GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2024 8:46 pm  #81

Re: GW vs Dayton Game

Announcers have made their point about 100 times. We get it - enough already.

1/30/2024 8:48 pm  #82

Great minutes from Schroeder. Biggest positive of the game so far.

1/30/2024 8:48 pm  #83

Dayton announcers really get what a mess we are. Do you hope Patsos is watching although I doubt he is listening because he never stops talking.

1/30/2024 8:49 pm  #84

While hoping to hold to less than a 19 point loss,actually like these guys getting some experience.
Benny should not shoot 3s,though.

1/30/2024 8:51 pm  #85

Like his energy, however

1/30/2024 8:54 pm  #86

With our starters done for the night, they’ll end at 1-24 from three over the last two games.

1/30/2024 8:58 pm  #87

Only bright side I can see is that 10 players scored, including 23 points off the bench.

1/30/2024 9:01 pm  #88

I'll respectfully disagree with those of you who thought the commentators did a good job. I thought the color guy in particular was awful. With that said I would rather talk about the play on the court than the announcers because there's plenty to discuss and fix

1/30/2024 9:06 pm  #89

Announcers were accurate about our failings.
But it verged on cruel to keep talking about it, however correctly.

1/30/2024 9:06 pm  #90

I thought the announcers were spot on but needed to give it a rest after a while.

1/30/2024 9:09 pm  #91

i wouldn't say they did a good job, i just thought the overly negative and critical shtick was kinda funny and added some levity to a really bad and frustrating game

Last edited by Hugh (1/30/2024 9:11 pm)

1/30/2024 9:19 pm  #92

gwstudent2024 wrote:

I'll respectfully disagree with those of you who thought the commentators did a good job. I thought the color guy in particular was awful. With that said I would rather talk about the play on the court than the announcers because there's plenty to discuss and fix

I’ll go. Losing the last four games in the manner we did is a setback for the leadership of Caputo. It’s fair to question his capability to hold players accountable and to stop doing the same things over and over when it’s not working. Probably not uncommon for a second year HC wrestling with talent levels etc. but watching Bishop stand around, look disinterested at times, or other guys chucking ridiculous threes with zero repercussions etc begs the question of what will he do to assert his leadership and send a message that clearly needs to be sent   

PS - whenever I’m started to think about critiquing the announcers I remembered Patsos and that dope from FloSports amd suddenly they started to sound like Marv Albert amd Johnny Most.

Last edited by Alum1 (1/30/2024 9:25 pm)

1/30/2024 9:23 pm  #93

The announcers were very different. Telling it like they saw it. (As we did) But the truth hurts. Something has to change with this group. It seems they forgot how to shoot let alone pass and move. I guess the cement shoes were the problem. 

1/30/2024 9:24 pm  #94

By the way, great comeback by the Bonnies against VCU.

1/30/2024 9:40 pm  #95

Koby Brea, who is statistically the #1 shooter in the country, made as many 3s as GW on 20 fewer attempts. Not sure much more needs to be said about the game beyond that stat.

I guess as a positive I'll say it doesn't look like this team has quit (yet) and at times I actually saw effort on defense. Dayton has few weaknesses offensively so the result on that side of the ball wasn't unexpected. I just wish at times we didn't bother doubling Holmes. Better to let him score than let the perimeter guys go off from 3. We know at this point that GW is poor at recovering off the double team why keep doing it?

The result wasn't unexpected but I am beyond disappointed by the offense. I think that has been hashed out by everyone on here but it was JV level bad. Dayton is a good defensive team but we looked straight up inept against them. I never thought I'd say that about Boisvert's scheme. You can blame it on the players and say they are young (blaming it all on the players would be a mistake - cue the "but CC didn't tell the players to hoist those shots all game" from a certain poster), but panicking and hoisting threes all game? GW may have scored 61 points, but that may have been the worst offensive display I've seen from the team in as long as I can remember. Yes, GW has been blown out by Dayton and VCU many times in the past, but GW looked like they peed their pants on that side of the ball. Even in previous blowouts, GW teams never just hoisted three after three like that. 8 assists? The team looked terrified to pass the ball against Dayton. It's almost like the Flyers knew where we wanted to go with the ball with every single pass. I know GW is very predictable on offense, but this was next level brutal. It felt like no jumpers fell for 3/4 of the game. Even the few well run plays and open shots clanked off the rim (Garrett had some good looks that didn't fall). ​But hey, you can't pile up turnovers if you don't pass the ball!

Jun scoring inside was the only thing that kept the team even afloat at times. How many players on GW would get minutes on Dayton? It felt tonight the only one was Jun.

I found myself just praying that Max make a shot for his sake. His confidence is visibly low right now. I feel for the guy.

It may have been in garbage time, but outside of Jun I liked what I saw from Jacoi (as usual), Benny, and Trey in particular looked to really step up. It looked like Autry really took on the challenge tonight even if he wasn't perfect.

Well the good news is that the team gets a week to prepare for a home game against URI. If no progress is made on both sides by then that will be very concerning. At least every opponent from here on out will be easier than this game.

1/30/2024 11:18 pm  #96

dmvpiranha wrote:

At least every opponent from here on out will be easier than this game.

The optimist in me wants to point out that we’ve already played the three best teams in the league on the road.

Though the pessimist in me thinks every opposing coach had figured out how to stop our offense and unless we start moving the ball and moving off the ball, it won’t matter who is left on the schedule.

1/31/2024 9:32 am  #97

Well, one thing we know for sure is that nobody was out-coached last night.  Not going down that path again.

In reality, I would be far more prone to cite being out-coached in a loss where a team had the superior talent, like the La Salle game.  Last night, the game plan appeared to be "if you have an open 3, take it". I suppose believing that this represented the best way of pulling off the upset,  GW took nearly 45% of their shot attempts from 3.  For teams who have beaten Dayton, Richmond took around 33%, Northwestern took 26%, and Houston was just under 32%.  So, maybe just a bit too much from 3.

There isn't a lot of point in over-analyzing this one.  Dayton is the superior team and was going to win practically regardless of how GW played.  Sure, say a five point loss last night would have us feeling better about the team.  Right now, they seem very lost, lack confidence, and are clearly frustrated.  The losses at UMASS and at Richmond were more than understandable but the upset loss to La Salle had a hangover effect.  Am not going to start critiquing young men who likely were not giving their all down 20+ points in the late stages of a game.  That's not ideal but I can comprehend the agitation.  Of far more concern is what led to the team essentially being out of the game by halftime.

The upcoming full week off could not come at a better time.  It is a chance to catch collective breaths and reset.  What might the team change or do differently to get back on track?  Or, will they study film of the first 4 conference games and conclude that they need to get back to doing x because that's gone away.  Probably a combination of the two.

1/31/2024 10:02 am  #98

1/31/2024 12:34 pm  #99

1/31/2024 2:30 pm  #100

We’ve heard plenty about the announcers of the Dayton game.  They were extremely accurate when they said the game had no rhythm.

Reminded me of the great Boban Marjanovic in the commercial where he becomes a new announcer.
“He bounces ball, he bounces ball, he bounces ball again and again”!

Board footera