GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2023 5:22 pm  #21

Re: GW vs Saint Louis Game Thread

GW73 wrote:

DC Native wrote:

Bad habits showing up, both offense and defense. On offense, it’s not because they’re shooting 3s, but because they’re shooting bad 3s…

Same difference

No, its not. When you shoot a three on a fast break with no one to rebound, that’s a bad three. When you shoot an off balance three from NBA range because the shot clock is at one second, that’s a bad three. But if someone drives to the basket and the defense collapses and the player passes out for a wide open three, that’s a good three.

1/14/2023 5:27 pm  #22

Sorry! I  guess that means we don’t take good 3 pt shots. We are a bad 3 pt shooting team.

1/14/2023 5:30 pm  #23

Even the  time keeper is bad today.

1/14/2023 5:31 pm  #24

GW73 wrote:

Sorry! I  guess that means we don’t take good 3 pt shots. We are a bad 3 pt shooting team.

Bishop shot 45% from three in our first three A10 games. What’s more likely, that he has forgotten how to shoot the three or is taking lower percentage shots?

1/14/2023 5:46 pm  #25

Had these guys on the ropes twice and got away from it both times. Oh well.

1/14/2023 5:48 pm  #26

DC Native wrote:

GW73 wrote:

Bishop shot 45% from three in our first three A10 games. What’s more likely, that he has forgotten how to shoot the three or is taking lower percentage shots?

Check Bishop’s season percentage and last  season

1/14/2023 7:32 pm  #27

Several times now we’ve come out of a good first half only to lay down at the start of the 2nd. Keeping an eye on this and hope CC can figure out a better halftime plan of attack.

1/14/2023 7:51 pm  #28

Thought the game was winnable with Collins out. SLU clearly does not have experience playing without him, but they weren't particularly impressive in the game without him - had we scored just 1 point per possession in the 10 minutes after halftime, we still win the game. We know this GW team is streaky from 3, but this might have been the first game where we truly settled for too many of them. The Bishop corner three when we were down four late comes to mind. No reason JB should be taking 15 threes unless he's having a ridiculously strong shooting day. Probably true for any player who has come through the program recently except maybe Jamison and that would be high number of attempts for him too. Thought CC shouldn't have waited for the media timeout when we got down early because things were only continuing to spiral, but we also didn't really get into the offense until the last quarter of the game which was confusing. It was a very strange game in general - we somehow still managed to put up 35 points after halftime despite not scoring for like 10 of the 20 minutes.

Thought the energy level was also not there, especially coming out of halftime. With seemingly one player going down every week, it's hard to even blame players if it's due to fatigue. It's why the defense isn't even worth mentioning for the rest of the year. This team has to outscore the other team to pick up a win. Perkins and Pickett could go one-on-one all day for obvious reasons. We were continuing to go underneath screens but I did see a slightly better effort trying to go around them in the second half.

Max is providing excitement for next season - I know he sat out all of last year but he makes better decisions than the average freshman, whether it be making the extra pass, crashing the glass, or making the open shot.

Interesting that Hunter sat for stretches in the second half even when foul trouble was no longer an issue. Maybe it was a matchup thing, and that Noel was having a strong game. Brown was the other bright spot other than Max, but I still feel that Hunter gives the team the best chance of succeeding against a zone defense.

Ricky did do his thing defensively and worked hard on the boards as usual, but he was clearly pressing on offense. In the first possession of the game, he passed up a three on the very first possession of the game only to go back to settling for them later in the contest - a couple which weren't even open. Ricky's performances are so based off his body language, perhaps more than any other player on the team. When he's not on, it's 2x as frustrating because he can get rattled when shots aren't falling or when he's picking up silly fouls. I don't know if there's a solution to that when it happens at this point.

There's a quick turnaround to the Mason game - which is a good thing that the team can move on from this game but also a bad thing because there won't be as much time for the few healthy players left to get the rest they probably need to be 100% all game.

1/14/2023 8:38 pm  #29

Brutal way to come out of the half. Hard to win games when you give up an 18-0 run but have to credit them for sticking in there and making it a game. Nice game by Max and shoutout to Noel Brown who had his best game of the year.

I agree that we took way too many bad 3s but some of those were when we were down big.

I have two BIG negatives from this game:
1. Ricky Lindo has to stop taking 3s. He's our best rebounder and he's a high energy guy. He's shooting less than 25% from 3s now (I think) and we're never able to get anything out of them. His talents are better served boxing out and fighting for an offensive rebound/putback. Caputo needs to tell him to stop patrolling on the perimeter while on offense.

2. Ricky and Hunter were getting burned all game long by Perkins (maybe it was Pickett, I don't recall) on simple pick and roll plays. They weren't athletic enough to stay with him and he burned us for numerous easy buckets at the rim.

Hopefully the guys get some rest because they'll need it for Mason.

1/14/2023 9:51 pm  #30

Very simple analysis...We played like crap in the second half in a game that was ours to win.
-Yoiu can't go scoreless for the first 9 minutes of the 2nd half.
-You can't have Ricky Lindo putting up zero points.  He needs to take the ball to the hoop, not stand in the corner and launch 3s..  His shots weren't even close.  Yes, he had 9 rebounds, but his defense wasn't paricularly good and he was again foul prone.
-you can't have our leading scorer shoot 5-23 (3-15 from the three)
-you can't let the opposition shoot 52.7% from the field and 43.8% from the fieldn nor can you let a player (Perkins) who came into the game averaging under 10 ppg go off for 27.  Could we not come up with a plan on how to guard him?.
-you can't have a bench that consists of 3 scholarship players, one of which playing only 4 minutes.  (I know, nothing we can do about it).
The positives:
-It was a hell of a first half
-Max is a player
-8 points from Brown (although he wasn't really a factor on defense)
We made it exciting down the stretch for a bit, actually pulling within 2 points with time left.  If the defense toughened up, we could have won, instead we let up another 8-0 run and were down 10.and the game was out of reach.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (1/14/2023 9:56 pm)

1/14/2023 10:52 pm  #31

“Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?”

That is, take out the 25-0 run and did pretty damn well against a much more physical and athletic team. Yes, they were without Collins, but if Collins was there they wouldn’t have run the offense through Perkins and Pickett (as for Perkins, pre-season A10 player of the year last year before he got hurt, this was probably the first game since the injury where he truly looked like his old self. Guess with Collins out, he knew he had to step up).

Things I’m happy about from this game:
- Rebounds - we held them to ZERO offensive boards in the first half. I’m sure that was a point of emphasis for SLU in the second half, but we still only gave up 4 in the second half. By percentage, we outrebounded them on both ends.

- Maximus - great to see a freshman have a game like that against a big, athletic team.

-Noel - after that ticky tack call that was Dean’s second, I thought we were toast, but Noel really took it to Okoro and got him in foul trouble.

- Offense - despite the drought, Caputo‘s offense continues to generate good shots. I know having two excellent and experienced guards is a big part of that, but the offense gets much better looks than last year.  Too bad we don’t have a Jameson Battle or some other good shooter out there to make defenses pay for how they guard James and Brendan.

- mental toughness - we fought back from down 17 to cut it to 2.  That was impressive, even if we couldn’t get over the hump.

- Fans - decent atmosphere.  Stadium was fairly loud at times.

Fun game, despite the long drought.  Still trying to enjoy this season for what it is, and looking forward to better days ahead.

1/14/2023 11:03 pm  #32

Free Quebec wrote:

“Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?”

That is, take out the 25-0 run and did pretty damn well against a much more physical and athletic team. Yes, they were without Collins, but if Collins was there they wouldn’t have run the offense through Perkins and Pickett (as for Perkins, pre-season A10 player of the year last year before he got hurt, this was probably the first game since the injury where he truly looked like his old self. Guess with Collins out, he knew he had to step up).

Things I’m happy about from this game:
- Rebounds - we held them to ZERO offensive boards in the first half. I’m sure that was a point of emphasis for SLU in the second half, but we still only gave up 4 in the second half. By percentage, we outrebounded them on both ends.

- Maximus - great to see a freshman have a game like that against a big, athletic team.

-Noel - after that ticky tack call that was Dean’s second, I thought we were toast, but Noel really took it to Okoro and got him in foul trouble.

- Offense - despite the drought, Caputo‘s offense continues to generate good shots. I know having two excellent and experienced guards is a big part of that, but the offense gets much better looks than last year.  Too bad we don’t have a Jameson Battle or some other good shooter out there to make defenses pay for how they guard James and Brendan.

- mental toughness - we fought back from down 17 to cut it to 2.  That was impressive, even if we couldn’t get over the hump.

- Fans - decent atmosphere.  Stadium was fairly loud at times.

Fun game, despite the long drought.  Still trying to enjoy this season for what it is, and looking forward to better days ahead.

Couldn't have said it better all around

1/14/2023 11:24 pm  #33

Stop with the threes--they are a waste of time and effort. The team just can't make them. Part of the problem is that there are simply not enough scorers on this team and shooting threes more often than not are the result of sheer desperation.

1/15/2023 8:00 am  #34

1/15/2023 12:37 pm  #35

On the one hand, I understand that the key to wins this season will be with our offense.  The bench is too thin (and getting thinner by the game apparently) to expect this team to challenge every play and risk getting into foul trouble.  On the other hand, our defense just has to be better than what was on display against SLU.

First, we are constantly getting beat off the dribble.  It's one thing when you can't keep up with another team's quickness but against SLU, it had far more to do with falling for ball fakes.  Second, there was no help defense to speak of and I mean absolutely no help defense.  Again and again, guys were being beat off the dribble and nobody was sliding over to pick the ball handler up.  Again, I realize that the solution isn't to foul in these situations, but to have the other team impersonate a pregame layup line can't be the answer.  Next, there is defending the pick and roll.  First step, guys have to call out screens.  Maybe this was happening but it semed like our guards were running into picks a lot.  Then, and this is critical, when the guard gets picked off, the big man (I feel like I pick on him a lot but it was Noel quite a bit yesterday) must take a step or two up to guard the guy with the ball.  We were giving SLU wide open looks from around the free throw line because nobody was coming out to defend the shooter.

Max and Noel are rightfully to be commended for their offensive games yesterday.  On defense, Max had a very tough assigment in Perkins who played like a man with a child guarding him.  Glad he mightily contributed on offense because there was little he could do on defense.  With Noel, I really think it's an instinctual thing where he is just slow in realizing what he needs to do on defense.  Happy to see him score some points but the defense left a lot to be desired.

On offense, I wish we either had more options to score or tried exercising some more options.  Our chances of winning games are way too contingent upon whether JB and BA are making shots.  I see what other teams do with their motion and cutting leading to easily manufactured points and notice that we do not play like this.  When our guys are on from the outside, it's exciting and fun and yes, we can win.  There just doesn't seem to be a Plan B for this team right now on offense.

1/15/2023 2:32 pm  #36

Did CC get outcoached yesterday? I am no expert in basketball coaching but Travis Ford is a pretty good coach. The way SLU dominated in the second half coming out of halftime, I can't see how CC was not outcoached. Not trying to dump on CC, just wondering.

Would appreciate thoughts on this.

Last edited by Alum '04 (1/15/2023 2:33 pm)

1/16/2023 1:21 am  #37

Alum '04 wrote:

Did CC get outcoached yesterday? I am no expert in basketball coaching but Travis Ford is a pretty good coach. The way SLU dominated in the second half coming out of halftime, I can't see how CC was not outcoached. Not trying to dump on CC, just wondering.

Would appreciate thoughts on this.

Come on. Look at SLU’s roster and look at ours.  I think he did a terrific job to keep us in the game. If you listen to the game, he takes some responsibility, but no we didn’t lose this game because we got outcoached - we just lost to a more athletic, more physical, more experienced team (to quantify it, SLU is 16th most experienced team in the nation per KenPom). There’s a reason they are 81 in KenPom and have wins over Memphis and Providence.

Mayhem, listen to the CC press conference to hear him talk about defense.  Hopefully he’ll fix it as he constructs the team he wants.

Board footera