GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2024 3:22 pm  #101

Re: GW vs Dayton Game

At the beginning of the game, after one of them said we use to be the "Colonels", I turned off my sound.

1/31/2024 3:57 pm  #102

If we didn't play so poorly, the announcers would have had very little or nothing negative to say. Don't kill the messenger! The players and coaches need to clean up their act if they don't want negative comments made about them. 

1/31/2024 4:12 pm  #103

Yes. Let's not beat up on the Dayton announcers. It was nice to have announcers who didn't just go on and on in favor of their team. Nice to hear that Dayton (or any team depending on the game) was not just winning because of its great play, but also because of poor play of opponent. Of course, we never expected a win at Dayton or even a loss by less than 10 points, but there has to be leftover frustrations from LaSalle and other recent losses where Bishop and Edwards just couldn't hit shots they should make. Rhode Island shoould be the easiest win on our schedule the rest of the season. Might be only game where we are favored the rest of the way. 

1/31/2024 4:17 pm  #104

Time to sit James and Max at the start of the game.  I think they spent too much time reading their press clippings prior to the start of the season.  A little pine time might help clarify their thoughts.

Last edited by BC (1/31/2024 4:17 pm)

1/31/2024 4:22 pm  #105

BC wrote:

Time to sit James and Max at the start of the game.  I think they spent too much time reading their press clippings prior to the start of the season.  A little pine time might help clarify their thoughts.

Yeah, let’s sit GW’s 4th (soon to be 3rd) all time scorer and last year’s A10 rookie of the year. That will show them that anonymous fan board posters care more about winning than them. God I’m glad you’re not our coach… Smdh…

1/31/2024 4:42 pm  #106

C'mon DC Native .. you must be new here. This board is filled with great coaches. I am sure CC regularly consults this board before determining who will play, what adjustments to make, etc. It's like having Wooden, Knight, Krzyzewski, and Smith right at your finger tips. You need to get with how things are done around here LOL.

1/31/2024 5:13 pm  #107

I certainly don’t have the answers to turn things around and trust CC to work through this rough patch. He’s walking a tightrope with Max and JB because it’s living or dying by the 3 and death by turnover.  I’ve been a JB fan and need to know if he’s 100%?  He looks thinner, weaker and slower and not finishing strong.  He’s also getting outmuscled.  Max looks stronger but is trying too hard and playing undisciplined sloppy ball.

How bout we do what UConn, FAU, and Marquette do (just to name a few.)  Implement the 2 second rule! 
Nobody gets to hold onto the ball for longer than a count of 2. Pass the damn ball, set a pick or make a cut!  No standing around.  Very frustrating to see what’s going  on away from the ball — nothing.

1/31/2024 5:32 pm  #108

Forget the Negative Nancys.
Let's just discuss the positives. For example, we aren't afraid to take 3 points at any time, no matter what the odds or outcome. How many teams can boast that?
And we actually allow our opponents to make their 3-point shots, sometimes in a record breaking manner, therefore making the game more challenging and exciting.

1/31/2024 9:33 pm  #109

jf wrote:

Forget the Negative Nancys.
Let's just discuss the positives. For example, we aren't afraid to take 3 points at any time, no matter what the odds or outcome. How many teams can boast that?
And we actually allow our opponents to make their 3-point shots, sometimes in a record breaking manner, therefore making the game more challenging and exciting.

If it makes you feel any better, RevsBall starts its season in just over two weeks at Old Dominion. Hey, all the Cowboys, Eagles and Ravens fans here are already counting down the days to pitchers and catchers reporting anyways (not me, I´m a Niners fan... VEGAS BABY!!!!).

https://gwsports.com/sports/baseball/schedule

1/31/2024 9:45 pm  #110

Yes Native, the thing to do is Nothing.  

1/31/2024 10:57 pm  #111

DC Native wrote:

BC wrote:

Yeah, let’s sit GW’s 4th (soon to be 3rd) all time scorer and last year’s A10 rookie of the year. That will show them that anonymous fan board posters care more about winning than them. God I’m glad you’re not our coach… Smdh…

Wouldn’t sit them at the beginning of a game, that’s just gratuitously embarrassing them. But I sure would yank them after two or three consecutive stupid plays like we’ve seen from Max and JB of late. What message does it send to the young players if your “leaders” are playing undisciplined ball, standing around, looking disinterested or basically checking out?  You want to be the man, then be the man.

2/01/2024 10:36 am  #112

Can't for the life of me understand why Coach allows his players to do whatever they want to do without any accountability. One-on-one offense, few or no apparent designed plays, heaving 3s even though the guys aren't making them, and on and on. Defense needs a lot of work too. It's one thing not to be too harsh with young players. It's another to literally ignore repeated mistakes. Does anyone have an explanation for Caputo's hands off policy?

2/01/2024 10:54 am  #113

moneybox wrote:

Can't for the life of me understand why Coach allows his players to do whatever they want to do without any accountability. One-on-one offense, few or no apparent designed plays, heaving 3s even though the guys aren't making them, and on and on. Defense needs a lot of work too. It's one thing not to be too harsh with young players. It's another to literally ignore repeated mistakes. Does anyone have an explanation for Caputo's hands off policy?

Yes, that's exactly what CC does - he allows his players to do whatever they want (I need a sarcasm font). There is no structure whatsoever lol. Perhaps you should coach the team so there will be some discipline. SMDH

2/01/2024 11:17 am  #114

Glad you saw a structured, disciplined approach to playing the game against Dayton, Rising.  Not suggesting the players were not listening to CC.  I think what CC was saying was that if you have an open 3, take it.  Aside from this, it was challenging to follow the offensive game plan.

2/01/2024 12:20 pm  #115

Gwmayhem wrote:

Glad you saw a structured, disciplined approach to playing the game against Dayton, Rising.  Not suggesting the players were not listening to CC.  I think what CC was saying was that if you have an open 3, take it.  Aside from this, it was challenging to follow the offensive game plan.

I would hope you would agree that there is a whole lot of distance between the Dayton game offense was not cohesive and well organized in its execution and CC allows his players to do whatever they want.

Last edited by GWRising (2/01/2024 12:21 pm)

2/01/2024 12:55 pm  #116

Of course I agree with that.  But again, you chose the words "in its execution" which says to me that the players failed to perform according to plan.  To which I ask, what do you think the offensive plan was for this game besides to take an open 3 when you get one?

Quite seriously, this game had the look of GW playing in a pickup game.  They took nearly half their shots from 3 and were missing practically all of them.  

And what I think is frustrating many fans here is that the pick setting has been greatly reduced, the around the perimeter passing to find an open man has gone away, and player movement without the ball is practically non-existent.  So, I think if you want to continue to defend the position that this really isn't about coaching and is far more about execution (whereas I firmly believe it's both), then please enlighten the board as to what CC wanted the offense to achieve and any other insight you can offer with respect to the game plan on offense.

2/01/2024 3:06 pm  #117

On the whole, GW's three-point shooting is actually pretty good. They're 67th in the NCAA in shooting percentage, and rank only 82nd in the nation in attempts. It's really freaking hard to shoot well at UD Arena, and their performance at Dayton needs to be considered an aberration. 

I'm much more worried about perimeter defense. I know it doesn't feel that way, but GW's opponent 3FG% is actually only 7th-worst in the conference (opponents are shooting 33.7% against GW). Dayton's opponents are shooting 30.8% from three overall, and 26.7% in conference. UD Arena's atmosphere probably has a lot to do with it. 

Not only is Dayton getting their opponents to take lower-percentage shots, they're also giving up fewer attempts. Dayton opponents are attempting 22 threes a game, and GW opponents are taking 27 (which ranks 16th in the nation!). 

It's possible that Caputo is trying to induce bad three-point attempts the way Richmond does (their giving up a lot of attempts but only at a 30% clip), but instead we're inviting opponents to take good looks from the perimeter.

2/01/2024 3:12 pm  #118

I am by no means an expert, but it seems to me that Caputo's main approach is transition offense. This worked early in the year when we were playing teams that were slower and less athletic. But it didn't work at all against Dayton, which has a lot of speed and was able to get back on defense. So why were players chucking up 3s early in the shot clock? Perhaps because they couldn't get to the basket early in the shot clock. And if our 3s were falling at a season average, the game would have at least been competitive. Later in the game, when we were playing against Dayton's backups, we were able to score in transition better, even with our backups. The problem I see is that now the cat's out of the bag in terms of how we like to score and therefore how teams should defend us. Everyone in the A10 has seen our last four games and will try to play us the same way. So Caputo is going to have to develop some half court offense, imho, if he wants to win more games this season.

2/01/2024 4:47 pm  #119

Without getting into the weeds too much, some of CC's offense is designed to get guys going downhill off of ball screens and then to make reads - especially JBIV. The reads can be kick outs to the ball side, baseline cutters, pick and rolls in the post, guys circling back for threes up top, exchanges on wings (handoffs to ball screens). Some of it is designed to get isolations. There is a structure although there is freedom. Now when guys don't make the right reads it leads to turnovers. When guys get stagnant off the ball it leads to limited options. Depending on how ball screens are guarded it leads to more or less threes. What is available is dictated partly by us and partly by the defense. We also push the ball to transition when we can.

So when you play this style of offense it depends heavily on the right reads and what the defense is giving up. It appears that on Tuesday Holmes was an impacting factor and we were more comfortable reading (or settling) for open threes than attacking the rim. I am sure they were trying to get some north south action but for whatever reason it did not happen. You can only force so much as a coach especially where you have limited options and tough matchups.

2/02/2024 9:27 am  #120

creeksandzeeks wrote:

I'm much more worried about perimeter defense. I know it doesn't feel that way, but GW's opponent 3FG% is actually only 7th-worst in the conference (opponents are shooting 33.7% against GW). Dayton's opponents are shooting 30.8% from three overall, and 26.7% in conference. UD Arena's atmosphere probably has a lot to do with it. 

In conference games only, we are dead last in 3pt defense, with opponents shooting 41.1%.  If that were the percentage for the entire season (which thankfully it’s not), it would be the worst in the entire nation.

Board footera