GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/14/2023 11:15 am  #141

Re: GW's NIL Collective: Friends of George + General Discussion

Interesting article on NIL collectives operating at various levels in CBB this offseason:
https://www.on3.com/nil/news/college-basketball-transfer-portal-nil-collectives-deals-name-image-likeness/

4/14/2023 1:45 pm  #142

Dan Hurley looked straight into the camera moments after leading his team to a national championship.  He said he didn't want a player to come to UCONN due to the NIL offer they received.  He wanted kids who wanted to play for UCONN so they could play for him.

Sanogo is gone, now NBA draft eligible, the ink from his newly signed deal with Sunoco nearly dried.  As an international player, he had been ineligible for an NIL deal (though there is some confusion based on a possible loophole had the deal been signed outside of the U.S.

Back to Hurley, wanting players who will make decisions on where to play based on the coaching staff (and presumably in some cases, the academics, facilities, and the school itself) first and based on NIL opportunities secondarily.  I wonder where things stand right now.  Is this line of thinking a complete joke by now, is it still what matters to players most, or something in between?

Think about what CC is able to sell.  His own pedigree complete with proven abilities to develop players and possessing loads of contacts.  A, competitive midmajor basketball conference in the nation's capital.  Does a player listen to this sales pitch and think "great, now how much do you have for me?"

Do we want the player who only cares about NIL money?  Do we want the player who cares about other things too, but considers NIL a priority?  Or, are all but a handful of players now firmly in one of these two camps?

I am unclear as to whether college players now have agents.  Sure, they have parents, AAU coaches, and other assorted handlers.  Can agents be far behind?  This article indicates that NIL decisions are being made in a vacuum, with players not fully understanding whether what's being offered is their best offer or not.  

I think the vast majority of fans felt it was high time that players received compensation beyond a scholarship, given the tremendous time commitment it takes to be a D1 scholarship athlete.  Is this though what we were thinking?  Players essentially becoming free agents after each season?  No real regulation to speak of?  The wild, wild west as many have called it.

Hurley just wants guys who want to play for him.  It was said sincerely.  I'm afraid with each passng day, it's being more and more construed comically.

4/14/2023 2:05 pm  #143

The NCAA really needs to fix this NIL fiasco, and soon. The way I understood NIL, and the way I think it should work, is that players should get a cut of any jersey sold with their name on it. They should get a cut of any memorabilia that has their photo (image) on it. If a local pizza place asks a player to appear in a commercial for them they should be able to do so and get paid for it. This whole system of rich donors paying into dark funds to pay players under the table for playing for their alma mater is seedy and just wrong.

4/14/2023 2:52 pm  #144

Chalk this under the Be Careful What You Wish For category. If only our limited and naive view as fans as to what should be permitted were the lay of the land. Alas, barn door is open. Not exactly sure why we think Hurley or English or Caputo are playing under any different rules regarding NIL’s than any other coach or program. Only hope that NIL opportunities are tertiary consideration for possible recruits to the school and program being offered by GW.

4/14/2023 5:56 pm  #145

Since we're on the subject... anyone know why the site is still down?

4/14/2023 6:16 pm  #146

DC Native wrote:

The NCAA really needs to fix this NIL fiasco, and soon. The way I understood NIL, and the way I think it should work, is that players should get a cut of any jersey sold with their name on it. They should get a cut of any memorabilia that has their photo (image) on it. If a local pizza place asks a player to appear in a commercial for them they should be able to do so and get paid for it. This whole system of rich donors paying into dark funds to pay players under the table for playing for their alma mater is seedy and just wrong.

It’s almost like these guys should just get paid to play by the place that makes money off of their skills. If only there was a way to fix that where administrators and coaches and schools didn’t get rich off the backs of players while the players got zero dollars. just wish I could think of any industry where players get paid to play and make some of the money without it all going to the owners.

I just wish there was a solution to that problem…instead, we are exactly where we were but under a different name. Players getting paid to play from outside because the Universities and conferences refuse to pay them.

4/14/2023 6:23 pm  #147

What is the point of having pro teams, just with the college name on it?
Realize that has long happened with some effect, with major college teams, but nowhere near this crazy, transfer-encouraging extent.
There's a difference between helping out a college student be compensated in his part-time job or to get a cut of the money made off of his actual likeness and casting about for top salaries that make pro opportunities pale in comparison.
As usual, the NCAA screwed up and schools like us will pay the price.

4/14/2023 7:35 pm  #148

jf wrote:

What is the point of having pro teams, just with the college name on it?
Realize that has long happened with some effect, with major college teams, but nowhere near this crazy, transfer-encouraging extent.
There's a difference between helping out a college student be compensated in his part-time job or to get a cut of the money made off of his actual likeness and casting about for top salaries that make pro opportunities pale in comparison.
As usual, the NCAA screwed up and schools like us will pay the price.

The point of having pro sports with college names on it is because the “student-athlete” acts as a professional, earning money for everybody but themselves. The reason the kids have people paying them from off the street is because the schools want the money, as does the coach, AD, athletic staff, admin, conference folks, etc. but the kids who actually are what people tune in for—they make nothing. It doesn’t need to become professional for our enjoyment. It needs to become professional because everybody is getting paid but the entertainment

4/14/2023 8:14 pm  #149

The kids get  tuition,room and board.How much does it cost these days to go to GW?I think a scholarship 
is “money”.A lot of money.I don’t care that the school and everyone but the athletes make money.
The whole thing is an outrage and will obviously destroy college ball.It will be like triple A baseball-next step 
the “Majors”-the NBA.Granted I’m old school-I grew up with the Big five in Philly -those were the days my friends I thought they would never end-I’m clearly on the wrong side of history.

4/14/2023 9:06 pm  #150

GW69 wrote:

The kids get  tuition,room and board.How much does it cost these days to go to GW?I think a scholarship 
is “money”.A lot of money.I don’t care that the school and everyone but the athletes make money.
The whole thing is an outrage and will obviously destroy college ball.It will be like triple A baseball-next step 
the “Majors”-the NBA.Granted I’m old school-I grew up with the Big five in Philly -those were the days my friends I thought they would never end-I’m clearly on the wrong side of history.

I fully agree but I think we are in the minority.  Who knows….maybe the schools will ultimately make more money by having a profession, minor league team rather than amateurs, but it was the amateur aspect that really appealed to me.   “Let’s win one for Old State U!”  Paying the players takes much away from that.   Now  I get the feeling that instead of playing for the school, they are playing for opportunity to move up to a bigger school and more NIL money.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (4/15/2023 9:18 am)

4/15/2023 7:36 am  #151

This whole thing got screwed up because as is also the case with graduate assistants and adjunct professors, Universities do not want to compensate their labor or categorize them as employees. The NCAA could've devised a system by which athletes get a regulated % of "athletics revenue."  If a school is more successful or in a bigger conference, they'd obviously have a bigger pie to divide amongst their athletes.  Think of it not like a salary but like a dividend.

Students could be in local car dealership ads negotiated by the school, but they'd actually have to be in the ad, it wouldn't just be a "marketing" deal with some nebulous collective.

I disagree with LSF that just because the athletes would be receiving money from the university, it would take away the "win one for Old State U" vibe.  They'd still be students wearing the GW name on their jersey.  I'm sure we'd all be proud if a chemistry student made a scientific discovery at a GW lab, even though they were receiving $15 an hour for their on campus job.  

What's so dumb about the current environment is that the athletes are  "finally getting paid," but they're not getting paid with any of the money that has been the issue all along: media rights deals and licensing.  They're getting paid by the same terrible boosters and hangers on that have always been lurking in the shadows.  If the NCAA had spent the last 10 years being proactive instead of hoping the Supreme Court would save them, we'd probably be in a better situation for all and not end up in the Wild West.

Last edited by GW0509 (4/15/2023 8:04 am)

4/15/2023 8:42 am  #152

More to come later, but maybe the schools should just give the coaches free housing and extra education? Shouldn’t that be enough? Or is it only “money” when it comes to the black kids that play the game?

4/15/2023 5:37 pm  #153

Historically I have tended to either agree or “understand where you are “coming from” danjsport -but you
have lost me on this one.Black and white kids have received free college education due to their 
athletic abilities.Nice dealThey are primarily 18 to 22 years old-they can graduate with a BA or a Masters
degree and have a lifetime to make money.If they are good enough the NBA or Europe —if not in the professions of their choice.Student loans?Not.They are so fortunate.

4/17/2023 11:44 am  #154

danjsport wrote:

More to come later, but maybe the schools should just give the coaches free housing and extra education? Shouldn’t that be enough? Or is it only “money” when it comes to the black kids that play the game?

This is a pretty outrageous take Danj.  Is this really a race issue, or an issue where one group are young college students not yet out in the work world while the other group are professionals making a living?  Let's not get started with whether coaches are overpaid (most are) or whether players should be paid something (they should).  But to suggest or infer that things are the way they are because of race does not resonate with me at all.  

The real factor that makes this an issue to begin with is the revenue, largely broadcast revenue, that the NCAA realizes.  High school players, AAU players, middle school players....they all entertain us too.  Is anyone clamoring that these kids be paid?  Of course not, because these levels are not producing gazillions of dollars.

That said, I believe we are all in agreement that the NCAA has substantially botched NIL by doing nothing more than looking away and letting rich boosters gain significant control over where athletes end up going to school.

4/17/2023 1:31 pm  #155

Gwmayhem wrote:

danjsport wrote:

This is a pretty outrageous take Danj.  Is this really a race issue, or an issue where one group are young college students not yet out in the work world while the other group are professionals making a living?  Let's not get started with whether coaches are overpaid (most are) or whether players should be paid something (they should).  But to suggest or infer that things are the way they are because of race does not resonate with me at all.  

The real factor that makes this an issue to begin with is the revenue, largely broadcast revenue, that the NCAA realizes.  High school players, AAU players, middle school players....they all entertain us too.  Is anyone clamoring that these kids be paid?  Of course not, because these levels are not producing gazillions of dollars.

That said, I believe we are all in agreement that the NCAA has substantially botched NIL by doing nothing more than looking away and letting rich boosters gain significant control over where athletes end up going to school.

In the two money-making sports, the sports are primarily made up of black individual players, who earn the money for 1) largely white NCAA execs; 2) largely white school administrators; and 3) largely white coaching and athletic department staffs. These money making sports also wind up paying for the far more "white" sports so that those sports can be funded at the schools.  So, yes, I do think it's a race issue. I think a bunch of white folks profit off the hard work of the black people that are generating the money. 

I agree with you that the real issue is revenue. People (whether college, high school, or otherwise), should be paid in order to allow the business to stay open. For middle school and high school, I think there is no real money generated. But, truthfully, in theory, I'd have zero problems if the kids made money at those levels. Certainly for AAU, a profit making endeavor, kids should get paid. 

You say that the "young college students" are ":not yet out in the work world." But I think this is where we disagree. Those college students are given a schedule of when to practice, are asked to dedicate considerable time to the craft, and are required to uphold certain obligations to a University in order to play for them---all so they can "earn" an education that does not cost the school nearly as much as those athletes bring in. I'll ask why the coaches and admins count as "professionals," but the athletes don't?

The reason is because history has made it that way. Maybe this was not a problem when the NCAA was not raking in huge revenues with coaches/admins making millions off the backs of the players (yes, mostly black). But it's a different time now.

All that said- NIL was botched because the NCAA refuses to give up its control. People should be able to get paid what the market will bear. 

4/17/2023 3:07 pm  #156

Danj, I'll ask it very simply...if everything were reversed, if the vast majority of college basketball players were white, and even irrespective of the color of most coaches and administrators, would the players have been paid for quite some time?  If you honestly believe this answer is "yes", then I'll agree to disagree with you as profoundly as possible.

Again, there is no arguing that a bunch of people who are not playing the game are profiting from the talented players who historically have not been profiting (at least openly).  If you think though that the REASON for this has something to do with race, I just can't buy it.  The NCAA has long touted "amateurism", now becoming somewhat replaced with "student-athletes".  

There is also no arguing the time commitment that players put in, arguably far more than the average undergraduate student.  But this alone does not make playing college basketball a job.  These players are receiving an education as compensation and that should not be undermined.  Basketball in some cases is the very thing that allows an athlete an education that they otherwise may not have access to.  That education helps enable certain individuals to embark upon life-long professional careers that have nothing to do with sports.  The skills of being a college athlete, developing leadership skills, understanding how to be an effective teammate, how to problem solve, often translate quite well in "the real world."

Putting the race issue aside, what you seem to be saying is that the NCAA makes too much money now so any pretense of amateurism should fall by the wayside.  That, too, is a valid point.  

It's just your point about race.   

Last edited by Gwmayhem (4/17/2023 3:37 pm)

4/17/2023 4:15 pm  #157

Great Post, Mayhem. I think the first question you ask is more complicated than a simple yes or no. To avoid evading the question, I think the "general" answer would be "probably not for some time--but you'd see it sooner." But I also think the problems run deeper, which is addressed to your second point.

You say "These players are receiving an education as compensation and that should not be undermined. Basketball in some cases is the very thing that allows an athlete an education that they otherwise may  not have access to." This puts me right back to the "race" point that I'm raising. Let's start with where we easily agree. An education should not be undermined. It's important! It's helpful! Thank goodness these kids can get it. But you know who doesn't have that problem (generally) White kids! White kids have better access to loans, better connections to get into college, better societal benefits to make college an option for them. So, when you ask if the white kids would have gotten paid sooner--maybe not. But also, Johny Manziel and Tom Brady, and JJ Reddick would probably have been fine. 

You know what else helps enable people to start embarking on careers that might not have anything to do with sports? Money! Money lets people choose where to live, buy (or rent) houses, and even invest as they see fit. I don't think (and I don't think you think) this is a zero sum game. I think my passion for it would be different if it were all white kids getting screwed (and they would be getting screwed). But I think the whole "they should be happy with what they get--which is a "free" education (as long as they play basketball well enough and follow the rules only placed on athletes to keep getting it")--really hits me differently when it predominantly impacts black kids. It allows them to be taken advantage of; it allows them to be treated as though "this is enough, take it." 

I think it's a systemic race problem. And I think the failure to change it systemically has more to do with race than you're giving it credit for. 

As an aside, college internships on the hill (also something largely for white people) used to be unpaid. Now, they are paid. So, the answer to your question is--maybe.

4/18/2023 8:36 am  #158

danj, I do understand your thinking.  You are using sweeping generalizations to make your points but I suppose that's necessary when evaluating such a broad-based subject.  If nothing else, you've given me cause to think a bit differently about all of this, and for that you should be commended.  

Has the system been what it's been for so many decades because the athletes, who in the majority are black, are more vulnerable to being taken advantage of?  Am not ready to say that this is all there is to it but could this be a contributing factor?  As you suggest, perhaps moreso than I was willing to initially acknowledge.

5/11/2023 11:41 am  #159

If any of you have "RBX native coin" (whatever that is), you can bid on some new FOG NFTs starting tomorrow.  Apparently each NFT will have unique experiences to be redeemed by the holder directly with Coach Caputo himself. Still don't understand how we can do this but not a mixer at Tonic.

Coach Chris Caputo Releases Experiential NFT Drop on the RBX Network to Benefit GW Student Athletes – Cryptopolitan

5/11/2023 11:50 am  #160

Way too complicated for most of us lol.. I just want to donate and find out what they're doing with that $

Board footera