GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/31/2019 10:51 pm  #1

Northwestern vs Maryland

It was nice to see Joe's  Northwestern team beat Maryland decisively 81-58.  Near the end of the game was a nice shot of Joe's family.  Those were the days.

1/02/2020 12:11 pm  #2

Re: Northwestern vs Maryland

Those were the days. Nothing like today. Another Nero/Knapp screw-up..  

1/02/2020 3:48 pm  #3

Gotta say, I love Joe too. I enjoyed watching his teams play. But a little perspective here: In his 13 years at Northwestern so far, he has only exceeded .500 in Big Ten play once (46-99 overall). That could likely change this year as he has an experienced squad. 

I'm sure if things don't improve, our sage Athletic Department will do the right thing, but it's too early to panic.

1/02/2020 5:54 pm  #4

But at GW, he did great.  Northwestern is in a tougher league and probably harder to recruit to.  (I guessing at that, but I think it's likely).   He has had 4 20 win seasons at NW.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_McKeown

1/02/2020 8:21 pm  #5

At GW, Joe had an administration comitted to building a winning and showpiece programme. At Northwestern, he has an administation committed to providing top-level care to people with autism. An apples and oranges comparison, but worth noting he was able to make GW a full-time resident of the Top 25.

1/03/2020 4:21 pm  #6

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

At GW, Joe had an administration comitted to building a winning and showpiece programme. At Northwestern, he has an administation committed to providing top-level care to people with autism. An apples and oranges comparison, but worth noting he was able to make GW a full-time resident of the Top 25.

That is now less of an issue as his son lives in Cleveland. GW would do well to try and get him to come back if the opportunity arises. I promise he would get this program turned around quickly. Not sure whether that is even a possibility but hey, we can all hope.

1/03/2020 10:52 pm  #7

Joe was a Big Winner at GW. He could really coach. Would love to have him back. He would always start the season with a top notch schedule playing the best teams in the country. His schedule was always for NCAA seedings because dominating the A10 was a foregone conclusion. 

1/04/2020 2:44 am  #8

Puzzling how poor things have gone at Northwestern

46–99 (.317) in league play.  
It was a program that was not without success too. I thought he'd have been a big hit there since he dominated the A10 in such convincing fashion:
NCAA Tournament Second round1980, 1987, 1991, 1993NCAA Tournament Appearances1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1997, 2015

Board footera