GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2023 1:24 pm  #61

Re: GW vs Rhode Island Game Thread

Dmvpiranha. Your analysis and research are amazing. You put a lot of work into your analysis, and it is very appreciated. What was your major in school? CC should hire you as a coach.

2/23/2023 4:38 pm  #62

Free Quebec wrote:

dmvpiranha wrote:

Hopefully the team comes out motivated after dropping one to La Salle earlier in the year. That may be our best chance to win another game before the conference tournament as I don't see us winning at Davidson (even if the Wildcats are down this year) and especially against VCU. Regardless, this team has a chance against anyone if it's a high scoring affair and they shoot over 50% from the field. It's not a sustainable formula for winning, but this team manages to do that more than the average one.

I actually think Davidson is a better matchup this year for us than LaSalle. We’ve struggled against teams that pressure the ball with quick guards. Davidson is so solid all around, but not quick and don’t pressure the ball. Then again UC San Diego smoked us, so I guess a lot depends on how well the other team shoots.

That's fair! We definitely match up better with their guards but I worry about a guy like Mennenga beating us. Davidson has had a poor season shooting the ball for their standards so it's entirely possible. We have won four conference games on the road (more than expected) so you never know but we haven't won at Davidson in 57 years (December 20th, 1966).

Tennessee Colonial wrote:

Dmvpiranha. Your analysis and research are amazing. You put a lot of work into your analysis, and it is very appreciated. What was your major in school? CC should hire you as a coach.

Thanks TC (and BM + GW0509 earlier in the thread)! I majored in computer science (shoutout to my SEAS people!) so there's not nearly as much writing day-to-day as I do here. I'm sure CC is aware of the team's strengths/shortcomings. It's tough enough as a fan to sit through four OT games - I can't imagine what it's like for the staff.

2/23/2023 11:08 pm  #63

Great work by DMV.
   Another great team effort and ultimate toughness, with an unreal overtime burst. We went away from the great passing (at one point, four or five touches found the open man, which had been a rarity in previous years) in the waning minutes of the game-- and hoisted a few without taking advantage of the clock and the lead. That helped with our slide that led to overtime.
Obviously, Hunter, JB and BA. But Max had some really big shots to keep us in the game and
up at times and made some nice passes, as DMV notes. Ricky, of course, made a difference as usual, even
with the looming and at times unfair threat of foul trouble.
  Amir, as noted by both DMV and CC in the postgame interview, really limited Leggett at times, preventing him from going off even more with tough and close defense. Had a nice layup. But sometimes you can make a real contribution even if you are not scoring big.

Board footera