GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2023 2:20 pm  #21

Re: The Coaching Carousel Thread

Bizarre. If he did  look at GU would he demand to restore the annual GW/GU game? I don't think he would entertain keeping the anti GW stance created by Thompson.

3/09/2023 2:56 pm  #22

Not that Mike does not have a strong affinity towards GW (his mother was a longtime swim coach) but he only attended GW for a year (still, he is a graduate).  I think most people understand that there are a finite number of D1 head coaching positions out there, and an even smaller number that Mike would consider.  I would say he is more than capable of getting over the whole Gtown/GW thing pretty quickly (particularly in light of GW's failure to hire him to replace Mike Jarvis).  And yes, I agree that he would absolutely be willing to schedule GW, fairly.

3/09/2023 4:02 pm  #23

Has hiring any former star player ever worked out well?

Mullin.  Ewing.   Rough years for Juwan Howard and Hubert Davis (after good NCAA tourney runs)  Danny Manning.    Duke went with Scheyer, Syracuse seems to be going Autry.   

Not sure why this trend seems to be gaining steam, can't think of any examples of big success, I guess Penny has sort of worked out?

3/09/2023 4:23 pm  #24

The Dude wrote:

Mullin.  Ewing.   Rough years for Juwan Howard and Hubert Davis (after good NCAA tourney runs)  Danny Manning.    Duke went with Scheyer, Syracuse seems to be going Autry.   

Not sure why this trend seems to be gaining steam, can't think of any examples of big success, I guess Penny has sort of worked out?

4 seasons for Juwan at Michigan.  A regular season Big 10 Championship.  An Elite 8 appearance along with a year end national ranking of 4th.  Another Sweet 16 appearance.  

2 seasons for Hubert Davis at UNC.  All he did was coach in the national championship game.

Not working out?  Now you're just trying to sound like a moron, right?

3/09/2023 4:42 pm  #25

Gwmayhem wrote:

The Dude wrote:

4 seasons for Juwan at Michigan.  A regular season Big 10 Championship.  An Elite 8 appearance along with a year end national ranking of 4th.  Another Sweet 16 appearance.  

2 seasons for Hubert Davis at UNC.  All he did was coach in the national championship game.

Not working out?  Now you're just trying to sound like a moron, right?

Penny has sort of worked out but not Juwan or Hubert? Very interesting take Dude even for you.

3/09/2023 5:56 pm  #26

Georgetown is dead.  Next coach will fail.  I just can’t see the argument for it being a good big East job anymore - dead atmosphere, unrealistic expectations, conference foes in much better shape.  Very tough rebuilding job ahead for someone.

3/09/2023 6:12 pm  #27

Yes. Ewing is gone.

3/09/2023 6:21 pm  #28

Georgetown will have it's pick of interested and highly qualified coaching candidates. Good conference, great history, $, and in the DMV (everything GW isn't except the location). Brey has got to be in the conversation unless they have a current coach in mind who will switch teams. Doubt they will go the NBA route again after Ewing.

3/09/2023 6:38 pm  #29

Remember when people thought JTIII was a terrible Coach???  Here's his NCAA Seed history:

2006-15:  7 2 2 3 6 3 2 4   Final 4, an Elite 8, 8 NCAA Trips.

Look where things ended up with Ewing.  That decision looks very short sighted, as it did at the time.

Can anyone but a John Thompson win big there? IDK what to make of it as a program.   

The rest of their history is one Eshrick Trip, one miracle Ewing trip, and one appearance at the height of WWII
that's it.  3 NCAAs without one of the JTs.    28 with them. Good program or Good program under one father and one son?  

Mark Fox is out at California.  A good program under Braun and Montgomery 8 Trips 2001-13
3-28 this year.   

Last edited by The Dude (3/09/2023 6:51 pm)

3/09/2023 6:47 pm  #30

Jamion Christian to Georgetown. Please. Lord let this happen. Would be the greatest thing for us since the Ewing extension. 

3/09/2023 8:05 pm  #31

Mike Brennan out at American.

3/09/2023 8:17 pm  #32

Rick Pitino to Georgetown seems like it could be a thing. Have also seen Ed Cooley's name in the mix there. I don't think it'll be Langel. Maybe if Penn State opens up Langel takes it? It doesn't seem like he is itching to leave Colgate

3/09/2023 8:18 pm  #33

Free Quebec wrote:

Mike Brennan out at American.

I saw the JC to Georgetown thread which would I agree would be hilarious but American could be a decent job for him. I remain convinced he would be a good P5 assistant but I get the feeling he might want another head coaching job

3/09/2023 8:43 pm  #34

gwfan25 wrote:

Jamion Christian to Georgetown. Please. Lord let this happen. Would be the greatest thing for us since the Ewing extension. 

Except JC would have an epiphany and learn to make GTN a winner

3/09/2023 8:49 pm  #35

Rick Pitino is a name that came up on Georgetown's board, even before Ewing got canned earlier today. He's about 70 right now, so it would be his final chance for BCS/Final 4/National Championship glory that he enjoyed for most of his coaching career. 

I agree with Joel Joseph, the Big East conference, Georgetown's history/name brand (Allen Iverson, Alonzo Mourning, Motumbo etc.) and the tremendous amount of high school talent in the D.C.area makes their coaching job desirable regardless of how far they've sunk. All it would it take is for the next coach to get two classes of Judah Mintz-Dug McDaniel-Hunter Dickinson-Jeremy Roach-Cam Whitmore-Deshawn Harris-Smith type of local players and Georgetown would be back to contending for Big East titles. The right coach should be able to land a number of these players. Someone like Pitino would definitely be able to sign a large number of the 5-star local players whether by hook or by crook! LOL

3/09/2023 9:33 pm  #36

The Dude wrote:

So there goes the first chip, as Boeheim is forced out (he made it quite clear the school is forcing him out he's not "retiring" just like with Mike Brey.)

After nearly 50 and 20+ years both guys deserved better, but it is a results business and "what did you do for me today" world

Boeheim deserved better? How so? Dude is the biggest a55hole in sports. Paid players. Killed someone and had it covered up. Belittles SU student reporters. One of college basketball's biggest whiners. Thank God SU finally grew some spine and fired him.

3/09/2023 9:41 pm  #37

Thomas wrote:

Rick Pitino is a name that came up on Georgetown's board, even before Ewing got canned earlier today. He's about 70 right now, so it would be his final chance for BCS/Final 4/National Championship glory that he enjoyed for most of his coaching career. 

I agree with Joel Joseph, the Big East conference, Georgetown's history/name brand (Allen Iverson, Alonzo Mourning, Motumbo etc.) and the tremendous amount of high school talent in the D.C.area makes their coaching job desirable regardless of how far they've sunk. All it would it take is for the next coach to get two classes of Judah Mintz-Dug McDaniel-Hunter Dickinson-Jeremy Roach-Cam Whitmore-Deshawn Harris-Smith type of local players and Georgetown would be back to contending for Big East titles. The right coach should be able to land a number of these players. Someone like Pitino would definitely be able to sign a large number of the 5-star local players whether by hook or by crook! LOL

I'm not convinced that Gtown won't hire another JTJR slappy. They still have the same president and AD who hired Ewing. I can see them hiring Ron. He's on the payroll already, is JTJR spawn, and has head coaching experience.

Gtown loves nothing more than cutting off its nose to spite its face and having to hire outside of the JTJR family tree to fill it's men's bball head coaching position will be the worst punsihment ever. It's kind of like that classic Matt Bors cartoon. Except instead MAGA/Nazism, it's Hoya Paranoia.

3/09/2023 11:39 pm  #38

Alum '04 wrote:

The Dude wrote:

So there goes the first chip, as Boeheim is forced out (he made it quite clear the school is forcing him out he's not "retiring" just like with Mike Brey.)

After nearly 50 and 20+ years both guys deserved better, but it is a results business and "what did you do for me today" world

Boeheim deserved better? How so? Dude is the biggest a55hole in sports. Paid players. Killed someone and had it covered up. Belittles SU student reporters. One of college basketball's biggest whiners. Thank God SU finally grew some spine and fired him.

Irrelevant of what kind of guy he is, I meant that one of the sport's most successful Coaches, 47 years at the same  school  (60 years total)  shoudn't be swept out the door like that.    

3/10/2023 9:26 am  #39

The Dude wrote:

Alum '04 wrote:

The Dude wrote:

Irrelevant of what kind of guy he is, I meant that one of the sport's most successful Coaches, 47 years at the same  school  (60 years total)  shoudn't be swept out the door like that.    

SU has been terrible for years. He's lucky he didn't get fired sooner.

3/10/2023 10:27 am  #40

Alum '04 wrote:

The Dude wrote:

You forgot his assistant coach was a sexual predator and he probably helped cover that up for a while

Board footera