GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2022 4:23 pm  #61

Re: GW's NIL Collective: Friends of George + General Discussion

Part of me says this shouldn't make much of a difference.   The kids that are signing with the Dukes and Kansas' of the world aren't choosing them over us because of the money.   Still, I can't believe that paying kids huge sums of money, especially combined with the relaxed transfer rules, isn't going to severely hurt any competitive balance and destroy any concept that this is amateur basketball, which has always been the appeal of the game to me.   

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (6/11/2022 4:27 pm)

6/11/2022 4:46 pm  #62

LSF nails it.
At least technically, players were students and some even talked about academics in choosing a school.
And a point of pride before we started turning over the roster a few years back--and even during it,was that GW offered good academics and a great location. And our players were,and so far are, real students.
   So far,the A-10 is not a major factor in at least the public part of this race to destroy even the lip service of college student amateurism. We're not going to have entire six-figure NIL rosters for awhile in the A-10.
  But for the haves in college sports, the floodgates have been opened. What makes this different from the GLeague,outside of better pay and working conditions for the "job"?
  Again,as LSF points out,what little pleasure you took from seeing at least supposed student amateurs compete appears to be circling the drain.
  Thanks,NCAA for this,as usual, well thought out and workable solution that benefits all schools and college athletes.

6/11/2022 6:06 pm  #63

Thank you jf.   I wish there was a better solution, as the kids should arguably be compensated for the revenue they generate for others (beyond the price of admission to the games).   Lots of people make lots of money off of the efforts of the player/athletes and although it is true that they are benefiting in terms of scholarship, room and board, there was still an imbalance.  Maybe the solution would be to end age restrictions in the NBA, so coming out of HS, the kids have a choice between turning pro and making the money or going to college and getting a free education.   But  a world of paid student athletes can't end well for schools like GW,

6/12/2022 2:58 pm  #64

GW0509 nails it--we can't compete with the top schools, but can we compete with other mid-majors and within our conference? .  A kid is going to consider his opportunities to make $10, 15, 25k per year--and if you land a kid who is successful, you better be prepared to compete to keep him when other NIL collectives start dangling more money. 

What I wonder about long-term compared to football, is whether MBB can generate the same level of dollars and interest if the magic of underdog March  Madness runs becomes purely illusory.  Will you ever see the George Masons, St Peters, or even pre-big time Butlers make a serious run is the talent gaps between the P5+ and mid-majors grows even larger.  Indeed, it's not the Kansas/Oklahomas I worry about--it's everyone else in the P5+ (e.g., Washington State, Nebraska, Clemson, Vanderbilt, Stanford) with large collectives  who will take some talent with money available who otherwise might have gone to a mid-major.   

Last edited by Merrick (6/12/2022 3:02 pm)

6/13/2022 9:16 am  #65

I'll echo the sentiment. How we stack up against other A10 schools, and to a lesser extent, other higher echelon mid-major schools, ought to be our genuine concern.  There are two things worth noting about this.

1) To some extent, this apples to oranges dilemma has been in effect well before NIL was established.  Can GW realistically compete on the basis of facilities, coaches (if you subscribe to the theory that a better compensated coach will likely be a more successful one more often than not), recruiting budgets, and perks like charters against the public school with a thriving alumni base that prioritizes basketball (VCU), the sizable metro area school with no real sports entertainment options in the area during the college basketball season aside from NHL hockey (SLU),  or an unofficial college basketball mecca who hosts the First 4 annually, plays in a 14,000 seat arena which often sells out, and is really the only game in town for sports entertainment (Dayton)?  If I were to speculate, I'd ask whether these competitive advantages go beyond the items I mentioned.  If Will Wade routinely paid players to play for him at LSU, can one say with absolute certainty that this practice did not go on while he was with VCU?  As we've begun to see at places like Arizona, Kansas and LSU, the business of pay-for-play certainly predates NIL.  Sure, there was a point where I might have said that even if this goes on among some or many major conference schools, it just doesn't happen in the A10.  Today, I've done a 180.  There is pressure to win at virtually all levels, certainly among schools in a multibid league.  If a midmajor has the booster support to pull this off, why wouldn't they, particularly when looking to their left and right only to find their neighbors doing the same thing?

On a separate point, The Athletic had an interesting analysis on transfers last week.  They grouped the A10 with a few other conferences, referring to them as midmajor+ conferences (the better midmajors).  They identified 25 players who transferred from a midmajor+ to a high major program, and found that something like 21 or 22 of these players saw both their playing time and their scoring averages go down.  (Interestingly, their efficiency ratings often went up because they went from having the ball in their hands nearly every possession to this not being the case at the higher program.)  Nothing shocking about this except to point out that perhaps the grass isn't always greener on the other side.  It should be noted that some players may still find that their "up-transfers" were more than worthwhile given perhaps a more realistic chance at winning a national championship/advance further in the tournament or the allure of NIL money (or a greater amount of NIL money). 

6/13/2022 11:53 am  #66

Taking cash payouts from under-the-table to out in the open was all that was changed by the NIL rules. Instead of creating a revenue sharing model that assured athletes their fair share of the pie, we have just a less-clandestine system of slush fund payouts to perceived stars. All that has changed is that U$C football and Loserville basketball no longer have to pretend that they are not handing out wads of cash to players. But they remain unhindered by a salary cap or a requirement to disclose finances so that all athletes get a percentage of the take.
Since GW is not in the buying recruits business, this won´t make too much of a difference. It will just widen the gap between the amoral "big boys" and the Universities that want to offer sports-- which is probably what the shoe companies, TV networks, athletic honchos and NCAA money-grubbers wanted.

6/13/2022 4:59 pm  #67

Gwmayhem wrote:

On a separate point, The Athletic had an interesting analysis on transfers last week.  They grouped the A10 with a few other conferences, referring to them as midmajor+ conferences (the better midmajors).  They identified 25 players who transferred from a midmajor+ to a high major program, and found that something like 21 or 22 of these players saw both their playing time and their scoring averages go down.

Of course Jamison had to be one of the few guys that saw both playing time and scoring average increase moving up (I'm happy for him though).

9/01/2022 10:44 am  #69

Thanks for posting, Keith.  Seems like a win/win situation.  The Athletes make what I hope is a resonable profit and the program gets promoted through the gear it sells.   Where can I go buy my Keegan Harvey shirt?

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (9/01/2022 10:50 am)

11/11/2022 10:28 am  #70

https://fogcollective.com/about/

Friends of George was created with one mission in mind – to empower George Washington student-athletes to achieve their greatest potential in the classroom, on the playing field, and in life. With the passing of legislation allowing student-athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness, Friends of George leverages the collective power of the alumni and fans to equip student-athletes with the tools and resources necessary for them to excel both during and beyond their time in Washington, DC. More importantly, we seek to help student-athletes to use NIL to maximize its impact on the community, and to do so the right way, without ever compromising the values of the university and the legacy of all those who have wore the buff and blue in the past in the past.

Here is the official release from the school: 
https://gwsports.com/news/2022/11/11/general-gw-athletics-jumps-into-nil-space-with-support-from-friends-of-george.aspx

Last edited by GW0509 (11/11/2022 11:31 am)

11/11/2022 10:39 am  #71

Done

11/11/2022 12:13 pm  #72

Well, that's a start.  I have no idea about the founder, his business reputation, or the financial structure of the collective.  Aahil may be a whiz kid and is due reasonable compensation for his work, but his searchable credentials online are thin and I'd think many would want to see a business plan before providing any funding.  What type of work does the NBA or NBAPA do before agents are certified?  I'd certainly appreciate the thoughts of others if they know more.    

11/11/2022 12:42 pm  #73

Done

11/11/2022 1:32 pm  #74

Done

11/11/2022 9:04 pm  #75

What are you all doing that results in "done"? I don't really see an ask in the press release. Happy to help out!

I'm glad to see this, but it's pretty confusing to me. How does the NFT thing work? I don't quite get that part. And I guess there are a couple businesses listed at the end, but I thought it was something where the students appear in ads or something? Maybe I'm just not that clear on how NILs work.

Last edited by squid (11/11/2022 9:05 pm)

11/11/2022 9:20 pm  #76

Ah, the site explains more about how it works https://fogcollective.com

So you can do a one time donation or a monthly donation.

11/11/2022 9:20 pm  #77

Ok—i could not access site earlier, but they’ve got legit folks on thé Board.  In general, an NIL collective cannot have an official connection with the university—but exist to provide more depth in NIL deals for student athletes.  This is great news to get off the ground!

And no e win tonight!

Last edited by Merrick (11/11/2022 9:22 pm)

11/12/2022 11:53 am  #78

Thanks for sharing, subscribed. 

1/12/2023 12:41 am  #79

Just got my regular donation email. Has anybody heard anything from FOG? I'm excited to see what the student athletes are getting to do (and hopefully making some money)

1/12/2023 10:05 am  #80

Notwithstanding the announcement, my understanding was that a lot of organizational work remained—including governance documents and ensuring fiduciary obligations could be met. Don’t know where they stand and have not heard anything since December.

Board footera