GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2024 1:35 pm  #41

Re: GW umass Game

Bishop 2 for 14.

1/20/2024 1:37 pm  #42

We seem to have no idea. Their freshmen look pretty good.

1/20/2024 1:39 pm  #43

Can they play any worse? Ugh! 79-57

1/20/2024 1:42 pm  #44

I hope not. Play like this and Richmond will be worse.

1/20/2024 1:44 pm  #45

I thought we were doomed when Loyola beat them in the last seconds the other day. Really got them motivated to do damage to the next opponent. Sure did.81-57

1/20/2024 1:44 pm  #46

The announcer just said UMASS’ NIL has “done a great job procuring talent.”

That’s literally what NiL collectives are supposed to be forbidden from doing.  The whole system is totally broken, probably just need to drop the Nail charade and just let teams pay players if teams are going to violate the rules so openly.

1/20/2024 1:45 pm  #47

Might be Bishop’s worst game as a Colonial/Rev… Oh well, all teams have a bad game every once in a while. They need to forget this game ASAP and play strong at Richmond.

1/20/2024 1:45 pm  #48

Came out of the second half like two completely different teams. UMass coach deserves credit for making adjustments to correct what he saw .  We couldn’t answer.

1/20/2024 1:45 pm  #49

How did Rhode Island wipe them up?

1/20/2024 1:50 pm  #50

Bishop picked a bad time to have a bad game. What's the team record for turnovers?

1/20/2024 1:53 pm  #51

Free Quebec wrote:

That’s literally what NiL collectives are supposed to be forbidden from doing.  The whole system is totally broken, probably just need to drop the Nail charade and just let teams pay players if teams are going to violate the rules so openly.

Caught that too. Gross.

Another thing the announcer said which I agree with is how the NET really values running up the score. No reason Cohen and some of the other starters for UMass should’ve been out there as long as they were.

1/20/2024 1:59 pm  #52

Boy, do I respect what James Bishop almost always gives the team. This team needs to score 80 to win; so today is not a surprise. Big challenge. How do they rebound?

1/20/2024 2:01 pm  #53

GW0509 wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Caught that too. Gross.

Another thing the announcer said which I agree with is how the NET really values running up the score. No reason Cohen and some of the other starters for UMass should’ve been out there as long as they were.

BUT UMASS did not run up the score

1/20/2024 2:34 pm  #54

The boys were due for a fall. Same problems keep coming up that they mostly and luckily overcame. Not today. The problems can be summarized as sloppy overall play:  poor 3-point defense, not blocking out on defensive rebounds (we are not a tall team and need to do a much better job), spotty free throw shooting (unlike earlier in the season), poor decision-making with the ball, etc. These things must be corrected if we are to succeed in still-to-come, tough league games. No patsies this year. I know we are very young and inexperienced, but we have too many games under our belt now to keep making the same mistakes. Also  when the starters are struggling, coach needs to play Weluch Ume, Schroeder, Smith and even Harvey more. At least in todays' game, Schroeder and Harvey made their free throws--something the team has been struggling with lately.

1/20/2024 2:53 pm  #55

FredD wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Caught that too. Gross.

BUT UMASS did not run up the score

Exactly. Very classy of Frank Martin.

1/20/2024 4:28 pm  #56

Points in the paint 44-22 them. We weren’t quick enough to keep them out of the paint and our rim protector didn’t protect.

1/20/2024 4:36 pm  #57

I was hoping we could keep it within two possessions on the road, but all the credit to UMass. They defended very well all game, especially against JB. I don't know that I've seen a team defend him as well as UMass did today. There were virtually no driving lanes for him to get going as the helpside defender always rotated preventing him from going to his left (JB shot just 2 FTs), and obviously his outside shot was not falling today. Even one of his two makes from the field required a friendly bounce in order to go in. I don't even think the other key guys on the team shot the ball that poorly for the most part, but it's tough when JB can't get it going. His timing was off which also led to traveling calls and untimed passes to other players.

As FQ mentioned, unfortunately the struggles on offense affected the defense, especially in transition in the second half. GW got caught under screens at times, but didn't do terribly defending in the halfcourt for much of the game (Garrett had some tough assignments on that end as well). Cohen as a crafty big was expected to be a tough matchup for Stretch.

Obviously the silly turnovers continue, especially in transition. Too much dribbling into traffic and not possessing the ball cleanly when making a move. UMass put on a clinic moving the ball, as was expected coming into the game. It's unfair to compare a young team to last year's veteran unit, but this team isn't as adept at scoring inside (although the team is obviously a lot better at shooting the 3). Jun and JB are exceptions.

GW did a nice job on the boards for the most part. I expected us to get killed on that front, but maybe Cross being out helped. On top of that, we got a lot of second chance opportunities (partly due to missing more shots than usual I guess).

It will be interesting to see how the team responds. This is one of the harder stretches of the schedule with Richmond and Dayton on the road within the next week or so.

MVCOLONIAL wrote:

Bishop picked a bad time to have a bad game.

To be fair, is there ever a good time to have a bad game?

moneybox wrote:

The boys were due for a fall. Same problems keep coming up that they mostly and luckily overcame. Not today. The problems can be summarized as sloppy overall play:  poor 3-point defense, not blocking out on defensive rebounds (we are not a tall team and need to do a much better job), spotty free throw shooting (unlike earlier in the season), poor decision-making with the ball, etc. These things must be corrected if we are to succeed in still-to-come, tough league games. No patsies this year. I know we are very young and inexperienced, but we have too many games under our belt now to keep making the same mistakes. Also  when the starters are struggling, coach needs to play Weluch Ume, Schroeder, Smith and even Harvey more. At least in todays' game, Schroeder and Harvey made their free throws--something the team has been struggling with lately.

Agree with part of this, although I thought the rebounding effort was pretty good today from GW. I'm not understanding why the FT shooting is being discussed so often on here because that hasn't been a major issue outside of like two games (which is bound to happen over the course of the season for any team). GW shot 80% from the line today, and over 80% on Monday against GMU. Most of the guys who see major action for GW are all above 80% for the season outside of Stretch and Jun. Akingbola doesn't get to the FT line very often, so this discussion is more of a Jun thing. DBJ has been excellent everywhere else this year, but given he's #2 in the conference in FT rate after Holmes he's going to have to convert a bit more often from the line, no doubt about that.

I also think CC did give those other guys minutes today when the starters were struggling, although all of them had some lapses defensively.

Board footera