GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2023 11:14 am  #161

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal Szn

GWRising wrote:

BC wrote:

At least twice last year you strung us out for weeks at time telling us news was around the corner (to paraphrase) yet none came.      Nobody remembers these teasers?  I'm 77, GW69 and I don't have time for teases - just news.  I should say - I do remember one time where Rising had good timely info.  Oh, and is this week over yet?

I didn't string anyone out. Things change. In one case it was because the kid had to take weeks to get his commitment video to where he felt like he could release it. The info was good it just took longer than expected and was originally anticipated not by me but by then coaches. In the other case, as Florida Colonial correctly points out, JC had players lined up and ready to be announced when he was surprisingly let go. Those kids decided they were not coming to GW after that occurred. Not much I can do about that. It was similar (although not exactly the same) to the Longpre situation for ML. Had JC made it to Friday of that week a visit and a commitment would have occurred.  These things are often fluid and sometimes don't occur on the original timetable. The information I get is very good - that's all I'll say. I don't place it here until I am 95% confident it's happening. 

Rising - can you share who the player was who had the visit/likely commitment lined up before JC was let go?

4/10/2023 11:44 am  #162

Rising, if you said "there might be some good news this week.." (by my standards you said that last week) rather than "expect ..." I wouldn't care so much.  I do appreciate your inside views, but I sure don't like to be disappointed in my old age.  

4/10/2023 11:45 am  #163

danjsport wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, all news (or partial news) is welcome news--whether good or bad; or whether it pans out or not. Thanks for keeping us posted, Rising.

In the words of LFO (who I believe just registered for this site), I agree 100%.

4/10/2023 11:48 am  #164

The Ross-Man! wrote:

GWRising wrote:

BC wrote:

At least twice last year you strung us out for weeks at time telling us news was around the corner (to paraphrase) yet none came.      Nobody remembers these teasers?  I'm 77, GW69 and I don't have time for teases - just news.  I should say - I do remember one time where Rising had good timely info.  Oh, and is this week over yet?

I didn't string anyone out. Things change. In one case it was because the kid had to take weeks to get his commitment video to where he felt like he could release it. The info was good it just took longer than expected and was originally anticipated not by me but by then coaches. In the other case, as Florida Colonial correctly points out, JC had players lined up and ready to be announced when he was surprisingly let go. Those kids decided they were not coming to GW after that occurred. Not much I can do about that. It was similar (although not exactly the same) to the Longpre situation for ML. Had JC made it to Friday of that week a visit and a commitment would have occurred.  These things are often fluid and sometimes don't occur on the original timetable. The information I get is very good - that's all I'll say. I don't place it here until I am 95% confident it's happening. 

Rising - can you share who the player was who had the visit/likely commitment lined up before JC was let go?

I think it may have been the 7 foot Diaz twins, or at least they were gonna schedule a visit.   Would love to know who else may have been on the radar.

4/10/2023 12:09 pm  #165

Mike K wrote:

The Ross-Man! wrote:

GWRising wrote:

I think it may have been the 7 foot Diaz twins, or at least they were gonna schedule a visit. Would love to know who else may have been on the radar.

Correct.

4/10/2023 12:58 pm  #166

Good news would be a P-5 contributor coming to GW.
Low and mid-major transfers coming to GW is news (not good or bad).
Time to get some of the MANY transfers from the Purdue's of the world instead of the Princeton's!

4/10/2023 1:08 pm  #167

The Ross-Man! wrote:

GWRising wrote:

BC wrote:

I can’t speak for rising, but I heard rumors we were close to a Virginia Tech big, who I’m pretty sure was David N’Guessan, who wound up coming off the bench for Kansas St this year.  I could be wrong.

4/10/2023 1:47 pm  #168

And there is the news!!  Bishop is back

4/10/2023 1:51 pm  #169

Florida Colonial wrote:

Rising, was this it?  Not that I am greedy, well, yes I am… greedy for more wins.

4/10/2023 2:00 pm  #170

4/10/2023 2:01 pm  #171

Another Miami transfer from Caputo's time there - guard Harlond Beverly.  PT dropped significantly this year (12 mins from 28 2 years before)

4/10/2023 2:04 pm  #172

Mike K wrote:

Florida Colonial wrote:

Rising, was this it? Not that I am greedy, well, yes I am… greedy for more wins.

YES!

4/10/2023 2:11 pm  #173

A complex situation that cuts several ways.
Best decision for him, if he has serious NBA aspirations or big money pro aspirations.
  What we, CC, James and his family should be especially proud of is, from the first quote, his
dedication to getting his degree from GW.
   Unless I'm missing anything, all our most recent NBA players from the Pops, Mike Hall era through
Yuta, Tyler and Pato, all got their degrees and made it to the league.

4/10/2023 2:35 pm  #174

jf wrote:

Unless I'm missing anything, all our most recent NBA players from the Pops, Mike Hall era through
Yuta, Tyler and Pato, all got their degrees and made it to the league.

Danilo Pinnock declared after his junior year, got drafted, didn´t get much traction in the NBA and later (I believe) returned to finish his degree.
And, of course, prior to that there was SirShootsAlot with his "plan B" and Yinka Dare bolting early (prior to the period JF mentions).

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (4/10/2023 2:36 pm)

4/10/2023 7:55 pm  #175

Coach Boisvert just confirmed some more big news hopefully coming soon in regards to the portal in the next 24-48 hours via the WRGW Twitter Spaces. Another incoming transfer?

4/10/2023 8:03 pm  #176

G-Dubber wrote:

Coach Boisvert just confirmed some more big news hopefully coming soon in regards to the portal in the next 24-48 hours via the WRGW Twitter Spaces. Another incoming transfer?

Damn I had to leave the twitter space early.. Thanks for updating us..  Thats exciting.

Last edited by Florida Colonial (4/10/2023 8:03 pm)

4/10/2023 8:33 pm  #177

Darren Buchanan Jr was spotted on campus this past weekend according to one of the WRGW kids.

4/10/2023 9:39 pm  #178

We are close with a ACC post and a Big 12 small forward but not the names mentioned here so far. In fact, I don't believe anyone has mentioned these names before here although I could have missed it. Staff is hoping for more good news and I believe it will be one or both of these two but we will see. Not as sure as I was about Johnson and Bishop.

4/10/2023 10:37 pm  #179

GWRising wrote:

We are close with a ACC post and a Big 12 small forward but not the names mentioned here so far. In fact, I don't believe anyone has mentioned these names before here although I could have missed it. Staff is hoping for more good news and I believe it will be one or both of these two but we will see. Not as sure as I was about Johnson and Bishop.

Thanks for the update!

4/10/2023 11:10 pm  #180

GWRising wrote:

The "Big 12 small forward" was the player I was referring to on the first page of this thread although I didn't mention him directly by name. Would be a good get based on potential + the fact that he still has plenty of eligibility.

I was personally surprised that JB made a decision so soon to come back. At the very least, I thought he was going to declare for the NBA draft while maintaining his eligibility - to my knowledge I didn't see any indication that he was declaring which was a bit surprising to me (though to be fair, he's already gone through the process once before). I still think that it might have made the most sense for him to just go pro and have a successful career overseas but he certainly made the right decision to stay at GW rather than transfer. By all accounts, he didn't seem like the kind of guy that was chasing a bag from a bigger school which is smart if he wants to play a lot. In any case, I'm very happy to have him back. His loyalty cannot be discounted and should be celebrated in this era. I wonder what his current NIL deal is like.

I don't see how JB's numbers will remain as high assuming we hopefully put better talent around him but he does have the chance to improve his three point shooting (maybe a big jump out of nowhere like BA had this year) to improve his stock. Hopefully we are also able to hide him more on defense with players who have better ability on that side of the ball. JB deserves to play on at least one decent GW squad in his time here.

This is probably a discussion for later in the offseason when the roster is finalized but with JB back I wonder what the starting/bench backcourt will look like. With Jacoi coming in perhaps JB starts at the 2 because Hutchinson is a pure PG. Pretty much everyone plays with two playmakers in the backcourt but that may mean JB has the ball in his hands a bit less. Alternatively, JB can start at the point with Trey at the 2 and Jacoi can come off the bench and lead the bench unit. It's interesting to think about because I think Autry has the edge in the shooting department while Hutchinson is a bit better with distributing the ball but isn't as consistent with his shot yet. I'm sure we'll probably add one more experienced guard to complement JB as well so it might be moot but I'm excited about potential lineup optionality going into next year.

Board footera