GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/12/2023 12:59 pm  #21

Re: GW beats Bowie St Game

John Thompson and his Georgetown powerhouse teams didn’t seem to have problems in their Big East games after perennially playing OOC cupcake opponents save for typically 1 game against a big-time opponent. GW may not beat Fordham or anyone else on their A10 schedule but it won’t be because of complacency or their schedule.

12/12/2023 1:22 pm  #22

LSF
you can definitely get coffee there. plus Capo sells the "Fauci pouchy" cocktails,,,AND you can go to Duke's Grocery, which is a casual sit-down restaurant with full bar that is adjacent to the western market

12/12/2023 2:07 pm  #23

Poog wrote:

John Thompson and his Georgetown powerhouse teams didn’t seem to have problems in their Big East games after perennially playing OOC cupcake opponents save for typically 1 game against a big-time opponent. GW may not beat Fordham or anyone else on their A10 schedule but it won’t be because of complacency or their schedule.

Poog, you may be ignoring the cumulative effect of playing so many easy games in a row.  At least 4, 5 if you were to count Navy, which we won't because this game was anything but easy.  If my memory is correct, Big John used to schedule the St. Leo's of the world fairly early on, as in November.  Even if some cupcakes were scheduled in December, the strong likelihood is that he would not schedule four ridiculously easy games in a row immediately before the start of the Big East season.  This is why I have some trepidation over the Fordham game where I otherwise might not...after a steady diet of Coppin, Bowie, Alcorn and UMES, taking the floor against Fordham may appear like playing a different sport.

12/12/2023 3:08 pm  #24

As we get ready for the excitement of playing a non-Division 1 team (hopefully with a win), back to LSF's issue, back to the LSF question. Always wondered about the restaurant/bar tucked away in the State Plaza hotel, on F St. between 21st and 22nd?
   Not sure it holds up for a full meal compared to nearby competitors pointed out above. But if they have a bar, it would be a quiet place. Anyone have any experience with it?

12/12/2023 5:09 pm  #25

jf wrote:

Assuming we hold a lead, we might as well give the end of the bench some experience and
give the walkons a decent run. Would like to see if Luke Cronin can use his height to advantage in the frontcourt.
    Not sure what this game does for us or how it makes sense, otherwise. Our schedule is weak enough as it is.

First, I can't imagine what you really meant by what you said was that you hope the scholarship players get some experience if we hold a lead.  A big lead is what's clearly implied given the Division 2 opponent and I can't recall an instance where 8th-12th type scholarship players did not receive more minutes than usual during a blowout 

Second, you specifically referred to the walk-ons getting a decent run.  That was really what my remark was referring to.  I suppose we can argue over what constitutes a decent run but as Rising suggests, the reality is this will practically never be more than say 5 minutes in a game and more likely closer to 2.  It would be one thing if we were playing 9-11 guys regularly but given the fact that we have several quality scholarship players who have not played very much, to me, it's far more important that they receive any excess minutes.  And that was my sole point.

12/12/2023 8:02 pm  #26

All scholarship players got run in the e 1st half.  Some good press looks  - not Particularly effective but lots of different rotations.

12/12/2023 8:54 pm  #27

Glad the team could have an easy one during finals.

Still need to clean up the bad passes.

We're on to Alcorn State.

12/12/2023 9:39 pm  #28

Not a whole lot to take away. Don't really care about margin of victory or whatever.

Positives:
- Many plays drawn up to get Stretch going offensively. Liked that.
- The bench guys got a lot of run.
- Antoine and Zam look good offensively but are still in progress defensively. I wonder whether we can take the ML approach and play either during conference play for a few minutes early on in games. I think they are good enough offensively to do so, but that's up to CC. Zam in particular could be a special player down the line once he improves his defensive awareness.
- Even not at 100% DBJ is just so impressive with his takes to the basket.
- Benny has really benefitted from more run the past couple games. Good teams will probably play off him and dare him to shoot the 3. He'll need to improve his shot there but you can see the potential from him.
- If games are close during A10 play late it will be impossible to keep Jacoi off the floor. He's a winning player in every sense of the word.
- The press looks were a nice change of pace, but the defense still feels somewhat non-disruptive.

Negatives:
- I actually saw somewhat of an improvement in unforced turnovers, but that's still a work in progress. This very much felt like a pickup game at times. Liked the aggression in transition, but it felt liked we were practicing hail mary passes for half the game. Incredibly some of them were actually executed, but I don't know how often those will be attempted in A10 play.
- The biggest problem tonight was the transition defense, which has been an issue all season but I've chosen to ignore it for the most part. That will need to be addressed before conference season starts. Guys have to run back and know who they're guarding when a team is running. Bowie State seemingly got half their points from plays where GW was scrambling.
- I would have liked CC to take a timeout when BSU went on a run in the second half, but that's his call. This game obviously didn't need any timeouts called, but that wouldn't have been the point for calling one. Just more of a reset to slow things down.

12/12/2023 11:01 pm  #29

Good to see so many different players playing well, good to see the team build and hold a 30 point lead, until the last 5 minutes

would rather see guys who work hard all year a rare extended chance on the court, in a game like this, then turning a 30 point lead to 40 points, which we could have easily done.

Last edited by The Dude (12/12/2023 11:02 pm)

12/12/2023 11:11 pm  #30

We are 9 and 2 yet according to ESPN there were only 1200 people at the game. Why is that? Smith Center only seats 5000, we should be able to pack it with rabid fans

12/12/2023 11:42 pm  #31

MVCOLONIAL wrote:

We are 9 and 2 yet according to ESPN there were only 1200 people at the game. Why is that? Smith Center only seats 5000, we should be able to pack it with rabid fans

The problem is not on the student side.  It's on the ticket-buying side.

12/13/2023 7:36 am  #32

12/13/2023 8:55 am  #33

Glad to see the deep bench get lots of minutes and make some shots. Hope the whole team works on transition defense before A10 play.

12/13/2023 9:47 am  #34

With the outcome never really in question, last night's exhibition (and we might as well refer to it as such given that the result is pretty much meaningless) gave CC an opportunity to watch his bench players (excluding the walk-ons) play extended minutes "under the lights."  If I am a coach, I am looking primarily for defensive effort and intensity.  I know that Zam, Antoine and Benny each possess skills on the offensive end.  If you're wondering why guys like Trey and Jacoi are playing as much as they do on a team that has JB and Max, look no further than the defensive effort they consistently provide.

I have not watched CC's press conference yet but I have to believe that he came away disappointed with this aspect of the game.  The transition D was certainly a part of this but so was the lack of discipline and hustle.  Guys were slow on rotations.  Bowie shot nearly 50% from the floor in the second half.  GW generated three fewer steals and committed four more turnovers for the game.

We can easily make the case that it's hard to keep the intensity up when you're leading by 30 points, and I would be more prone to buy this if our regulars were in the game for the lion's share of minutes.  However, by and large, the guys who were on the court while this lead was essentially being cut in half are the guys that CC is wondering whether he can trust on BOTH sides of the ball in close game situations.  (I am excluding Jacoi who is not in this boat and who also added to the poor play by uncharacteristically getting beat off the dribble on a couple of occasions, as well as Trey.)  This was a real opportunity for Antoine, Zam and Benny in particular to "show up" on the defensive end, and I'm afraid that they failed to make the most of this opportunity.  (To his credit, I thought Antoine was the most active defensively of the three.)

The 15 team turnovers is not ideal but also not so alarming when considering that the one thing the Bulldogs do quite well is turn teams over.  Granted, it's D2 players against D1 players but credit to our old friend Coach Brooks (a Karl Hobbs assistant at GW) for preparing his team to play hard for the full 40 minutes.

12/13/2023 11:46 am  #35

https://gwradio.com/ten-players-score-as-mens-basketball-cruises-to-88-73-win-over-bowie-state/

Asked Caputo postgame about scheduling a D2 game and he had a pretty interesting response:

“We've been told by the powers that be, you know, people on the NCAA Tournament selection committee. I was talking to a high major head coach yesterday, two days ago, who’s playing a D2 this week. You do your best with your schedule and then to give yourself some flexibility, it's like playing another buy game but obviously from a cost standpoint it doesn't cost what it would cost to buy a division 1 team. And quite a number of people in our league are doing it actually. Because I think everybody's basically been told, ‘Hey, instead of playing a really hard game or going on the road—‘ I think that's the other side of it. If you play a home and home, even if it's a decent opponent, you think that we should be able to beat them in our place, hopefully, then going on the road. It's actually better probably than going on the road. I don’t understand— I don't think the NET accounts for [D2 schools] at all. So I guess that's fine, right? It doesn't really affect it. None of those metrics go into it against Division 2 or non-division 1 opponent. It bothers me a little bit because— What bothers me is like, I don't want to be thinking about the NET when you're trying to think about how to get guys playing time. Things like that.” 

Does that come into your mind? 

“Not right now. We're not quite there yet. I joked with the guys when we were playing Stonehill and we're up 40 and they were like ‘hey, do we want to go with the walk-ons?’ I’m like ‘how about the NET? What’s the NET say about that?’ But it’s the right thing to do, but it's— it is what it is.”

Last edited by gwstudent2024 (12/13/2023 11:47 am)

12/13/2023 4:28 pm  #36

MVCOLONIAL wrote:

An exhibition game in December doesn't exactly get the juices flowing.

12/13/2023 4:48 pm  #37

The Ross-Man is correct; don't call into question why people won't come out to watch GW play Bowie State.  Or for that matter, each of our OOC home opponents.  (I think Hofstra could have drawn a better crowd had it been held on a weekend.  Perhaps Navy as well.)  If you think this is a problem now, wait until the A10 games start and we're still drawing under 3,000 for most games. 

I'll repeat what I've said before: GW has the second largest alumni among all DMV schools who still live in the DC Metro area.  More than Mason.  More than Georgetown.  Only College Park has more.  And yet, what do we do to try to attract alums to attend games?  Sure, an active alum may see a promotion for an alumni night but what if you're not active?  You could mail to these folks, you could email to these folks, you can even advertise on Instagram, Facebook or LinkedIn to these folks.   I guarantee that if you reached 50,000 people this way, at least 500 who have not been to a game since they were students would attend.  Most will bring guest so now, attendance has grown by at least 1,000.  I suspect many would then attend future games.

But, not a whole lot gets done to coax the alumni in the area to attend games.  And that's pretty much why the building is almost always less than half full.

12/13/2023 5:53 pm  #38

We now have a good product to sell.  It is on the school to market it appropriately to put people in the seats.

12/13/2023 7:46 pm  #39

I absolutely agree that this is a marketing problem. We have an incredible product - high level competitive live sports in a great stadium for $10/cheap ticket.

This is the same price point as American. $15 cheaper than Howard. $10 cheaper than Georgetown. $10 less than UMD. And like $8 less than going to see a movie.

Especially now that we are having a touch of success - GW is some of the best bang-for-your-buck entertainment in the entire city. I tell people about the price point all the time and among people with even the mildest interest in sports, the response is universally - wow, I didn’t know that, I should check that out.

12/13/2023 8:27 pm  #40

Steve wrote:

I absolutely agree that this is a marketing problem. We have an incredible product - high level competitive live sports in a great stadium for $10/cheap ticket.

This is the same price point as American. $15 cheaper than Howard. $10 cheaper than Georgetown. $10 less than UMD. And like $8 less than going to see a movie.

Especially now that we are having a touch of success - GW is some of the best bang-for-your-buck entertainment in the entire city. I tell people about the price point all the time and among people with even the mildest interest in sports, the response is universally - wow, I didn’t know that, I should check that out.

Out of curiosity, how many of those I didn’t know actually check it out?

Board footera