GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/19/2023 12:00 pm  #21

Re: NET Ratings

GW0509 wrote:

@GoodmanHoops 1h
Iowa State moved up to No. 6 in the NET after its 38-point win over FAMU. The Cyclones don't have a win over an NCAA tourney team, and seven of their nine victories have come against sub-200 teams.

They are 13 in KenPom so perhaps it makes sense.  They did beat Iowa by 25 and they are destroying the weak teams on their schedule by an average of about 41 points a game. But still a fascinating case in how the metrics can be misleading.  Will be interesting to see how they fare in the B12.

12/20/2023 10:53 am  #22

Apparently some bracketologist named Mike Decourcy from FOX has GW in the "next four out". Posting it in the NET thread because I'm guessing that's why we're even in consideration? I'm not seeing any metric where GW is even remotely close to the bubble. Will take the extra attention that comes with it though!

12/20/2023 11:00 am  #23

dmvpiranha wrote:

Apparently some bracketologist named Mike Decourcy from FOX has GW in the "next four out". Posting it in the NET thread because I'm guessing that's why we're even in consideration? I'm not seeing any metric where GW is even remotely close to the bubble. Will take the extra attention that comes with it though!

Wow.  Great find. 

No idea what he’s thinking other than he’s thinking maybe tje A10 has a shot at 3 bids and our 9-2 record made him take notice?  Maybe he meant George Mason, who is 69th in the net?

12/20/2023 12:01 pm  #24

Even though it may be waaaaaaay off base, it still felt good to read it.

12/20/2023 12:48 pm  #25

https://btn.com/2023/10/09/big-ten-network-announces-on-air-basketball-talent-for-2023-24-season/
FYI, DeCourcy is a regular on the Big 10 Network. But we are not on any bubble.

12/20/2023 4:31 pm  #26

DeCourcy was or is THE college basketball guy for The Sporting News as well.  I say was or is since I honestly don't know if any version of this publication even exists anymore.  He has generally been a straight shooter rather than one of those types who barks out stupid stuff to try to make headlines.

He is however just a tad off on this one.  If he honestly meant George Mason and included GW by mistake, I will consider this payback for 2005-06 when some guy won a gazillion dollars from ESPN for picking Mason to reach the Final 4 when he really meant to pick GW.

12/20/2023 8:48 pm  #27

DeCourcy has been around so long I remember him from the days when I was getting SN hard copy mailed to me. Based on this, Mike may have stayed at the dance a bit too long.

12/22/2023 2:30 pm  #28

DeCourcy's unfazed by our play vs. Alcorn State.  Still listed in the next four out.

Last edited by GW0509 (12/22/2023 2:52 pm)

12/23/2023 10:49 am  #29

Lowest ranked ten-win team and lowest ranked two-loss team on KenPom.  FWIW I’m OK with the weak schedule considering a) all new team, b) so many freshmen, and c) league gaming the NET.

12/23/2023 1:04 pm  #30

BM wrote:

Lowest ranked ten-win team and lowest ranked two-loss team on KenPom. FWIW I’m OK with the weak schedule considering a) all new team, b) so many freshmen, and c) league gaming the NET.

Lowest ranked nine-win and two-loss team in NET also.  (NET doesn't recognize D-2 win).

Board footera