GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2024 9:59 pm  #61

Re: GW vs Fordham Game

Them calling a shot clock violation after the ball hit the rim to start OT3 and thus not calling the foul as Garett got tackled was horrendous.

I am (at least somewhat) blaming the refs.

1/03/2024 10:10 pm  #62

Helluva game

1/03/2024 10:16 pm  #63

I’m exhausted

1/03/2024 10:44 pm  #64

Refs were horrendous. It’s genuinely impressive that CC didn’t go full Hurley on them multiple times.

Shame we couldn’t pull it out. Bishop and DBJ deserved the W.

Last edited by GW0509 (1/03/2024 10:44 pm)

1/03/2024 10:46 pm  #65

100%. I think I saw Caputo as angry as I’ve seen him tonight. And I saw him that angry about 5 times.

1/03/2024 10:51 pm  #66

Box out, rebounding?

1/03/2024 10:52 pm  #67

These… are also to blame…

1/03/2024 11:00 pm  #68

I don't think i've mentioned the refs once in 10+ years posting on this and the previous board but jeez that was bad. The thing that validates it the most is that was by far the most animated CC has ever been on the sidelines. He kicked the scorers table at one point.

After a month of getting used to watching the likes of Navy, Coppin State, Bowie State, Alcorn State, and UMES, by comparison Fordham looked like the best team I'd ever seen for the first 10 minutes. Just a different level of skill and athleticism than we'd been seeing. I know a lot goes into scheduling strategy, but I'm just not sure that schedule was the best approach to prepare for A10 level opponents (even a mid-to-lower tier one). They seemed a bit shell shocked for the first 5-10 minutes. 

Even by 3-OT standards that was the most exhausted I've seen a team in a long time. Any word on Benny? Could have used even just 10 minutes from him today. A bit surprised they're not finding a few minutes for Antoine Smith, or letting Trey get a little more run (though he did have a couple of bad mistakes in regulation).

If anyone from the athletic department is reading this, for the love of god you need to do something with the student section for the Davidson game. For anyone not in the arena, what happened today was the section behind the Fordham bench was filled with Fordham fans, and the rest of the lower section filled sporadically, because students are on break. So the loudest fans sitting near the court were Fordham fans. Email season ticket holders to sit in the student section, tell fans sitting in the endzone near the GW bench (where there are a lot of young alums) to sit in the student section. Please just do something about it, that was embarrassing today. 

1/03/2024 11:02 pm  #69

1/03/2024 11:11 pm  #70

We've been fortunate to not have to feel just how crushing it is to lose a game that goes into overtime for a while but man it doesn't feel great. There are no sure games in the league, but a home game against Fordham is as favorable as it gets. It's a long season though and there's a lot the young guys can learn from the game.

There are times GW could have boxed out better for sure, but I see many of the offensive rebounds the same as diving for a loose ball. I'm not saying guys aren't diving on the floor or battling on the glass but for several seasons now (across coaches) it feels like GW never comes out on the winning side of the 50-50 loose balls. Sure there were a few the team won tonight but Fordham seemed to win those 80% or more of the time.

Some other thoughts:
1) It was nice to see the team come out focused and ready to go. Additionally, it was nice to see an efficient effort offensively for the first time in a while against a decent defensive squad. However, the offense felt way too much in isolation at times. The team finished with just 11 assists, and remember this game lasted 55 minutes. There's no denying DBJ is a stud, and JB can make plays in isolation, but where is the passing? I can't help but feel additional points were left on the table because we were too predictable. That's partly a product of the way Fordham defends, but we played right into their hand.

2) This is obvious, but the defense along the perimeter was pitiful and it's not just been this game. The only difference is that Fordham made GW pay for all the open shots whereas previous teams may have not been skilled enough to make those shots consistently. There were plays where Charlton was coming off a screen where I knew what was going to happen before the play unfolded and yet the rotations were blown on the court. You can credit Fordham for making those shots (19 in any game is incredible) but GW gifted those shots to them. It wasn't like they were making contested shots.

3) Stretch was switched onto Medor for a number of possessions in overtime. Akingbola did an admirable job guarding him, but it appeared CC did not feel comfortable going a bit smaller on defense when Fordham did.

4) This team's depth has been disappointing. Whether you chalk that up to the closely fought games against lesser competition or what, this team can't go more than 8 deep. Normally that's not a major issue but it becomes a problem in games that go to overtime like this one. It was unfortunate that Benny was under the weather, but assuming Antoine is healthy this game seemed to cement that he's not close to making the rotation anytime soon. This was more apparent watching Fordham go deep into their bench.

5) Despite a lot of things going against us, CC did a great job managing the game, whether it was drawing up the DBJ layup to force single overtime, the DBJ dunk to force a third overtime, or even managing JB's minutes by substituting Jacoi in for defense (which had to be done especially later in the game when JB picked up his fourth foul).

6) GW lost this game because they were brutally bad defending the three (even if Fordham couldn't miss) but that doesn't mean the refs weren't bad. It started from the tip (quite literally) when they called a foul on JB for going after the ball. As time went on in the game, they felt more and more reluctant to call any fouls on Fordham despite GW consistently drawing contact. There was also one really bad play that I think will get overlooked where Darren's shot was altered by Fordham. Not only did they not call contact (which I could live with on that play) but they called the ball out on him which was highly questionable. But yeah, Gray slapping the backcourt after his dunk was 100% unsportsmanlike and merited a technical foul. It felt like a repeat of the Washington State game from last year. GW never seems to get the benefit of the doubt on those calls.

I'll just say this: Fordham came into the game averaging over 20 fouls per game, and they finished the game with 22 after 3 OTs. 10 of these were called in the first half, so we're talking just 12 fouls called on Fordham in the final 35 minutes of the game. The way the Rams play on defense lends itself to a lot of fouls yet not enough were called.

The team will have to somehow regroup after a tough loss. Unfortunately, the next opponent is against VCU at their place and the Rams are going to be playing angry coming off a double digit loss to Bona. The only saving grace is that they don't really do havoc anymore but things could get ugly Saturday.

1/03/2024 11:44 pm  #71

I understand the ref-bashing, and the loss was disappointing, but I left the Charles E. tonight with nothing but satisfaction (even if it was muted without the victory).  It was a great game, one of the most entertaining I've seen at GW, and I was impressed with how player after player on both teams rose to the occasion when needed.

Also, I do believe that this game being pre-semester start hurt us.  With no students there and Fordham bringing a really large contingent of fans (most sitting on every side of my seats), this felt like a road game at times.  

I remain optimistic, sitting in my corner happily wearing my buff-colored glasses,

1/04/2024 12:02 am  #72

BGF wrote:

I understand the ref-bashing, and the loss was disappointing, but I left the Charles E. tonight with nothing but satisfaction (even if it was muted without the victory).  It was a great game, one of the most entertaining I've seen at GW, and I was impressed with how player after player on both teams rose to the occasion when needed.

Also, I do believe that this game being pre-semester start hurt us.  With no students there and Fordham bringing a really large contingent of fans (most sitting on every side of my seats), this felt like a road game at times.  

I remain optimistic, sitting in my corner happily wearing my buff-colored glasses,

I second that emotion

am I wrong or was this the best game since the victory over Virginia 5 or 6(?) years ago

1/04/2024 12:22 am  #73

You can blame the refs.   You can blame the absence of the students.   You can blame the disjointed offense which primarily consisted of Buchanan and Bishop beating their respective defenders one on one.  You can blame the rebounding.   In the end, we lost because this team simply cannot defend.  We cannot defend the three.  We cannot defend the post.  We cannot defend the lane.   We just can't defend.  So many opportunities to take control at the end of regulation and the OTs with a defensive stop and we just couldn't do so.   The offense is light years ahead of the defense right now, and no matter how many individual weekly awards we may pile up, until this team learns how to play defense, we will be mired in mediocrity.   We were also exhausted at the end of the game,  having gone 7 players over 55 minutes, 2 of whom (the 2 true freshman) having given us very little throughout the game.   I have no idea why upper classman Harvey and Smith got so little playing time during the OOC to the extent that they are pretty much useless to us right now.  Very disappointing loss to say the least.   

1/04/2024 6:49 am  #74

Exciting game, disappointing at the end but what a game to watch in person. 

Benny would have helped give us a few. 

LSF - I think Harvey is a great kid and ambassador for the school- not an A10 level player.  Very slow on defense - would not be able to stay with their bigs or handle the pick and roll.  Not even close to a good option even for a few minutes.    He will only see the floor in blowouts.

1/04/2024 8:14 am  #75

dmvpiranha wrote:

There are times GW could have boxed out better for sure, but I see many of the offensive rebounds the same as diving for a loose ball. I'm not saying guys aren't diving on the floor or battling on the glass but for several seasons now (across coaches) it feels like GW never comes out on the winning side of the 50-50 loose balls. Sure there were a few the team won tonight but Fordham seemed to win those 80% or more of the time.

What's off is this has been so noticeable across several seasons and coaches (along with carelessness and butterfingers on offense). You have to want the ball and go get it.  Except for Max, it seems that so many balls off the defensive glass are there for the taking, but unless the ball actually lands on someone's chest with arms already clutched, the opponent will take it right away.  Is it too much thinking about the next sequence instead of simply reacting and getting the ball first and then considering your next step.  We do have young players, but I often wonder about this team's mental lapses--not just on defense, but even the number of times Stretch is left alone with ball without anyone recognizing that someone needs to help him, get the ball, and take over.     

In our defense, in at least three noticeable instances where we fought hard for 50/50 loose balls, we got whistled for the foul.  I would not say these weren't fouls, but the inconsistency of officiating is maddening--although that's a problem in 90% of the games I watch.     

Last edited by Merrick (1/04/2024 8:15 am)

1/04/2024 9:59 am  #76

Rebounding has always been effort.  Not seeing it here. Giving up way too many offensive boards. And D? 
Well, I'm glad the moniker change has made a big difference in attendance. Not. 

1/04/2024 10:38 am  #77

My top 10 points from the Fordham loss:

1) I do give a lot of credit to Fordham.  They won a game in which it appeared to me as if both teams desperately wanted to win.  And in my heart of hearts, I felt they deserved to win.

2) Reminiscent of a season ago, we played 4 players 51 minutes apiece, a 5th 45 minutes, and just two more players less than 20 minutes apiece.  The difference of course is that last year's distribution of minutes amongst very few players was done out of necessity.  There is little point in adding depth to your roster if you're not going to use it.  Two points related to this.  First, if ever there was a match-up that justified the use of a longer bench, it would be against a Fordham team who pressed a bit, applied some form of full court pressure almost every GW possession, and otherwise managed to exhaust our players by the third overtime.  Second, it's very easy to get caught up in playing your best players as much as possible to maximize your chance at winning, but what often gets lost is how much more effective these players might be if only they had received a bit more rest during the game.  Nobody is suggesting that guys like Antoine or Zam should be challenging Jun or Garrett for starting roles, but giving them 5-7 minutes in a game like this strikes me as the sensible thing to do.  CC has remarked that this year's depth means that we won't have to play guys into the ground like last year.  Last night was a failure in that regard.

3) Bench points:  Fordham 43, GW 2.  Not a typo.

4) Not sure how much "havoc" remains under Ryan Odom at VCU but I won't be surprised in any case  if the Fordham loss has a carry over effect on Saturday due to fatigue.

5)  As many have pointed out, there is something fundamentally wrong with this team's defense.  I get that Stretch is often slow to get out on the perimeter but Fordham had 5 different players make at least two three point shots, en route to 19 for the game.  That can't all be on Stretch.  What was especially disheartening was that there were several occasions where GW was so slow to react to switches that the Fordham shooter would take his sweet time lining up his shot with no GW player even making an effort to get close.  Maybe this was somehow to conserve energy (my best case scenario theory) but it ended up resulting in the look of a beaten team, multiple times.

6) It would be tough to identify any basketball game where the sole reason for losing would be the officiating.  That said, this trio did not help.  It seemed like every 50/50 ball where both teams are hustling to make a play and at least in my book, fouls should not be called unless they are obvious/egregious, resulted in calls against GW.  Plus, there were seemingly dozens of non-calls that looked to be obvious fouls against Fordham.  The sense I had was that these refs were realizing in real time how bad they were, and that they lost confidence in themselves as the game went on.  As a result, there was no consistency to their calls or non-calls, which is all any coach should want from an officiating crew.  It was a testament to CC that he did not get T'd up.  I know I would have in his shoes.

7) A definite coming out party for Jun.  The game-plan was obvious, making it not at all surprising that our assist total was low.  38 points is tremendous but I do think it bears pointing out that in 51 minutes, DBJ had 5 turnovers without a single assist.  The next evolution of his game is going to have to be to recognize the double teams and find the open player when there simply isn't a path for him to score.

8) Was very happy to see Max back in the fold.  He did not force shots, went for 13 and 11, and was one of the few (let's put Jacoi in this category as well) who fought like hell during this game.  He also had a couple of very critical putbacks.

9) JB is so easy to take for granted but he was very into this game last night.  A quiet (for him) 32 points, 5 defensive rebounds (he used to be 50/50 to grab 1 rebound in a given game), 6 assists, and how about 3 blocked shots!

10) With the offense so completely focused on Jun going 1 on 1 against a smaller defender, it appeared that Garrett became the forgotten man last night despite still managing to score 17.  He can not be on the court for 51 minutes and take a grand total of 3 three point attempts (he made 2 of these).  He's way too much of a weapon to essentially be used as a decoy.

1/04/2024 11:36 am  #78

Admitedly I am one of those "winning isn't everything, its the only thing" type of person, and that if my team doesn't win, the game wasn't fun, but I will admit that the Fordham game was an incredible experience and a reminder why I have remained a season ticket holder for over 40 years.   The desire to win on both teams, the stratgeizing, both coaches working their asses off,  the expression on the players faces, the ability to hit huge shots, the high shooting percentages, including from the line (neither team was going to help the other by going cold on the free throws), so many lead changes in the 2nd half and in the OTs....it is why I love the games.  Too bad the students and cheer team weren't there to add to the experience.   That play drawn up by Caputo ane exectuted perfectly by the team with about 2 seconds left in one of the OTs and GW down 2, in which Buchanan got opened for the dunk, was a work of art.   Damn shame we lost the game.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (1/04/2024 11:55 am)

1/04/2024 2:10 pm  #79

1/04/2024 3:19 pm  #80

Will add game comments in a while.
But this is certainly an accurate, but tough love perspective from the GWradio link above. We played with a lot of heart, but this is also some advice to take to heart. Fordham was 6-7 going into the game and we were 11-2.
   "In a game that GW tried their best to lose with a horrible defensive performance, it was ultimately Fordham luck and inconsistent officiating from the famous Atlantic 10 referees that downed the Revolutionaries (11-3, 0-1 A10) 119-113 in triple overtime in the Smith Center on Wednesday night.

The GW squad came into this first A-10 matchup having won their previous five games, although all of them were against vastly inferior teams and most of them were not as convincing as they should have been. In these games it could be said GW was playing down to their opponents, often looking disjointed on both sides of the ball. This game, against the lesser but feisty Rams (7-7, 1-0 A10), was a way to get headed on the right path in what is sure to be a dogfight of a conference schedule. "

Board footera