GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2023 10:32 am  #41

Re: The Coaching Carousel Thread

Skittles wrote:

You forgot his assistant coach was a sexual predator and he probably helped cover that up for a while

Forgot about that. Jim Boeheim is a piece of shit. College basketball is better off without him.

3/10/2023 12:24 pm  #42

Alum '04 wrote:

The Dude wrote:

Alum '04 wrote:

Boeheim deserved better? How so? Dude is the biggest a55hole in sports. Paid players. Killed someone and had it covered up. Belittles SU student reporters. One of college basketball's biggest whiners. Thank God SU finally grew some spine and fired him.

Irrelevant of what kind of guy he is, I meant that one of the sport's most successful Coaches, 47 years at the same  school  (60 years total)  shoudn't be swept out the door like that.    

SU has been terrible for years. He's lucky he didn't get fired sooner.

Sweet 16 in 2021, 2020 is COVID, Sweet 16 in 2019 Sweet 16 in 2018 Final Four in 2016.  Another Final Four in 2013 pretty darn successful last decade!

It's really just the last two years things went South on the court. 

(Off the court you're right, so if that were the reason I'd say overdue)

3/10/2023 12:36 pm  #43

Alum '04 wrote:

Skittles wrote:

You forgot his assistant coach was a sexual predator and he probably helped cover that up for a while

Forgot about that. Jim Boeheim is a piece of shit. College basketball is better off without him.

I think that's a little strong. He probably should have retired a few years ago but by and large he helped build the Big East and northeastern college basketball. I know someone well who knows the entire situation with Bernie Fine. He says Jim did not know because if he did, there would have been zero tolerance. I have no reason not to believe him. I don't think this was a Paterno situation. Perhaps at worst Jim wasn't inquisitive enough but there is no real evidence that he knew and covered it up.

3/10/2023 1:26 pm  #44

Apparently Jerod Haase is returning for an eighth year. LOL. I guess he graduates guys which might be all that matters at Stanford but talk about doing less with more. Brings in good talent but is 59-72 in Pac-12 play through seven seasons with no tournament appearances.

3/10/2023 1:30 pm  #45

I'm an upstate NY Native and a lifelong Syracuse fan.  I'll always love Boeheim for what he did for the area.  Was he a jerk at times, especially to reports (even student ones), absolutely.  However, Alum '04 comments are way out of line.  Particularly, "Killed someone and had it covered up."  That is complete and total BS,  The situation with the car accident was an absolute tragedy, and to throw it around casually like this is crass.  It's disrespectful to Boeheim, the city of Syracuse and to the victim himself.  I expected better from people on this site.

3/10/2023 2:12 pm  #46

Everyone from Boeheim on up the chain at Syracuse knew about the Bernie Fine situation. If not, it's part of their job description to know and can't claim ignorance as a defense.

Just as Maltzman, Knapp and company knew about our own sexual predator Nero and turned a blind eye towards it until GW was exposed by a recruit's parent and they finally excised him.

3/10/2023 2:44 pm  #47

Hearing Pitino and Brey as the 2 leading candidate for G'town.

With all due respect to Brey, if you can get Pitino, you hire Pitino right?  (again, just talking about on the court) 

Makes one wonder, if you can attract guys like that (if the stories are true)  what are you doing with Ewing for 6 years

There Goes Josh Pastner, fired by Georgia Tech after 7 seasons

Last edited by The Dude (3/10/2023 2:53 pm)

3/10/2023 2:47 pm  #48

Joel Joseph wrote:

Everyone from Boeheim on up the chain at Syracuse knew about the Bernie Fine situation. If not, it's part of their job description to know and can't claim ignorance as a defense.

Just as Maltzman, Knapp and company knew about our own sexual predator Nero and turned a blind eye towards it until GW was exposed by a recruit's parent and they finally excised him.

Pretty familiar with the facts in both situations. The GW case was far worse from this standpoint. The information was given to Maltzman and Knapp. They chose to ignore it. In the case of Syracuse Admin., no information was brought to the Syracuse Admin. until the guy went public in the media years later. Also, two of the complainants later recanted their claims against Fine saying they made them up. The state investigation resulted in no charges because the statute of limitations had run. There was a separate federal investigation and no charges were brought against Fine.

I am not defending Fine here by any stretch. I have no idea whether he was guilty or not. But to say that Boeheim was complicit in something that may or may not have happened is a stretch.

3/10/2023 2:53 pm  #49

porter71 wrote:

I'm an upstate NY Native and a lifelong Syracuse fan.  I'll always love Boeheim for what he did for the area.  Was he a jerk at times, especially to reports (even student ones), absolutely.  However, Alum '04 comments are way out of line.  Particularly, "Killed someone and had it covered up."  That is complete and total BS,  The situation with the car accident was an absolute tragedy, and to throw it around casually like this is crass.  It's disrespectful to Boeheim, the city of Syracuse and to the victim himself.  I expected better from people on this site.

Agreed

3/10/2023 2:56 pm  #50

GWRising wrote:

Joel Joseph wrote:

Pretty familiar with the facts in both situations. The GW case was far worse from this standpoint. The information was given to Maltzman and Knapp. They chose to ignore it. In the case of Syracuse Admin., no information was brought to the Syracuse Admin. until the guy went public in the media years later. Also, two of the complainants later recanted their claims against Fine saying they made them up. The state investigation resulted in no charges because the statute of limitations had run. There was a separate federal investigation and no charges were brought against Fine.

I am not defending Fine here by any stretch. I have no idea whether he was guilty or not. But to say that Boeheim was complicit in something that may or may not have happened is a stretch.

I’m more than willing to admit I was wrong. Have no insider info on that whole situation so I didn’t know all of that

3/10/2023 3:54 pm  #51

Unlike Sandusky, the Bernie Fine situation was and remains murky, with both exonerating and incriminating facts.  Still murky to this day.   

Boeheim handled it like he did most things, like a jerk. He was sued and then settled the suit for slander for saying the accusers were out for $ after Penn State.   Like his last few press conferences, he was a jerk, that's who he was.  

On the court though, his career is one of the more legendary in the sport.  You couldn't give the guy a more dignified send off after 60 years at Syracuse?  

Same with Mike Brey, whose idea was to get out "Mike Brey is retiring" in January when he was actually just being forced out,  they couldn't wait until after the season and do it a way that better honors Brey's two decades at Notre Dame???

Lets see how Cuse and Notre Dame do without these two guys.    I'm a little surprised both were forced out, Brey was 15-5 in the ACC last year and won 2 NCAA Tourney games... 12 months ago.

....And there goes Mike Anderson.  Pitino said to be first choice for St John's

Last edited by The Dude (3/10/2023 6:15 pm)

3/10/2023 7:56 pm  #52

porter71 wrote:

I was wrong for saying that about Boeheim. I still think he hasn't been responsible for preparing for retirement and it all came to a head now. No one can work forever, even HOF coaches.

3/10/2023 7:58 pm  #53

The recruit issue is noted in court papers in the EEOC complaint. Wonder if there were any others?
Note: The person involved has been gone for years, in case anyone knows a player who is considering
the many great opportunities at GW now.

3/12/2023 10:33 pm  #54

I'd be surprised ...but Anthony Grant?

No NCAA Tourney bids and they're rejecting the NIT invite?

Are they above the NIT? Grant might be out?

3/13/2023 1:31 pm  #55

Stoudamire to Georgia Tech

3/13/2023 5:32 pm  #56

Aaron McKie out at Temple. You have to think that job is Matt Langel's if he wants it (although if Shrewsberry goes elsewhere I wouldn't be surprised to see Langel end up at Penn State)

3/14/2023 8:53 am  #57

Would love to see AU hire Jamion.  Or another of our former coaches if he is interested (though I would think that ship has sailed by now.)

3/14/2023 9:17 am  #58

Jamion is involved in a number of jobs. We will see how it plays out.

3/19/2023 12:26 am  #59

Ed Cooley to Georgetown?

Pitino to St Johns?

IF you're Ed Cooley, would you leave Providence for G'town?  

3/20/2023 7:51 am  #60

Per a Jon Rothstein tweet, Ed Cooley put his house on the market today.  Guess he really is leaving Providence for the cowards.

Board footera