker. What I did see was a game where for the first 19 minutes they "let 'em play" near the basket, then all of a sudden Toro is called for 2 fouls with minimal contact in the last 70 seconds of the half. In the 2nd half he picked up two more fouls quickly and the last call was ridiculous. I don't think GW would have won but we had no chance with AT on the bench.

Board footera