GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2020 9:45 pm  #1

Transfer: Hunter Dean, Forward, 2019 - Transferring from Southern Miss

Hunter Dean
Year: 2019
Position: PF
Height: 6-10
Hometown: Mandeville, LA
High School: Lakeshore HS (Mandeville, LA)
AAU Team: Louisiana Supreme (LA)

Eligibility: Sit one, play three.

Offers (out of high school): Appalachian State, Navy, New Orleans, Presbyterian, Siena, Southern Mississippi

Statistics (from freshman year at Southern Miss): 11 GP, 2.5 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.3 apg, 0.1 spg, 0.3 bpg, 1.3 TO.
50% FG, 62% FT

Best Performance (against D1 competition): 11/19 vs. Iowa State (6 points, 1 rebound, 2 assists; 3-6 FG in 14 minutes).   

Seems like JC recruited him out of HS. When was the last time we had a player from Louisiana on the team? Dean is a two sport athlete, so maybe we will see him on the baseball field as well. It looks like he had originally committed to Southern Miss under Doc Sadler, then opened up his recruitment before staying with the Golden Eagles. I guess he ultimately decided that he wasn't the best fit under new coach Jay Ladner. Hunter will be eligible to play midseason during the 2020-21 season. It will be nice to have some added depth up front so he can definitely help out. 

Welcome Hunter! We are happy to have you join us.

Links
247Sports
Game Log
Hudl
MaxPreps
Rivals
Verbal Commits

GW Commitment Tweet

1/06/2020 1:47 pm  #2

Re: Transfer: Hunter Dean, Forward, 2019 - Transferring from Southern Miss

Anybody concerned in general when a guy transfers after 1 semester? I don’t blame the players bc transferring is the only real power they have but it seriously sucks for mid majors and the future of the sport. Not that NCAA HQ doesn’t deserve a guest spot in a Heronymous  Bosch update.

1/06/2020 2:30 pm  #3

FredD, I'd say that cow is out of the barn.  Not a great look to be sure but we are in a day and age where immediate gratification appears to be the expectation rather than the goal.  Unhappy somewhere?  Go someplace else and then in many cases (not Hunter who will be sitting out a year or Amir who was clearly forced out), try to convince the NCAA that you left for great reasons so you should be able to play right away. 

I'll throw out a different question..is anybody concerned that JC and staff are bringing in a number of guys who they had relationships with while recruiting for Mt. St. Mary's and Siena, schools from lower tier conferences?  To date:

Hunter Dean..recruited by Siena, attended Souther Miss for one semester.

Ace Stallings...recruited by and played for Mt. St. Mary's

Shawn Walker, Jr....recruited by and planned on attending Siena.

Sloan Seymour....played one year at Siena.

Jameer Nelson Jr....recruited by Siena, planned on playing at St. Joe's

JNJ is an anomaly for a ton of reasons.  He was clearly on his way to Hawk Hill had Martelli not been fired, or if Jameer Sr. had been named head coach.  JC struck up a relationship with him because, I suppose when it comes to recruiting, one never knows.  Given the family connection, it's hard to say whether JNJ was an A10 talent all along since the Hawks were taking him no matter what the case.  I think we can all agree that he in fact an A1-0 talent despite some early bumps in the road.

This leaves four others who are now or will be playing in the A10 but were slated to play against lesser competition.  I understand the value of relationships but at the same time, it's really important that these guys are at GW (or will be coming to GW) because they can really play at this level.  By contrast, Mike Lonergan brought with him one Vermont recruit in John Kopriva and then in subsequent years, I do not recall him bringing anyone on who he was actively recruiting while at Vermont.  His initial recruiting focus became almost solely within the DMV (Zeke, Kethan, Joe, Kevin)  along with Pato who had played in high school for Kevin Sutton. 

1/06/2020 3:25 pm  #4

If tampering is a question than yes I’m paying attention that this could be the appearance

1/06/2020 3:36 pm  #5

FredD wrote:

If tampering is a question than yes I’m paying attention that this could be the appearance

Every one of these players other than Dean or Nelson was recruited initially by JC and chose to attend a school that JC was at at the time they made a decision. They wanted to play for JC. That's not tampering that is perhaps what they based their initial decision on as to where to attend.

Hunter Dean didn't like Southern Miss. So where did he turn first? To a guy who had previously recruited him. Nelson the same thing when Martelli was let go.

To introduce tampering is mind-boggling crazy train without a claim by anyone whether it be schools or kids or other coaches. I guess it's a slow Monday.

1/07/2020 7:05 am  #6

I think Coach Christian has a good idea of what it will take to success at the A-10 level, in the same way he saw what it would take to succeed in the conferences housing Siena and MSM.  From my perspective, at the end of THIS year, he will have an even better idea, playing against teams like Dayton and STL and VCU and Richmond and Davidson.

Give him until his third year to show me I am right, and in the interim, support him and his philosophy and the student athletes and the university as they invest in their decision.  Let's see where this will take us in year three and thereafter.

1/07/2020 9:35 am  #7

1.  My post had nothing to do with tampering.  That thought hadn't even crossed my mind as I wrote it.  The point I was making is that JC is bringing in a number of guys who he developed relationships with at MSM and Siena, or while recruiting players to these schools, which raises the question of how effective these players can be at the A10 level..  In the cases of Dean, Walker and Stallings, it appears that zero schools at the A10/comparable or higher level conferences made any offers.  Seymour was offered by a number of A10 schools (URI, SJU, UMASS) as well as by Pitt, St. John's and Vermont.  JNJ's circumstance was discussed earlier.

2. Keith, raising a concern such as this should not be construed as a lack of support for JC or the program.  Nor should it be taken as a "failed experiment" prediction.  As mentioned, John Kopriva was slated to play at Vermont (back when we were ahead of Vermont in the pecking order) and he turned out to be a more than serviceable A10 player (not to mention an outstanding team leader).  However, having up to 4-5 guys on the team next year who would all be playing in lesser regarded conferences had JC remained at Siena is a valid discussion point.  I understand that the coaching staff wants players who are capable of playing "their style" but at the same time, these players need to be talented enough if we want to again be one of the top programs in the conference.

1/07/2020 12:34 pm  #8

Gwmayhem ... The tampering comment wasn't directed at you.

Also, in the case of Stallings he's not a scholarship player at GW so to me that's something different.

1/07/2020 12:49 pm  #9

I don’t think it “reeks” of tampering. One semester made me think. My point was general. It pays to have an open mind when it comes “our” team because of the hole GW is in and more importantly the pressure to recruit and recruit guys boggles would seem to create a lot of pressure on any coach. What’s happened at Oakland and Robert Morris is enough to make any coach sweat when it comes to a little getting crushed by transfers.

1/07/2020 2:44 pm  #10

GWRising...I know the comment wasn't directed at me.  Just wanted to clarify in general that this was not at all what I was thinking when writing my post.

1/08/2020 6:24 am  #11

And my post wasn't directed to anybody nor was it implying anything about preceding comments.  My comment was let's give the coach and the program a chance to rebuild, and my impression is that it will take about three years.

1/09/2020 1:07 am  #12

These 4, collectively, do actually concern me, I've had the same thought.  Why are we recruiting so many guys to GW who were recruited to lesser conferences??? 

I'm not saying that alone makes it a bad idea but it is a bit strange frankly.
  I wasn't that big a fan of the Kopriva idea either, but that was just 1 guy and it was right at the outset.  

I'm hardly opposed to bringing guys recruited to lower leagues though, Terry Nolan Jr was too (although became a hot ticket when recruiting re-opened) and of course Armel Potter was.

Obviously each case has some nuance, with so many guys though it is worth asking.  I had in mind getting back to better recruits, we need to increase the talent on this roster.  Does anyone feel Shawn or Ace have legit A10 player futures?

1/09/2020 1:10 am  #13

By four, I mean the top 4,I wouldn't include Jameer for the reasons stated on earlier comments.

Sloan Seymour played well at Siena, so I'm not too concerned there either.  To be frank he's probably better at the moment than Jameer.

It isn't so much that we're recruiting a guy or two with this background, but why 4-5?  Should we not be shooting higher? these scholies aren't endless in #.

Last edited by The Dude (1/09/2020 1:15 am)

Board footera