GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2023 7:38 pm  #261

Re: Other Games Thread

Its been another great yeat for the best non Power 5 programs. 40% of the top 10 of the Net is non Power 5

Gonzaga Houston St Marys UCONN.     All 4 top 10 KenPom AND Net.  

Gonzaga and St Marys play each other this weekend in a top 10 showdown with ESPN gameday in the House

2/25/2023 12:42 am  #262

Lunardi said tonight during the VCU game on ESPN, he now thinks both VCU and Dayton if they win out and lose the A10 Final would be very good at large candidates

2/25/2023 3:56 pm  #263

Another Quad 1 win road win for UCONN, 95-86 
winners of 6 of their last 7

#5 KenPom team in the nation.

An all Hurley brothers sweep on CBS!In act two, Bobby and Arizona St with a 3/4 court buzzer beater to take down #7 Arizona on the road!

Anyone got the video of this? SHOT of the YEAR!!!

Last edited by The Dude (2/25/2023 4:40 pm)

2/26/2023 1:27 am  #264

Gonzaga beat The #6 NET team St Marys 77-68.

11 Straight Conference Titles For
Gonzaga 

25 straight NCAA Tourneys

7 straight Sweet 16s.   

2 NCAA Title Apperances

The Most NCAA Tourney wins of the last decade of any program in Nation

Remarkable stuff for a WCC program

Last edited by The Dude (2/26/2023 1:27 am)

2/26/2023 10:27 pm  #265

The GW Trio Strikes again!!!

Huge 19 point comeback road win, in a Quad 1 victory,  for the Banks of the Raritan GW troika!

2/27/2023 9:04 am  #266

The Dude wrote:

Another Quad 1 win road win for UCONN, 95-86 
winners of 6 of their last 7

#5 KenPom team in the nation.

An all Hurley brothers sweep on CBS!In act two, Bobby and Arizona St with a 3/4 court buzzer beater to take down #7 Arizona on the road!

Anyone got the video of this? SHOT of the YEAR!!!

The maestro of misinformation is at it again.  UCONN's win over St. John's was a Q2 win, not a Q1 win.  SJU has a NET ranking of 97.  Good for UCONN though for achieving a season split with the 13 loss Red Storm.  (Side note:  if we become the Blue Fog, wouldn't it become essential that we play the Red Storm annually?)

To get as many things incorrect as The Dude does, I have to wonder which is the case:

a) He's just empty-headed and very innocently gets many things wrong
b) He's too lazy to look things up so he just spits out things that "sound right" to him, realizing that there aren't any ramifications each time he posts inaccurate information
c) He's a conscious liar who knows very well what the truth is but lies to fitr his own warped agenda

Maybe this could become an off-season poll question? 

2/27/2023 1:08 pm  #267

Granted the blood runs very blue in Kansas but gotta give Bill Self some shine

24-5 with 15 Quad 1 wins.....15!

2/28/2023 1:34 pm  #268

RIP Terry Holland

UVA had been a pinata of a program for decades before Holland

What a job he did first establishing the program into a national powerhouse

From zero NCAA Tourney appearances in their history  to an 80s juggernaut, remarkable program building by Holland

Last edited by The Dude (2/28/2023 2:13 pm)

3/01/2023 7:23 pm  #269

UConn ahead 28-2.  

This is a Big East game, with one team up 28-2 on the other 

3/02/2023 10:17 pm  #270

Illinois beats Michigan, in what looked like a must win for Michigan, who is hanging barely onto the edge of the bubble.

Things already trending down for Juwan Howard at Michigan, Beilein had brought them to two recent NCAA Finales 

Howard won big, to wrap up their league title, GW beat Howard 85-75 this year, Howard's program is taking light year steps under Kenny Blakeney

Last edited by The Dude (3/03/2023 12:11 am)

3/03/2023 6:34 pm  #271

HUGE weekend...somewhat quiet Friday night

Really good game between two very good teams on ESPNU.   Kent State, an excellent team vs their rival Akron, Kent State is led by A10 transfer Sincere Carey.   He's about to win back to back MAC players of The Year crowns.

What a player he is, that's the kind of transfer that hurts our league. Went back home to Ohio which you can understand, like Battle back home to Minnesota. 

Put Sincere back on Duquense and they may well be dancing, surely a bubble team with Carey back in the fold.

(they might be Dancing anyway, they look like a real shot at A10 Tourney champs)

3/04/2023 3:20 pm  #272

In a Sun Belt women’s tourney game, ODU ran the Karl Hobbs play to perfection. 

Up 84-83 with lime 4 seconds left, put 6 players on the court.  Refs didn’t see it, one of course got free for a layup to end the game 86-83.  Should have been two shots and the ball for Troy and probably a win.  Troy lodged a protest but apparently 6 on the court not reviewable in the Sun Belt so ODU advances.

Also, Mason blows an 18 point lead, then with the game tied and Richmond ball, they get a pick six for a game winner with 2 seconds left over Richmond.   

Duq currently down 13 at Fordham, so we still have hope for the 6 seed with a miracle upset.

3/04/2023 5:07 pm  #273

Free Quebec wrote:

In a Sun Belt women’s tourney game, ODU ran the Karl Hobbs play to perfection.

Up 84-83 with lime 4 seconds left, put 6 players on the court. Refs didn’t see it, one of course got free for a layup to end the game 86-83. Should have been two shots and the ball for Troy and probably a win. Troy lodged a protest but apparently 6 on the court not reviewable in the Sun Belt so ODU advances.

Silly FQ, that only gets called against the team playing Dayton!

3/04/2023 7:32 pm  #274

Texas annihilates Kansas

Texas putting together a compelling 1 seed resume

3/04/2023 10:45 pm  #275

UConn beats Villanova on the road, for another Quad 1 win,  71-59 UConn victory.

The big road victory elevates  24-7 UConn into the top 4 KenPom. Winners of 8 of their last 9 games.

Houston Alabama UCLA and UConn 1 through 4 in the Nation.

Last edited by The Dude (3/05/2023 12:01 am)

3/06/2023 9:06 am  #276

Conference tournaments started last week with a few teams punching their ticket to the NCAA tournament over the weekend:

Atlantic Sun: Kennesaw State secured their first ever bid to the dance with a 67-66 victory over Liberty, the conference heavyweight. Amir Abdur-Rahim has been nothing short of fantastic turning around a team that went 1-28 just three seasons ago. I wonder if he's a candidate for the Georgia Tech job. He's certainly deserving of promotion.

Big South: Speaking of coaches who have done great jobs, Mike Morrell took over a UNC Asheville team that went 4-27 in his first year and four years later has the Bulldogs back in the tournament. ETSU has been garbage recently so maybe that's a landing spot for Morrell should he move on (SoCon is a step up from the Big South). 7th seed Campbell nearly did the impossible and won four games in five days but ran out of gas down the stretch coupled with a hot streak from UNCA player Tajion Jones. Campbell runs the Princeton offense which is very effective. The Fighting Camels are off to the CAA next year. I don't think UNCA has true upset potential, but they do have some size down low with Tennessee transfer Drew Pember.

Missouri Valley: All Darian DeVries does is win, as he secured his fifth straight 20 win season at Drake and the school's second NCAA bid in the past three years. Despite being a two seed in the conference tourney, their collective experience makes them an intriguing pick in a round of 64 game depending on the matchup. I believe I saw a graphic that said Drake's starting 5 is older than a couple NBA teams which is crazy. The Bulldogs knocked off the top seed Bradley in the finals. DeVries is an Iowa native, but I don't see either P6 job in the state opening unless Fran McCaffery leaves for another job like Notre Dame. Maybe Minnesota might be an option as well.

Ohio Valley: 5th seed Southeast Missouri State secured their first bid in 23 years, knocking off 2nd seed Tennessee Tech in overtime (a team that hasn't made the big dance since 1963). I actually caught a part of the game towards the end and it was absolutely crazy. TTU thought they had won at the buzzer but their guy had a toe on the line sending the game to overtime. SEMO is probably a 16 seed in the tournament as the OVC was gutted following the departures of Belmont and Murray State to the MVC.

A few championships coming up in the coming days:

NEC: Merrimack and Fairleigh Dickinson face off Tuesday. Merrimack is ineligible for the tournament because the NCAA is stupid so FDU is in the field regardless of what happens. I mentioned Abdur-Rahim and Morrell as coaches who have done great jobs at their respective schools but Tobin Anderson may have done the best job of the three. Fairleigh Dickinson won 4 games all of last year and was in complete shambles. Anderson arrives and in year 1 wins 19 games and gets them to the tournament. Their team lost a close game to Loyola and beat St. Joe's outright during OOC play. I think the main takeaway is that more teams in small conferences should hire successful coaches from the D2 ranks. Joe Gallo has also done a good job at Merrimack and deserves to be in line for a slightly better job regionally - maybe Holy Cross or New Hampshire.

Patriot: Colgate and Lafayette square off in the championship. Not much to say here other than it would be absolutely stunning if Toothpaste U manages to lose to the Leopards. Lafayette has had a roller coaster of a season under Mike Jordan (not that one). Funnily enough, Jordan was an assistant at Colgate for a number of years. Unfortunately, there were abuse allegations earlier in the season and he has not coached recently. It's even more incredible that Lafayette has stayed afloat despite that - they did lose a close game to St. Joe's in OOC play and beat La Salle by 25. It's all about the 'gate though. I'm not sure what job Matt Langel is holding out for. Seems like St. Joe's isn't ready to move on from Lange yet - maybe Temple?

SoCon: There's a rematch in the championship game here as Furman takes on Chattanooga in Asheville. The Paladins are the favorite and have not made the tournament since 1980. They will be plenty motivated against the Mocs having lost to them at the buzzer in last year's final. 'nooga is a different team when Jake Stephens is in the lineup and he should play in today's game. With Lamont Paris taking the South Carolina job, the Mocs hired Dan Earl from VMI (a coach that stays in conference doesn't happen too often but it's a significantly better job). Chattanooga isn't very strong defensively so if their threes aren't falling that should make it Furman's game but the Paladins have limped to the final, trailing Shawn Walker's Mercer Bears at halftime and needing overtime to take out a Western Carolina team they were beating by 20 earlier.

Sun Belt: Louisiana and South Alabama are the last teams standing in the conference. The Ragin' Cajuns defeated USA in both meetings during the regular season but the Jaguars are entering the final with great momentum. Per Bart Torvik they have played like the 25th best team in the country since late January but a cold start has them as the 8 seed in the tournament. I think either team has a chance to make things interesting in an NCAA game.

A couple more highlights from the past few days:

9th seed Northern Arizona defeated top seed Eastern Washington in Big Sky quarterfinal action. I can't imagine what it's like being an EWU fan that started conference play 16-0 only to lose their last three games at a critical point in the season. At least they get the NIT. Northern Arizona has lost a lot of close games this season so I guess they were due. Montana State, last year's champion, is probably the heavy favorite in the conference now.

My personal favorite highlight (or I guess lowlight) comes from the Mustangs of San Luis Obispo. Cal Poly was down 3 to UC Riverside and their guard lost track of the time/score and went in for a layup. I couldn't stop laughing but also feel for him/team. If there's a silver lining at least it wasn't in the conference tournament because there's probably not a worse way to end a season. The coaches of these two teams are headed in different directions. UCR's coach Magpayo is deserving of promotion while Poly's coach John Smith is probably let go (although I think they've played better than their record suggests). It's just a tough job.

3/06/2023 12:21 pm  #277

DMV-you are a national treasure!Thanks for taking care of us.

3/06/2023 1:01 pm  #278

Fantastic post, DMV.

3/08/2023 1:24 am  #279

DMV, can't top the actual Madness, but Champ Week is a pretty good second best.

Gonzaga won the WCC Title tonight, Saint Mary's came in 6th in KenPom and 8th in Net, it was complete onslaught, 30+ lead throughout the 2nd half.   The Zags looked uncharacteristically ordinary a month ago but have been on fire ever since.   

The UMASS loss to Richmond, one of the better OOCs for the league, they had a bunch of good wins, total collapse down the stretch.  Would be good for the league if Frank Martin rises that program back up

31-3 Charleston is Champs of their league and dancing.  Oral Roberts won too, Max Abmas and company, both teams will be popular picks in round 1 for an upset win.

3/08/2023 8:13 pm  #280

Georgetown is about to play Villanova in the opening round of the Big East tournament on FS1. I'm interested to see if they were inspired by the actions of Syracuse earlier today and get rid of Ewing after Georgetown loses!

Board footera