GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/02/2023 1:44 pm  #1

Next year's team.

Lets discuss (guess) next year's 13 man roster.   I see the defitines as Edwards, Dean, Samuels and Harvey (both of whom would have to sit a year if they stayed) and the 3 frosh.  This would put us at 7.   I cannot see the following players returning although elibible to do so....Bishop (time for him to move on to greener pastures), Brown (who I think will be recruited over) or Nixon (for obviouls reasons).  Assuming we are still in the market for 6 additional players, I expect that some, if not most, will come from the portal.  In this day and age, it would be insane to have 8-9 frosh on a team, not only because who knows how many would return but you cannot win with basically Edwards, Dean, Samuels, Harvey and 9 freshmen.  So maybe 1 or 2 more frosh and 4 portal players,  1 or 2 being graduates with an extra year of eligility and the rest being players with multiple years of eligibility remaining.  It will be a very interesting off season.

2/02/2023 2:06 pm  #2

Re: Next year's team.

Do not assume anyone returns besides Edwards at this point. Dean and Bishop could. So could Harvey and Brown. None are locks.

I think CC will not use all of his spots. He is not bringing in probably more than 3 - 4 portal guys. Might take another 2023 or two. I'd say 4-5 freshmen max plus maybe 3-4 portal guys and hope Bishop/Dean return. That gives you 10-12 scholarship guys. The rest will likely be filled by walk-ons.

2/02/2023 3:52 pm  #3

In an ideal world you'd see Bishop, and Dean both come back. If I were a betting man I'd bet on Bishop leaving and Dean returning. Brown has improved as the season has progressed but still think he leaves.

2/02/2023 4:15 pm  #4

Max seems like the only player sure to come back next year.

Qwanzi is a senior and I'm not sure he's going to return to play such few minutes again if not even fewer next year. Could see him just moving on from CBB after graduating and not using the extra COVID year. I'd be pretty surprised if he comes back but he does provide a good locker room presence.

Hunter is also a senior so it seems like that could be a tossup. Would love to have him back - getting centers that can be productive is a hard ask from the portal or HS ranks.

Keegan has to make major strides in the strength department/defense to be a factor in the future. He may stay because he would otherwise have to sit out if he transfers and I doubt CC would run him off.

I would think JB moves on but he could help bring the incoming guards along next year. From a production standpoint I'm not sure there's a reason for him to come back but could see an unlikely scenario where he works on his three point shot in the offseason and comes back to show he isn't a streaky shooter.

I would like Noel to come back so we have our first four year player come through the program since Juice Williams. I think Brown has improved a lot this year and probably could have been further along had JC not played him such few minutes last year. Also, tough to find a productive big right away.

Daniel I think could just use a change of scenery. Hope things work out for him either way.

GWRising wrote:

I think CC will not use all of his spots. He is not bringing in probably more than 3 - 4 portal guys. Might take another 2023 or two. I'd say 4-5 freshmen max plus maybe 3-4 portal guys and hope Bishop/Dean return. That gives you 10-12 scholarship guys. The rest will likely be filled by walk-ons.

It wouldn't be entirely surprising to see one scholarship left open again but I don't see an argument for why that last spot cannot be filled by a grad transfer from any level. I think we'll see fewer transfers available mid-year to want to leave a spot open during the season, especially from first-time transfers that probably know that they can wait until the year is over, transfer, and still be eligible immediately.

Board footera