GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/21/2023 5:52 pm  #21

Re: GW beats Alcorn St Game

Rough game.  We dialed up some tougher defense at the end.  Very poor weak side rebounding throughout the game.  Quick guards driving past us forcing help but we did not rotate a body over to block out

12/21/2023 6:53 pm  #22

A win is a win but it wasn't pretty

12/21/2023 7:28 pm  #23

Rough game, especially on defense, but there is a silver lining, at least for me. Generally when a lesser team is able to keep it close against a better team, the lesser team starts believing they can win and the better team starts believing they could lose. That has happened a lot to us in recent years. What I saw at the game was that Alcorn definitely believed they could win in the second half, maybe even believed they would win, but I never saw a sign that GW ever thought they would lose. That mental toughness will serve us well in A10 play.

12/21/2023 7:34 pm  #24

I really thought about rooting for Alcorn State because, good for them, they were really trying harder. They fought (to have a chance at their 2nd win in 13 games) and never gave up, despite a brutal 12 game travel road schedule. Alcorn outhustled out and as noted, out wanted us. And frankly, deserved it more.
    When Alcorn chose, they lived in the paint, feasting on layups and putbacks, especially with Stretch out. They were smaller than us, but more athletic, and certainly quicker, as pointed out by others. No. 3, who appeared to be approaching middle age, really torched us. Maybe he wants to transfer here before he retires.
    This is, as DMV tried to point out very politely, another of several lack of intensity/attention to detail game. Others would indeed see it as low energy. We also got caught in several traps. Don't know if is pre-and post-exams or some bug that lasts for weeks, or just thinking we're better than these guys before actually proving it. But it has to stop in A-10 play.
   CC was clearly unhappy with the performance (or lack thereof) while grateful for the win. He termed it
the worst defensive performance of the year.
    James, who can will us to a win, also very manfully and leader-like said in the press conference the team wasn't up for the game as it should--and even blamed himself as the senior leader. He may have been too hard on himself. But it is another aspect of James' growing maturity that will serve him well in basketball and life.
         Still, a great group of talented guys.
     As long as we beat mighty Maryland Eastern Shore at home, and stay focused and compete as hard and intelligently as we can in A-10 play, we can put it in the rear view mirror.

12/21/2023 7:35 pm  #25

DC Native wrote:

Rough game, especially on defense, but there is a silver lining, at least for me. Generally when a lesser team is able to keep it close against a better team, the lesser team starts believing they can win and the better team starts believing they could lose. That has happened a lot to us in recent years. What I saw at the game was that Alcorn definitely believed they could win in the second half, maybe even believed they would win, but I never saw a sign that GW ever thought they would lose. That mental toughness will serve us well in A10 play.

A win's a win even though it dropped us in KenPom. Agree that's a game that previous teams would've lost in the second half. Hopefully next season we'll finally rid ourselves of nailbiters against sub-300 teams.

12/21/2023 11:33 pm  #26

The offense was fine.   Took mostly good shots, shooting 48% from field and 44% from the three.   Turnovers are still much too high, with 16.   It is all about the defense, or lack of the same.   We simply cannot defend anyone it seems.   They were running layup drills against us for a good part of the game.  We would lose our man on defense. The front court, in particular, is woeful.  We gave up 20 offensive rebounds and were out rebounded overall 44-28.  And Alcorn State was not tall..  Between the lack of rebounding and the turnovers,  Alcorn State a whopping 22 more shots in the game than we did.  We have a serious problem up front.   Stretch is a wonderful shot blocker but overall  is not a good defender.  Schroder is giving us nothing on offense or defense.   To me, it looks like he is pressing, and each time he was put in the game he was pulled shortly thereafter due to his poor play .  And as much as we all like Garrett Johnson, he too is not a defender,.  I am not sure what 6'8" Zam, 6'11" 230 pound Harvey or even 6'7" Antoine Smith need to do to get in the game, but one of them surely has to be an  upgrade over Schroeder at this point.  My game guest Wisconsin Colonial pointed out that despite their record, Alcorn State has played a brutal  schedule (4th hardest in the country), all on the road whereas GW has played mostly cupcakes at home, and has strenght of schedule of 350.   This may be the reason that Alcorn State seemed far more prepared to play us than we  were to play them.   This schedule has given us a gawdy record, but has done us no favors when it comes time for conference play.  As for the announced attendence of 1,149, that included a sizeable contingent who came to see Stonehill in the women's game, as well as those who came to see our women.   I cannot imagine that there was more than 500-600 in the house to watch the me.  

12/21/2023 11:45 pm  #27

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

The offense was fine.   Took mostly good shots, shooting 48% from field and 44% from the three.   Turnovers are still much too high, with 16.   It is all about the defense, or lack of the same.   We simply cannot defend anyone it seems.   They were running layup drills against us for a good part of the game.  We would lose our man on defense. The front court, in particular, is woeful.  We gave up 20 offensive rebounds and were out rebounded overall 44-28.  And Alcorn State was not tall..  Between the lack of rebounding and the turnovers,  Alcorn State a whopping 22 more shots in the game than we did.  We have a serious problem up front.   Stretch is a wonderful shot blocker but overall  is not a good defender.  Schroder is giving us nothing on offense or defense.   To me, it looks like he is pressing, and each time he was put in the game he was pulled shortly thereafter due to his poor play .  And as much as we all like Garrett Johnson, he too is not a defender,.  I am not sure what 6'8" Zam, 6'11" 230 pound Harvey or even 6'7" Antoine Smith need to do to get in the game, but one of them surely has to be an  upgrade over Schroeder at this point.  My game guest Wisconsin Colonial pointed out that despite their record, Alcorn State has played a brutal  schedule (4th hardest in the country), all on the road whereas GW has played mostly cupcakes at home, and has strenght of schedule of 350.   This may be the reason that Alcorn State seemed far more prepared to play us than we  were to play them.   This schedule has given us a gawdy record, but has done us no favors when it comes time for conference play.  As for the announced attendence of 1,149, that included a sizeable contingent who came to see Stonehill in the women's game, as well as those who came to see our women.   I cannot imagine that there was more than 500-600 in the house to watch the me.  

Give Benny a break.  He was apparently very sick.

Along with all the easy layups and putbacks, Alcorn threw up a lot of slop shots and tough step backs that all seemed to go in (until a couple minute stretch late that let us pull away, when their tough shots didn’t fall) so their confidence really grew.  I thought garret and James particularly struggled on defense and a lot of the offensive rebounds were not so much failing to box out, but were a result of our big(s) being out of position having to help a man who got badly beat off the dribble (and some were just them being quicker to loose balls - our reactions were just really slow today). 

Offensively, I thought we shot poorly despite the 44% from three outcome.  Alcorn was gifting open three after open three and we missed at least 10 that we should have made.  On another day, we set a school record for threes and win comfortably despite the bad defense and losing most 50-50 balls.

Still, better to win this ugly than lose to New Hampshire or Central Connecticut, like Rhody and Fordham did today. 

And on a positive note, I continue to be really impressed with Jacoi on both ends of the floor. While we’ll miss James’ scoring, I suspect our defense will be improved with Jacoi playing more minutes (as a sophomore).

12/22/2023 8:34 am  #28

Noting that Alcorn St played upperclassmen exclusively while we relied on underclassmen (mostly freshmen) outside of Bishop and Stretch—who only played 17 minutes.  Also it would’ve been a much more comfortable lead throughout if both teams had hit their FTs at their normal clip.

12/22/2023 8:46 am  #29

Free Quebec wrote:

And on a positive note, I continue to be really impressed with Jacoi on both ends of the floor. While we’ll miss James’ scoring, I suspect our defense will be improved with Jacoi playing more minutes (as a sophomore).

Jacoi’s offense has been flourishing as he gets more comfortable.  While he was pretty rough early in the season, he’s averaging a stellar 118 offensive efficiency rating in the last five games bringing his season rating to 92.

Not to be outdone, Trey is third on the team in offensive efficiency at 110 after Darren and Garrett.  That’s three freshmen with efficient offensive games leading the team.  Has to be a rare occurrence.

12/22/2023 9:39 am  #30

Lots of opinions this morning, not just about the Alcorn State game but about season-long patterns that have turned into concerns.  Let's start by saying that all of us have a right to our opinions so if you're of the mindset that nobody should have the right to bitch about a 10-2 team, then maybe this post isn't for you.

The 10-2 record is in my mind, more of an expectation than anything else.  This schedule is ridiculously easy and this was known before the season ever started.  But what about winning all of these games we're supposed to win, something this program has been unable to do in some time?  All I can say is if that's your barometer for success, beating teams like W&M and Coppin State who GW has lost to in the past, then my opinion is that you're shooting way too low.  There's a reason why there are schools that you are "supposed to beat".  It's because you have better teams than they do,

It remains to be seen whether this OOC schedule prepared us, did not prepare us, or had no bearing on the team's ability to compete at a high level in the A10.  Taking a step back, what I do think has emerged are a number of patterns or habits which become harder to break the longer they endure.  What is clear is that if we don't change our ways, at least with respect to some of these areas, we will have a difficult time achieving any realistic goals.  So, here are these thoughts:

1) This team is very talented offensively, and it knows it.  Simply put, we have more weapons on offense than ever before.  More guys who can reliably make three pointers.  More guys who can bring the ball up and start the offense.  More guys who can make creative passes by seeing the whole floor.  There are reasons why our tempo is as fast as it is and our PPG is as high as it is. 

2) So, what does "it knows it" mean?  Perhaps due to the level of competition it has faced, supreme faith in one another, or both, this team seems to often make things harder on itself.  It ignores clear path layups to try fancy passes instead.  It routinely throws cross court passes which often result in turnovers.  Or, it simply makes one too many passes.  Kudos to unselfish play but at the same time, this often ends up being the incorrect play.  Guys need to understand when to make the easy play.

3) My sense is that several players very clearly prefer to play offense to defense.  Sometimes, this may be because one's defensive skills are limited.  In other cases, it may simply be more about desire.  No need to name names other than to say that this team's offense is miles away from its defense right now.

4) The lackadaisical, careless turnovers may again be the result of knowing this will not cost the team wins against this schedule, or it may be signs of a team that does not know how to minimize these.  Turn the ball over 16-20 times against A10 opponents and you will be making wins much harder to come by.

5) Who isn't excited about Stretch going for a blocked shot?  It's great when he succeeds but not at all great when he doesn't.  Either Stretch ends up out of position after a missed block attempt or the other teammates on the floor are not boxing out and are clearly not providing any weakside help on the boards.  It's one thing to get burned by this once or twice a game but the amount of times that opponents are scoring off of putbacks is inexcusable.  My feeling is that you have to let Stretch keep going for blocks because that's where he offers enormous value.  But the other 4 guys....start hitting the boards. 

6) In general, the defense just seems to be one step behind, late to close out shooters, and just overall apathetic.  It's great to watch Jun take over a game defensively late in a game as he did yesterday and against Navy.  However, and I'm addressing most everyone and not just Jun, where is this defensive intensity throughout the game?  To be clear, nobody is capable of giving 100% defensive intensity all of the time.  That's not how it works.   But right now, this team is coasting defensively for the first 37 minutes and then turning the defense on late when it has to.  Not a great recipe for future success.

There are of course exceptions.  Stretch going for blocks does constitute important defense, and I enjoy watch Jacoi and Trey work as hard as they do on the defensive end.  That said, we simply need a lot more from the others on the defensive end.

12/22/2023 11:10 am  #31

Agree with many of the comments. 
There are certain truisms in sports such as you play to the level of your opponents.  The soft OOC is a bit concerning in that we played down to weaker teams and didn’t get challenged to grind it out.  Defense and rebounding is effort driven plus sound fundamentals.  Bad foul shooting and bad passing is lapse in concentration. 

Gotta say that my favorite combination on the floor was when CC used JB4, Darren, Jacoi, Trey, and Garrett.  There was good all around play with better ball security and spacing.

My hope is that we raise our intensity in time for Fordham.  I’m confident the coaching staff will have them ready. 

I’ve watched Umass a few times, and they nearly beat Georgia Tech.  They looked hungry and eager and I look forward to us matching it.  Can we flip that magic switch?  Hope so!!!

12/22/2023 12:54 pm  #32

As usual, good points, especially by LSF.
Do wonder why if Benny was sick, why we would play him against Alcorn State--or why he was even on the bench if it was contagious? However, CC said postgame he didn't know about it. Glad Benny's a competitor and his game didn't seem particularly different. But if we need Benny or really anyone against Alcorn State, we have a problem. Apparently, Alcorn State was missing its best player and still played us down to the wire.
One the positive side, Jacoi's defensive effort is pretty consistent and impressive. A very smart player from the start of his college.
And of the true freshmen, Trey and Jacoi do look really look like players at least so far. Provides hope for the future, along with Garrett and Darren and of course, the great Max, if the interior problem is fixed.

12/22/2023 1:10 pm  #33

We were told that seveal members of the team had recently had the flu so I will give Schroder a pass on his awful game vs. Alcorn State.  Notwithstanding, at least for me he has been the most disappointing of the new arrivals, or at least the new arrivals who play.  (Admittedly I would like to see more of Zam and Smith).   Given his credentials of having been on the Under 20 team in Germany, I was expecting  Schroder to be more ready to play, however he has not shown me much over the season.    On offense, he seems to have no interior game other than the occasional dunk, has thrown up nothing but bricks from the 3 (albeit on limited attempts) and has more turnovers than assists for the season.  On defense, I have no other way to put it other than he regularly gets beat like a drum.  I have no reason to believe that he won't develop into a solid player, but at least at this time, I would like to see one of the 2 aforementioned players (Zam or Smith) or Keegan get some of his minutes and see what they can do other than in garbage time.  Someone tell me why I am wrong.    As for the game itself, our NET dropped from 109 to 131.  That is an amazing 22 places after a win.  I am in need of more convincing to believe that these home games against extremely week opponants (300 and worse) benefit the program team in any way.

12/22/2023 1:11 pm  #34

jf wrote:

As usual, good points, especially by LSF.
Do wonder why if Benny was sick, why we would play him against Alcorn State--or why he was even on the bench if it was contagious? However, CC said postgame he didn't know about it. Glad Benny's a competitor and his game didn't seem particularly different. But if we need Benny or really anyone against Alcorn State, we have a problem. Apparently, Alcorn State was missing its best player and still played us down to the wire.
One the positive side, Jacoi's defensive effort is pretty consistent and impressive. A very smart player from the start of his college.
And of the true freshmen, Trey and Jacoi do look really look like players at least so far. Provides hope for the future, along with Garrett and Darren and of course, the great Max, if the interior problem is fixed.

Thank  you JF.  FYI...we were told at the pregame dinner that Alcorn State was missing both their best player AND their starting point guard.   

12/22/2023 1:21 pm  #35

We were told that seveal members of the team had recently had the flu so I will give Schroder a pass on his awful game vs. Alcorn State.  Notwithstanding, at least for me he has been the most disappointing of the new arrivals, or at least the new arrivals who play.  (Admittedly I would like to see more of Zam and Smith).   Given his credentials of having been on the Under 20 team in Germany, I was expecting  Schroder to be more ready to play, however he has not shown me much over the season.    On offense, he seems to have no interior game other than the occasional dunk, has thrown up nothing but bricks from the 3 (albeit on limited attempts) and has more turnovers than assists for the season.  On defense, I have no other way to put it other than he regularly gets beat like a drum.  I have no reason to believe that he won't develop into a solid player, but at least at this time, I would like to see one of the 2 aforementioned players (Zam or Smith) or Keegan get some of his minutes and see what they can do other than in garbage time.  Someone tell me why I am wrong.    As for the game itself, our NET dropped from 109 to 131.  That is an amazing 22 places after a win.  I am in need of more convincing to believe that these home games against extremely week opponants (300 and worse) benefit the program team in any way.

You ain’t wrong. Schroeders defense, in particular, doesn’t stand up to even the weakest levels of competition we’ve seen so far.  I honestly shudder thinking about A-10 guards flying by him. We will get used to seeing the back of his jersey.  Not sure how that gets fixed, even with time, but think we need to seriously lower expectations we had for him.

12/22/2023 1:27 pm  #36

Given his credentials of having been on the Under 20 team in Germany, I was expecting Schroder to be more ready to play, however he has not shown me much over the season. On offense, he seems to have no interior game other than the occasional dunk, has thrown up nothing but bricks from the 3 (albeit on limited attempts) and has more turnovers than assists for the season. On defense, I have no other way to put it other than he regularly gets beat like a drum. I have no reason to believe that he won't develop into a solid player, but at least at this time, I would like to see one of the 2 aforementioned players (Zam or Smith) or Keegan get some of his minutes and see what they can do other than in garbage time. Someone tell me why I am wrong.

I don't know that I agree with this. If we're comparing him to Garrett or Darren, then I guess but that's moreso a credit to those guys for playing really well than I think Benny being a disappointment. I think Benny has shown flashes of doing a number of different things on offense, whether it's cutting to the basket, knocking down a short jumper in the paint to break a zone, or driving the ball to the basket himself. I feel like he's pressing partly due to him not playing a lot of minutes. I agree that he will need to become more of a threat from 3. After he made his very first attempt where he was fouled against Stonehill, none of the others have been close but as you mentioned he hasn't been 100% due to illness and injury.

Benny has been beat off the dribble defensively, but let's be honest. Who on this team hasn't? That's an area where the team is going to have to show more effort come conference play. It's been a long time since I've seen a GW team not be beat off the bounce. The only difference this year is that we have Akingbola to erase some of those times guys get beat. I think the international guys also need a bit more time to adjust defensively (Mara from UCLA is a guy who comes to mind - a highly rated international guy who is still trying to find his footing). Benny has room for improvement there, but he has the strength/length to be a factor.

As for Zam, Antoine, and Keegan, I'm not sure that any of them taking Benny's minutes would solve anything at the moment. I like that the coaching staff is bringing Zam along slowly, but he is definitely not ready right now. The few minutes of court time that he's had he has shown very little to no awareness defensively (worse than Benny). Antoine I feel like was brought in to be a backup plan in case Garrett wasn't ready offensively. Smith is a good shooter but isn't strong enough to contest consistently on defense and isn't going to be on the team long term either. Hopefully Keegan feels better soon but again he just doesn't have the strength to compete down low (although I liked his energy in garbage time against SC).

12/22/2023 2:56 pm  #37

You are right DMV...He has shown some glimpess.  All I am not saying replace Benny with one of the other 3, just give them some of the minutes that were intended for him.   I fully agree that he is pressing (said that during the game yesterday) but it may be because he is not playing minutes or frustrated at his own level of play.  The would more likley explain his offensive woes, not his defense.  Instead of giving his time to a third or even 4th guard on the court, I would try one of the other bigger players.    The defense could not be much worse.   It seems like the only good defensive games we have are against teams that are more reliant on the 3 point shot, and even then the good defense very well may be the other team having an off day on the 3.   What GW needs is Antxon Iturbe (does he have any eligibility left), even though Stretch and Iturbe on the court at the same time would not make for a lethal duo on offense.  Who remembers Antxon?

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (12/22/2023 3:10 pm)

12/22/2023 5:22 pm  #38

Benny is currently averaging just under 13 minutes a game which isn't a lot to begin with (it's actually closer to 10 if you take out any D1 games that weren't blowouts). Cutting his minutes decreases his margin for error and doesn't help him work through mistakes. I'd imagine come conference play his minutes are probably going down by default anyways as the starters log more minutes. CC also isn't likely to go with more than eight guys barring any injuries.

I'm not sure that it makes sense to go with additional guys just because the defense can't get worse. Zam is the only one with actual defensive potential of the 3 you mentioned and he just isn't ready to play non garbage time minutes at this point - especially against A10 foes. When he's been in, he's straight up forgotten to rotate allowing his man to get wide open layups. He just needs time adjusting to CBB. While Benny has been burned on drives, he hasn't completely missed rotating over to the extent that Zam has. Weluche-Ume probably gets more run next season and I'm excited to see him develop.

Also, Schroder is one of the few players who has actually played passing lanes on occasion defensively which I'd like GW to do more of (Max and Jacoi are others that come to mind that have generated pressure defensively).

Antoine probably only plays if GW is down by a lot and needs three point shooting to get back in the game. Keegan has height but isn't a long term solution. I wouldn't play either over Benny if we are considering Schroder to be a key piece on future teams. I think he has more potential with his length than them and wouldn't sacrifice that by playing Harvey/Smith for a few minutes but perhaps we just see that differently. It's a good debate for sure.

The issues being burned on defense apply to all the guys who spend time along the perimeter, not just Benny. Others may have an edge on offense, but that shouldn't give them a pass on defense either (again, love what JB has done for GW, but he just isn't a good defender - I believe his defensive rating is the worst on the team). After all, they are playing more minutes than Benny. Credit Garrett for acknowledging this during the presser yesterday.

12/22/2023 6:43 pm  #39

https://gwradio.com/basketball-teams-sweep-thursday-doubleheader/

Recap of women's and men's game in here from yesterday. Hope you enjoy and happy holidays to all

Board footera