GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2023 9:21 am  #61

Re: The Coaching Carousel Thread

Huge get for Georgetown if it's real. Can't remember the time a coach was poached from within the BIG EAST. It's a far cry from the old days where I'm sure that would never have happened. 

3/20/2023 10:18 am  #62

If John Fanta's reporting is correct that Georgetown is willing to offer $6 million/year, that is INSANE.  Only Cal would be making more per year.  

Cooley is a fine coach, but I think Georgetown's ceiling is basically where Providence is now.  I'm skeptical they can beat out Maryland for local talent.

3/20/2023 10:43 am  #63

I don't know how schools report their data to the Department of Ed, but if you want to understand the difference between Georgetown and GW, note that Fanta is reporting that Cooley alone would make $1M more than the entire budget of men's basketball, including salaries and scholarships.

Seems utterly insane to me. 

3/20/2023 10:48 am  #64

Mike Brey to USF

https://t.co/RpO8RAZ3W1

3/20/2023 12:40 pm  #65

creeksandzeeks wrote:

I don't know how schools report their data to the Department of Ed, but if you want to understand the difference between Georgetown and GW, note that Fanta is reporting that Cooley alone would make $1M more than the entire budget of men's basketball, including salaries and scholarships.

Seems utterly insane to me. 

Going to get very interesting if he doesn't win big there. Crazy expectations

3/20/2023 12:42 pm  #66

3/20/2023 12:51 pm  #67

Free Quebec wrote:

Mason’s Kim English in the mix for the Providence job.

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1637870212417478674?s=46&t=m2xsjs4EY33TDlbMVwhKzQ

Obvious to me why English would want the job: They don't have an AD right now, he's not likely to be much better next year with the departures of three of their top four scorers next year, and getting Mason to a Tournament in the next three years is going to be very tough. His star isn't going to get any brighter than it is right now for the foreseeable future.

What's not obvious to me is why Providence thinks he's ready for it. They finished fifth in a one-bid league this year.

3/20/2023 12:55 pm  #68

GW0509 wrote:

If John Fanta's reporting is correct that Georgetown is willing to offer $6 million/year, that is INSANE.  Only Cal would be making more per year.  

Cooley is a fine coach, but I think Georgetown's ceiling is basically where Providence is now.  I'm skeptical they can beat out Maryland for local talent.

Since Georgetown is in such bad shape, they had no choice but to shell out HUGE dollars like this for the biggest name coach they could get.They couldn't hire another Big John disciple/family member again. Georgetown's program now has some credibility with Cooley as their coach..for the moment. 

I'm interested to see how Cooley recruits because at Providence he seemed to be a guy who turned mostly  unheralded recruits into very good teams/players, he didn't necessarily get a lot of 5-star guys. Maybe that will change at Georgetown since he's in a hotbed for recruiting. 

3/20/2023 1:11 pm  #69

What kind of job is Georgetown right now?  If you're a recruit, how could you think of them as anything but a bottom 2 or 3 program in the Big East? If you're a parent of a recruit, you'll be telling your son that they were once college basketball royalty (or pretty close) and that you'd have an opportunity to restore the program to greatness.  In my mind, this is going to take a massive recruiting class coming in together.  Likely too late for next season.  You'll need 1-2 5 star players and the rest being 4 star players to come in together.  Will be interesting to see whether Ed can pull this off.

3/20/2023 2:02 pm  #70

Great hire by GTown. Cooley will bring them back in a hurry. Money wasn't Cooley's main priority. Being able to resurrect what his friend John Thompson built was - Remember, Thompson a Providence alum. Maryland and Gtown will be fighting for the DMV top again. 

Florida is where old coaches go to retire so Brey found the ideal job. For USF's sake, I just hope he still has the fire to work (recruit) hard.

I can see Becker (Vermont) in the mix for the Providence job. Englich needs to accomplish something before he's ready to take over a Big East job.

3/20/2023 3:19 pm  #71

Joel Joseph wrote:

Great hire by GTown. Cooley will bring them back in a hurry. Money wasn't Cooley's main priority. Being able to resurrect what his friend John Thompson built was - Remember, Thompson a Providence alum. Maryland and Gtown will be fighting for the DMV top again. 

Florida is where old coaches go to retire so Brey found the ideal job. For USF's sake, I just hope he still has the fire to work (recruit) hard.

I can see Becker (Vermont) in the mix for the Providence job. Englich needs to accomplish something before he's ready to take over a Big East job.

Becker wants the Holy Cross job I am told. His girlfriend is the HC women's coach. But Providence isn't that far away. However, I hear English will likely get Providence.

Shrewsbury will likely go to Notre Dame

Penn State will hire Matt Langel.

I think all four could happen. We will see.

Also don't dscount Mitch Henderson being in the running for some of these jobs.

Last edited by GWRising (3/20/2023 3:21 pm)

3/20/2023 4:22 pm  #72

Becker has a much better chance of getting HC than Providence.

If Shrewsbury gets the ND job Langel would be a great option for PS.

Anybody hearing anything on the job openings closer to home - American, Coppin State? 

3/20/2023 4:44 pm  #73

Joel Joseph wrote:

Becker has a much better chance of getting HC than Providence.

If Shrewsbury gets the ND job Langel would be a great option for PS.

Anybody hearing anything on the job openings closer to home - American, Coppin State? 

Apparently UVA associate HC Jason Williford turned American down and now they're looking at Duane Simpkins from George Mason. I wonder if English goes to Providence then Simpkins could get a look at George Mason. I wonder if American or Coppin St are places JC is in the mix at https://twitter.com/trillydonovan/status/1637896672700137472?s=20

3/20/2023 5:02 pm  #74

If English goes to Providence, look for Williford to be a top candidate for George Mason.

3/21/2023 7:21 am  #75

Surprising move by Cooley, despite the rumors it was in the works

3/21/2023 8:14 am  #76

What would have been surprising would be had he turned down Georgetown to stay at Providence.

His base salary at Providence was $3.15 million in 2020.  With bonuses, he was at or around the $3.7 million range.  It's reported that his Georgetown salary is expected to exceed $5 million, before bonuses.  Conservatively, he'll be receiving at least a 20% bump in pay.

Plus, his daughter attends Georgetown.

3/21/2023 9:28 am  #77

I think the biggest development here is that Kim English has a good chance to stumble his way up the coaching ranks!! HA! But seriously, what has he really done at George Mason to justify a move up to the Big East? It's good that he has all those BCS ties as a player and an assistant coach. As another poster pointed out, getting the Providence job right now would be great for Kim English because its possible that George Mason could be among the worst teams in the A-10 next year when you look at all the players (Oduro, Big Ticket Gaines, etc.) they could lose.

A positive for Mason if Kim English does get the Providence job is there's a chance they'd hire Tony Skinn, a starter on their 2006 Final 4 team and an assistant coach at Maryland right now. He has the rep of being a strong local recruiter at multiple stops as an assistant.   

Gwmayhem, I didn't know Cooley's daughter attends Georgetown that should be reason enough for him to want the job, he can keep close tabs on her now!! LOL  To answer your question about how good the Georgetown job is, I'll always maintain that it will always be a very good job because of the history, playing in the Big East and being located in a recruiting hotbed. No matter how far the program sinks, those 3 things will always be a huge plus for Georgetown, in my opinion. I do understand your point because I heard former Louisville and Xavier coach Chris Mack mention that when he'd play road games at Georgetown, they had a "dead" atmosphere at the Abe Pollin-MCI Center even though Georgetown had very good teams.  

About Cooley and his recruiting, his highest rated 2023 Providence recruit (Garwey Dual) decommitted from Providence almost immediately after Cooley took the Georgetown job, I'm assuming he'll be a Hoya very soon. 

3/22/2023 7:15 am  #78

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
Sources: Providence has zeroed in on George Mason's Kim English to be its next head basketball coach.

3/22/2023 7:35 am  #79

Tobin Anderson to Iona

3/22/2023 8:30 am  #80

Anyone know if Karl Hobbs would have a puncher's chance as the next head coach at Mason? Sure seems to me like he deserves another head gig. 

Board footera