GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2023 6:47 am  #1

McCombs to Pitt?

I stink at embedding tweets on here but here is a VERY interesting tweet I saw about McCombs having interest in the head coach opening at Pitt: https://twitter.com/primetimeMitch/status/1631784256300089348?s=20

It seems like more smoke than fire at this point but the fact that this was reported during the team's game last night seems notable. That has to catch the eye of some players considering returning next season. Obviously it would be hugely disappointing to lose McCombs after only two years but we will see how this progresses in the coming weeks

3/14/2023 11:17 am  #2

Re: McCombs to Pitt?

Following up with this, McCombs has interviewed for the job and will get a second interview according to this article: https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2023/03/14/pitt-womens-basketball-coaching-search-update/

FWIW I would take Verdi or Cullop ahead of McCombs but maybe there's a reason I'm not an Athletic Director. It also seems like Pitt is in no rush to make a decision and there could be more candidates further down the road.

Last edited by gwstudent2024 (3/14/2023 11:21 am)

3/14/2023 12:58 pm  #3

Looks like it's closer to home at a school where she was on staff for a run of 3 straight NCAA Appearances. To be in the mix for an ACC job after finishing 7th in the A10 with no players on any of the Top 3 All-A10 teams is a pretty good opportunity. 

I sure hope she sticks around, but I'm always going to root for good people to succeed, even somewhere else.

4/04/2023 10:25 am  #4

Tory Verdi is apparently the leader in the clubhouse for the Pitt job.  He was in Pittsburgh last weekend for a second interview.  The Bowling Green coach was also in contention but she took another job (Michigan State I believe.). Presumably this is good news for GW, but Verdi leaving UMass would be a blow for the league.

Verdi is a good recruiter and program builder.  He's a pretty good game coach.  Only Sam Breen and Destiny Philoxy have no remaining eligibility.  So UMass has the potential to be a contender next season.  Sydney Taylor has said she's returning to school for her Covid year eligibility.  Would she want to follow Verdi to a rebuilding team so she can play in the ACC?  Would the two key regulars, Ber’Nyah Mayo and Mackenna White (from DE and western Pa respectively) follow for their final two years.  What about the 3 recruits?  Lots in play here.  Maybe everyone is waiting for Verdi's move.  All speculation so far.

Verdi often plays only 7 for most games, although he got a little more flexible as the season went on.  Hard to develop a bench that way.    Would that hurt him with some UMass players?

I would hope that Associate Coach Mike LeFlar gets serious and quick consideration to replace Verdi if it comes to that.  He works with the Bigs and is popular with the players.  Maybe he could keep some in Amherst rather than having them leave for Pitt.

Three MInutewomae have reportedly entered the transfer portal.  More on that in the other thread in a couple of days.  Loyola added a grad transfer from IUPIU, and URI added a grad transfer from Manhattan.  LaSalle added a junior guard transfer from D2 St Anselm's (VT,)

4/06/2023 4:25 pm  #5

Job has apparently been offered to Fla Gulf Coast´s Smesko. No mention of McCombs at all here...

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2023/04/05/new-candidate-emerges-for-pitt-womens-basketball-job/

4/06/2023 9:46 pm  #6

Reports indicate it's Verdi leaving UMass for the Pitt job.

4/07/2023 8:01 am  #7

Pittsburgh, Boston and Amherst media, plus SI, have all reported that Verdi has been offered and is taking the Pitt job.  And he's told players that he's leaving.  Reportedly, Sydney Taylor is going to follow him.  There will be other roster fallout, presumably.  Four players had already entered transfer portal but none of them got much playing time.  Two didn't play at all so maybe last season will count as a redshirt year for them.  
Florida Gulf Coast coach reportedly denied the offer.  GW will be the epitome of stability compared to UMass.

UPDATE - Pitt announced hiring an hour ago, and UMass posted a Good bye note.

Last edited by WMC (4/07/2023 8:03 am)

4/07/2023 11:01 am  #8

Fordham hired Bridgette Mitchell as head coach after 2 successful years at Northeastern.  Played at Duke and overseas.  Previously was an assistant at Pitt, James Madison, Siena and Wagner.  And George Mason coach just signed an extension.  We all know how meaningfull/meaningless extensions can be, although they may give the current program some leverage.  But maybe the A10 can get strong enough to keep good, young coaches.  (Although Verdi is in his early 50's and doesn't qualify as young.  This may have been his last chance for a power conference job.). One can dream.

4/10/2023 1:21 pm  #9

Mike Leflar has been promoted/hired as head coach for UMass.  His time at UMass began in 2018 and the was promoted to associate head coach in Dec 2021.  Sam Breen and Destiny Philoxy strongly recommended Laflar as next head coach in their Twitter accounts.  Breen also spoke in favor of the hire in an interview with the school radio station.  
Maybe this hire will stem the movement of players to the transfer portal.  Ben'Nyah Mayo had left open the possibility of withdrawing from the portal.  Is this announcement what she was waiting for?  Again, stay tuned.
(I've been incorrectly capitalizing the "f."  Opps.)

Last edited by WMC (4/10/2023 1:24 pm)

4/10/2023 3:48 pm  #10

WMC wrote:

Mike Leflar has been promoted/hired as head coach for UMass.  His time at UMass began in 2018 and the was promoted to associate head coach in Dec 2021.  Sam Breen and Destiny Philoxy strongly recommended Laflar as next head coach in their Twitter accounts.  Breen also spoke in favor of the hire in an interview with the school radio station.  
Maybe this hire will stem the movement of players to the transfer portal.  Ben'Nyah Mayo had left open the possibility of withdrawing from the portal.  Is this announcement what she was waiting for?  Again, stay tuned.

(I've been incorrectly capitalizing the "f."  Opps.)

Had been told by several people that a Leflar hiring was essential to stem a mass exodus from the program.

4/10/2023 4:21 pm  #11

Curious how this plays out with our team. You know your coach WANTED to leave.  How do you reconcile that?  Or is that just the name of the game and everyone understands?

4/10/2023 7:48 pm  #12

I had envisioned Poog's scenario of of a mass exodus from the UMass program if Leflar wasn't hired, or even if the process was taking too long.  I'm mixing threads here but Sydney Taylor has entered the transfer portal via her Twitter account, also leaving the possiblility of returning to UMass.  I wonder if there's some NIL negotiations going on.  The Massachusetts Collective is dedicated to supporting players from both basketball teams.   

As for the players' reactions to a coach considering a better  job, I believe at this level (high mid-major to me) that most players are mature enough to understand the situation and glad /relieved if their coach doesn't leave.  Of course everyone reacts differently.

Sam Breen and Destiny Philoxy both expressed their happiness for Tory Verdi on his new job..  Of course, they announced that knowing they have no eligibility left.  Players who  still have eligibility were better served keeping their opinions to themselves.  

Board footera