GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2024 10:50 am  #41

Re: GW vs La Salle Game

I think we're all finding out that even the lower echelon teams of the A10 have more talent and are better coached than the vast majority of OOC opponents we faced.  The 3-1 record to begin A10 play could easily have been 4-0 but it also could have easily been 1-3.  Since that time, we are 0-3 with none of those games coming close to eventually becoming a win.  We are playing the same way and our conference opponents are reading what we're doing and are finding ways to exploit weaknesses.  If we don't show new wrinkles on both sides of the ball, we should expect more of the same.  A few things I would consider:

1) When playing together, make Jacoi the point guard and JB the off guard.  Not only is Jacoi more reliable with the ball but JB at the 1 has become too predictable.

2) To maximize JB's effectiveness, let's run plays where he benefits from curls off of screens.  Similarly, let's start setting more screens to free up our better three point shooters.  Guys without the ball are just standing around anyhow; let's put them to work.

3) These points are not to say that we should abandon JB and Jun taking the ball to the hole from the top of the key.  Not at all.  But, we can't be running this on practically every half court possession.  It's become too easy to read and defend against.

4)  This team really must find ways on defense to go over screens without fouling three point shooters.  I can understand wanting to keep Stretch out of foul trouble, which is more difficult to do when your defense is extending.  However, so many of our losses have been the result of opponents getting hot from 3 whether they came into the game as good three point shooting teams or not.  You have to believe that opposing coaches are telling their players that you WILL get open 3's against GW, thereby fueling these shooters' confidence.

1/29/2024 10:53 am  #42

And here we go ... 

A few losses and the coach was outcoached, needs to consult with a sports psychologist, doesn't work on three-point defense, the OOC schedule is coming back to bite us, etc. 

Or maybe it is just college basketball where we have a largely young and inexperienced team that is going to experience ups and downs over the course of the season - this being the down phase. This, of course, has been pointed out numerous times over the course of the season including by CC but no one seems to want to believe it. 

But if you want to discuss the specifics of the loss on Saturday. Hard to win when you go 3-18 from three, there is no ball movement on offense (7 assists) and you allow two guards on the other team to basically dog walk you into the post. I am pretty sure CC didn't tell them to stop moving the ball, miss three point shots, or allow their guards to dog walk them into the post. Fix one of those three and we probably win, Fix two of three and we definitely win. Bad execution leads to bad results.

The sky is not falling anymore than we were going to the NCAAs at 3-1. This is a young team and a work in progress. Same as it was two months ago. There will be another up phase without the sports psychologist, the same OOC schedule, CC teaching defense the same way and coaching the same way. That's how this works. Might want to get used to the ups and downs this year. It will save you some angst.

Last edited by GWRising (1/29/2024 10:56 am)

1/29/2024 11:29 am  #43

Two things can be true at once. Yes, the nature of college hoops, and especially young teams, is up and down, up and down. But that does not mean that we can't help things along through coaching adjustments and turning to other resources like a sports psychologist who can try to address some of the attitudes/player responses to certain situations, such as playing sloppily on account of over-confidence and then losing composure when the other team unexpectedly dominates the game.

1/29/2024 11:41 am  #44

Class 'o 70 wrote:

Two things can be true at once. Yes, the nature of college hoops, and especially young teams, is up and down, up and down. But that does not mean that we can't help things along through coaching adjustments and turning to other resources like a sports psychologist who can try to address some of the attitudes/player responses to certain situations, such as playing sloppily on account of over-confidence and then losing composure when the other team unexpectedly dominates the game.

Who is "we"?

And second, do you think some of these issues can be fixed better through experience (game and practice reps) or by a sports psychologist? I find it strange that no one suggested we needed a sports psychologist just 2 weeks ago when we beat Davidson. 

Third, when did we lose composure? I wasn't aware of any fights, technical fouls, or arguing amongst teammates on Saturday. What we lost was execution. Big difference between that and composure.

1/29/2024 12:45 pm  #45

“We” have all heard that old winning proverb of “checking your ego at the door.”

I think that Max and JB are still grappling with their adjustments to this team.  Last year they played a ridiculous number of minutes in a 6 man rotation. The roles were clearly defined by matter of necessity and survival. Now 8 new players are added to the sandbox and some of the egos were not checked at the door.

I’m sure CC is aware.  He even commented at A10 media day that now JB needs to become a winner.

It may reach a point where we start a game by pressing from the opening tap and subbing often.  Heck, what good is it to have 1 team foul over 18 minutes of second half??  That’s not imposing our will!  That’s called playing SOFT on our heels. 

Am confident that we will have plenty to cheer about with this team.  They need some more time.

1/29/2024 2:44 pm  #46

The foul disparity was odd, quite possibly for an apparent reason, as it was not us benefitting from home calls.
While you often hear about having a foul to give or even a couple of fouls to give, giving 5 fouls in a row purposely (it may have been six) was quite unusual.
   In the LaSalle game we were heavily favored and at home, so there's no reason not to talk about it.
Otherwise, all we'd have to do is talk about the overly loud PA system, another part of the fun fan experience.
  The Charmin OOC schedule, which would even have made a former nearby coach blush if he were still alive, may be coming back to bite us. Perhaps Fordham (at home) seemed more formidable because we weren't used to A-10 level competition.
    After showing a new look right at the start, we do seem to have reverted to the same things that doomed us in recent years. James dribbling around waiting for an opportunity (now joined by Jun), failure to free up our best 3-point shooter, and making career games and team records for 3-point shooting against us. Amongst other issues.
     We have really good talent, handicapped only by our size, including 4 of the better, if not best A-10 players, along with a shot blocker. Our coach is very knowledgeable, and basketball experienced at a higher level.
     LaSalle beat us thoroughly at home. So, it may be worth thinking about what could be changed, given what this board is about.
   And for the team, the seeds of a comeback can be planted, at least, at Dayton.  

1/29/2024 2:45 pm  #47

GWRising wrote:

And here we go ... 

A few losses and the coach was outcoached, needs to consult with a sports psychologist, doesn't work on three-point defense, the OOC schedule is coming back to bite us, etc. 

Or maybe it is just college basketball where we have a largely young and inexperienced team that is going to experience ups and downs over the course of the season - this being the down phase. This, of course, has been pointed out numerous times over the course of the season including by CC but no one seems to want to believe it. 

But if you want to discuss the specifics of the loss on Saturday. Hard to win when you go 3-18 from three, there is no ball movement on offense (7 assists) and you allow two guards on the other team to basically dog walk you into the post. I am pretty sure CC didn't tell them to stop moving the ball, miss three point shots, or allow their guards to dog walk them into the post. Fix one of those three and we probably win, Fix two of three and we definitely win. Bad execution leads to bad results.

The sky is not falling anymore than we were going to the NCAAs at 3-1. This is a young team and a work in progress. Same as it was two months ago. There will be another up phase without the sports psychologist, the same OOC schedule, CC teaching defense the same way and coaching the same way. That's how this works. Might want to get used to the ups and downs this year. It will save you some angst.

And for a limited time only, you too can receive GWRising's greatest hits.  Like this one.

The only thing more predictable than our play of late is Rising playing the role of Coach Apologist.

Do coaches EVER get outcoached?  Or, is it always about execution?

Are there EVER reasons why young, less experienced teams lose?  Or, is it always because they are young and inexperienced, and nothing more than this?

Rising's position that GW is doing the same things when they went 3-1 in conference only further feeds into my argument.  The team is not changing and opponents are now better prepared to play against GW.  Yes, it was very apparent that Fran Dunphy outcoached Chris Caputo on Saturday.  No great shame in this but it's simply the hard truth.

If guys shoot 3-18 from 3, is this execution or coaching?  Clearly it's execution but it could also be both.  How is the team being coached to get open three point shots?  Are any picks being set to free up the better three point shooters, as an example?

If there is no ball movement on offense (7 assists), is this execution or coaching?  Hard to exonerate coaching altogether on this one.  When one player (either JB or Jun) is tasked with taking the ball to the hole and to try to score while his teammates stand by ready to catch a pass if he gets in trouble, and this is really the only half court offense being run on every half court possession, how can we conclude that this is not coaching?

Meanwhile, myself and others are attempting to point out real problems and how to fix them.  We may not have the answers; in fact, let's for argument's sake say we don't.  However, we are advocating for not playing the same way for 40 minutes each game and for not repeatedly making the same mistakes.  We are advocating for Plan B's and Plan C's when teams have seemingly figured out the team's Plan A.

And what you seem to be advocating for is for anyone who cares about the team and wants the team to improve to stay silent, keep our opinions to ourselves, pretend that we are sheep, and just conclude that constructive opinions aren't warranted because after all, this team is young and inexperienced, so that's that.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (1/29/2024 2:51 pm)

1/29/2024 5:39 pm  #48

​I'm still a working stiff and can't follow college basketball 24/7, but I'm in the give CC a break camp. He is in just his second year as CEO and notwithstanding all of his assistant coach experience, is still learning the job himself.  

I don't think we've fully reckoned how the NIL and transfer portal era is going to create a lot of volatility in the game--as we've already witnessed with so many topsy-turvy games and unexpected losses even with upper echelon schools. 

It was already hard enough to recruit and build programs under the old rules where newcomers were mostly freshman and sophomores (not immediate transfers) who took time to learn the college game and a coach's system.  Now, you're not only mixing and matching multiple starters who've hardly played together and learning, but you're also trying to keep your talent happy enough (and compensated!) such that they don't want to walk out the door at the first opportunity. Comparison is the thief of joy and there's lot of opportunity for comparison these days.  How many talented kids today are saying, "I'll just sit, learn, work hard, and wait for my chance in two years!"  I'm sure there are many, but a lot fewer than just a few years ago. 

Thus, a coach today has to be even more of an x and o's person, teacher, motivator, shrink, in-game tactician alumni relationship builder and more!  At GW, you also have to be confident that you can get your kids a better slice of the NIL dollars surely dangling someplace else. 

More than CC, I worry a lot more about the dynamics of NIL, the rich getting richer in terms of TV and booster money, tourney slots, and eventual efforts to really squeeze most of the mid-majors into a development league for the P6 with a few crumbs heading back our way.   

I think it's going to take five-to-ten years to determine who are the best coaches in this environment.  The ones who can balance most of these demands will rise to the top.  Many looking good now may not look so good a few years later.  It's a different sport and not professional, but how often do we see new NHL coaches come in new, light a fire under a team, bring them playoff success or even a Cup--then their teams no longer respond even a year or two later and they get fired.  Were they brilliant when they got hired, get stupid, or just not learn to adapt?   For now, the only thing I really have is patience.  

1/29/2024 6:03 pm  #49

Good post Merrick.  Just in case my position is being misconstrued (I suppose that's not hard to do on a message board), let me clarify the following:

1) I am a huge fan of CC both on and off the court.

2) I think he possesses a great combination of understanding the game and relating well to his players.  He's also hired assistants who are promising up and comers.

3) Am I really not giving CC a break by stating he was out-coached on Saturday?  He's also done plenty of "out-coaching" himself over the past season and a half.  I don't expect my opinion to be a popular one (as in we never want to see or admit to CC being out-coached) but I think if you saw how how LaSalle defended, how they set up for 3's, and how they took advantage of a midrange game that GW's defense made available to them, I think it's very hard not to conclude that Dunphy got the better of the coaching match-up on Saturday. 

Fortunately, we get another crack at La Salle later in the year.  I hope the team will be better prepared for that game.

1/30/2024 10:00 am  #50

I was hoping to hear CC's thoughts postgame but nothing was posted. I'm sure it will end up getting posted after another game or two will have passed by which point it will no longer be relevant. It's incredible that year after year the school continues to be so cavalier with this.

I too am a fan of what CC has done to improve the team this year and build support off the court, but no one coaches a perfect game. The one thing that stuck out from Saturday was him putting Stretch in for a three minute period in the first half and then another three minute period in the second half when La Salle opted to go small (without Jocius). Akingbola is definitely one of the better defenders on the team, but it felt like the wrong time to play him especially since he isn't much of an offensive threat. After that point, Brickus put him on skates and made a layup and then Shepherd hit a 3 as Stretch failed to close out. To Akingbola's credit, he held up a lot better in the three minutes after halftime that the Explorers went small, but this is more of a comment about why he was subbed in than him doing something right or wrong. It felt like a bad matchup thing on both sides of the ball and GW only fell behind more after both occurrences.

I rewatched a few parts of the game here and there. The offense wasn't as bad as I remember it being. JB and Jun both had possessions where they could have given up the ball, but I noticed that in the first half GW missed roughly seven or so shots in transition/on a fast break. Max missed a 3, Jun took a contested midrange, Jacoi missed a 3, Jacoi/Trey missed a layup off a good steal from Jacoi, JB missed a layup, Zam missed a 3, Jun had a turnover in transition before halftime. GW is up at the break and feeling a little better if even half of those go down. I didn't see many chances in transition in the second half, but they were certainly there before halftime.

Defensively, it felt like when La Salle burned GW many times it was either: 1) a second GW defender came to help when honestly it wasn't needed and then no one picked up the La Salle player left open as a result or 2) when any La Salle player drove into the paint way too many players collapsed leaving the perimeter completely exposed. A few GW guys sagged off their man too much along the perimeter but weren't really doing anything in the paint to excuse that. La Salle on the other hand didn't leave GW's perimeter left as unguarded so most threes that GW shot were actually contested. It's a combination of execution, youth, and communication but it also seems GW overdoes bringing help defenders on that side of the ball. Brickus was feeling it at the end of the game (I think he made four shots in a row), but was also left open on many of those chances.

On the rewatch, Trey did actually hold up a bit better defensively on some possessions than I originally saw, but Max was rough defensively, whether it was being blown by a La Salle player or closing out late. I do think he can turn it around though.

1/30/2024 10:02 am  #51

One thing I always like to look at in determining coaching in any particular game is by looking at the shots they took as opposed to looking at the shots that we took.    Lasalle seemed to be getting open looks for most of the game and we were taking low percentage shots for most of the game.    That goes to game plan, does it not?     As for loss of composure, I feel that this has been a problem the last 3 games.   Each time we seemed to become unglued in the second half when the other team would go on a run.   When the opponant would score 2-3 consecutive baskets, we far to frequently responded by an ill advised, quick, hero ball type low percentage shot, and pretty soon a managable 4-8 point deficit became double digits, and the game was lost.   Our offense seems to be dribble, dribble, dribble drive, then throw up a highlight reel pass or throw the ball away by attempting a low percentage pass while leaving the feet.  I would hope that coaching can fix that.  Make no mistake about it...there are major holes in this team (mostly defensive) that need to be fixed.    Further, it doesn't help when your two best players are slumping.  In those last 3 games, BIshop shot  13-49  and Max was 9-28, including no made field goals vs. Lasalle.   Max apparently has let his poor shooting pour over into his defense also.  These are things that need to be fixed.  And why can't someone teach them that you don't leave your feet unless the offensive player has already picked up the dribble.  And as mentioned frequently...go through the screen, rather than switching, which invariably results in an unfavorable mismatch.   I love the coach...don't get me wrong, but some of this slump has to be on the coaching staff.

1/30/2024 10:21 am  #52

Gwmayhem, I hate to break it to you but the whole notion of "outcoaching" is a farcical one in about 95% of games. Ask coaches. If you knew how both teams prepared and scouted you would know this. With modern analytics and Synergy, there aren't many secrets. What usually happens is that someone outperforms or underperforms and that is what decides games. There is an old expression that you should learn - "It's not about the X's and O's but the Jimmies and the Joes." It is true more than ever in this age of NIL, transfers, etc. You need to get with the times. This isn't 40 years ago when coaches had players for 4 years so they could make adjustments on the fly that would surprise the other coach because analytics and great scouting techniques did not exist. The game has changed and I suggest you learn to change with it.

Before Gwmayhem misrepresents what I am saying, I am not saying coaches never have any influence or don't decide any games. But I think Gwmayhem way overstates their influence in deciding most games on game day including what we saw on Saturday. The much more probable answer is we had poor execution because we have shown the ability to execute against more talented teams than La Salle. To be fair, you will never see me come on here and say CC outcoached the other coach. It works both ways. 

Again, I'd suggest you talk to a lot of coaches about the notion of "outcoaching". Most will laugh and no one goes around privately crowing about how they outcoached the other guy on game day. Maybe out-recruited is as close as you will hear. If you defend, rebound, don't turn the ball over, and make shots you win. When you don't do some or all of those things you lose. It's a simple game really. The coach's main value is in recognizing and recruiting talent and employing it in a manner that can be successful for the talents recruited. It is also in day to day player development. What happens on game day is often either dictated well before (talent matchups) or as I mentioned above, underperformance or overperformance.

Last edited by GWRising (1/30/2024 10:24 am)

1/30/2024 2:03 pm  #53

In that case, maybe the sports psychologist should be the coach during the games.

1/30/2024 3:30 pm  #54

Every coach has a degree in psychology ... either a real one or one earned from years of dealing with personalities and team dynamics. In fact, coaches spend much time working on the psyche of the team and individuals. John Madden had one of best psychological philosophies which played off of John Wooden's admonition that too much praise and criticism ruin many careers: never let your team get too high or too low. Madden would go the opposite way for his teams so if they won, he hammered them because everyone else was telling them how good they were, and if they lost, he built them up because everyone else was telling them they suck. Seems like a pretty good understanding of sports psychology to me. But none of this really is effectively done on game day but rather in the hours of preparation prior to game day. I also remember a coach saying to me I'll rip your ass in practice like no other but I will never embarrass you on game day in front of your family and friends because it is counter-productive to getting you to perform at a high level. 

1/30/2024 5:07 pm  #55

As someone who watches college basketball maybe five days/nights per week on average, I am looking forward to my wife's reaction when I tell her that someone here thinks I am behind the times when it comes to this sport.

If I tend to overstate the influence that coaches have on game days,  it should be ironic that this is the first game all season where I have used the word "out-coached" to describe CC's night on Saturday.

I strongly suspect that most coaches not named Lane Kiffin would feel uncomfortable acknowledging that they out-coached their counterpart.   Coaching is a fraternity, many of these guys know one another and most have some level of respect for virtually all other coaches.  The assumption that "out-coaching" does not happen because most coaches would never acknowledge this is a badly flawed one to say the least. 

And by the way, I am all in on the point that CC or any coach can be out-coached based on the game plan they roll out.  In fact, that's really what I am suggesting happened on Saturday.  Why did we allow so many open looks?  Why was the offense so stagnant whenever the Explorer defense doubled down on the JB and Jun drives?  Why did the ball movement stink?  Why did GW not try anything new when the game plan wasn't working?  Shouldn't game planning include some plan B's or contingencies in the event that the opponent is getting the better of GW?

I fully understand that bad play can directly be linked to execution.  However, Rising seems to be suggesting that bad play can never be linked to coaching (OK, not never.  Only 95% of the time.) GW looked unprepared to deal with adversity on Saturday, and I'm afraid that does start with coaching.

1/30/2024 5:46 pm  #56

As a longtime fan of GW and the game of bball at all levels, the formula for winning is the combo of good coaching, talent, chemistry, and fundamentals. Yes, the buck stops at the top but many factors have to blend to be a winner.

I was struck by how utterly deflated the team looked in the 2nd half of La Salle during one of the timeouts.  They looked like the last place they wanted to be was at Smitty.

IMO, Jacoi, Stretch, and Jun are the only ones playing with any passion.  It needs to spread to everyone else!! Heck Benny is hungrier than many. 

Time to hit the reset button and get fired up!! How bout a few hard fouls (legal of course) and some in rhythm offense.  We need some Joe Mac and Zeek energy.  We can do it!!  I predict some new wrinkles from Coach C.

Last edited by H&R..71 (1/30/2024 5:48 pm)

Board footera