GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2023 12:09 pm  #1

Oh poop

Hope it doesn't mean what I fear.

Senior day ceremonies will include BA, Bishop, Dean, Lindo, EJ Clark, Amir, Qwanzi, and Theo

Does mention four (I bolded) will have eligibility remaining.

Last edited by BM (3/03/2023 12:11 pm)

3/03/2023 12:24 pm  #2

Re: Oh poop

Am I crazy or didn't Lindo have a Senior Day ceremony last year?

3/03/2023 12:31 pm  #3

He did.  He wasn't expected back, but CC convinced him.

3/03/2023 2:32 pm  #4

The title of this thread is pretty ironic, considering your handle, BM (LOL).

In all seriousness, I think this is a pretty good indicator that Bishop and Dean aren't coming back. Its too bad, but not surprising.

3/03/2023 2:51 pm  #5

I don't think this means anything. Wasn't Amir also honored last year? JB, Hunter, Q, and Theo could all theoretically come back as grad students and be honored again next year.

Regardless, the only one I'm watching for is Hunter. I'd be very impressed (and stunned) if we're able to convince JB to not go pro. I just don't see him coming back.

3/03/2023 2:55 pm  #6

Need to get the Student section to chant “1 more year” when Bishop and Dean take the floor.  A little bit of flattery will go a long way.

Bishop will have money waiting for hi. So doubt he will be back.  Dean would benefit from another full year - maybe get his numbers up for an entire campaign to what they have been their last 3 games

3/03/2023 3:15 pm  #7

DC Native wrote:

The title of this thread is pretty ironic, considering your handle, BM (LOL).

In all seriousness, I think this is a pretty good indicator that Bishop and Dean aren't coming back. Its too bad, but not surprising.

I think it's been a decade since someone made that joke.  Lots more popular during the TP years.

At this point I'd be happy to get Qwanzi back.  If all these guys leave, returnees would be Max, Noel, Keegan Harvey and Daniel Nixon.  Wouldn't be surprised if one or more of those four guys transferred out.

3/03/2023 4:49 pm  #8

When you guys talk about JBIV going pro, do you mean NBA or in Europe? Or the G League? Why would he want G League over playing at a much higher profile school?

Last edited by Alum '04 (3/03/2023 4:49 pm)

3/03/2023 5:21 pm  #9

For what it's worth, Jabari Edwards finished up his junior year by missing GW's CBI home game against VCU because he thought the season was over, was on spring break, and could not make it back to campus in time (to be fair, GW was 6-10 in the A10 that season; most would have thought the season was over).  I figured that was it for his time at GW but he did come back and was honored on Senior Day the following season.  And then, Jabari decided to play one more year since his freshman season turned out to be a redshirt season.  Therefore, he participated in a second consecutive Senior Day the following year. 

So Ricky has nothing to feel weird about; Jabari has already established the precedent. 

3/03/2023 6:10 pm  #10

Alum '04 wrote:

When you guys talk about JBIV going pro, do you mean NBA or in Europe? Or the G League? Why would he want G League over playing at a much higher profile school?

Overseas. JB doesn't have the defense and more importantly the three point shooting to make it on an NBA roster. If he wanted to go to a higher profile school he would have done so last year itself but it would have been a terrible decision on his part. I didn't feel the same way about Bamisile because Joe at least had the defensive potential to get minutes at a higher school with some coaching (had he chosen the right place).

Bishop has already experienced being at the higher level and riding the bench at LSU. He has proven production at GW now, but as we've seen with Bamisile if you aren't good enough defensively you won't sniff the court consistently regardless of your scoring abilities. JB's got a good role at GW, why would he leave that for a bit more money and risk wasting a year not playing as much? It's more likely that JB comes back to GW than he transfers up again. I just doubt he will score as much with hopefully a more balanced roster and he could probably make more overseas. Barring a BA-like jump from 3 his final year he's better off starting his pro career (and I say this as someone who would of course love for him to come back). His defense is what it is at this point.

3/03/2023 7:39 pm  #11

Hunter actually has a lot to gain from staying, both in academics and basketball value. Especially basketball value.
As noted above, he's begin to hit stride on the court with some real good (and one stunning) performances, but as noted, above that's in a recent streak. Hunter has a coach who knows how to use him and believes in him.
With a chance to put it all together next season, extend his shooting range a bit, consistent defensive impact, etc., Hunter has a lot to gain in his basketball future from staying at GW. We really need seasoned players at his position, so playing time is not an issue.
   And the academics are alluring, including free tuition toward a graduate degree for life after basketball that will come one day.

3/03/2023 8:11 pm  #12

With so many open spots and potentially a very young team, would also think there is a spot for Amir.  His leadership and defensive intensity in practice may be a good  leader on the court for the freshman

3/04/2023 2:28 am  #13

Here's hoping JBIV decides to pass on European money, since that could very well mean another year at GW.   Agree it very unlikely he goes to another school, and he might decide to try and improve his NBA chances by sticking around and working hard on his defense and ball handling.   While I hope Dean comes back, my candidate for most improved player next year would be Noel.   Just a hunch............

3/04/2023 2:45 am  #14

PKGW wrote:

With so many open spots and potentially a very young team, would also think there is a spot for Amir.  His leadership and defensive intensity in practice may be a good  leader on the court for the freshman

I am almost positive Amir is out of eligibility. He was injured the Covid year, but technically was still a scholarship student so I believe that cancels out the extra year. Essentially he has been a scholarship player now 5-years.

3/04/2023 2:53 am  #15

dmvpiranha wrote:

Alum '04 wrote:

Overseas. JB doesn't have the defense and more importantly the three point shooting to make it on an NBA roster. If he wanted to go to a higher profile school he would have done so last year itself but it would have been a terrible decision on his part. I didn't feel the same way about Bamisile because Joe at least had the defensive potential to get minutes at a higher school with some coaching (had he chosen the right place).

Bishop has already experienced being at the higher level and riding the bench at LSU. He has proven production at GW now, but as we've seen with Bamisile if you aren't good enough defensively you won't sniff the court consistently regardless of your scoring abilities. JB's got a good role at GW, why would he leave that for a bit more money and risk wasting a year not playing as much? It's more likely that JB comes back to GW than he transfers up again. I just doubt he will score as much with hopefully a more balanced roster and he could probably make more overseas. Barring a BA-like jump from 3 his final year he's better off starting his pro career (and I say this as someone who would of course love for him to come back). His defense is what it is at this point.

I disagree with you DMV on the potential for him to still go to another school. If the NIL money is better at another school (even if it means he is coming off the bench rather than starting), I don’t see why he wouldn’t make the jump.

3/04/2023 3:13 pm  #16

Gwmayhem wrote:

For what it's worth, Jabari Edwards finished up his junior year by missing GW's CBI home game against VCU because he thought the season was over, was on spring break, and could not make it back to campus in time (to be fair, GW was 6-10 in the A10 that season; most would have thought the season was over).  I figured that was it for his time at GW but he did come back and was honored on Senior Day the following season.  And then, Jabari decided to play one more year since his freshman season turned out to be a redshirt season.  Therefore, he participated in a second consecutive Senior Day the following year. 

So Ricky has nothing to feel weird about; Jabari has already established the precedent. 

Nahhhhh this is crazy dumb of him lol. How in the actual hell don’t you know you missed a whole game???

Board footera